Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Little fish, fifteen hours is awful little fish. What on earth is good about it little fish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Trast posted:

:Finishes Straight Silver:

God loving damnit. :smith:

But wait, there's more!! :munch:

edit: :unsmigghh:

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Yup, you've got it.

Wonderful story. The bit in the seminary with the 'baptism' is fantastic.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

I loved that story :(

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Infected Mushroom posted:

The first two Ghosts books aren't anywhere near as good as the rest, try starting the third before writing the series off.

Necropolis is the best book ever.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

lenoon posted:

One of the books will make you stop reading for a day or two. But I'm not going to tell you which one

Interesting. Which one?

God do I love Gaunt books. More than anything.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Umiapik posted:

Pariah stuff

Holy crap what a post. And a good post at that. I fully agree with your views - it's this constant sense of forboding that just fills it all. Can't wait for the others.

Abnett is best author. I saw today what I thought was a new series about Macharius written by William King? Anyone know if it's any good? Not as good as Abnett. He sent me a Christmas card once because of Twitter. Still got that bad boy.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

I have the Mordheim game on Early Access and it's pretty good too!

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Kharn: Eater of Worlds

Just finished reading "Ghosts and Bad Shadows" from the Sabbat Crusade book. Without offering any spoilers, all I can say is "You're an rear end in a top hat, Dan Abnett" due to the implications of that story.

Any story introduced with "I'm so sorry" is just prime Abnett. I still love the bastard though. Best writer.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

That being said, Abnett does state in the forward: "No matter what you think in the end of this story, you're wrong." So there's that. But he also states that the ramifications of this story are going to be big. Like real big.

Along with the aforementioned "I'm so sorry", plus a "I'm so sorry, Gol"

Going to be heartbreaking.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

He needs to stop doing all these other series and just get on with more Gaunt.

When is the Warmaster due?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

I tweeted Dan's wife (who runs his Twitter) account the other day, and got a resounding "can't comment" on the delay from her.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a shame we won't see much out of Abnett anymore.

What's happened?

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

That's Blenner if it's anyone.

Doesn't fit Blenner's podgy description. Though the pallidness does.

Also Blenner hasn't used a bolt pistol in the past, instead using an autopistol. I think.

It's Gaunt, totally.

I cannot wait.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Kolea is clearly absolutely hosed in the next book.

It appears to me that a demon is coming for him and his family, as the healing done on him "opened him up" to the warp. I didn't make the Necron connection, to tell the truth, but that does make a lot of sense.

His daughter (Yoncy, of "are they a boy or a girl/nicely handled cover-up of that mistake, Dan) is now drawing creepy pictures, as well as being oddly ageless - showing as immature and below her years but clearly pretty intelligent. Could be a good arc.

Abnett has even written in the pre-face to the story which reveals this particular bit that terrible things are going to happen to Kolea, and he even apologises to him ("I'm so, so sorry Gol" if I remember correctly), so the poor guy is screwed.

There's also a 30 page short story out on the Black Library. £2.50 seems steep but I had to have it. Story below for anyone that wants to save the money.

It follows Mkoll being hunted around the ship as they're in transit, training exercise.
The hunter is the White Scar from the Salvation's Reach mission, and Mkoll outwits him and has him dead to rights.
The White Scar then reveals that he outsmarted Mkoll, as the other two Marines roll in.
Mkoll THEN reveals that no, he is the master, and that the floor underneath them is packed with explosives. "I'm expendable", he says - one guardsmen would be a great swap for three enemies.
The Space Marines are then frustrated when he reveals they're not explosives and something harmless instead.
It was an odd one but a nice easing back in before the inevitable horror show that Warmaster is going to be.

I must say I am the biggest Gaunt's Ghosts fan on the planet (and even have a Christmas card from Dan Abnett he sent to me a few years back!) and I can't wait for The Warmaster. Might even buy the big fancy stupid-money set. I'd like to go on Mastermind and have the Ghosts books be my subject.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I own one of those 500 :shepspends:

:smugbert:

Me too and it's superb.

Really want to get the presumably stupidly expensive set for the Warmaster they're releasing in the next day or two.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Warmaster box thing bought!

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

holy hell Warmaster was one hell of a ride

The ten year time shift is just superb and I know he'll get stick for it, but there's not a lot that makes me stop and audibly say "what the gently caress?".

First Executor Lord Gaunt. loving hell. The boy done good.

Also there's no way Mkoll goes out like that. He's fine. He must be. Poor old Ezra though. I do like how quickly and suddenly it happened - a big contrast to the slightly more drawn out Caffran death, for example.

I also LOVE the whole Kolea's son/daughter thing that may have been a mistake by Abnett originally but which is now a clearly defined and massively important plot point. Amazing.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Holy hell that snuck up on me. Delightful.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

boredsatellite posted:

Please tell me that there an ebook version

Yes, out now on the Books app on my iPhone, so probably elsewhere.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

gently caress DAN ABNETT HE IS A MONSTER

This is the most uncomfortably nervous I've ever been reading a book and it gets worse the more you get into it. Dreading the end.

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 19, 2019

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Yes - no-one needs this book spoiled for them. Sorry if what I've posted appears spoilery but to be frank you could probably say "Abnett, you sod" after every one of the last five books.

I have just finished it and I am emotional, to tell the truth. It's a fantastic book. It pulls no punches but I feel extremely satisfied with the ending and I don't feel it suffers from "rushed ending"-itis that a lot of people say his writing tends to.

Never been exhausted by a book before but when you've read every GG book since the year 2000 then I think it's justified.

What a ride.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

bloom posted:

I can't believe Abnett would kill off a few of the ghosts!

Bit more seriously, is Anarch the finale to the current arc or whatever they call them?

Yeah it's the finale.

There is definitely scope for further books though.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

The Sabbat War anthology is outstanding. Easily the best anthology of the three (??) so far.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

Well, off the top of my head:

Rawne
Milo
Mkoll
Domor
Varl
Bonin
Beltayn
Larkin
Obel (I think he was still alive in Anarch?)
Caober
Lesp

So ten or eleven.

Brostin is still alive at least! The short story This is What Victory Feels Like (Forever the Same) in Sabbat War is excellent.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Feels like that describes her stuff in a nutshell, Honorbound had a very similar feeling to, and her short story in Sabbat War was also kinda the same.

Finished that anthology yesterday, my biggest surprise was Abnett using the word "tits" in a sentence.
Admittedly it was for Zhukova talking about how others viewed her and her accomplishments, but the usage surprised me since I'm used to the books being kinda clean and straight laced in a way.

Officer tits: let's be precise here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

EDIT. Decided to take it down for the sake of other people in the thread. If anyone wants to ask a question then PM me.

This is a shame. I thought your recap was excellent. Thanks for doing it and having it up as long as it was.