Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sorry for the stupid question but I might be getting a Wii U and I'm excited like a 10 year old. How much real 1080p is the console dishing out so far? I'm hoping all the menus, art, and streaming are nice and crisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Revol posted:

The most shocking thing about Miiverse is that the general population is pretty chill. I would have expected it to be overrun with bozos, but it isn't.
It's really quite surprising. Even the worst people seem to just be stupid/bad at drawing. It's the best online community I've experienced for anything game related. The potential is basically endless. Imagine a game like Dark Souls on the Wii U with the ability to have a full game specific forum to help each other out and discuss the game. I could see it negating the idea of having to grab the laptop/iPad when you're stuck in a game. Of all the "social gaming" trends going on at the moment I think Nintendo's style is almost perfect.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Seeing Steam mentioned here/everywhere is getting beyond old. I don't care about Steam. Sales are cool and all but still, don't care.

How's Ninja Gaiden? I know it's a revamp of a supposedly terrible game but is it still worth it if I want a good gory hack and slash on the Wii U? Honestly if its 60 fps, controls well, and is generally fun then I think it's what I want.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Crowbear posted:

I had no idea what Muscle March was so I looked it up and let me just say :stonk:

What is this? It looks amazing. I need it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The 360 version is technically the best if you have multiple platforms. The colors are slightly more vivid and it has full surround sound if that matters. The PS3 doesn't for some reason. Really is great no matter what you get it on though.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Not a hint of sarcasm. I really think it's absolutely loving incredible.

It really is. They took the Mario formula of platforming and made it their own beautiful tightly controlled game. The difficulty gets a little irritating sometimes but it feels great to complete those levels. Hopefully the sequel is the devs perfecting their game and setting up a series that will be remembered for a long time.

Also good lord I wish steam would get out of all the non steam threads.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 10, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Especially when he ignored the fact that the 360 version technically has a lower resolution than the other versions. It's upscaled nicely and it's a beautiful game, but it seemingly doesn't look quite as sharp as the native 1080p of the PS3 or the PC versions. All of the console versions are great, but complaining that Steam needs to get out while recommending a version of the game with a modest flaw compared to both the system the thread is discussing AND the steam version is ridiculous.

Good point on the resolution actually! About Steam, I'm just irritated about how often it gets brought up lately in the big console threads. There are plenty of pc game threads and a huge steam one for that. I wasn't trying to be ridiculous about it, just putting my feelings out there.

Has anyone played the Rabbids game? I got it from Target for $10 since it seemed like a great price and something to hold me over until we get a proper Mario party game. I haven't played a full game of it yet but it seems alright.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really hope we get Wario games forever. They seem dirt cheap to develop so who knows.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Need for Speed is great, it supports every possible control configuration and lets you remap buttons. You can do gamepad, pro controller, classic controller, remote and nunchuk, steering wheel, and remote sideways without motion control. I like being able to play any way I want.

I've been thinking of buying this for some reason. I really didn't like it on the 360 at all but the upgrades and improvements seem like they're what it needed to really be a great game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

greatn posted:

God drat it. How did Splinter Cell go from most awesome stealth franchise to "Press X buttan to War Crime".

How did they not understand how much everyone loving hated Conviction and the stupid "moral choices" (kill good guy or kill bad guy? Hrmmmmm) system in Double Agent.

Tons of people liked Conviction and it sold really well so yeah. I thought the old games were good fun but I like the new direction. It's something different.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This thread is great when it's not repeating the same nontendonooooooo over and over. Someone say nice things about City Undercover.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Never played Earthbound but I've been curious about it forever. I feel lucky being able to go in blind in a good non-ROM version.

Pretty much every announcement is something I'm looking forward too. Nintendo is slow about everything but they consistent make me happy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lego CU is so great. It's ridiculous how much detail they put into it. There really isn't much filler to the open world at all. You're always finding things and the missions are fast and action packed. This + MH3U brought me back to really appreciating the Wii U. The library is weak but the exclusives we have so far are really fun and not much like what you get on other consoles.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gamers are so loving dumb and self hating. Yeah let's pray for the industry to crash. Great plan. gently caress all those devs and their families! Anarchy!

Realistically the industry is transitioning to the next generation while dealing with new platforms (mobile and the resurgence of pc gaming) and new ways to get people involved in their ecosystems. Nothing is crashing, it's evolving. Every company is going to struggle a bit and it's nothing new or shocking. The gaming industry is absolutely huge and down periods are always going to happen. I guarantee you that a year or two from now it will be booming just like a few years after the current consoles came out. Even Nintendo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TheQat posted:

Random question about LCU: when do the x2/x4/etc. stud multipliers actually take effect? Only in Free Play?

You have to purchase them at the police station and then turn them on in the extras menu. I think once you do that then they're always on until you shut it off.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

plainswalker75 posted:

They reset when you quit, so you have to reactivate them every time you start the game.

I didn't even know that, thanks for pointing it out! I can't afford to miss out on millions of studs. Seriously it's really addicting having so many around everywhere. Mission time? Okay time to get distracted punching apart everything and going on score runs weeeee.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So how is Injustice for the Wii U? I'm curiously to hear first hand reports of it, even better if you've played multiple versions. I could totally get into a fun single player fighting game on the Wii U.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just realized how excited I am for NES/SNES VC games. I'm at the point in my life where I really want to replay/play all the games from my childhood and I've never cared for emulators. Hopefully we get quite a few.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Long John Power posted:

From Nintendo's Facebook page, the VC launch lineup:

That's some silly poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think there's a rumor that it will get it, but I'm not sure. I've been thinking of picking it up too after really loving the iOS version.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Artix posted:

...Or we could have not wanted to pirate the games? I don't know about you, but I've spent 8 bucks on way stupider poo poo than some of my favorite games when I was growing up.

You beat me to it. Spending a small amount of cash for a new official release of a classic game can't really be topped. It's infinitely better than using homebrew/emulators. I'm surprised to see so many complaints but eh, that's the Internet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm thinking about getting that sonic racing game soon. Is the Wii U version the best one from a technical standpoint? Graphics, framerate, resolution, so on. It seems like a perfect buy for $30 now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bobnumerotres posted:

PC version is so much better if you have the rig for it. WiiU version has like a 20-25 framerate going for it (and to think it's slower on other consoles jeeze), and the PC version has TF2 characters and other cool exclusive poo poo.

I don't care for pc gaming so it sounds like my best bet. The framerate didn't bother me in the demo so is that the worst it gets?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Ah, sorry, I meant "this" going into "this":

I should note that plugging the cable directly into the gamepad = no "wobble." It's just this port that seems to be a bit loose.

Mine has done that since I got it. I think it's completely normal. The port just moves around.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: don't listen to me I'm a dirty liar!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 30, 2013

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

For some reason this game causes me more confusion and mixups than anything else. Bad at legos :unsmith:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Maybe they're preparing for a miiverse update with the ability to record gameplay/commentary. Probably not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gutcruncher posted:

What ever happened to just ya know, playing a game?

Egos.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pixeltendo posted:

Mario kart vs. Sonic racing????

This right here is how you can sell a console.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Policenaut posted:

That Star Tropics U rumor from a few weeks back sounded pretty interesting.

This is still the absolute best surprise I can imagine. I have so many good memories of playing that with my mom when I was a kid. Give me that sweet satisfying nostalgia Nintendo :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The video is going to be public.

Every game publication is going to cover it.

Any trailer Nintendo releases will be immediately on YouTube for everyone to watch, which is where the majority of people who do not watch the Nintendo Direct will see it.

People are being completely silly about this. Should Nintendo launch a major scale promotional campaign after the E3 announcement so everyone watching TV knows about the games? Unquestionably and any reservations would be a mistake. But how they are handling E3 is fine. People keep acting like if you read IGN you won't know anything what is going with Nintendo at E3. It's ridiculous.

Exactly. I swear some people forget what year it is. It's 2013, every single person with any interest in technology and gaming has a smart phone and would have to avoid the Internet on purpose to miss this stuff. I'm sure it will be on every tech/gaming site, definitely on twitter, all over tumblr, probably on their Facebook feed. Social media can be poo poo but it's fantastic for fast free marketing and information.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is the Wii U version of Revelations a good buy and better than the other versions? I'd like something new for the console and I don't mind rebuying the game since I didn't play far into my 3DS copy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

XC is going to be the Earthbound of future consoles.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TaurusOxford posted:

Why can't they wake up and realize that almost no gamers outside of Japan actually get together on a couch and play videogames?

That's just flat out not true.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As a shut in with a rad girlfriend I'd much rather have tons of fun couch coop than multiplayer. The only Nintendo game I hope has it is SSB and I really doubt it won't. I don't see the point with Mario and such but if people want it then hopefully they get it eventually.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Prorat posted:

Maybe goons are the wrong audience for Nintendo games? Maybe Nintendo expects for couch co-op that kids have friends from school/clubs to play with and expects adults to have girlfriends/wives and/or their own kids for couch co-op.

If you have to say "I don't have local friends" than unless your location is temporary for a job or whatever than maybe you should make some friends or get a girlfriend.

If you can't call up a friend to play some video games and hang out than maybe you should focus on having that a thing in your life. You can/should healthily have your alone time with online games AND couch co-op games.

And non couch co-op does ruin some videogames, Burnout Paradise is one of them. A racing game AND a Burnout game without couch co-op? Go gently caress yourself 60 dollar game.

I agree with you 100% on this entirely but Paradise is a fantastic couch game for passing the controller.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How long does it take to beat Earthbound?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Not playing Pikmin 3 as soon as you possibly can is the real mistake you're risking here.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How long has it taken you guys to download full games from the eshop? Still deciding on if I should go digital or grab it tomorrow morning.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a Pikmin 3 thread anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Box of Bunnies posted:

Wonder Red in Smash

Nailed it. If that's not what it is then I'm going to be massively let down.

• Locked thread