Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
If you're going to post that awesome picture, at least use the giant desktop-size one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Boomerjinks posted:

My larger pictures all have the "L" before .jpg in the imgur url, so check because a few of those are loving MONSTROUS.

Ah, I see the confusion, none of your images have links to the full-sized.

If you paste an imgur image URL straight-up, the forum code just throws [IMG] tags around it. If you then edit in the 'l' it will just show the thumbnail with no link back. To get the full size linked from the 'l' thumb, you need to paste the URL in with the 'l' already in it.

So if I paste in
code:
http://i.imgur.com/vfxLv.jpg
it spits out
code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vfxLv.jpg[/img]
and if you edit the 'l' in you just get an image of the large thumb.

But if you paste in
code:
http://i.imgur.com/vfxLvl.jpg
it spits out
code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/vfxLv.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/vfxLvl.jpg[/img][/url]
and you're golden.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Twin Turbo R8 claiming 1100 HP

That looks cool as poo poo. Air to water intercoolers and ceramic coated everything? Goddamn.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

DJ Commie posted:

Coating the compressor outlet pipes was a dumb loving idea, you can get rid of a huge amount of heat before the intercooler with a nice bare aluminum tube.That setup looks nice, but its just making the charge cooling work harder. That and water to air cooling is so efficient and very heavy, why have 2 coolers?

Could the outlet pipe thing be because the intakes are also right the gently caress there? Getting rid of the heat before the intercooler makes sense, but maybe not if it's just going to heat the air going in anyway.

As for the two water to air cores, it seems they share a circulation system? Possibly easier to source/package two smaller single cores than a larger core and split piping or a dual inlet dual outlet core.

Anyway, more fun piping!

Very large turbos.

Very tiny turbos.

One turbo per cylinder? Sure. Why not.

Not many packaging concerns in the open air.

Packaging? What's that?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I saw a GT-R in the middle of nowhere central Tennessee today. I figured for sure it was a body kit of some kind when I saw it coming towards me, but nope. Really unexpected seeing as the MEDIAN per-capita income around here is $19,144.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

toaster_pastry posted:

I am told this is the main gun from an A10.

It is, and takes up most of the forward section of the plane:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mutt2jeff posted:

Legally, your not allowed to post pictures like that without including a link to the amazing videos.

http://youtu.be/oxvmrmLYbls

This one's better, though :nws: for language. Can't say I blame the guys though. Depleted uranium rounds the size of a soda can are no loving joke.

http://youtu.be/kkkhYg8F2og

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

I always knew that F1 drivers were seated in a very reclined position, but I never realized it was that ridiculous. Now I understand another reason why they have to be so physically fit (aside from the G-forces): cardiovascular training probably helps keep the blood circulating to their feet and not pooled up in their rear end.

This video of an actual cutaway F1 + driver illustrates it pretty drat well. That looks uncomfortable as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wn1EFLa2C8

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Hmmm Claaaassssy...

I think it may be physically impossible to look at this picture without hearing that 50s "this is going to happen in the future" song in your head.

Holy poo poo I just spent a half hour looking for that song but I don't know it's name and can't find it. I don't even think I can explain it in text. :(

Thanks "Help me identify a song" megathread

The song is Happy-Go-Lively

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 11, 2013

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man, those are amazing. I can only assume that Где Супра? is Russian for "no supra?" which I found hilarious.

Also what on earth is #39 Конец

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Went to a wine tasting thing on the weekend that happened to coincide with a British car meetup. Lots of neat stuff, but this one stood out.

'74 TVR, second owner, 23000 miles on it. New paint and new carpet in the rear under the glass due to FL sun bleaching, but otherwise all original.

:stare:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Filthy Luker posted:

Hemi V8 :911: powered air raid siren :fap:

You forgot the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04SMJlwosZ0

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

The main character in Arthur C Clarke's The Ghost From The Grand Banks invented this.

poo poo, Renault invented this back in 1992. I remember thinking the Renault Raccoon was rad as poo poo. Also amphibious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

We've got one of those around here too, you can see it on Google maps' street view:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Q_res posted:

Yeah, the fact that GM Chevy was building a rear-engine car with a turbocharged flat-six (with IRS in some cases) in the 60s is pretty mind-blowing no matter how long you've known it.

You forgot to add "air cooled."

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fucknag posted:

You try getting a sunburn on your scalp and see how much you like the wonderful light of day (this happened to me as a kid when I was riding in a convertible, ultra-sunroof would be the same).

Glass is pretty much opaque to most of the UV spectrum.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

What, normal quarter windows weren't good enough for them? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_glass those things are amazing, open it all the way and it's a big old scoop pouring air over your legs and torso. So nice.

Also awesome for funneling any and all insects directly into your torso.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

and 4 years before that, the buick blackhawk.

But instead, we get the PT Cruiser & HHR. Whyyyyyyyyyy.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

This was in the related stories column. It's just as bonkers as the two Volvos, if not more so.

What on earth is the box on the left? Oil-to-water oil cooler (is that even a thing?)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Oil catch can.

I suppose that explains the breather filter. Isn't it kind of...huge? Some artifact of having a massive turbo/increased crankcase pressure I guess?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Are those inverse popup headlights? :psyduck:

Also I completely lost it when I noticed '80s Babe #2.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

You should have done a scan of page 342 before posting that.

It's funny since that picture is showing up in just about every "awesome picture" thread on the entire forums.

Yes I'm subscribed to just about all of them.

Shut up.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Two Finger posted:

did you honestly just lmgtfy me? goddamn

here have some photos of my ship going from full ahead to full astern

Gonna need a video or at least a shot of the screws from the end on, because their geometry is loving with my head something serious. :catdrugs:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

K'Nex is awesome, the cat (well, kitten at the time) we had LOVED my K'Nex ball factory. He liked it so much I built a little platform on it halfway up so he could sit there and watchinterfere with its proper operation more comfortably.

I feel that I must post this now, because :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-zcsieI8kM

Like you all, I just made ridiculously over reinforced cars out of k'nex. Lego cars were fun to smash, take forensic analysis of the damage & reassemble, k'nex were for smashing, taking analysis and then reinforcing.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

Didn't they sell that exact vehicle a few years ago?

They made 12 of them. Not sure how many still exist.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I especially appreciate the fire suppression systems behind each wheel.

Boomerjinks, get your crew on this, stat.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Spotted on the NJ Parkway northbound from the shore. Shame about the bumpers.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Needs a crank-mounted supercharger on both blocks.

:getin:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Saw this in thumbnail form searching for something else and thought it was a pretty good image of a roots-type blower.

Then I enlarged it realized that was a guy.

:stare:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's right up there with the runaway tire that stacks itself.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

How do I get one of those in my garage (that loving tool rack they cut to!)

Second.

My jaw dropped at that giant conveyor belt of tools. :cocaine:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

bennyfactor posted:

Self-sealing stem bolt.

I actually googled that. :saddowns: :techno:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, the test bed for that thing is loving nuts:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yep, it sounds about like you would expect it to

https://youtu.be/-8QPze4k5ek

poo poo, that's when it had only one really big turbo, now it's got one big turbo per rotor.

I'd imagine it gets more boost, faster. :supaburn:

e: Looks like the multi-turbo setup was older, guess one giant one was way less of a pain in the rear end to run.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 14, 2015

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Humbug posted:

I think the quad turbo setup is the new one. There is a video of it idling on their news page.

http://www.curranbrothersracing.co.nz/page/Racing_News/

Huh, interesting. They had a 3-turbo setup back in 2011, and the single one was 2014. Kind of cool seeing the car go through various development stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQbVJFVnek

Looking at it, seems they only had 3 rotors back then, so 3 turbos then/4 turbos now makes sense? That thing is mental.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

I thought you were being a bit hyperbolic even given how neat that thing is, then I read about the drivetrain. :stare:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Is there something these dudes love about putting 4-5 oil drums strapped to the flatbed prior to ramming something? Or maybe to get the vehicle up to a specific weight, fill 'em with water?

I think it's supposed to simulate an ANFO truck bomb.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i want to stick a compressed air line into that turbine and see what happens.

http://i.imgur.com/NAvvzch.gifv

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Boston Bike Life eat your hearts out, Mecca Bike Life has this poo poo on lock

I can't help but wonder if that first word is "hahahahahaha" or "loooooooool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

There was a very very long running build thread on this on some forum I was following and eventually lost track of. Good to see that thing actually got done.