Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, Lord I love those widened steelies.

Hey, didn't someone say they liked Panteras? Spotted this nice one at a local car show last year.

Oh, what's that back here?

Yep, twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Happened to have a few more Jungle Pam pics to add to the previous guy's:

and my personal favorite (because I like boobs):

Ah, the '70s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Those.......loving.....rear........wheels

Godda-

Fucki-

No, just.....gently caress it I'm going to bed.

No poo poo, right? I mean it's not like you can't get American Racing Torq-thrust wheels in the larger sizes... Too much effort, I suppose.

Content:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Old school collapsible spare.

Had one of those in my old '79 Chevy Monza. Came with a little canister of CO2 or nitrogen to air it up. Actually used it once. The tough part is getting it back to it's collapsed state, and refilling the inflating canister... I imagine that's part of why they went away. Even though it was full size when inflated, it was still speed-limited (due to the soft sidewalls, I'd guess.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SiB posted:

The 2010 Mercedes SLK55 AMG that's in my shop disagrees with you. I used its collapsible spare today on it.

I stand corrected. Didn't know anyone still used them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bang Me Please posted:

the windshield is actually the back glass from a station wagon, but I can't remember which one.

The truck is a '60s Dodge A100 pickup.
The front windshield and most of the roof is a '60 Ford wagon rear window/hatch.
The rear of the roof and rear window is from a '60 Ford sedan.

This guy is building a replica:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=30254

I really dig the cut-down Olds Toronado steering wheel.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just in case it's not clear from the picture, he's not even in a parking spot. He parks in the area where the little ramp is for rolling things onto the sidewalk. I'm kind of impressed how far someone will go just to get the point across that they're an rear end in a top hat.

What you need to do is slip one of the notices from http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/ under his wiper next time you see him, well, parked like an rear end in a top hat. Links to PDFs to print out are on the "Give A Notice" page.
I always carry a few in my car - it helps vent the rage non-destructively.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

It went on his criminal record iirc as an assault, since the retard who couldn't park "felt threatened" by his note about their subpar parking job. I'll have to ask for details next time I run into him.

I really hate the world sometimes. Leaving a note is assault? Somebody has way too safe and easy a life (not that I live in daily fear for my life like many parts of the world do, but I think I recognize he difference between a note and assault.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nm posted:

That isn't assault.

It has to be an act that would probably result in a battery, do that act willfully, a reasonable person (not the individual in question) would, based on facts know to the defendant, would think a battery would likely occur, and the defendant has the present ability to commit a battery.

Either you're being misinformed by your friend (convicted of something else, other facts, etc) or he didn't have a lawyer.

Now that makes more sense.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Maybe earlier than that, definitely 2 door, softer around the edges not so angular. Im still searching google for something closer.

Edit: located. Early 70s 128 coupe as seen here. Not on my laptop or Id copy it to imgur.

http://www.motorbase.com/pictures/contributions/990913/std_1970_fiat_128_group.jpg

I had a '78 Fiat 128 four-door as my first car way back in 1986. Slow as poo poo with the 1300, but it was built like a tank, a fact proven when my buddy managed to roll the silly thing over, and the only window that broke was the windshield. I kind of miss the little bugger. Of all the cars I've owned, it had the straightest body...
http://wright-here.net/cars/78_fiat.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I also like how Dodge put the turbocharged TSi up against the presumably NA RX-7 and 300Z, since I don't see "Turbo II" or "ZX Turbo" in there anywhere. Also, the loving performance numbers don't even agree between the two ads, but that could be different years, I suppose.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I love talking about/looking at pictures of ones I'll never have while on the internet.

Err, we're still talking about pairs of designer jorts, right?

That one works whatever way - cars, girls, or jorts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I need to know more about this car. Google Images reverse search shows me no love.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You almost wouldn't have to edit a Talbot Lago to fit in there.

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot-Lago
OK, just the front. I seemed to remember that both ends were skirted, but apparently I remembered wrong.

Nash Statesman or Rambler: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Nash_Stateman_2-Door_Sedan_1951.jpg
Or Nash Metropolitan: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Series_III_Hardtop.jpg
Would fit right in with minimal editing.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 25, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sadnessboner posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the Figoni et Falaschi bodied Delahayes?

Quite possibly. those are gorgeous cars, as-is, photoshop not required.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

blk posted:

Not sure if awful or awesome; leaning towards awesome.

"This means something. This is important."

Oh, God. Not only is that thing in Texas, it's from my home town.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's a different type of metro with a cage

I want one.
Lemons racer?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Speaking of Hennessy and SRT8 Jeeps: A 1230hp Grand Cherokee that wasn't built by him.

http://www.fearless904.com/brick/

Holy crap!
I am insanely conflicted by GC SRT-8s. It's a Jeep, so it should go off-road - but the SRT-8s are So. Freaking. Awesome.

I didn't even notice the open exhaust through the hood until Das mentioned it. Wow.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You're making the same mistake a poster in the thread made. The car is set up as a show car and cruiser, not a speed demon. It just needs to be more reliable than the original Rolls running gear, and handle highway speeds with aero of a brick.
He's not going to be doing track days or lurid power slides, however much fun that might be.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is that some sort of weird '70 Chevelle/El Camino with rectangular headlights? :psyduck:

That's what it looks like to me.
Definitely not a Cutlass.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

They didn't have rectangular headlights, just the housings and the lights were round. I GIS'ed like a madman and the only thing with similar headlight/housing I found was a 77 Cutlass, which then led me to believe that the car in question was an earlier Cutlass.

With those headlights it's definitely not a 70 Chevelle, either!

I think it is, or an El Camino, anyway, The bumper, grille, and hood edge profile all match. I'd say someone's "custom" fitted square headlights (sadly.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

If I ever have kids (unlikely) they drat well better be this awesome.

I must get my daughter a Power Wheels ride-on right now.

poo poo - picture!
Spotted this at a swap meet last weekend:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 30, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

also spotted this at the same swap meet:

It's a '67 Chevy C-60 medium duty truck with an 11-foot bed. Like one of those big International pickuos, only lots older. 427 5-speed, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Vigo327 posted:

Did you take that picture? I know exactly where that dealership is in my city.

Low production/custom coachwork might be a stretch for this one, but hey. I have to post a pic.

In this vein:

That's a late '60s, early '70s Olds Toronado with a trailer grafted on. At least with a 425 or 455, it'll actually haul whatever you want. There's also an actual frame to graft the trailer to.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sinistarded posted:

That's awesome and I think I've found a new way to familiarize myself with how engines actually work.

I'm going to head to my local hobby shop and try to find one of those, or equivalent, as I don't think I can wait on shipping.

They're a little pricey now:
http://www.amazon.com/Minicraft-Models-Visible-Rotary-Engine/dp/B0006O90U6
http://www.amazon.com/Minicraft-Models-Visible-Rotary-Engine/dp/B0006O90U6

I don't think I paid over $30 for mine, but that WAS almost 15(!) years ago.
Pretty neat, though. There's a motor and betteries in the transmission, activated by the shifter. The rotors turn, the spark plugs spark, and the fan belt runs the cooling fan/water pump and alternator. It's also an early twin-dizzy Wankel.
The two halves bolt together, but the oil pan is glued. I decided to use #1 hex-head bolts to attach the pan so I can take it back apart if anything ever jams or breaks.

That same kit was put out by Entex and Minicraft. The one in your picture is Entex.
Get this one on eBay. It appears to be new old stock, still in shrinkwrap, currently at $19.99 with no bids ($8.50 SH):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENTEX-1-5-S...=item48550bd67c

I also have a Ford 2.3L turbo visible engine I never finished. Somehow I got the timing belt pulley askew and the timing belt keeps slipping off.

Like this one:

(biggest pic I could find of this version)

Carbureted!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

So, as it happens, the Hot Rod Power Tour started pretty much in my backyard (about 15 miles away), so I went an checked out the kickoff on Saturday. My camera battery died almost immediately, so most of the shots are from my iPhone. My apologies if this offends or disturbs you.

Some highlights:

It was hydraulically driven, too.

This:

contained this:

I can't decide if this is awesome or awful:

It's certainly the best of the retro body kits, but that's not saying much.

'51 Ford. Bomber-style. Gatlin-gun parking lights. Also, since it was a Kicker display, the sound system kicked (no pun intended) much rear end.

An actual Holden HSV 727 (I remind you this is in North Texas).

With a few modifications under the hood.

It sounded every bit as brutal as it looks.

Unf.

Ever seen a Kaiser Darrin before?:

Look closely at the doors.

clean Maverick

Old-school Hemi-powered '57 Olds:

I'd prefer Olds power, but at least it's not an SBC.

Chevy had an SS there (and a diesel Cruze, but I didn't take pictures of that):

Not bad.

The LSA-powered '70 Chevelle was cooler, though.

LSA-powered '56 with patina:

My stupid finger got in the way, but I had to include this one. This is a '64 GTO - on the outside. All the sheet metal has been slipped on to the unibody of an '06 GTO, with minimal changes to the actual running and operating gear. Very nicely done. Talked to the owner for a while about it. I was thinking it was another LSx-swapped A-body until I noticed the strut bar, and thus, the strut towers, which the A-body does not have.

Interior was a combination of '06 GTO, and custom, particularly around the convertible top. The rear seats had to be modified to fit.

LHD Holden ute, with Florida plates. Anyone want to bet it's registered as a GTO?

Something for the BMW guys:

Oops, maybe not:

What's going on under the hood of this Chevelle?

Ah-ha!

6.6L Duramax diesel.

Patina, and holes in the hood:

(apologies for the fuzziness. The phone wasn't coping well with the bright light, clouds, and a little rain.)

Cummins 4BT-powered rod

Pontiac Can-Am:

Crewcab V-dub pickup:

I know you guys will like this. Genuine rally-prepped Trabant:

Their support vehicle was a '73-4 Buick full size wagon.
https://www.unsaferacing.com for the story of how he got the thing here from the Ukraine.

Not only is this a fully restored Morris Minor, it's got Tweels on it.

and a Toyota 4AGE

They are doing testing of prototype Tweels. I got to talk to the inventor of the things. They also had a CRZ equipped with Tweels, a trailer, and an ATV on the trailer with them as well.

There are more pics here: http://wright-here.net/gallery/v/kevin/general_car_stuff/power_tour_2013/

What I find best of all is that most of these cars are DRIVEN. They drove them here to Texas, and they're driving them now to North Carolina. Awesome.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlesM posted:

I'm sure it has to do with the orientation / rotation flag in the EXIF data. I'm not sure how in 2013 programs don't use this correctly yet.

Pics from my iPhone do that for some reason, if I upload them without running them through an image editor first. The ones that are OK either cam from my camera or had to be resized to upload. I'll fix the ones that are still wonky when I get a chance. They all looked fine from my PC, but I see them upside down on the iPad.
Guess I need to mark the iPhone "this side up" for photos...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Q_res posted:

I hate to be that guy, but that's not a Can Am, it's a Grand Am.

This is what a Can Am looks like.

No, you're right. I got excited and thought it was a Can Am without really looking at it closely. We were on the way out when I took that pic, tired and hungry. My only excuse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's where I've seen it before. Thanks!
That engine was frigging huge!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Q_res posted:

It's not a 50s full-size GM of any description. It's entirely the wrong size.

Actually, it does look like a '55 Buick 4-door. The roof, windshield and body lines are correct, but the grille is wrong and the hood has had that ornament added. I'd bet that it needed a new grille, and they used what was available. It probably has a forklift engine, too, given how they have to scrounge for parts.
I feel like I should recognize the grille, but I got nothin'

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

88h88 posted:

And this because wow...

That's... a '95-96 Jeep Cherokee! :stonk:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wallaka posted:

Yes, two cylinders are switched. It doesn't make much of a difference in sound.
1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 vs.
1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. It still has an unbalanced exhaust flow.

I beg to differ. I can definitely tell when it's an LSx vs an old school V8, particularly when said LSx is in an older chassis. Not as much as the difference in sound between a flat-plane and a cross-plane, I'll grant you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Q_res posted:

The best part of this is that, unless he did a conversion, this thing is FWD.

Oh, poo poo, you're right. Totally missed that!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

I love this headlight conversion, the lights are from some 90's GM car, like a Corsica or Oldsmobile, and they're an almost direct fit for the dual square headlights of the 70's and 80's. Lots of the mid 80's Volvo guys are doing this conversion, it makes it look just slightly custom and more modern.

last year or two of the "square" Caprice had those, and the '87 Cutlass. and they're actually *glass*, too. Not usre why none of the other G-bodies seemed to use them.

Fake edit: GIS shows 87-90 Caprice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

I doubt your Lincoln has 21 inch rims as stock either.

Or 13" x 1.25" brake rotors with (IIRC) 6-piston calipers. Things are huge, and the front seat is like a small leather couch. It's like driving your living room.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

General Wiggles posted:

A racing truck blowing smoke rings.

I'm guessing he's getting on and off the throttle through the turn to do that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I remember when that GIF first was posted - the engine is in the process of blowing up, and nobody could figure out how in the world it was blowing smoke rings while doing so. Definitely not intentional.

It did not even trigger that this was on dirt, and therefore had to be smoke from the engine, which is rarely a desirable thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Is this guy driving a classic 911?

Sure looks like it.

e: nice avoidance skills.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

To the average American, hatchbacks have 2 doors and wagons have 4. The same way people think a coupe must have 2 doors and a sedan must have 4.

This is 100% correct. At least, that's what all that meant when I was a kid 20-30 years ago.
Probably why a lot of manufacturers just call them "5-ddors".

e: typos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thought you guys might appreciate this. It's a coworker's Volvo 244. Cleanest 240 I've ever seen. It ALWAYS looks this clean.

Oh, look, there's my beat-up FC sneaking into the picture! (Runs better than it looks, I promise!)

Spotted this on a grocery run. Not something you see in the wild every day:

A coupe, no less!