Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think Hot Wheels should sue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

MrYenko posted:

Its a Chevrolet LS7 crate engine, not any kind of bespoke engine.

So it really is just a giant, ugly Plymouth Prowler.
What exactly makes it $1.1m? I feel like I've missed something here. A lot of things, actually. I wouldn't pay more than $35k for that abomination

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

xzzy posted:

It's pretty normal for cars of that era to keep their shape in a wreck. The issues are a lack of seat belts, no head rests, a tendency for the engine to enter the passenger area in a front collision, and the steering wheel crushing the driver.

If you ever wondered what the back of your instrument panel looks like....
http://youtu.be/xtxd27jlZ_g

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Xy Hapu posted:

Saw this today while filling up at Costco's . . .

I can only imagine some stupid rumor started floating around that doing this gives you a bit of free gas or something. Otherwise, it's just like, WHY

The same reason New Jersey doesn't let people pump their own gas

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Can anyone explain to me what ride the ducks is?

Tourists clamber into amphibious milsurp vehicles and get shown the town and the water front.

It's all harmless and boring stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_tour

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

I saw a bmw i3 today and now that is truly terrible car stuff.

One thing you can't really see all that well in the pictures is just how massive and terribly proportioned it is.

Think of the size of an older toyota rav 4 (because that's what it was behind) and you're at around 90% of that size. Except all the lights and fittings and body panels are the same size as a normal car, and none of the colors match.

Truly horrendous horrible terrible car poo poo.

I kind of like the design, even the odd wheels and how it kind of looks like a car that is halfway through goomba-stomping another car, it reminds me of Mass Effect and FTL. Even though it has almost the same dimensions of a civic hatchback, it looks so massive and cumbersome in comparison.

If only it were the size of a fiat, it would be acceptable as a cool, futuristic novelty vehicle, but as is, it's a $50k eyesore

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

enojy posted:

I actually like that quite a bit for once (it's the European version, right?)

I believe so, the type R is just the euro version of the SI, right?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

xzzy posted:

Also, racing is going to a weird place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE78Og1MdSw

I'm sure we'll get used to it if alternative energy racing ever catches on but for now it is scary and horrible.

It's not much worse than jet turbine dragsters, I kind of like it. I would miss the noise if I were a driver though

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Is it wrong to say that I would buy it in a second if it actually had an engine and ran?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

My lincoln has 5 ashtrays and 0 cupholders.

Priorities, folks.

Now, let's see one of you defend this one.

Call me paranoid, but this is all I can think of when I read the words, "salvage title"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Sappo569 posted:

Reminds me of this lady I can hear parking her Toyota Matrix from 3 blocks away, she has to rev it to about 6k before starting to let the clutch out

I do that even if I'm not on a hill :radcat:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Bucephalus posted:

You shut your whore mouth :colbert:

I was about to agree with you, but then I looked up what the "convertible" portion looked like

It's almost as bad as those Nissan ones

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

:stare:
I was upset paying $250 for a set of new headlights, but I guess I'm pretty happy with it now

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

alex314 posted:

Every tenth car in my area has one of those stickers, it doesn't stop some cyclists from installing fartcannons on pretense of safety.

Like the idiot in the sound dampening escalade who's blasting music and barely paying attention to road is going to hear it, or even be able to tell where the noise is coming from. Maybe in the 90's that was valid
Bikers just like the loud pipes. There's no shame in admitting that you like engine noise, just don't pretend that you're doing it for safety

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'm not a particularly big fan of focus testing, but did no one put a regular driver behind the wheel and then ask about their experience with this new system before producing +800,000 vehicles? I'm honestly really confused as to how it got to mass production before anyone noticed that it wasn't very clear if the 3,000 pound vehicle, that they were expecting the average, distracted driver to buy, was in park or drive.

And for LEO chat, I'm pretty sure that you can turn your hazards on to acknowledge that you are going to comply with the order to pull over, but still drive to a safer area if you don't feel comfortable with the emergency vehicle/location. Maybe that's just Illinois and not all of the US, but I remember this being a big deal when Ford stopped making Crown Vic Interceptors and police departments started to pull people over in unfamiliar cars. My favorite UC cars so far are this pair of white Dodge Rams loaded to look like work trucks that cruise around in the evenings and pull over assholes in rush hour, and my town's lime green Turbo Fiesta. Seeing that tiny thing fly over the train tracks with the lights and sirens was just hilarious

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Couldn't you just buy a decent Miata AND a decent Z3 for that price?

You could buy a good condition M-Z3 and lovely Miata, but at that point, why bother with the Miata at all?

And seriously why put an American, carbureted truck engine inside of a modern Japanese roadster that you're trying to pass off as a modern German sports car? 3 series engines and transmissions are not hard to find and would help sell the appearance of that monstrosity you spent waaaaaay too much money to build

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

kastein posted:

Yeah seriously, a 3800sc from some crapcan at the junkyard is under 500 bucks all-in.

What a loose wet sack of mismatched turds that "custom car" is.

Because he got an S-10 from his Grandpa who fought in WW2 and to honor his memory, he destroyed a classic car and further mauled a twisted hybrid of Axis roadsters. That's literally the only explanation that I can imagine

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

If it pretended to blend with the rest of the interior, like made it out of the same material they put in the engine bay, it wouldn't be so bad, just tacky. This is such a shock of shiny, ugly, washed out, plush mess that it makes me irrationally angry. Even the ignition is almost entirely obscured by the fabric!

I don't even care about the obnoxious COWBOYS wrap on the pillars, I hate the fact that everything that could conceivably be touched other than the steering wheel, shiftknob, and handbrake has that awful microfiber on it. Ignoring the horrible texture of that cheap, shiny, microfiber cloth, how the gently caress do you even clean the fabric installed around every single electronic component of the interior?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

um excuse me posted:

It's a good question and the issue is time. Time is needed to absorb energy at safe levels. The more time you have the less energy/second (Watts) you have to absorb in a crash. With shorter cars, it is often fact that the crash structure before the occupant is also shorter. Given a specific speed, this means there is less time to absorb energy in an impact, increasing the likelihood of serious injury or even death. Cars like the Smart ForTwo boasts extremely strong crash structures, but they also do a terrible job at absorbing energy.

I knew a guy who was a Fortwo fanboy. He got into an accident with his vehicle and sustained major injuries while the other driver was able to walk away. He couldn't afford to pay the medical bills he accrued. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but I firmly believe if he had been driving a larger vehicle with a longer crash structure, he would have also been okay.

I would argue that the massive Bro-Trucks and giant SUV's are the problem in that equation. I hate not being able to buy any of the super cool, tiny, foreign cars for fear of becoming paste under a truck driven by someone who has no need for, and doesn't pay enough attention to safely use, a vehicle that obnoxiously large. It's a lot of the same problems that motorcycles and scooters have, the vehicle itself is pretty safe as long as you aren't a moron and wear helmets, jackets, etc, but the real danger in riding is almost exclusively from other drivers on the road who won't bother to look before swerving into your lane and smashing your vehicle beneath them. Even if a FourTwo collided with a modern sedan, the sedan would crumple, making the occupants of both vehicles significantly safer than if it hit a larger vehicle that was structurally reinforced to handle the weight of the vehicle, the torque from the engine, and the stress of towing.

My anecdotes are much more tame, but my sister's Baby-daddy has an F-250 super duty that he parks at our place on his visitation days and parking behind it makes me really uncomfortable because his license plate is about level with the dash in my Civic. He could just back up on top of my car with no problems if he were so inclined, or just didn't look before reversing. My car is stock USDM with no adjustments to the ride height and his only has dealer upgrades, no real aftermarket stuff. My car would be perfectly safe if I were to hit or be hit by a normal vehicle, even vans and most SUV's would be ok because my car would take the hit in a crumple zone and safely buckle, keeping the majority of the force from reaching the cabin. Hell, I was able to smack into a ~110lb buck at 85 miles an hour and then drive for 400 miles after forcing the panel back out of the wheelwell because the crumpled metal deflected him away from the interior of the car instead of holding shape and sliding him over the hood.
No matter how safe I should be on the road, all of the crumple zones in the world can't protect me from a bumper that's just going directly over the safety features of my car in a crash

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

um excuse me posted:

I don't disagree this is part of the equation. I never understood the whole big vehicle craze. Then again I'm young and have plenty of time to grow into it. However at a certain point any sufficiently small car becomes dangerous to operate at highway speeds because of the forces involved if you get into an accident.

I was going to be an rear end post the NHTSA crash test data where Miatas of the same year outperform Jeep Cherokees for a whole generation, but after looking at the tests themselves, the National Highway Traffic Safety Association doesn't seem perform tests at highway speeds. The closest I found is the full frontal 35mph which is supposed to simulate 70mph collisions, but is extremely unhelpful considering that a wall behaves very differently than a car would on impact and it doesn't accurately reflect the effect that two vehicles would have on one another.

Then, I looked at IIHS and NCAP tests, and it looks like no one really does tests (or at least doesn't like to publish the results thereof) at actual highway speeds for all of the cars that are intended to drive on the highway, for reasons that are frankly beyond me. It's like they realized that there were no universal, cost effective safety measures that were reliable enough above 55mph and collectively chose to quietly ignore the fact that cars go faster than 35mph to improve the perceived safety of what they're selling :tinfoil:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

xzzy posted:

Not actually true, in a head on collision both vehicles are coming to a rapid stop. The effect is that they experience the collision as if the other object were a solid wall. You only start to see differences if the two bodies have significantly different masses, because the larger body has more momentum.. which I believe means the smaller body is going to recoil in the reverse direction somewhat.

That's what I was getting at. Not all vehicles are uniform weight, or even from the same era of meterial composition or safety standards, so the wall test is a little disingenuous as "highway speed"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I think the paint is really saves it from being terrible. Even with the ironic(?) vanity plate, if it was murdered out, it would be a knock off batmobile/tank/tumbler-thing, but the obnoxious paint and the whdels on a GM sports car feels like Micheal Bay channeling Suda51. I would own that car in a second

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

To promote the new generation of Chevy Camaros, GM spent God knows how much money on the new Transformers movie, leading to this.... divisive design for what is supposed to be an old VW Bug.

While everyone was mad about that "classic character being ruined", no one noticed that the new Bumblebee was actually just a rebadged Scion tC RS7

Airbagchat: I got mine done within a week of the first big recall notice, but I got 2 additional recall notices for my airbags 8-9 months afterwards, even though my car only has 2 airbags that have already been replaced.
I mean, my understanding was that the recall was because these paste-eaters decided that instead of having more stable propellants to inflate airbags in a more controlled manner, they were going to use the notoriously unstable ammonium nitrate instead. :downs:
For the unaware, ammonium nitrate is a very dangerous explosive that is very sensitive to temperature and humidity, and infamous for blowing up factories that produce it and ships that carry it, but is a great fertilizer and a cheap explosive when properly manufactured and stored, so we still use it anyways. This chemical that is known throughout the world for becoming more and more unstable the longer it is exposed to just about everything it could possibly be exposed to, they decided to make in extremely humid environments, by unqualified laborers, with no quality control. Their brilliant and forward thinking plan was to make pellets out of it, coat them in wax, and pray that the wax wouldn't ever melt or crack, so that they couldn't reach the hilariously low humidity required to fuse the all of the pellets together with the wax and turn a safety device into an IED. :wtc:

Once it's been replaced and you don't have goddamned ANFO pointed at your loving face anymore, there shouldn't be any issues, right?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 7, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

azflyboy posted:

This.

After ValuJet ended up killing 110 people in Florida due to their executives being cheap bastards, their CEO proceeded to found Allegiant Air, which is basically "ValuJet 2.0", and has only avoided an accident caused by shoddy maintenance due to blind luck and skilled flight crews.

My old hospital network spent $15 million on rebranding these well established, local hospitals that everyone knows under one name because they were all bought by the same company and should have the same name because of it? The logic never added up to me. New signs, new signs for the ~40 affiliated physicians and clinics, banners everywhere, ad spaces, new everything for our new brand, but our CEO never bothered to check if the name was already in use, so while we were at least $80 million in the red, with +$300 million in payments from the state being multiple years late, our $15 million "investment" was pissed away and litigation was threatened immediately. We got bought out a couple months later, the rebranding effort was immediately forgotten, and the CEO who oversaw that decision stayed as the regional director under the new company, with a healthy bonus for stepping down willingly.

My hospital used to have one of the best ER High Census/Bypass systems in the country, but our CEO forced our ED director and then the interim director to quit, put in a yesman, dismantled the Bypass Protocols, cut salaries and staffing, and then never went on Bypass because we get fined for being on Bypass. Surprise, surprise, we had a 250% increase in serious safety events, in which patients are directly harmed because we had frighteningly small amounts of nurses taking on an unsafe workload for weeks on end, to the point that some nurses stopped showing up, and there would be 3 nurses for 60 ER patients, with 100 more in the waiting room. He's still the CEO, even though he also directly caused 6 other department heads to quit and made our entire staff of psych doctors walk off the job, shuttering our psych floors and further clogging the ER.

I wish I had that kind of job security

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Welcome to the glorious future of last year

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

fyodor posted:

I said that manufacturers aren't actually doing OTA ECU updates and then you posted a loving Chrysler (lol) getting hacked by some nerds.

Yeah, but you said

fyodor posted:

Yea but we were talking about ECU updates and you said "modern ones are done through wifi or whatever network without you even knowing about it on the fly as you drive."

:tinfoil:

As if it couldn't be done. So far Tesla is the only company doing ECU's, but other companies do just about every other form of software update OTA through companion apps, Onstar, or onboard wifi hotspots

http://www.oesa.org/Publications/OESA-News/August-2015/ver-the-Air-Updates-to-Become-Commonplace-in-Vehicles.html

E: meaning that the car would have to be on for them to receive the signal from the phone apps or built in receivers, so it might end up being "on the fly as you drive"

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 8, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

If having a running car is that important may I suggest that next time you guys invest in a well maintained used Japanese sedan instead of all Chryslers all the time?

But I don't want to give my :20bux: to no commie bastards in Asia. I need an American car! I need an American Truck! I need a lifted Dodge Ram!!!!!! I need to put a giant :911: flag over my rear window and plaster it with "Buy American" and "NObama" stickers :bahgawd:
Even though it's actually an Italian car now, since it Chrysler stopped being an American company in 1998

My favorite version of that was seeing Ford Rangers with "buy American" stickers, since they had bought a Mazda B-series pickup and then bragged about their American car...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

In addition to the Ranger being an American truck in every way I don't think what you are describing is actually reflective on anyone? All the cars I see in this and other threads with vocal conservative stickers have been Priuses or Toyota trucks. Conservatives seem to really not like GM or Chrysler because they are fronts for UAW communists. Why would they buy a truck from a company like GM or Chrysler that Obama himself personally spent billions saving and propping up when they couldn't compete in the free market? Who are these strawmen you are describing?

Oh, of course the Ranger was just a B-series everywhere except America, where it was basically just a Ford with Mazda drivetrain components... That's what I get for not double checking. Anyway, the Priuses and foreign cars get posted because they're funnier than another one of these loving trucks

Those stopped being amusing around 2013, and are just really depressing now because they still have the faded "NOPE" sticker from 2008, even though we're 2 election cycles away from that being relevant. There's a silver RAM that I see every once in a while in my town with a really wordy "buy American" sticker on its tailgate, out in the boonies, there was this big diesel RAM with the NRA/American flag window decal and several "NObama" style stickers that I would see on my way to school, a lifted coal roller that had a Confederate Tailgate and "Miss W Yet" sticker on the window, and so many others. I thought everywhere else had them too, but Illinois is full of these trucks, and they're almost always RAMs or Silverados, but I did see a Ranger once, and that really stuck out because of the Mazda connection. And because it was a 20 year old truck that was in great shape, minus a really cheap Star-Spangled paintjob and countless :911: stickers

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

HookedOnChthonics posted:

What about shiny, proudly maintained vintage political trim? :v:

I spotted this dude just a few days after the Libertarian party convention, which if you missed it managed to provide some standout moments of absolute unfiltered crazy in an election season not at all lacking for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d45x4OpMoow.

One single person cast a write-in vote for Ron Paul to be the presidential nominee on the first ballot.

Good lord... Just remove the stickers! He didn't even make it onto the ballot and then retired from politics, why would you still have the sticker almost a decade later?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

That bothers me less than the flashing brake lights. I get that it's safer and almost 100% necessary for motorcycles, I just don't want the drat things to flash every time they tap the brakes. At least make it so that only the third light flashes unless the brake pedal is depressed far and fast. That way, the back of the car isn't a light show every time it has to turn
Maybe it's their weird strobe patterns, but I really do not like those lights...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Un chien andalou posted:

Congratulations on being a sociopath!

I don't know, I feel like the 22hz one is just asking for trouble. The other stuff is obnoxious and would put me on the border between amused and angry, depending on how long the stoplight was, but 22 strobes a second is not cool for sitting in traffic. And if it's as bright as it looks, I would feel slightly justified in knocking out his taillights.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

It's an irrational hatred, I know, but I just imagine the really bright 22hz flashes at 11PM, right in my face and it reminds me of the poorly aligned HID headlights that are aimed directly at my rearview mirror, but flashing 22 times a second...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

But it looks so happy to be there!!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

$20,000 for a mobile party machine that can be heard from hundreds of yards away, over the noise of a professional baseball game? Sounds like a bargain, provided that you have money to pay the impound lot every time you turn it on

http://www.vice.com/read/american-hero-arrested-for-having-80-speakers-in-his-van-vgtrn?utm_source=vicefbus

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I had to get a quick picture because a group of people were coming, but barely pictured are his drum brakes that have been sprayed red

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Make an American market Mighty Boy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

They're supposed to be in angled pairs, but if my understanding of fluid dynamics is correct, they should be pointing away from the front of the vehicle and not nearly as large as they are.
Neither I nor wikipedia can seem to actually understand their intended purpose on a car. I know what they do for small aircraft, and what the equivalent structures do for golf balls and shark skin, but the wiki entry just makes note that they are occasionally put on cars and aircraft fuselages, no elaboration. I suppose it theoretically helps with drag, but the speed necessary for them to overcome the additional drag of a dozen tiny vanes breaking up the sleek profile of the car seems like it's not attainable under normal driving conditions. That coupled with the fact that I have never seen them on anything race related makes me think that installing them on a car is pointless at best, but most likely has a negative impact on overall performance.

:words: incoming
For them to really function as drag reduction, I think that the entire surface of the car would have to be covered in micro-vortex generators, the grille entirely removed, the intake relocated below the bumper or by the rear wheel wells, and a separate intake for the radiator/intercooler that is no longer behind the grille; but that design would be ugly, impossible to clean, and very fragile. Think the bastard child of a Bertone X1/9, a TVR 2500M, and a Lamborghini Miura. And instead of clear coat, a layer of tiny, pointed, semi-rigid, carbon filaments (like a rasp made of microfiber cloth) engulf the body of the car. I am making myself very unhappy with this thought exercise...

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 29, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

MrYenko posted:

VGs aren't for drag reduction; They cause a measurable amount of parasitic drag, in fact. They're used to prevent (more accurately, to delay) boundary layer separation near the trailing edge of an airfoil, often in conjunction with a control surface, so that the control surface retains control authority at higher angles of attack/lower airspeeds. On cars, you'll often see them mounted at the trailing edge of the roofline, in an attempt to keep the boundary layer attached to the car along the back window, which is a pretty extreme angle for relative wind to follow without detaching. Almost certainly a waste of effort on almost anything short of a maximum-effort time-attack or land-speed race car, and even then you're probably either going to be rules-limited to a stock roofline with no aero mods, or you're going to modify the body shape to be more aerodynamic, anyway.

Here's a pic of a 727's #2 engine inlet s-duct, note the VGs, used to keep the boundary layer attached to the duct as it changes direction.

The VGs on that van would be attempting to keep the boundary layer attached to the body farther back along the curve of the back window. However, due to the extreme (almost 90°) angle between the sides of the van where the VGs are mounted, and the rear panel of the van, I seriously doubt they're contributing anything other than a slight amount of parasitic drag.

Oh, I thought that they were supposed to be like placoid scales, instead of real, aviation style vortex generators. I know them from the wings of small aircraft and I could not think of the flaps and control surfaces that a car would need VG's for, so I put that idea out of my mind entirely. :eng99:

I guess there are some VG like structures on some of the uglier supercars, but they are few and far between

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know if the fact that it's not a Viper makes this better or worse, but that's an impressive amount of time and money to make a bad looking car

E: Also, all of the detail going into this car is made less impressive by realizing that snakes have 1 pair of eyes. It's clearly a viper, make the inner lights the pits so it doesn't look like it came from the Bikini Atoll

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

SneakyFrog posted:

if this isnt AI as gently caress even and ESPECIALLY if it immediately explodes into a horrible death inferno i dont know what is :catbert:

Horrible death infernos, in my jet car? More likely than you'd think

Ryan McQueen posted:

...400 litres of jet fuel...
...With only a few lessons from his high school drafting class to inform him, he got to work building and designing the car from scratch...
"I didn't know how to weld, engineer, bend tubing, lay up fibreglass or carbon fibre, or even know anything about jet engines."
...He hasn't even hit the ignition.

Best case scenario with the projected speed of his vehicle, he goes too fast and the car becomes a plane for a few seconds before smashing whatever is left of the ~100 gallons of fuel in the tank directly into the ground

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 5, 2016