Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Did Superman have the eye beams established yet at that era, or was he still just the flying muscleman with random new powers every week?

Yeah, that was late sixties so the eye beams were pretty firmly established. It was the 40's and 50's that were generally the new power every issue era.

Little Mac posted:

That Hazmat thing is hilarious. Does Marvel even own the rights to those characters? I was wondering who that was.

They do; there was stuff when the game was coming out about how Marvel was going to use these new characters created for the game. Not that anyone familiar with that kind of situation believed them for an instant...

As long as I'm posting, here's Thor to explain politics for you:

Yes, that's real. It's from Giant Sized Howard the Duck #1, IIRC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is there a reason all the Giant Men in Ultimates are actually Giant Women?

Gavok posted:

"Don't stare. Your mind fixates and then you find yourself surfing through some weird chatrooms."

There's your answer.

World's Finest 189, one of the stranger stories in a series of strange stories.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Don't listen to these guys. Orange and chocolate are nasty together and there's a mass delusion that they're good.

I hate extending a derail in this thread so here's something from Super Antics #2:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Talking about Judge Dredd a week or two ago made me want to reread some of it and I had to share this. These are from Judge Dredd Case Files 2 which would have been originally in 2000 AD 90-94 (I think; if I'm counting correctly).

I give you...

The Saga of Judge Fish

So after Judge Dredd gets back from a long mission the Chief Judge of Mega City-1 dies. Dredd himself is shot through the head by a sniper and Deputy Chief Judge Cal takes over the city. The only problem? He's completely insane.

He needs a new Deputy Chief Judge and so...

Judge Fish's first official action is a despicable one:

Later he makes some Judges wear dresses as a punishment for letting Dredd get away:

The reign of terror of Judge Fish continues:

Sic semper tyranus!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Please tell us that Dredd later finds the filthy perp responsible for the vile murder of Judge Fish and dispenses the appropriate justice. :unsmith:

Find him? Judge Dredd is the one who had Judge Fish assassinated!

(Yes, Judge Dredd ordered a hit on a fish. This is why you need to read these comics.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Doom's sex life is nonexistent. While lesser mortals may be willing to settle for the vagaries of fleshly delight, Doom finds only pleasure in CONQUEST.

He was fixated on Valeria (his old girlfriend before he went off to college, not Reed and Sue's kid). Doom is the gooniest supervillain.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

graybook posted:

These days, he's known as The Trapster.

And by these days you mean everything after his second appearance. So, since 1964.

But he'll never live that name down...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Damien's right. "Two Gentlemen of Verona" is probably Shakespeare's worst play and is only notable for being an early effort.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was that the issue with Super-Ventriloquism?

You say that like there was only one issue where Superman used his Super-Ventriloquism.

They actually turned that issue of the comic into an episode of the television series...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gatts posted:

Dr. Doom saying fear is for lesser men is a great bit of dialog and characterization. Easily one of my favorite characters when written with complexity than cartoon villain.

Doom is great because he is the platonic cartoon villain. Embrace it.

E the Shaggy posted:

No clue on the source, but holy poo poo:

That's the Star Jaws issues of Spidey Super Stories.

And have some bonus Spidey Super Stories from issue 56.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

John Dyne posted:

How do you do a spit take without any lips?

How does the Red Skull make "m" sounds without any lips? Obviously, he has lips but they're invisible.

I'll take my no-prize now in the form a single lump sum.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ein Bear posted:

I've always loved that original, Kirby idea of him just having this really tiny, barely noticable scar. It fits the character so well. Never liked the semi-retcon of him burning his face when he first put on the mask.

That's not Kirby's original idea. He didn't start talking about that until the 1970's. In the 60's stories which Kirby drew and was involved in plotting, Doom's face is definitely hideously scarred.

Here's an example of that, demonstrating Dr. Don Blake's excellent bedside manner:

(Thor 182)

muscles like this? posted:

Classic Wonder Woman's catchphrase was "Hola." I'm more laughing at how their head scientist is just called Paula.

IIRC, she was a villain in the 1940's that Wonder Woman reformed with spanking and bondage.

I'm not joking about that.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darth Brooks posted:

That's Thor 182 (Nov 1970)
"The Prisoner-The Power-And- Dr. Doom!"
Writer: Stan Lee
Artist: John Buscema
Inker: Joe Sinnott

I don't know if Kirby would have done this scene the same as Buscema or if he would have argued with Stan. By the time it came out He had left Marvel.

Well, how about this?

Fantastic Four #10. Jack Kirby drawing Jack Kirby reacting in horror to Dr. Doom's face. It's hard to get more definitive.

(Those are the two silver age "Doom takes off his mask and people are horrified" scenes that come to mind immediately, the first one is just more amusing than that one. All of the other ones I know are Doom reacting to his face alone and while there are hints that it's really hideous rather than a scar the lack of any outside perspective doesn't help.)

Gatts posted:

Clearly it implies the King is elected. It's like people electing a Dictator. I bet Dr. Doom has polls open and everyone votes for him to retain office with 110% reporting and they just leave him to decide everything for the country.

Doom doesn't even have to cheat. Would you vote against Doom?

That gives me a wonderful idea if Marvel is ever stupid enough to hire me to write the Fantastic Four. Doom owns that castle in upstate New York. He might be eligible to run for governor or senator from that state.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And that's why Doom shot the Baxter Building into space.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

The "Doom had a minor scar" thing is perfectly compatible with those pages. The idea is that the lab accident back at the university gave him a fairly minor scar, which he blew completely out of proportion. His later, greater disfigurement was due to the armor.

The definitive version of this idea is from "Triumph and Torment" (I think) but I know it predates that. (Crops of pages four and six.)

That page is actually quoting Fantastic Four Annual #2 which Byrne used as his way of bringing Kirby's revised vision of Dr. Doom's scar into continuity. That wasn't the statement I was refuting though. A lot of comic fans think that Kirby's concept of Dr. Doom's face that he started talking about and drawing in conventions during the 70's was the "original" version (to quote Ein Bear) and that simply isn't true.

Personally, I like the idea that it's a tiny scar and if someone wanted to tell their Dr. Doom stories using that version of events it would be no skin off my nose.

But explaining the development of character concepts and how they shifted over decades isn't a funny panel...

(Jimmy Olsen #66)

Uh... that wasn't tobacco, Jimmy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

That was just Doom disappointed that other people managed to do it before him. He probably thinks he could've done it better too.

"Planes? How pedestrian."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zereth posted:

I don't have the image on hand, but there's also one where he stops some ice falling on him. Magnetically. So they were really "anything he loving wants as long as he mentions magnets while doing it".

Some day I want someone to beat Magneto by walking up behind him with a wooden baseball bat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

graybook posted:

And continuing in the thread of "how did this get here i am not good with editor"

Avengers A.I. #2

That's probably intentional given it's an homage to a recently passed artist.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

Context, schmontext.

Avengers No. 83

Anyone familiar with Marvel comics in the 70's already knows the context.

I got so sick of Rutland, Vermont...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ibntumart posted:

The city in real life apparently holds a big superhero-themed parade every Hallowe'en, which endeared the city to both DC and Marvel comic writers.

I think the Wikipedia page only has a few of the appearances. Rutland was the site of a very early Defenders story, for example. Perhaps in other appearances it wasn't specified as Rutland, but it always was that town anyway.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

So America's favorite frontier hero is...a white guy named Tomahawk. :geno:

The white man who learns the noble savage's ways and uses them to help his fellow pioneers was a very common trope in westerns.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I fully endorse this idea, so I'll just do a quick search for Aquaman an-

:stare:

I have no idea on the source, I've searched and all I can find is more people going :stare:

Adventure Comics 282. I'm not going to provide any more context than that, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I really want to think that Doom is a closet cinephile now, with his personal theater inside Castle Von Doom, getting all of Hollywood's films shipped directly to Latvaria. And I'm picturing him sitting there with his bucket of popcorn and giant soda, loving every minute of it.

He probably just saw it when he was in college and that accursed Richards kept having scifi movie nights in the dorm lounge while Doom was trying to study.

I would kill to read a book that was all Doom, Reed, and Ben's zany college adventures. Doom trying to get into Ben's frat. The three of them on double secret academic probation after a madcap prank involving teleporting the dean's car into the cafeteria and having to win the College Sports Day events to stay in school. Reed using the laser project he was working on to fill a house with popcorn. That kind of thing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 17, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

Actually Lovecraft was so shockingly racist, even considering the era, that his correspondence with fellow pulp writer of the age Robert E. Howard actually went a ways toward making Howard less racist.

Yeah, you read that right. He was easily capable of out-racisting someone from 1920s Texas to the point that they went "woah woah hold on a minute".

A few years ago Terry Bison wrote a really good story called "Shoggoths in Bloom" that was essentially a response to Lovecraft's racism. It's worth checking out if you're a fan of Lovecraft because it's a different direction from the usual pastiches.

This was my exact reaction to the film conversation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Are you talking about Elizabeth Bear's piece from Asimov's Science Fiction, or are there really two different pieces dealing with Lovecraft's racism named Shoggoths in Bloom? For reference, here's Bear's story: http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0803/shoggoths.shtml

Yes I am. Wrong animal scifi author.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Squidster posted:

Shoot, my reading comprehension would appear to be terrible. I had actually read that after I googled the name, but assumed it was an incomplete excerpt based on the whole "Please make sure to check out the conclusion in our March issue on sale now!" in the footer.

Magazines usually post the entirety of award nominated (or in this case winning) stories on their sites. It helps raise their profile in the voting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The real "how does he shoot" question is how does he shoot when his eyes are behind the black portions of the costume?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For covers that get referenced way more than you'd expect (as opposed to the endless Action #1 and FF #1 homages), Uncanny X-Men 100 comes up a lot, too.

Speaking of X-Men covers in that area, how come no one welcomes people to the X-Men anymore with "hope you survive the experience"? I've always wanted a letterer to slip that phrase in Latin onto the school's sign...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Homage or just plagiarism?

I did an overlap comparison and Liefeld wasn't up to his old lightbox tricks (or what is now known as "Landing"). There's a lot of differences. It is likely that he referenced the cover for layout, but it's completely redrawn.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

He's not actually supposed to be a kid, it seems to be a stylistic choice that has just kind of become status quo. When he first joined the FF he was drawn to be more of an older teenager/young adult.

The thing is, Alex is two years older than Julie. Alex is roughly 17 or 18 in some issues of FF while in others he seems to be about 14 or 15. Julie is 22 or 23 in her initial appearances in Runaways before getting deaged a bit for later appearances involving them like in Young Avengers. Katie, on the other hand, is always 5 even when she's supposed to be the same age as Franklin who seems to have been allowed to become about 8. Basically, there was no coordination or checking on how old the Power kids were supposed to be and every just makes them the age they want for their story.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

General Bort posted:

I think she already was gay in the first run. So you gotta ask her creator which came first-- rainbow powers or lesbian.

There wasn't really any sign one way or the other in the first run; Julie was just a little too young for that to come up even without the hesitation that an 80's comic publisher would have toward presenting a homosexual relationship. I doubt there was an intentional connection, the kids swapped their powers around even before Simonson stopped writing the book.

I am completely unashamed of my Power Pack knowledge. It's the best all-ages book that Marvel published in the 1980's and there have been some terrific revivals in recent years. I genuinely don't have complaints about how they're being used right now (even with the ages problem).

Cover to Spider-Man/Power Pack #3.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Okay, since you're a self-confessed Power Pack fanatic, I've always wanted to ask one: What's your opinion on the "lost" TV pilot? I thought it was terrible but innocuous. Typical mid-90's Fox Kids TV fare.

I've never seen it and I would have been way outside the target audience when it was made anyway. Power Pack is one of those concepts that I don't know why Marvel hasn't mined. A kid friendly, targeted at the under 12 superhero movie or television show should be able to clean up if it was competently made.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ubergnu posted:

From DC Super Heroes Super Healthy Cookbook

The seventies were such a dark time for food.

Also, "Super Healthy Cookbook"? Did it include Green Lantern's deep fried Snickers also?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BooDoug187 posted:

And they helped this guy with his lesson plan

The next time I see Larry Hama I'm going to have him teach me at least one of the 18 ways to kill a man with a stapler.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I would also take issue about are there really Beyonders (plural) or is there just the one. And the same for Data.

Canonically there are at least two Data, not counting Lor.
:goonsay:

(Goddamn, I'm not even a Star Trek fan.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Except for the whole hand thing that led him to become a sorcerer in the first place. Or did he fix that at some point?

Yes, it's come up at several points that he's long since healed his own hands and has been called upon to perform surgery several times since then. Brian K. Vaughn ignored this when he wrote The Oath, but ignoring it led to a pretty cool scene so it was completely worth it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My understanding of the Ultimate Nullifier is that it can destroy anything but it will almost certainly kill the user as well. Which is why they don't just bust it out at every threat.

Mark Grunewald had it annihilate anything in the user's awareness. In theory a zen master could use the nullifier and only wipe out of existence what they want to wipe out, but I woudln't want to bet on it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

You know it will later be revealed that that's a Doombot, right? :)

As a Doom fan I am 100% okay with that entire panel sequence being completely cannon.

Choco1980 posted:

Are you sure about that?

:ssh: DC has at least four official origins for The Phantom Stranger. He won't tell which one is true, if any of them.

You poor man to have your innocence robbed like that...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Which makes a lot of sense since Roy Orbison/Superman toured with the Beatles in 1963.

Hey, that can't be Darkseid. He wasn't introduced until after they dropped that trade dress.

Wait a second, this cover is a fake! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

laz0rbeak posted:

It's actually not Wendell Vaughn either. It's Robert Grayson/Marvel Boy/The Uranian. He was a 50's hero that was later reintroduced as a member of Agents of Atlas. :colbert:

No, it's Wendell. He used the name Marvel Boy from his first appearance in Hulk until the start of the Quasar series. The Spidey Super Stories version appeared after Wendell started appearing occasionally.

• Locked thread