Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, let's try this again:

Here's the thing. Most of the current owners are going to get relegated, and that's a bummer. For that reason, if at least five owners decide they want to work together to build a new expansion team, I'll let it happen.

But wait, there's more! These owners will retain an ownership interest in the new team even if their current team survives into next season!

Why do I do this? Because as entertaining as it has been to watch you guys try to destroy each other, I'm pretty sure watching you work together would be even funnier. So, let's make this happen.

Would be willing to give Co-Ownership a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

My proposal:

1934 White Sox
1943 Cubs
1946 Senators
1950 White Sox
1951 Browns
1966 Senators
1983 Twins
1986 Braves
1991 Astros
1999 Tigers

C Craig Biggio ('91 HOU)
C Sherm Lollar ('51 SLB)
1B Phil Calvaretta ('43 CHC)
1B Kent Hrbek ('83 MIN)
1B Jeff Bagwell ('91 HOU)
2B Nellie Fox ('50 CHW)
2B Eddie Stanky ('43 CHC)
SS Luke Appling ('34 CHW)
3B Stan Hack ('43 CHC)
3B Ken Caminiti ('91 HOU)
OF Al Simmons ('34 CHW)
OF Frank Howard ('66 WSH)
RF Bill Nicholson ('43 CHC)
CF Dale Murphy ('86 ATL)
OF Kenny Lofton ('91 HOU)
LF Luis Gonzalez ('91 HOU)
SP Ted Lyons ('34 CHW)
SP Claude Passeau ('43 CHC)
SP Dutch Leonard ('46 WSH)
SP Early Wynn ('46 WSH)
SP Billy Pierce ('50 CHW)
SP Frank Viola ('83 MIN)
RP Satchel Paige ('51 SLB)
RP Ron Davis ('83 MIN)
RP Gene Garber ('86 ATL)
RP Paul Assenmacher ('86 ATL)
RP Curt Schilling ('91 HOU)
RP TODD JONES ('99 DET)

Get into the IRC if it's possible. Most owners are there currently and we can talk about it.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Viscount Slim posted:

Hey-ho, it's back to the well we go!

1971 Giants (4)
1979 Cardinals (2)
1986 Braves (1)
and from last try...
1934 White Sox (1)
1943 Cubs (1)
1991 Astros (1)

C 79 Ted Simmons
C 71 Dick Dietz
UT 91 Craig Biggio
(They can hit)
1B 71 Willie McCovey
1B 79 Keith Hernandez
1B 91 Jeff Bagwell
UT 43 Phil Cavaretta
(A Hall guy, a great defender, and a lottery ticket - and Cavvy, who's a solid pinch hitter or bench player)
2B 43 Eddie Stankey
(great patience)
SS 34 Luke Appling
(Hall of Fame shortstop)
3B 43 Stan Hack
(Solid)
LF 34 Al Simmons
(another Hall player - about to decline but still 133 career OPS+)
CF 71 Willie Mays
CF 86 Dale Murphy
(Willie is 40 but still Willie Mays - Murphy can handle it if Willie breaks down - power and Gold Gloves)
RF 43 Bill Nicholson
RF 71 Bobby Bonds
(probably a platoon - not stellar, but very capable)
4OF 79 Gary Hendrick
IF 79 Ken Oberkfell

AAA 91 Kenny Lofton (prospect)

Just missed:
COF 86 Ken Griffey Sr (is 36)
4OF 43 Andy Pafko (is a rookie)
IF 86 Ken Oberkfell (one copy of a utility infielder you hope doesn't have to start ever is enough)

SP 71 Juan Marichal
SP 71 Gaylord Perry
SP 34 Ted Lyons
(three Hall of Famers mid-career)
SP 86 Doyle Alexander
SP 43 Claude Passeau
(All-Stars with a pulse)

Bullpen:
71 Steve Hamilton
86 Bruce Sutter
86 Gene Garber
86 Paul Assenmacher
86 Duane Ward
43 Lon Warneke

AAA 43 Paul Derringer (spare starter)
AAA 91 Curt Schilling (prospect)

This is, in fact, 28 in the majors, plus three in the minors and the "just missed" guys, but I figure you other gentlemen can help!

We could use a better backup plan at SS/3B (Biggio is the backup plan at 2B), but we have some good trade chips. Thoughts?

I'd approve it for now, given that we need to close the deal, as otherwise we'll run out of feeders.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
4/6 owners have approved of Viscounts latest draft (Viscount, Koop, CVE, kw0134). As such the St. Paul Bearers are on their way to bring terror and wrestling puns to the league, hopefully without being buried in cement at the end of the season.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Approving the St. Paul Bearers - Mathematicians trade.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

kw0134 posted:

St Paul Bearers
Would like to rectify the issue at 2B by moving Biggio there if I can find the rest of my co-owners to sign off. :ohdear:

Approved. I was going to do that but I thought some of the owners with an actual clue had a reason as to why they didn't field him.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Viscount Slim posted:

It doesn't have to be anything so firm, though I rolled my eyes at appreciate your attempt to inveigle more power for yourself.

Let's vote on this:

Each of the owners of the St. Paul Bearers shall have the ability to change roles and positions within reason*, with a vote of ownership being necessary only if an objection is raised by another owner.

Transactions with other franchises shall still require a full vote.

*(reason defined in this case as playing a player at a position he is competent at - no first basemen at second, for instance)

Approved.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Smasher League Injury Report

Cologne Emperors
Al Simmons (LF) (Tripped on 99 Luftballoons) - 35 days

Really? Again? Can't I just stay injury free for a while.. drat it all. Just give me a season at full power for once to see if I can make the playoffs :argh:

Slot in Steve Kemp for him. I'm in my chamber making backroom deals to stop this from going south fast...

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

ForeverBWFC posted:

As I seem to be one of two owners who've made a post about the Bearers since the league kicked off, I take half the credit and propose we change nothing!

Approved

I'll glady become the press guy for the Beares given that I'm not helping elsewhere.

On the other side of things...

Another injury? Dammit it all. Also from mrnoun preview listing Reese as my Shortstop and Collins without the Alomar platoon aren't the changes in effect e.g. Ramirez back as a starter from his injury (unless he's worse than Reese) and the platoon of Collins/Alomar at 2B?

Slot in Anibal Sanchez for Calero.

Also I hearby challenge for '02 Chad Bradford offering Calero and my 2nd round pick.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

mrnoun posted:

Your last roster post was on July 2nd, so I had to piece together what your lineup might possibly look like based on the last update of last season. It involved a significant amount of guesswork and about 20-25 minutes of digging through the old thread to figure out where the hell you got that Eric Davis from and what year he was.

Don't take anything I do for the thread seriously, I'm just some schmoe trying to contribute. I am 100% unofficial and I don't have access to Smasher's roster files or anything.

Current response to my preview: 25% thanks, 75% complaints. This is why Smasher hates you all!

Don't worry. I fully approve of your doings and am quite glad about them. Just not the kind to throw thanks and stuff around to be honest. take my silence as a pat on the head.

Davis comes from a challenge I think, one that was kinda forced on me due to an injury/Ty Cobb breaking down at the ripe age of 40.

Edit: How do I get worse with each passing day :smith: I'll probably head right for an early draft pick only to suddenly be on the rise again 3 weeks before the draft so that it will be nothing but a burden. Go figure...

CVE fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 26, 2012

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

CVE

Calero isn't worth a 1st-round pick. I need more collateral from you.

Would adding Pinto and Sanches suffice?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Congrats Smasher on passing the bar.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Not to rush any of you, but time does keep marching on...

Smasher League Week 6 Injury Report

Cologne Emperors
Martin Dihigo (SP) (Fractured Skull) - 63 days
Matt Mantei (RP) (Broken Hand from punching some sort of skull-shaped object) - 21 days

Should the Super-League persist I will call my new team the Glass Men or something akin to that. The Cultist already have a huge league so the playoff were already hard to reach even without my whole team imploding on me.

Roster changes

THE Thornton Lee as 2nd starter, Rube Walberg as 5th starter and Chad Bradford as Middle Relief.

Bloody Hell...

CVE fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 4, 2012

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Put Simmons back into Left field for Kemp.

And can the rest of the team please refrain from breaking their own bones. We may have health care but that wasn't an offer to abuse it...

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Viscount Slim posted:

gently caress me rigid. OK, Bearers Owners! I propose we accept both the Comanchero and Phoenix offers, because we really need loving pitching, if Sarsaparilla throws in Todd Worrell for a bullpen patch.

In absence of competence on my part I approve of this trade.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
So a quick question. Who is looking forward to drafting Center Fielders? Because I have the feeling that I won't get top pick there and end up with another injury prone guy who will obviously break down when I need it the least. This would leave me the option of trading my first round pick for a better Center Fielder and a ton of research to find out that I'm not getting duped.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Round #1: CF
Round #2: BPA

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Do I have anyone that can play DH? Because that would give me the option of putting old man Cobb back into CF for at least a few weeks until the Super draft.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Let's have Bradford step up as a closer for Gagne and let's swap Anibal Sanchez in for Calero at Short Relief since his numbers are horrendous.

Also whoever is in charge of the All-Star Team, you better have THE Thornton Lee pitch for you.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Viscount Slim posted:

We certainly do need to replace Presidente, and Schilling, too. Happily, we have these new picks. Wait, we ended up with Bob Welch? Oh, gently caress me.

Anyway, I think it should be Tom Seaver at fourth starter, Bob Welch at fifth. Al Simmons back in left, McCovey at first.

Approved.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Put Fred Lynn in for Davis pronto. He already did enough harm.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Juggernauts

As has come to my attention you are trying to gather all the Foxxes. I would offer you my copy of Jimmie Foxx, which while young (coming from the 1927 Athletics) has been rock solid for me.

In return I would ask for Kirby Puckett, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Carl Yastrzemski and Brandon Webb. This may seem like a lot, but you aren't using most of these guys at the moment and Yastrzemski is surplus once you have Foxx.

CVE fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 20, 2012

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Unfortunately for the Smasher League THE Thornton Lee couldn't pitch every game to guarentee a succesful series (granted it was more him sucking less than the opposition).

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

factorialite posted:

what was cve's proposal? must have missed it.

I'll quote it for you. Must have been lost between all the EC lineups.

quote:

Juggernauts

As has come to my attention you are trying to gather all the Foxxes. I would offer you my copy of Jimmie Foxx, which while young (coming from the 1927 Athletics) has been rock solid for me.

In return I would ask for Kirby Puckett, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, Carl Yastrzemski and Brandon Webb. This may seem like a lot, but you aren't using most of these guys at the moment and Yastrzemski is surplus once you have Foxx.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Bearers

We are spiraling right down to disaster given our current course. I propose we put Schilling back in for Welch given that Schilling at least got us some wins as opposed to Welch who has lost every single game so far.

In Addition we may have to let Simmons and Hack rest as they will break down otherwise and make a miserable situation worse. However we do not have a good replacement therefore I would ask one of the more proficient owners to choose players that can at least for a week play those positions.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

oldskool posted:

Oh, pish-posh. We'll have to settle this the old-fashioned way.
Over the next two weeks the Oranges & Bearers play each other 6 times.
Oranges win 4+, we get your Welch.
Bearers win 4+, you get our Welch.
3-3 tie, both Welches fired into the sun.

We are currently not in the shape to deal with things that way. Maybe if we get a Rocky montage coupled with Smasher raising the rating of every single player of ours by 5 points, would make us consider :cheeky:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

kw0134 posted:

Then the Bearers will also get a vote to play Bonds in RF and Cavaretta in LF for a full week.

Approved

Smasher Dynamo posted:

And the Bearers' owners finally pay attention to their team...to debate the alignment of corner outfielders. Of course.

We live to defy your expectations. Just not in a good way it seems.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Dihigo starts as the 3rd pitcher again. Halladay move up to the second starting pitcher position and THE Thornton Lee pitches fourth. Josh Johnson rests in the minors for now.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
And put Johnson back in for Lee.Collins hast to grit his teeth and play 2B alone till Alomar returns.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Let's rest Dave Winfield for a bit and start Reggie Jackson for him.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Let's rest Ramirez for a week and start Pee Wee Reese.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Yeah, let's put Winfield back in. How the Hell did Jackson do such a horrible job anyhow... he is a Hall of Famer for Christs sake. drat stacked league.

If Ramirez isn't tired any more put him back in as well.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Emperors

Now that Alomar is back, reinstate the Platoon with him and Collins. As for Cobb.. well I have some problems if he breaks down even if he only has to play DH. do I have anyone else that is/was known for being a good hitter and that isn't occupied elsewhere?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Given that most of the division races are less than ideally competitive this year, I'm thinking of reforming the playoff system for next year. But, before I do that, I wanted to hear from you guys, since it's your teams that are going to be affected.

So, thoughts?

Depends on how oyu want to modify things. I mean I don't think I will make it through 4 rounds of the gauntlet with a good deal of luck so it would affect me only in the season after the next one, if the league is still around. it might just be bad luck this season but punishing people for having build a great team is probably not the way to go.

Then again from a more or less neutral situation I'm open to suggestions.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Emperors

Let's put Reggie Jackson as the DH and have Alomar play 2B full time. Don't want to die from inhaling Collins and Cobbs last remains.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

ForeverBWFC posted:

Executive Decision time!
Today is my birthday, which means in the next couple of hours or so I will probably get quite tipsy and/or merry (two of the lesser known dwarfs). With that in mind, assume all bids I make tonight are a mistake, and don't confirm them 'till tomorrow please, thanks Smasher!

Happy Birthday. And don't worry you couldn't screw up the Bearers more even if you had full executive rights.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Looking at Jacksons and Alomar's average just disgusts me... oh well time for the ship to enter the Gauntlet rapids once more. Seeing as we've been through it twice already and the ship having significant flaws I think I'm in for a ride.

Once the Gauntlet starts let Collins and Cobb start full time at their respective position again. I'll be in my cabin in order to set my exit strategy in motion should things go wrong.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Emperors

In addition to Collins and Cobb playing full time for the gauntlet, let's also change to a 4-man rotation and put in THE Thornton Lee for Johnson as the 4th Starter.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
It's finally time. Get your act together and make me proud team. Please don't gently caress things up again and stay healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Pick ZWEI!

Cleveland Emperors
Florida Oranges
Lombard St. Gumshoes
Ted Sox
[/quote]

And so the Emperors got absorbed by the Unicorns. At least the name carries on.

I'll be back in the next Expansion cup hopefully with a more successful team and a gimmick that helps you write interesting stuff.