Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ravenkult posted:

What's the most cyberpunk obsolete tech you got?

Yamaha midi guitar and converter. Apparently it was quite expensive back in the day and had better tracking than systems designed for regular guitars. However this was accomplished by having every string be the same,a plain G, the worst string in a guitar. Felt horrible to play, picked up a lot of junk data that had to be cleaned up afterwards, huge rack unit for the conversion, massive propertiary cable etc etc. Flipped it for a small profit pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Just a tip that shooting something with a vhs camera does not look anything like old movies played from a vhs.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Way back in the day i used to run a xerox docutech.

I've always had a boner for mechanical systems that move paper. Newspaper printers give me a chub too.

I had to use a couple of Docucolors at my old job. Goddam were they some pieces of poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

If the Amiga is just used to sequence and trigger poo poo and not actually produce the sounds, it might as well be any other system beefier than a Commodore 64. (I mean maybe you could do it on a stock 64 but it probably wouldn't be fun.)

C64 is used in chiptunes a lot, it has an analog synth chip. Atari ST's were/are popular midi sequencers. Amiga could be used as a sampler aswel as a sequencer.

W424 has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Oct 8, 2015

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Intoluene posted:

I didn't know a piece of technology could make me this hard. I have no idea what that does and I love it.

It's a machine designed to convert money into retarded bleeps and bloobs.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

well why not posted:

I really love looking up old versions of software I see all the time. Check out Ableton :

How about some vintage Cubase, I managed to get a short midi loop going on a emulator once out of boredom.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Fuzz1111 posted:

One thing I miss about my old Nokia is that even if the phone was flat the alarm would work (no vibrate but it'd still work weeks after powering itself down).

Big contrast to my android phone randomly deciding to drain itself full to empty overnight and giving me an unexpected sleep-in.

I had a Nokia that played the alarm randomly a couple of times after I dumped it in the closet when I got a new phone. Like weeks/months after being turned off, maybe it was getting lonely.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

nocal posted:

Meanwhile, here comes a phone call ON YOUR PHONE from someone important...and the loving thing just freezes entirely.

I had cheap Sony Ericson briefly that after being on for a while just wouldn't receive calls, no notification, nothing. I got an email to the tune of "dude are you dead?" after being unreachable for a week or so.
Another great feature was (it being a clam phone) that the upper cover was smaller than the base, making it hard to open with one hand and easy to drop /send flying trying to open it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

Someone needs to check out Endtroducing...

I’d quess he was doing a bit more than slapping together poo poo that’s allready synced and tuned.
I don’t know why but those kind of programs/games still make me mad as hell.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I still use firewire on my audio interface, had it for 10+ years and the pci adapter card has been in 3 different pc’s. Probably wont upgrade until it finally dies lol.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Throw your old synths away and build yourself a Space Bass like Constance Demby (:rip:). Earth-shaking otherworldly sounds in the comfort of your living room...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ire8pSPvX1o

This loving rules, was fully expecting something like ”this is my original Buchla system and here’s some of the dumbest poo poo ever recorded, enjoy” bleep bloop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Rexxed posted:

I haven't stopped using winamp for 20+ years, I don't see why I'd stop now.

I haven't used winamp in 20 years because foobar exists.