Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just want a Wii U Pokemon Snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Pikmin is loving awesome. Whoever said it was bad is bad and dumb. They're bad and dumb.

Don't mess with me like this man, I'm waiting to get a Wii U until Pikmin 3 comes out and you just made me freak out a little.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm actually about to start playing Xenoblade as well. Is it a new story or will I be missing information if I didn't play other Xeno games?

Any relation to other Xeno games is only thematic I believe. It's a completely standalone game with its own unique setting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Pokemon Snap announcement would get me to run out of the house RIGHT NOW to pick up a U.

Same here. That first game was so much fun when I was 10, and I can only imagine what it would be like on the Wii U.

And I don't even like Pokemon any more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What are you doing don't wake up that bulborb if you're not going to kill it. Oh my god stop don't just throw your guys into that crab thing's mouth! Ahh they're floating away! No no no flank the bulbear he's gonna eat everyone why are you standing still right in front of a blowhog run you fool.

I want this game now. It looks gorgeous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Iacen posted:

This looks very pretty, but I have no idea what's going on. It probably doesn't help I've never played a Pikmin game.

Can anyone give a quick heads up? Is it still time restricted? I think I saw something about the first Pikmin being time limited, which didn't really sound appealing to me.

Both Pikmin games were time restricted in the sense that each day you had a set amount of time to get things done before you needed to get back to the ship. In the first game though, you only had 30 of these days to finish the game. This was more than enough time to do everything, but it still can feel stressful. The second game removed the time limit to finish the game, letting you take as many days to explore as you wanted. It also added underground dungeon areas where time doesn't pass, which really become the main meat of the game. The restriction that makes them a bit more difficult is that you can't return to the ship to switch out or get more Pikmin, so you have to keep the team you went in with alive.

Gameplay wise you're mainly doing two things - fighting enemies and collecting treasure. The treasure collecting is the main goal - in the first game you were trying to repair Olimar's ship and in the second game you were trying to collect various pieces of junk to make money for Olimar's company. It takes a certain number of Pikmin to carry any given object and they're completely defenseless while doing so, which means you need to plan ahead and protect them. So most of the gameplay is exploring to find treasure, killing enemies along the path between said treasure and your ship, and then getting the treasure back to the ship without getting your Pikmin killed. Different Pikmin also have different powers or abilities that you need to do particular tasks (the most obvious one displayed in that video is that Blue Pikmin can walk in water without drowning).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Goldwarf posted:

I just found it while GISing pictures of the character and wanted to share my pain.

Aren't you banned from posting in this thread?

Oh wait no, that was the 3DS thread. Well I'm guessing this will add another one!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm really excited about the Wonderful 101. That trailer made it look really fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm seriously having to resist the urge to run out and buy a Wii U right now, despite the fact that I know that the games I want won't start coming out until March at the earliest.

Any idea if they'll be coming out with other console/game bundles as more games get released?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Uh... yes you did?

I think japtor means that there were all sorts of creative tricks you could use to avoid having to play the song so often. Such as sailing perpendicular to the wind or tacking to sail short distances completely against it. It added a lot of depth to the game when I realized you could do that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Edit:

Right now Im playing Xenoblade. (HAPPY LOUISGOD?) Can I get an idea of how far into it I am? Im about to get into the Prison Island

Somewhere around halfway, possibly a little less.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No don't buy a Wii at this point. The Wii U can play all the old Wii games, and uses the same controllers for its games in addition to the new Wii U gamepad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just FYI Pandora's Tower was given the release date of March 26th.

Literally next to last Wii game ever and it's a big RPG. It might have a limited release because the Wii isn't getting anything after April. It's also going to probably be 100 dollars 6 months from now just like Xenoblade. It's better than really anything that's on the Wii-U currently in terms of RPGs. Other than Monster Hunter, the Wii U isn't getting any RPGs for a good long while.

The NTSC version does not have a special edition. They're just releasing the regular game at the 40 dollar price point.

Oh yeah I was going to ask about this. I plan on getting it to fill out the Operation Rainfall collection, but I hadn't really heard anything about it unlike the other two. Is it as good as The Last Story? (Obviously I can't expect it to be as good as Xenoblade).

Additionally, what is the last Wii game ever if this is next to last?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Someone wanted to know about Pandora's Tower so let me talk about it a bit.

That was me and thanks for this! I went ahead and preordered it yesterday, but your description makes me even more interested in it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I preordered it from Amazon, so no.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

• Black and white Link's Awakening

Why do you want this?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Everyone who likes Zelda should play Pandora's Tower. It's basically just the dungeon parts of it but they're all really good. And the boss fights are incredible, much harder and more intense than any of Zelda's offerings recently.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Just a heads up to any goons who might think about buying Pandora's Tower for their Wii U to pass the time - don't do it. The game shipped with a HUGE loving bug that locks up your system near the end of the game if you try and enter a dungeon. There's workarounds for it apparently which involve stuff like having to trigger cut-scenes or ejecting the disc at a certain time and putting it back in to make it not freeze up (it must be a very precise time, cause I tried and it still froze). However, I would rather play a game where I don't have to jump through hoops just to play my game. How it slipped by their QA team I'll never know but apparently the only ones who can patch it is the dev's and they don't know when that will happen.

I plan on seeing if I can return my copy, as in my eyes, it is quite literally a broken product.

This is a huge exaggeration. The bug is really easy to avoid and it doesn't make you lose progress or risk corrupting anything. At worst it's a minor inconvenience that's easily gotten around if you do encounter it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

By all means. Tell me how. It has crashed my system 5 times now even following the workarounds posted on their website.

Everything I read and my own experience indicates that just triggering a cutscene with Elena should reliably fix it. But if you've tried that already and it didn't work, then I guess your anger is justified. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Ducktales HD is shaping up to be awful, peep these endless cutscenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pkk7JXS24w

Uh what. That looks pretty good and I'm actually interested in the game now. I had no idea they'd gotten the voice actors from the cartoons. That's awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I also had no idea that the show went off the air the year I was born and my childhood was spent watching consecutively aired reruns.

Or that the guy who did Scrooge's voice was 93 and still alive. It's seriously so cool he was willing to come back to do this game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, you guys think that forest scene looks good, and not just a garish mess of colors? It looks awful. Its a shame because the transylvania scenes look so nice, but the Amazon is such a mess its hard to tell whether the enemies are in the background or in the scene with you.

And its so goddamn unnecessary to go "Whoa, this coin? An Eagle?" stopping the action every time you walk over something.

To me "garish mess of colors" means things that clash or hurt your eyes. The amazon is mostly greens in the background, with some purple and blue flowers and then browns and visible, light colored platforms in the foreground that the different colored enemies are clearly on.

So I don't even know what you're talking about.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As long as you make 100% your baseline acceptable goal, Epic Yarn is plenty challenging. It just requires a bit of self imposition.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

I didn't watch E3, can anyone give a summary of what, if anything, was said about Pikmin 3?

It's coming out in August (or July in Europe) and it's gonna be sick as hell and everyone should play it.

Or I guess watch these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIIPkyWaiu0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD5aFGxps-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndMjKHxAfz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gwOhM2M30o

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah and really, they've had your goal be pretty significantly different in each game. The first one was about collecting a very small and specific set of things to build Olimar's ship, and the second one expanded it into a vast array of junk collecting for cash. We've seen in the third game that the fruit actually gets converted into juice, which probably serves some gameplay purpose. I'm sure there will be plenty of room for the series' characteristic charm and creativity.

I just hope they bring back the Piklopedia.

Cannot Find Server posted:

This could also be applied to Pikmin 1 and 2. I've been really frustrated that Nintendo hasn't given this series enough love, did Pikmin 2 just sell poorly or what? Those are still two of my favorite games I've ever played, and it is really drat tempting to buy a Wii U just for Pikmin 3.

Yeah I totally agree. I'm actually buying a Wii U for Pikmin 3's release, and if it was the only game I wanted on the system I'd still be sorely tempted. Even if you've never played a Pikmin game before I think everyone should give 3 a shot and if you still have access to something that plays Gamecube games, hunt down at least Pikmin 2. They're really fantastic and Pikmin 2 is more accessible than the time limited Pikmin 1.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 17, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I totally forgot they made a Wii version of Pikmin 2. Geez then there's no excuse, if you own a Wii U you should play this game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nippon nifties posted:

Whoa whoa what is this consensus that seems to be forming about Pikmin 2 being better than Pikmin 1 ?? Pikmin 2 is a fun little romp but Pikmin 1 is just an all-around better experience, I feel. The overbearing sense of isolation, time management and the sense of a job well done when the last planned piece for the day is delivered just before sundown, the overall feel of how important each piece was to aquire... Pikmin 2 was just too forgiving and lax, especially the dungeons that stopped time as well. Plus the overabundance of treasures meant coming across one didn't have the same punch as the ship parts.

They're just differently motivated games. Pikmin 1 is an adventure with a sense of urgency yes, but Pikmin 2 is a fun relaxed explorational adventure starring an amateur scientist, his food obsessed co-worker, their greedy corporate executive boss, and a dumb robot. Pikmin 2 is also so much meatier.

As for why I only recommend 2, Pikmin 1 turns a lot of people off with it's 30 day limit. Admittedly, the limit isn't actually that constricting, but I think the game just works better when you can do whatever you want at your own pace.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's finally almost time

Would people be against a Pikmin thread?

Yes make a Pikmin thread, I want to talk about Pikmin.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Syfe posted:

Is the general consensus to still just wait on a Wii U? I got a bit of extra padding this month (just enough for a Wii U and some games) and I'm considering picking one up (the Deluxe model is $299 at Radio Shack here in Canada). Basically, I want to get one regardless but I'd rather have a Wii U on hand BEFORE the megaton of games comes out (Mario World 3D/Donkey Kong/Mario Kart 8/Smash) is it a good idea to pick one up now?

We're coming up on the best time to buy one I think. I'm getting one at the start of August for the release of Pikmin 3 and by the end of year I should have a decent collection to keep me satisfied.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

As an RPG I would guess the standard 60 hours. Then again I've never played it.

60 hours is what I consider to be a very very long RPG. Earthbound is nowhere near that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nothing could ever compel me to grind for something in a game with that low of a chance of dropping.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't really understand this argument. Different platformers have different control styles that work well for their type of game. You couldn't shove VVVVVV's controls into a Mario game or vice versa. And that's fine. It's absurd to say that one controls better than the other when they're not really comparable in terms of gameplay. Comparing different Mario games would be more appropriate.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I bought a Wii U today! It's currently updating, and then I have to do the system transfer but what should be my inaugural eShop purchase?

So far I've only got Nintendoland because I'm waiting on Mario until my brother is around to play it with me and Pikmin doesn't come out for a few more days.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not actually a fan of Earthbound or it definitely would be my first buy. I might get it at some point anyway just to support the idea.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

njsykora posted:

Earthbound.

I don't like it okay!!! It was worth experiencing once but I don't need to play it again.

Oh gosh there are little messages from people popping up everywhere and drawings and :3:

Also I don't actually seem to have an SD card in either the Wii U or my Wii so I guess I have to scrounge one up before I can transfer...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They have Kirby's Dream Land 3 on here! And 2 just came out on the 3DS eShop today too. Sweet, guess I've made my purchase decisions.

Everything's so pretty, and I just talked face to face with a friend using Wii Chat, a feature I didn't even know existed!

The future is neat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Watching the little Pikmin take my data on this wonderful journey is so inspirational.

Go little guys, go. Get in that rocket.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Between the 3DS, Wii U, and PC I currently have more games than I have time for and the Wii U games I want haven't even come out yet. So yeah the system definitely suits my habits.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A few hours in and Pikmin 3 has already justified the Wii U purchase. This game is awesome.

And yeah the gamepad is absolutely vital for mutiple captain control, even when not using it as your primary control method. It's kinda neat playing with the wiimote with the gamepad in my lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I had no clue what I was doing, and I kept getting hit a bunch, but I beat the Wonderful 101 demo and got a silver and :iia:

It's clearly the kind of game you need to practice a bit to get the feel of.

• Locked thread