Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Its predecessor the Bagheera apparently was so poorly rust-protected that not a single example remains in the wild, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The French and their steering wheels are a whole thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like to think a lot of the good shots I've got with the plastic-fantastic nifty fifty are because it's so light I could spin around fast

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I caught up with one of those on the highway a while ago and was all excited until I got close and saw it was an *uuuhggghhh* alpina

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Strong contender for the Raddest Car

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always thought those cars carried more cachet than they really deserved because they were sort of derived from the Elise.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No no, they got this all wrong: free rust!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just visited the https://www.sarasotacarmuseum.org/ because it's in my neighborhood, and I discovered that one of its particularly well-appointed corners is the personal collection of Piero Rivolta, heir of the Iso-Rivolta brand who also lives in the area. There are examples of 6 or 7 cars from the late-60s/early-70s heyday of the company, including this insane and amazing thing

https://www.isorivoltaofficial.com/isorivolta-varedo.html

Absolutely stunning in person. So unbelievably wide and flat. I hate that we'll never see cars like this again, and even modern superexotics look like rear end by comparison

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those

what

Do I have to go back all over again (so soon)? Is there a whole building I missed? I thought it was, like, a weird specialty dealership sort of thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KakerMix posted:

It has (had?) a less-that-prepared bit behind the fancy display place. Looking through my pictures I found these from June 2018:

Sweet, I guess I should go back there and see what it takes for them to let me into the secret room.

I asked the lady whether the museum still has a relationship with the Rivolta family, she said yeah they come in from time to time to look at their cars. I know I sure would

Apparently the guy is mainly into weird ridiculo power boats nowadays, but I have to imagine he's got a vested interest in keeping that museum open/funded since it's his biggest showroom in a way.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 17, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh whoops, quoted the wrong post. Edited

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrYenko posted:

“Intense emotional appeal.”

:pwn:

That same museum has one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_SZ

And I'm sorry but that still looks like the future. AND has what I would call "intense emotional appeal". Even that Ford thing at least is trying, like it looks like it was drawn by some starry eyed kid on the back of a Trapper Keeper.

i just really don't like the current styling trends of the industry. Just put more lines, idk try one here

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Who would have thought the 1 Series M would be the last BMW I considered attractive

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wanna take that video and show it to like, some privateers from the Age of Sail or something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fuckin love the styling on that Caterham. One of the first genuinely attractive and innovative cars I've seen in god I don't know how many years

I've been reduced to lusting over AMG GTs which feels wrong

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh my god, that's why I liked it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah it really was in full swing when not just the exterior but all interior elements in the dash/console/doors were ovals or oblong blobs.

I guess the thinking was it looked "aerodynamic" or "sleek"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's a story I read once and have never been able to find again how there was someone who was a little girl during Oliver Cromwell's life and knew him somehow, and she lived to some absurdly old age, and one of her friends or family also lived super long, and so on and so on until up till some ridiculously recent time there was someone who could say "I knew someone who knew someone who knew someone (...) who knew Oliver Cromwell"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Book loving marked, thank you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s turning the earth’s driveshaft

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’ve always wondered how fan cars deal with not even US roads, but just the race tracks themselves, there’s all sorts of bits of sand and small gravel, rubber chunks and just whatever crud blows onto the track from the surrounding area.

Yeah they’re generally cleaner than public roads but I still think it must be hard on a fan system to essentially vacuum the road as it drives.

As I watched that video I was thinking "is that a fan car? It must be a fan car, it moves like a drat slot racer" and just then a huge cloud of dust and crud blew up behind it as it rolled over one of those dirty patches.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I guess this was inevitable now that as I see 8Cs are going for like $400K.

For a while now it's just been the reality that a halo car isn't something you might buy if you somehow accumulate 2nd-house wealth by your 50s. It's not even "won the lottery" tier anymore. Now it's just "only the 5 richest kings of Europe will own them" territory

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That'll take some hosing off

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don’t hate that simply because it looks like there’s still at least one person in the world who remembers 90s design, even if they don’t know how to execute it tastefully.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

klezmer life yo posted:

I love that!
In my Mk2 Jetta I only ever replaced the light on the speedometer side of the instrument panel and if I crank the potentiometer all the way down I can black out all the heater/ventilation controls too.
On an empty highway with just the headlights + aux driving lights and a completely dark cabin is such a surreal feeling.

No interior has ever been better than my MkIV Jetta. Red control accents, blue speedo numbers, just a comforting and whimsical color scheme, all tastefully laid out in nice rectilinear shapes. Everything since then has been gaudy oblique poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus that's a good looking car

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In a world where every formerly idiosyncratic carmaker is converging on making 9 different sizes of barely differentiated SUVs, I welcome anyone who keeps doing weird poo poo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Speak no I'll of the vehicross. A lovely car before it's time.

Lol I remember when it showed up in one of those Mars movies in that year when they did two of them. It was a car from the not-too-distant future!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CAR WASH DAY
CAR WASH DAY
HEY EVERY BUDDY IT'S CAR WASH DAY

https://i.imgur.com/fPRUBMP.mp4

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taking the thread title as literally as possible I see

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know what kind of world this is where the only car company that seems capable of making interesting and novel car designs in a unique and coherent aesthetic is Hyundai/Kia.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK that's awesome but I have like 100 logistical questions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Die-hard Motor Trend reader since my parents put an issue in my Christmas stocking when I was like 10, until I dropped it when I went to college. Years later I almost re-subbed but for some reason went to Automobile instead and stuck with that till I couldn't stomach receiving anything printed in the mail anymore. I always thought it had a cool irreverent tone that was a nice contrast to (what I vaguely perceived as) MT's self-importance and Jean Jennings was always hilarious fun to read.

All of which is to say it's the 80s issues of MT that I will be digging through to try to relive their fanciful tales of a sharp-edged concept car future yet to come

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heading for Sebring tomorrow for my own endurance race this weekend and I'm not sure if I should watch that first or afterwards :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AirRaid posted:

Walk up to the DMV counter, slap the papers down and say “Good news!”

lol

I was thinking about going to Autozone to pick up some generic parts like vacuum hose or a belt or something, or trying to get insurance, and the guy would be like "make and model?" followed by knitted brows and "sorry the computer is being slow"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gandini challenging Giugiaro to fusilli at dawn over ganking his rear wheel arch

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good call, I mean if I could get the door open to get the snow brush out then I wouldn't need the snow brush

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"car" just means "SUV" now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

slidebite posted:

After training last night and a young woman and I were chatting (young=20ish) and she obliterated a stereotype that I had.

After class, we got onto the topic of cars and she started gushing about how a 300SL is beautiful and her dream car, which surprised me (I was surprised she even knew what it was tbh). I then asked her about her thoughts on the Miura and she proceeded to tell me about how Lamborghini went all downhill after the styling of the countach with the possible exception of the Diablo. And then we started talking about other 60s/70s sports cars in general.

I did not see that coming. Another young lady that was with us was looking at her like the had a 3rd arm growing out of her forehead.

That's a hella good Lamborghini opinion tbh.

Gallardo is an all-timer (if maybe too reserved to be a "real" Lambo) but Huracan is garbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ha, this is the only reason I knew about the Tyrrell P34 at age 10.

Of course I assumed it meant all race cars had 6 wheels.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 22, 2024