Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
The deluxe version is completely sold out everywhere. This is my punishment for not keeping up with anything. Maybe they'll have more when Christmas rolls around? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Is transferring data from a Wii to the WiiU difficult? What exactly will I need to do?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Gamestop had extra black units and allowed me to upgrade my order. Breakfast time while this drat thing updates.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
"You cannot register this received Mii as a user Mii because it is set to not allow copying."

What.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Thanks!

edit: Did anyone else's update fail?

edit 2: Oh thank god, it saved the update progress.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 18, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
What color does the light change to on the Gamepad when it is fully charged?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Netflix app works very well and I love how I can use the Gamepad to change settings on the fly. You can even have the video switch to your Gamepad in case someone else wants to watch something on TV.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Oh my loving god I'm playing a Super Mario game in HD.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pikmin is loving awesome. Whoever said it was bad is bad and dumb. They're bad and dumb.

Wait! Pikmin is OUT?!

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Nabbit is horrifying.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats a nabbit?

It's a demented rabbit that steals items from Toad and then runs into a previous course and you must catch him. I noticed that if you catch him in 20 seconds or less you can post it through the Miiverse but I don't have it set up yet.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Nintendo's Miiverse must be getting seriously bogged down right now.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
If Nintendo doesn't make a 3D Pokemon game with elements from their best Pokemon games like Snap and Stadium then I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with them at this point :psyduck:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
How do I turn the Gamepad screen off if I'm watching a movie on Netflix? I'm worried about screen burn.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

scottus posted:

Press Home button while in the app, press Controller settings on the left, press Display Off on the left

This works but I cannot get back to watching my movie because if I try to exit that menu screen by pressing a button on the controller then it turns back on.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
How am I triggering the original Mario music for when you hit the flag pole?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I commented on some guy who said: "Who else loves that the levels have names now? Looks like they put a lot of thought into each one."

I commented with: "Yoshi's Island had names for their levels and that game has been out since 95!"

Why would that be deleted for spoilers?

Of course they wouldn't even touch the drawing I did where I explicitly state that I am on shrooms.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Boten Anna posted:

Having never played AC I haven't played the first two either, but the third one sounds pretty cool and like I'd enjoy it without playing the first two. I was recommended earlier in the thread to wait until it's not full price before getting it, though.

AC2 is the best one out of all of the AC games and you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing that one. It will fill you in on the events of AC1 if you're hard pressed on game time.

Brotherhood, the sequel to AC2, is also very good. Revelations was kinda meh.

AC3 is :psyduck:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
If the Gamepad can turn itself off while I'm watching regular TV why isn't there an option for when I'm watching Netflix? Probably because the system is on right? They really need to patch an option to turn off the Gamepad when it's not being regularly used.

I know there is the option under settings to turn it off but the settings screen menu won't go away if you're trying to watch Netflix and if you press a button on the Gamepad it comes back on.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Underwhelmed posted:

On a similar note, it would be nice if it were possible to shut off the screen for games in which it is unneeded. While playing NSMBU on my TV for example, I really don't need it to display the exact same image on a handheld that I am not even looking at.

I also agree with this. I want to get as much life out of my Gamepad as possible.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm a little ignorant about HDMI cables but is the one included able to give you the best display possible? Is there much of a difference between HDMI cables?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

BowieFett posted:

So, I'm assuming it's not possible to play a game on the gamepad and have Netflix running on the TV, right?

Also, are there more options for making Miis? Like, new face parts or accessories or anything?

That was one of the first things I tried to do but I couldn't find a way so I assume no.

I don't believe there are new Mii options, looks about the same as the 3DS Mii creator. I was hoping my Mario hat I unlocked would transfer over as well but no.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I really hope there will be a Spotify app in the future.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
It was at least 1GB in size.

Finally started ZombiU. From what I gathered in the first 30 mins of playtime is that the websites who gave this game a low review have no loving idea what they are talking about. This is a very tense game and requires far more thought and planning than I thought was going to be required. It's probably one of the best survival-horror games I've ever played.

If you want to mow down zombos then this is not the game for you.

Oh jesus gently caress, rats can set off the drat radar. This is going to complicate things.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 21, 2012

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Underwhelmed posted:

With the brightness turned down, I can go more than 2 hours before the pad loses its first bar off the battery. It really isn't that bad unless you need the brightness up to 5 for some reason. I haven't had a WiiU marathon yet so I can't say how long the thing will last for sure, but for comparison, before I turned it down I was losing about one bar every 45 minutes or so.

I don;t think this is going to be a game that 3 or 4 years down the road people are going to be going "this game is a must play" but it really is pretty decent. The main complaint seems to be that it is repetitive after awhile. I still like it though and playing it in bursts of about an hour or so at a time feels just about right.

Also, scan the rats, they all indicate that they have loot too, nothing like getting your hopes up...

I believe you can kill rats and crows for meat. I too thought that they held loot so I shot a crow before it flew off and what do you know the shots attracted about 4 zombies to my location. There goes about 8 rounds of precious ammo wasted. Headshots are not always a 1 shot kill in this game.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Stealthed Zombie posted:

My Wii U doesn't want to connect to my WiFi anymore. It's really weird, as the error I get is "No WiFi network detected" when I connect to it after it scans for WiFi networks. Why did this work the first time then? :argh:

Try entering the info in manually.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Steam needs to be on this console. I would love playing Amnesia with the gamepad.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
My WiiU will no longer connect to the Internet. After having to type in the IP and everything it will connect to the router but it is now incapable of connecting to the Internet. What the gently caress happened here?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are you sure it isn't a problem with the router or the internet service? Before we go and blame the WiiU we'll need more information.

Well I am using my laptop to write this post and surf for solutions. Checked my phone and it's connected fine. Desktop is fine. Tablet is fine.

The router is a Cisco VEN401-AT.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

greatn posted:

Did you try turning it off and on again?

I've reset the WiiU, router, cable box (AT&T), entered the MAC address into the router, deleted all previous connection settings, entered everything manually, cycled through different wireless channels. Nothing has worked.

I don't understand, it was fine a few days ago. I haven't used it since then until I wanted to mess around with the TVii and that's when I noticed it wasn't connecting to the Internet except just the router.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

greatn posted:

What about your domain name service? Maybe the Wii's default or local is down and you could change it to google? (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)

If you know what a mac address is, that places you above 95% of people on understanding network settings, so I assume you probably already are using a custom dns though.

I tried Google's and even that didn't work.

I just attempted to use a PIN-code configuration and that also didn't work. I cannot understand why/how this is happening. I'll just try again in a few hours.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
The only way I can connect to the Internet is to leave security open. Obviously I don't want to do that but what could that be a symptom of? Yes, I was typing in the password just fine. I even made a new wireless password in case my old one was too long.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Legdiian posted:

Is your SSID "wireless" ?

Wow. On a hunch I decided to change my SSID to something with no spaces and it went through. What the ever living gently caress? I wouldn't have thought the SSID would make the Wii U go batshit crazy. Thanks to everyone for your help.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Xavier434 posted:

I'm definitely going to try and remember this. I have a feeling that you are not the only person with this issue and someone will eventually ask me personally about it. What a dumb issue.

I just can't figure out what could have possibly changed in the system since the last time I used it with the SSID with multiple spaces. :psyduck: But at least we know this might be what has been causing a lot of problems for some people.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Well my victory was short lived. I can establish a connection to the Internet now but I cannot load the eshop, use the browser, or use the TVii.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Notinghamington posted:

So I just got a Wii U and picked up Super Mario Bro U and ZombiU, what else should I get? I'm into pretty much everything.

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Iacen posted:

It seems like Wii U owners might have dodged a bullet with Aliens: Colonial Marines:

Source

I'm not sure anyone is sad about it.

Apparently the version made for the WiiU was the worst version and was deemed unplayable which is why I'm guessing it's been taken off the roster.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/rumour_aliens_colonial_marines_tester_says_wii_u_version_is_the_worst

quote:

Oh wow. Yes okay. I was hoping someone would ask this. I have played the WiiU version. The one that is supposedly the best of all of them? It is not. It is the worst. It is a bit of a joke. The WiiU is basically the same game as the console version but with framerate issues, worse texture loading, and horrendously misguided minigames thrown in. You get a ‘scanner’ to scan enemies and get bonus points that aid your harming them. When you cut open doors (which happens a lot in the game) you have a game where you have to keep the heat ‘optimal’. They just add frustration, and take away even more from the fun. We don’t know if it will come out, Sega are conisdering canceling it, but right now its still going.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Office Thug posted:

All of a sudden while playing MH3U online, my Wii U loses connection to the router. This has never happened to me before with my normal Wii and it refused to connect to the router, but still detected it just fine so I'm guessing it wasn't the antenna that died.

I followed this guide here (http://kotaku.com/couldnt-they-just-have-avoided-this-issue-entirely-by-a-454556854) and now my Wii U can connect to my router again, but still won't connect to the internet.

Has anyone else had this problem just pop up on them like this? The oddest thing is that everything worked perfectly fine and suddenly bam, no internet, for absolutely no reason.

Pretty sure I had the same problem a few months ago. I think I ended up changing the Wireless name and messing with a bunch of settings with the router because I was able to establish a connection when the signal was open. I have no idea what causes it unless it's an AT&T thing.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Handsome Ralph posted:

If Disney liked money as much as they pretend to, they'd be stupid not to let Nintendo eventually put this on the E-Shop :colbert:

They're already coming out with that updated DuckTales game. I wouldn't be surprised if, when that game sells well (and it will), they start pumping out other remastered titles. I would love to play those terribly difficult platformers all over again (looking at you stampede level from The Lion King)

Unrelated note: I finally got around to performing my Wii Transfer. The Pikmin loading/unloading screen is adorable.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Spacebump posted:

Did either of those systems sell at a loss? I thought the WiiU was the first Nintendo console to do that.

I thought all systems sell at a loss and they recoup those losses with the software/accessories/etc?

• Locked thread