Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Khazar-khum posted:

Somebody mentioned Melchior.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but Melchior was also the name of a rapist in Frank Wedekind's Spring Awakening (which spawned the Broadway musical of the same name).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have a cousin called Tootie, after the character in Meet Me in St Louis. She goes by her middle name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Aristophanes posted:

Quipid.

Pronounced "cupid". I just don't understand why :negative:

There's a brand of shoes called Qupid.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Octolady posted:

Marseilles (pronounced Marcy??)

Do those question marks indicate incredulity or uncertainty ?

Was it pronounced mar-say ? Because if so, that's how you pronounce it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

of bees posted:

Jaime ('himey')

That's the standard pronunciation in Spanish-speaking countries.

e: Also, I went to school with a boy called Andreas (pronounced Andre-us). Every single teacher we ever had seemed to pronounce it like Andrea's. It's not that uncommon a name, really.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Mar 12, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Blast Fantasto posted:

Friend that I haven't seen since grade school found me on Facebook. She has a daughter now. A daughter named "Jayd".

I went to high school with a boy called Jayd. He's in a death metal band now.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

deadly_pudding posted:

...What's wrong with Theresa Green?

Trees are green.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

flakeloaf posted:

In a part of the world where "a" is pronounced "err" I can see that being a problem.

Where I'm from (Australia), the 'a' is pronounced 'uh'. The problem is that 'are' is pronounced in such a lazy way that it also sounds like 'uh'.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah, it's an accent thing. Some people will pronounce the name similar to "Treeza" (hence the joke) and in other parts of the world it would be "teh-reese-ah".

For us, it's somewhere in the middle. 'teh-ree-zuh'.
That said, Australian pronunciation is so lax that if you were called 'teh-reese-ah', and someone pronounced it 'teh-ree-zuh' or 'treeza', it probably wouldn't be considered a mispronunciation; only someone pretty finicky would correct a mistake like that.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have a bible that was lent to me in Sunday School as a kid, which I forgot to give back before I moved away. In the front cover, it has the names of the other people it had been lent to over the years.

A. Bort.
Someone with the given name Ghorst.

But then there's someone with the surname Sass.
And, one of the greatest names I've ever heard, Meridien Starchild (who had the book in the '50s).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Nevermind.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

CJacobs posted:

Someone named Chelsy just got hired at my job to fill the recent empty position. Not a weird name, just a weird spelling.

edit: According to Firefox Chelsy is an appropriate substitute for Chelsea or Chelsey and I wholeheartedly disagree!

Firefox lied.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mescal posted:

Sadhbh Walshe

Sadhbh is one of those names that's as common as dirt in Ireland, and pretty much unpronounceable by everyone else. Although the original spelling is much nicer than Sive (or Sow).

Naturally Selected posted:

Dommenique. Because Dominic wasn't fancay enough. Shortened? Yes. Written as Domme, by his mother. Hoping she just doesn't know that's an actual word.

Because of the similarity in spelling to Dominique, I would assume that Dommenique were a girl's name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mescal posted:

So is it pronounced Sive, or Sow?

It depends where you're from. Most people pronounce it Sive (rhymes with drive). But in the Connacht dialect, it's pronounced Sow (rhymes with cow).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

MisterBibs posted:

Saw this name in an awfully :smith: story* in the paper today (the image is huge, sorry about that):

* It's a story about a baby that died, his parents (who didn't even get him a crib, letting him sleep on the couch, and didn't even recover their child's body), and the non-profit organization that gave him a funeral.

I was at he local cemetery the other day, and found a section belonging to the Butt family. There were twin babies that had died right after birth, and hadn't been named. So their gravestone read:

Baby Boy Butt
Baby Girl Butt
In the arms of the Lord.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Rosie Wood.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
The English commentators pronounced Butzhammer just as you'd imagine (butts hammer).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

There is a family who made up a first name for their daughter, complete with weird spelling, so that it rhymed with her last name. I don't want to put the real name here but it's like Nolynn Folan.

I went to primary school with a boy whose first name was Matty (not Matt or Matthew), which rhymed with his surname. A classroom full of 7-year-olds pretty quickly figured out that it also rhymed with 'fatty' and 'tatty' (slang for breast). He was chubby and a total mamma's boy, so the class made good use of these rhymes.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Hummingbirds posted:

Most everyone here says "Aaron" and "Erin" the same, but my boyfriend, who is from New York, swears there is a difference and that he says them differently. :shrug:

Here in Australia, they're completely different. Aaron begins with a sound like the A in 'cat', and Erin begins with a sound like the E in 'keg'.
As a child, I was highly amused every time I saw an American film with a boy called Erin.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

I'm curious- Shrash?

It's actually much closer to Showsht, where the 'ow' is like 'cow' not 'show'.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A few weeks ago, I processed paperwork for someone called Rut. A rather unfortunate name here because it's pronounced 'root' (which here in Australia means 'gently caress'), but still, a fairly common girl's name in quite a few countries.
Today, I met Rut. Rut is a man, and pronounces his name 'rutt', like the verb.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mr. Belpit posted:

Which verb...?

'Rut'. What it's called when deer mate.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

SerialKilldeer posted:

Apsley George Benet Cherry-Garrard, an early 20th-century Antarctic explorer.

His name may be silly, but his book The Worst Journey in the World is brilliant and awe-inspiring.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

LaserBaconMan posted:

Bethesda outright explains that it's probably (definitely) not a good idea to name your child that, for various reasons, and yet they start the contest anyway.:psyboom:It's loving insidious.

Just because they recognise that people are stupid doesn't mean they shouldn't cash in on it. There are entire industries built solely upon the stupidity of the general populous.

Well they clearly don't love her that much.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

strangemusic posted:

Also, regarding "root" and Australia: my grade once had an Australian exchange student. The day we met I was wearing a tee shirt bearing the logo, varsity-sports style, of old, beloved Canadian clothing brand Roots. He was not impressed.

The Canadian clothing brand Roots Kids will have us Australians eternally casting sideways glances at Canada.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Celery Face posted:

A brother is Casey Jr., 19, and a sister is Khayleigh-Huntyr Madisyn, 9.

You'd think that someone who was going to name their child Something Hyphen Verb would first learn the purpose of goddamn hyphens. A Khayleigh-Huntyr (or rather Khayleigh-Hunter) is someone who hunts Khayleighs.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just found a man on IMDb called Lynnsee.

e: And another man on IMDb called Chelcie.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 02:31 on May 24, 2014

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Innocuous Owl posted:

I personally know a girl named Rumour.

Appropriately, her sister's name is Seacrett.

There is nothing appropriate about this.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DStecks posted:

I like that you're making a "dumb sheeple" remark but don't even know how to spell populace.

Haha. Oops. I'll reread posts before posting from now on.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Shithouse Dave posted:

But Coon cheese has everyone giving the side-eye right back. Not to mention the Golden Gaytime, with it's elegant slogan, "it's hard to have a Gaytime on your own".

Coon cheese is named after the founder of the company (an American), so there's nothing to be done about that. Golden Gaytime (and its accompanying slogan), however, are widely accepted by the population at large to be a joke. (Also, that poo poo tastes like loving Ambrosia, so whatever !)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
drat it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I guess it varies from school to school, but at my school here in Australia, high school graduation wasn't even considered a big deal.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Kajeesus posted:

I recently learned that my name is old viking for "jackass". I still think it's cool, though. :unsmith:

It's Tóki, pronounced "tov-che"

Where are you from ? Or rather, where is your name from ?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Kajeesus posted:

I'm Faroese. It's also an Icelandic name.

Thanks; I think it's a great name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DeKalb posted:

I actually did meet a Ladasha. When I first saw it I couldn't believe it and thought of this thread. Maybe someone heard the rumor and liked the name? However, her name was spelled out completely and pronounced something like La-day-zha. So anyone still claiming to have heard of La-a is lying, an idiot, and probably racist and sheltered.

I once knew a boy whose middle name was Lodasia pronounced like La-day-zha.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

All on Black posted:

I also used to work with a Kiana. Her middle name is Nicole, and her sister's name is Nicole Kiana. Rude parents.

I have aunts (twins) called Eva Catherine and Katherine Ava (Eva and Ava pronounced the same).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Alyvia (pronounced Olivia).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
There's someone on my uni mailing list called Russell Sprouts.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

In elementary school I knew a Sade, pronounced shah-DAY.

I know a Finnish girl called Sade. Apparently it's a fairly common name in Finland. It's pronounced sort of like SAH-deh.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

OH NO MAN posted:

:eng101: It also means rain in Finnish.

Not sure how common it is, though. I don't recall ever seeing anyone with that name.

I know one girl called Sade who has a friend with the same name. It's also the name of one of the children on Ti-Ti Nalle. After hearing of 3 Finnish girls with the same name in a period of about 2 months, I just assumed it was common.

e: Just found out that the RIP KELLEY sign I keep seeing by the highway isn't a memorial thing. It's for a person called Rip Kelley.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DStecks posted:

I knew of a similar thing at my grade school, but it was a pair of sisters with colour gimmick names with a dead brother in the middle who didn't fit the gimmick.

On an only slightly related note, I once knew a couple who had a daughter, then 3 babies who didn't survive (2 stillborn, and 1 who was really premature, I think), then a son. The son and the 3 babies who died were all given the same name. By the end, the daughter, who was about 7 at this point, thought that all babies were just inherently called Cody.
Their family plot at the cemetery has the name written once, then 3 dates.

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Jul 10, 2014