Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boomerjinks posted:

Starsky and Hatch

I would rather own that than the F1 car. Seriously.

I'm broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wasabi the J posted:

If you're broken, can I be your enabling shitbag friend who keeps dragging you into your crippling hatch addiction?

There's been a mid-late seventies- built street/strip Gremlin under a car cover in the driveway of a guy down the street from my parents since I was in elementary school. I should go down there and see if it's for sale. loving thing has ladder bars, slicks and skinnies, a bug catcher, the works. It would be amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That particular hood ornament has always made me think of this:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Found three cool rides while filling up.

The fact that what appears to be a completely stock C5 Corvette makes this list breaks my brain.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

Crosspost from the "DD a classic" thread

1963 Super Stock Dodge 330

1964 Ford Thunderbolt

Here's a cool article about A/FX

I figured this would be a better place to discuss the different Factory Experimental classes in the NHRA in the early 60's, and how they created muscle cars for the street and later led to what we know now as the "funny car".

If anyone tries to tell you the GTO was the first muscle car, slap them for being wrong.

Ahem.

*Points at the 1961 Impala SS 409.*

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Q_res posted:

edit: Also, the Mallett LS7-swapped Solstice will always be the modern Cobra of my heart.

I remember when Hot Rod built their LS7 Solstice. There was a few mentions of how it almost seemed like GM engineered the Solstice to fit an LSx...

So now I have another craigslist search...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Macho Grande going around corners on its door handles, towing a trailer, is simply amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rhyno posted:

Yenko...Corvair?

The Stinger. The first car sold with Don Yenko's name on it. The Camaros came later.

:getin:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I need this. I need this now. What is that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This reminds me: I saw an actual AC Ace on the road for the very first time last week. I didn't think if ever see one outside a car show/auction.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That caprice doesn't sound like it's modified, it sounds like they sawz-alled the catalytic converter and muffler. It actually sounds more like the 3.8/4.3L V6 base-level engine, depending on what year it was.

A lumpy-cammed V8 doesn't sound like that... Thing...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That is absolutely loving glorious.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why the hell is that Lotus on Welds and skinnies?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BraveUlysses posted:

Cool car but look at those shoes

The Ferrari in the backround is his wife's. So are the shoes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Doesn't seem like a terribly handicap friendly vehicle.

Have you ever met a GTR owner?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Paging kastein...

I would drive this every loving day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Count Freebasie posted:

Guess I should post a pic of my Dad:

Your dad is/was one of the Wahlay brothers?

More pictures. NOW.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iwentdoodie posted:

Class 1, so unlimited buggies. It has plenty of power, the issue so far is motor controller programming (guy they contracted to is way past his deadline) and funding period. The car runs roughly the same battery pack as a Tesla, which isn't cheap. They have two, and are hoping to get enough money raised to buy two more that way they can be hot swapped during "fuel" stops. The owner/driver has won at Baja before in a Beetle, so at least there is experience behind it.

But it really is a fascinating project, that I'm super happy to have even a small part in.

That's loving awesome. Post more about it if you can. Probably also relevant over in the EV megathread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ThirstyBuck posted:

I saw these lovely ladies as I was helping a friend pick up a motorcycle.

What they were doing in the shithole town of Etna is another question.

Is there a transmission shop in Etna?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Scotch posted:

They should sell Utes in America.

America is more violent than Australia; Australia has Utes, America doesn't. Ergo, having Utes makes a country less violent.

We were so close.

And then, as GM always does, they killed it, right when it was about to get good.

(Or in this case, just before release.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Saw this on my way to work today:

Sorry for the poor photos, he was doing ~45mph in the left lane, and I wasn't going to gently caress traffic up even worse to get pictures.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'll be in my bunk.

:gizz:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DEEERP

missed a page.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Panty Saluter posted:

I know many of you will disagree in which thread this picture belongs, but I say it belongs right here :colbert:

It rather firmly belongs in both. :psyduck:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This thread needs more LSR.

http://youtu.be/Le6aCV_CRvQ

457mph one-way flying-mile, 462mph exit speed. Wheel-driven, 368ci turbocharged small-Chevy.

:black101:

They hurt it, and were unable to make the backup pass required to set an official record, but holy gently caress that thing moves.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cakefool posted:

If your ideal of unhinged lunacy with unlimited funds involves a mere v8 we may have to have a talk.

I don't care how many cylinders it has. Mach .65 with a piston engine car is unhinged.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

These are the very same people who think that the next Corvette will very definitely be mid-engined this time. Totally. Not like the last time when we were wrong, or the time before that, or the time before that one either. This time we've totes got it.

I've had several friends, all car guys, who should know better, say something along the lines of "Ya, the C7 is beautiful, but I can't wait for the mid-engined C8!" It makes me want to punch them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sexual Lorax posted:

For those who haven't seen this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0

The first time I saw it, I was already :aaa: until Christian started talking about the idea of using the pistons to compress air in a tank during braking for later use as either "instant turbo" or the possibility of running as a pure compressed air engine to get some of that braking energy back. Then I was :aaaaa:.

I'd heard about a system like this nearly ten years ago, and I was fully expecting the segment to end with them standing next to the bench prototype... And then he says they retrofitted a Saab four cylinder, and have driven the loving thing 35,000 miles without a failure. My brain loving exploded.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A3th3r posted:

e: ^^^^^ Airplane engines blow my mind, man.. They just seem sketchy from a car driver's perspective.

Keep in mind that the rotary radials they're talking about are contemporary (1914-1918) with automobile engines equipped with manual-crank starters, manual choke, manual mixture, manual spark advance, exposed rocker arms, total loss oiling, etc, etc.

Hell, oil filters were an option on most products from the big three into the middle of the 1950s.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There is one posted semi-locally that has a blown out hydraulic suspension system and doesn't run and I want it so loving bad.

Repairing a French hydraulic suspension system sounds like the burden of Sisyphus.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pretty sure that's a VW-based kit car.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Midniter posted:

Interesting, what VW would it be based on?

Still looks pretty cool IMO.

A real one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryhampster posted:

Chariot Races..NSW 1936

Why the actual gently caress isn't this an Olympic sport?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wasabi the J posted:

In the interest of keeping the forum internationally friendly, can we use passing lane or exit lane for clarity?

Nope. You should all learn to drive like us. :colbert:

How bad is it going from a RHD manual transmission to LHD, or vise-versa? I've only ever driven LHD, and the thought of first being out and up makes my brain hurt.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Farmland Park posted:

Cars next to RR Phantoms will never not be funny to me

Courtesy of my friend at https://www.supercarfrance.com

Manages to make the Lambo look plain. :downs:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Timmy Cruise posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of that.

Am i wrong or are those 80 celica supra wheels??

I would too. And ya, that's the first thing I thought of, too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a DeTomaso Pantera, the same car that killed Tim Horton and is therefore immortalized in the Alberta AI thread title.

Well, that makes more sense now. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:worship:

That is loving awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eyebeem posted:

Right, because the SBC powered performance cars are all fuel hogs.

S4 w/ DOHC V8 : 13MPG City, 20MPG Hwy
C6 Zo6 w/ LS7 : 16MPG Cuty, 25MPG Hwy

To be fair, you should probably compare the Z06 to the R8, which is 11/20 with the (430hp) V8, or 12/19 for the (525hp) V10, or 13/22 for the V10 with SMG.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

Offys loving own, but Novis are cooler

I loving love the draw-through pressure carb. :black101: