Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Another reason why they'd use a new set of Virtual Console emulators would be to get rid of the 40 MB limit of downloadable Wii games. That prevents them from selling the largest Nintendo 64 games (Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc), PC-Engine CD games or a lot of the Neo-Geo library.

On the subject of incompatible controllers, it's ridiculous that the WiiU can't interpret inputs from the GamePad or Pro controller for Wii software. Unlike Gamecube support, which required controllers and memory cards to be physically inserted into the ports, the Wii and WiiU controllers all use bluetooth. At the very least they could get the Pro controller to emulate a Classic controller, so I won't need to keep all these obsolete controllers around.

I don't need to plug in an old Dualshock 2 controller to play PS1/PS2 games on a PS3, I can just use the new wireless controller. I can even create virtual memory cards on the hard drive. Backwards compatibility should be one of Nintendo's biggest selling points, but they put the minimum amount of effort into it every time. Why do the Wii and 3DS have separate Virtual Console catalogues? Why does the button mapping of the Gamecube controller in SNES games match up to the button names (A, B, X, Y) rather than their locations? Why does the European store still have the horrible PAL conversions, when everyone now has a TV that supports NTSC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

Man I really hope they give us an hd Wind Waker. They could even put the tingle tuner on the gamepad. I just hope they wouldn't charge sixty bucks for it.

They will, and that price will never go down.

This is what terrifies me about Nintendo trying digital distribution. Bargain bin games for full price and not a single discount above 5%.

I've seen DS launch games still being sold in shops for £30. Nintendo's prices are so rock solid that I've been hoping for hyperinflation just so I can afford to play them.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

FoneBone posted:

Given current trends in the industry, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think that Wii U and the next Sony/Microsoft consoles will be the last consoles (in the traditional sense) that we see.

Yes, because people can't wait to stop playing together on a couch. We'd all rather be fumbling on a touch screen, or trying to roll back our graphics card drivers.

Do these industry analysts believe that just because mobile games are making a lot of money, they're replacing the time we spend playing games at home? Really, they're allowing us to play in between everything we do.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There's a lot Nintendo could do to improve their backwards compatibility, but it seems that right now they are just trying to get it up and running as quickly as possible.

Since the PS3 is still running the OS while it's playing PSOne and PS2 games, it allows them to take advantage of the new hardware. You can use the new wireless controllers, you can create virtual memory cards on your hard drive, you can view the games' original manuals and you can even play the same PSOne game on both your home console and your portable system.

There is no reason why Nintendo couldn't do the same for either their virtual console or Wii backwards compatibility. It's ridiculous that the Gamecube controller, Classic controller, Pro controller and GamePad all have nearly identical control layouts, but aren't cross-compatible. I can understand Nintendo removing Gamecube ports, but they could have made built-in Wavebird receivers so you can still use the controller for games that support it.

I'm not looking forward to trying to remember which of my virtual console games support the Pro controller, and which will require me to go out and buy a classic controller pro now that my Gamecube controller is obsolete.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Toady posted:

To me, the Wii U has an air of sadness about it because it feels like the last or near-last major console from Nintendo before becoming a software developer. They're an underdog among a group of large, established competitors, trying to compete in the typical multiplatform market that Sony and Microsoft dominate as well as the casual mobile market that Apple dominates. Nintendo's too small and incompetent to pull this off.

If Nintendo became a third-party developer, what would their games be like? They'd no longer need to build them around their latest controller, or work with outdated hardware. Maybe they could make a Zelda game that brought as much to the table as A Link to the Past, rather than just using the same formula as A Link to the Past but with annoying touch screen/motion controls.

If they wanted a new Metroid Prime game, more powerful hardware would allow them to free themselves from the rooms connected with corridors design, and have a properly seamless world, with a greater focus on verticality. F-Zero was already in terrific hands with Sega, so the most likely reason they're not making a new one is because they don't think it would appeal to most WiiU owners.

Thankfully, Nintendo know what the gently caress they're doing when it comes to Kirby.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I just bought the 32GB Wii U from HMV for £200. What exclusive games would you recommend? I've already got Nintendoland and ZombiU, but the only thing I've seen that interests me is New Super Mario Bros. U.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One of the things about Minecraft that I didn't like was how you needed a wiki for anything more advanced than hitting animals and placing blocks. Even so, that game is massively popular with casual gamers and hardcore gamers alike. I guess it doesn't frontload itself with information and tutorials, when you're still figuring out how to cut trees and make a house, and you can look up how to do the more advanced things yourself. All this information should be provided within the game itself, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

pixaal posted:

PS3 apparently supports background downloading but I've never gotten it to work while playing a game. My guess for why this is, is that the game I'm playing uses so much RAM the PS3 cannot run the downloader (or the game declares it needs 100% of the RAM leaving none for the downloader.

I think the PS3 only pauses downloads if the game can be played online, so it doesn't make the multiplayer mode unplayable.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I basically do the "Gaming computer and a Nintendo" set up and I love it. I don't really give a poo poo about generic cost-reduced FPS from EA and other miserable companies. I'll pick up whats good from steam or something else on my computer.

I buy nintendo consoles for the nintendo games and everything else is secondary.

I've been Nintendo cold turkey for several years now, so just getting a Wii U and 3DS recently and playing catch up with all of their games has been amazing.

However, I don't think I can go back to only having a Nintendo console. There are so many good games you miss out on due to Nintendo's poor developer relations and underpowered/weird hardware design. I can live without one for 9/10th of the year, but when a new Luigi's Mansion comes out then I need it as soon as possible.

^^^ English release of Doubutsu no Mori e+ (Animal Crossing Final Mix basically), F-ZERO ZX, and Paper Mario: The Legend of the Seven Stars.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 29, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spectracide posted:

I'm having a great time playing NFSMW,

I read this as NSMBW, which is New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Speaking of, I had a great time with NSMB U when I played through the whole thing with a friend. I've been pretty let down by the New SMB series as a whole, due to bland art design, annoying music and stupid design decisions (no manual saving until you've beaten the game, and in the DS version you couldn't visit two of the worlds without beating two other castles as Mini Mario), but this game felt like a proper successor to the original games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Some of Nintendo's best games have been achieved by outsourcing, including Metroid Prime, F-ZERO GX, and Super Mario RPG, and more recently Punch-Out, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and the Mario & Luigi series.

If their internal studios can't produce enough titles, then they could contract small developers to revive old franchises like the Ice Climbers, Balloon Fight or Excitebike.

VVV Yeah, those two were developed my Monster Games. My favourite aspect of Excitebike was designing crazy difficult courses, which wasn't really carried over to those two games.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

You forgot the Zelda Oracle games. :colbert:

Plus the Minish Cap was developed by Capcom as well.

By the way, NSMBU pros use the wiimote and Game Pad at the same time :cool:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I played Pikmin for the first time today, and the whole time limit thing is really stressful. I've heard that it was removed in the second game, but I think it adds a level of strategy in the form of time and resource management. I heard that Luigi's Mansion was going to have a similar time limit, as well as more Rouguelike elements before it was toned down.

I miss Nintendo games that were punishing and difficult, like Metroid Prime 2, Majora's Mask and F-ZERO GX, not to mention countless NES and SNES games. I don't want to go all "blah blah, Zelda should be like Dark Souls", but a good, engaging game shouldn't need to hold my hand, it doesn't feel rewarding for me unless I've overcome a challenge by myself.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, while those games aren't exactly some of the hardest ever made (F-ZERO GX excluded), they had mechanics which made the game more complicated than just keeping your health above zero and reaching the next checkpoint.

Prime 2's dark world was stressful and unnerving, which made it more challenging to explore. You had to be more aware of your surroundings, since the atmosphere was constantly sapping your health, and the dark palette made it difficult to see. Nowadays, focus testing would prevent this from ever making it in to the game, but it works so well in the early Silent Hill games that I don't see why it can't fit a Metroid game.

Majora's Mask isn't technically much harder than Ocarina of Time, but to do more than just beat the dungeons you need to really get to grips with the three-day cycle. You're never in danger of actually getting a game over from the moon falling, since you can turn back time with your ocarina, but it creates an amazingly oppressive atmosphere that Twilight Princess completely failed to live up to.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Double Dash was my favourite Mario Kart, next to DS. Make another one like that, please.

Also, throw in all the characters, items and courses from other series that you can, nobody's complaining that Smash Bros is 'thematically inconsistent'. If I can be Waluigi racing in a mini version of Samus' space ship in a course set in Shadow Moses, then I couldn't be happier.

Also, take out the blue shell.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo has always been crazy. Isn't that why we love them?

This isn't the good kind of crazy, that fuels games like Wario Ware and Super Smash Bros. This is the 'making you buy all your poo poo again because they didn't bother with a proper account system last time' kind of crazy.

It took years for some of Nintendo's best games to come out on the Wii VC, so I'm not looking forward to starting that all over again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

None of this would be necessary if Nintendo just made the GamePad and Controller Pad Pro compatible with Wii games. It's ridiculous, because I don't need to buy an original Xbox controller to play a backwards compatible game on the 360, or an original Dualshock and memory card to do the same on the PS3. These systems are able to use their new wireless controllers and internal hard drives in exactly the same way an emulator would.

Nintendo could easily map the GamePad and Pro to mimick a Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller, but they went for the quickest and easiest solution. They could have even had four internal Wavebird receivers, but they'd prefer it if you bought new controllers instead.

You can complain about the accuracy of backwards compatibility on the other two consoles, but only a single controller is needed for nearly their entire library of games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm pretty sure if you were to run the numbers on what percentage of users would make use of four internal Wavebird receivers, your spreadsheet wouldn't tell you "YES THIS IS A GOOD INVESTMENT IN THE HARDWARE".

EDIT: This is also the reason they're not bothering to make a legacy supercontroller that can plug into every out-of-production console they've ever made.

The Wavebird receivers was just an idea for how it could remain compatible with GC controllers without needing to include controller ports. A better idea would be so sell official USB adaptors. The main reason why I want this is because the GC is still a perfectly good controller, and the proper way to play Super Smash Bros.

Also, I'm not suggesting they make a controller that works on all Nintendo consoles, I want their current controller to work with everything playable on the Wii U. This was bad even back on the Wii, where it was completely arbitrary whether a game would be compatible with either the GC controller, Classic controller, or both.

The GamePad and Pro controller should be compatible with every non-Wiimote based game. I should not have to buy a controller that has a Wii remote dangling from it just because Nintendo can't be bothered to allow their backwards compatibility mode to interpret button presses from a different device.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't really mind about the Wii U's sales or release schedule, because the only reason I have it is to play Nintendo games. It's not something I'd like to have as my primary console, because despite being pretty hardcore into Nintendo when the Wii came out, I ended up buying all five PlayStation consoles to fill the time.

As long as I get to play The Wind Waker HD, then I'm happy with it. Unless it gets delayed in Europe, in which case gently caress it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You bought a PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita? :confused:

Yep, in that order.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So paying over 300 dollars to play a HD port of a GameCube game justifies the purchase...?

Come on man, reading your post out loud is kinda telling how Nintendo is doing.

Okay, it was kind of hyperbole saying that I bought it for one game. I'm sure Nintendo are going to release some games I'm interested in, plus they've been funding some Platinum Games projects.

There's nothing wrong with being excited for a shiny new Wind Waker though :colbert:

njsykora posted:

There are Wii U codes there as well, pretty much all cheaper than the eShop prices and some cheaper than the in-store physical prices as well.

Oh, neat. I love getting games digitally, just not for £50.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 19, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

njsykora posted:

I have shitloads of games on my Vita, but PS+ will do that.

Plus, some of the PS3 games I bought came with a free Vita version. It's usually Sony's games and indie titles, but it would be cool to see games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate do the same.

It still kinda sucks that the Virtual Console doesn't have one store for both the Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo's still dipping its toes into the hot bath of online and downloadable content, if they'd just get in already they'd realise that they could be releasing small, experimental games to fill the release schedule rather than re-releasing their entire catalogue in real time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Alex WS posted:

I wish people would stop using that word. It's confusing as it doesn't really mean anything, and makes people uncertain if you mean upscaling or re-rendering at a higher resolution. I'm guessing the N64 games that supported 480 vertical lines of resolution were rendered in that resolution (or switchable, as the case was in some games: Episode 1 Racer, Duke Nukem Zero Hour), and the ones at 240 were upscaled to 480. On the Wii U I'm almost certain the same will be the case, except they will be further upscaled to whatever resolution you have set your console to. Just like in Wii mode in other words. I'm however certain that they will not re-render them at a higher resolution than what the game originally supported.

Actually, N64 games on the virtual console were rendered at 640x480, even though most games were 320x240. It's much easier to emulate a simple 3D system like the N64 using high level emulation, where it interprets commands like "draw a polygon" for the graphics card to render. Low level emulation would be replicating every pixel, which is more accurate but also a lot slower, and cannot be used at a higher resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZAvdeS-5s

The video on the right is a tool-assisted speed run, but it's being done on a Wii. You can see things like the fence in the opening is a lot more distinct on the Wii version.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Even if they were just gonna slap it on a ROM, they'd still have to fix the massive slowdown that occurs after character naming.

That was fixed in version 1.1. It's pretty much indistinguishable from an official release now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

elf help book posted:

The original WarioWare doesn't use any funny controls and is a great game.

It's still my favourite in the series. Of the three Rhythm Heaven games, only the DS one uses anything besides the d-pad and buttons, and it much worse for it.

A console with a weird control scheme isn't inherently more innovative, there's plenty of new genres and gameplay elements that haven't been explored yet. The sword combat in the Devil May Cry games uses a very similar control scheme to the N64/GC Zelda games, but it takes it much further with the use of timing-based combos, the style gauge and the devil trigger mechanic. It doesn't try to feel like swinging an actual sword, which in SS had reduced the combat to 'swing at whichever direction isn't being blocked'.

There is a certain amount of innovation that can be achieved through the controller, such as the analogue stick allowing for more precise 3D movement, but when you're forced to use the touch screen/motion controls for something that could have been done more easily with the buttons, then there's no reason for it to be there.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't want to bring the thread down with complaints about VC lineup/sales/release schedule, so I'd like to talk about the Nintendo games I'd want to see re-released or given a sequel on the Wii U.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

The Thousand Year Door is everything a sequel should be and more. It greatly improved the battle system by making your partners almost as useful as Mario himself, giving them access to more actions and their own health bar. The stage now features an audience, whose enthusiasm will grant you access to your powerful star abilities. Rather than replenishing at a fixed rate like in the first game, it's possible to do tricks whilst attacking to appeal to the crowd. Although not the only way the stage affects the battle, in the fight against the dragon Hooktail, she will jump into the during the battle and devour half the audience to recover her health.

The game features a more unique and interesting world compared to the Mushroom Kingdom in the first game, which involves you taking on the name of The Great Gonzales to battle your way to the champion, solving a mystery on a train, and recovering your name and body from a ghost named Doopliss, who can only be defeated by speaking his name (he's hidden the letter P from your text entry screen). Between chapters, Princess Peach tries to escape from a enemies' moon base while receiving help from a love-struck computer, and Bowser gets his own 2D platformer called Super Bowser Bros.

It's one of the few RPGs that require both strategy and skill, due to the timed hits required to deal the most damage possible. As well as being able reduce the damage from attacks, you now have the ability to both completely negate them and deal back damage in the process by using the B button at the exact moment an enemy lands an attack. There's even a 100 level dungeon, featuring at the lower levels some of the most difficult enemies in the game, as well as a boss that gives the final one a run for its money. This is a system that worked so well that it deserves a proper sequel, although the more recent entries deviate from it somewhat.

Super Mario Sunshine

Taking a very different approach to Super Mario 64 and the Galaxy games, this is one of the most divisive entries in the series. Taking place on the tropical resort of Isle Delphino, the game centres around using the FLUDD water pump to assist Mario's platforming, to fight enemies, and to clean up the sludge that's polluting the island. To this day it remains an absolutely beautiful game, with the scorching heat apparent through the heat haze, the water glistening with sunlight, and the draw distance being exceptional. From inside a level, it is possible to recognise the other levels within view.

Although the FLUDD changes up the platforming entirely, the game features many challenging bonus stages more reminiscent of the other 3D Mario games. It's not as willing to ease off the pressure like the more recent games, so it can be quite a challenge in some levels. It is let down by the fact that there are only seven proper stages, compared to Mario 64's 15, and you must get most of the shine sprites in each stage in order to finish the game, rather than giving you a fixed amount and letting you choose which to collect. Over a sixth of the shines are collected by trading in blue coins scattered around the levels, 240 in all, but there is no way to track which ones you have already, or which stages still have coins to collect. There is also no prize for getting all 120, besides a different image after the credits. At least you can dress Mario in a Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses.

I'd like to write about Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, but these series are still getting sequels, so are not unique to the Gamecube. I'll also write about F-ZERO GX, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven, Kirby: Return to Dreamland and Pikmin later.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not sure if Nintendo ever confirmed Gamecube games for VC. Based on Wind Waker, I would assume that we'll only see GC titles in the form of HD remakes.

Homebrewers have found that the Wii U still has the hardware for playing Gamecube games, and have even booted up some titles. The lack of controller ports means that they can't be played at the moment, but it does mean that Nintendo could release digital copies that use the new Wii U controllers.

But they won't, will they?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Not directly Wii U related but SM3DL selling a couple million more copies than NSMB2 warms the cockles of my black, dead heart. I hope the Wii U 3D Mario game is amazing and outsells NSMBU :unsmith:

There's something really off-putting about the art styles used in Nintendo's more recent 2D games. Besides Kirby, of course.

Check out the new Yoshi's Island on the 3DS, compared to the SNES one. On the other hand, at least Yarn Yoshi looks great.

I'm also not fond of the artwork in the New Super Mario Bros. games, but the Wii U version is a huge improvement.

They should be experimenting with new art styles, rather than going for the pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country look. Yoshi's Island was drawn in crayon, Kirby's Dreamland 3 was drawn with coloured pencils, Super Mario Bros. 3 looked like it was a stage play, and Yoshi's Story had a new aesthetic for each level.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

With the Wii release schedule being dead for the past few years, besides a couple of localised JRPGs, you'd think they'd have more Wii U games nearing completion.

I don't understand why Mario Kart wasn't a launch game, since MKWii came out years ago, and 7 was outsourced to Retro Studios. If you can get 5 people playing the same game, with someone getting a screen of their own, then the benefits of the Wii U become clear to anyone playing it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Did they fix full color range support over hdmi with this latest update?

I hope they get around to this, since this makes the Wii U look really washed out on computer monitors.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

While I like being able to use any laptop hard drive in my PS3, especially since all the digital games I own take up about 600GB of space, it would be good to be able to install games to devices other than the internal hard drive. This is probably due to it being the way the PS3 was designed back before digital distribution took off, but Nintendo's approach of letting you use USB drives is better in some ways.

By the way, is every Wii U game being sold digitally? I prefer to buy my games that way since they won't get lost or damaged, and it's possible to share my PS3 games with a friend.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In the UK at least, the cheapest model of the PS3 is the 12GB* one for £140, and Amazon recently started selling the Wii U Basic for £150. It's also been rumoured that a very cheap model of the 360 is being released alongside the new Xbox, so I don't know how well the Wii U could compete with just a price drop. I agree with the sentiment that NintendoLand should have been included with all models of the Wii U, but without a proper killer app, it's going to be hard to build up momentum.

*Actually it has a 16GB built-in flash memory, but they don't advertise the data that gets allocated to the system.

E: Meant Amazon, not ASDA

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 3, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think you mean Earthbound.

It's a Wii U exclusive in Europe, at least :downs:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

Still, Prime is a wonderful game and I will gladly e-fight anyone who disagrees :colbert:

I'm pretty sure the only person who does is Sakamoto.

One game that had absolutely superb loading times was Mario Kart: Double Dash!! on the Gamecube. There was less than a second between choosing a track and it being on-screen with the countdown starting. You'd normally only expect that speed from a cartridge.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The PS3 is an example of how it's possible to recover from a disastrous launch. Back in 2006/7, there were very few exclusives, poor documentation and development kits resulted in shoddy ports, the online selection was barren, and the online service was a joke. Right now they're being as helpful as possible to every indie developer they find, retail games are available day one as digital downloads, and PS+ is offering tremendous value, with games less than six months old being given away.

I agree that Nintendo's American and European divisions should be given more autonomy. The NES was almost an entirely different console from its Japanese counterpart, not in terms of the internal hardware, but more how it was designed and marketed. I'm not sure how popular it would have been had it stuck with the flimsy, colourful Famicom design, with its two non-detachable controllers.

They only need to look at Metroid Prime against Other M to see that the right western developer can do an excellent job with an established series. There are very western-centric series such as F-ZERO, Metroid, and Star Fox that have been almost completely absent for the DS and Wii, and would be an excellent showcase for the Wii U's more powerful hardware.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

flyboi posted:

Now tell me: why should these corporations give even one iota of care about the half-brained crazy demands and ideas of people in here.

Relying on casual fans coming back is what got them into this fine mess in the first place. Unlike Apple, they can't sell hardware on reputation alone, and they need actual software to make it worthwhile.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Samara posted:

Sega eventually stopped producing hardware, it's not out of the realm of possibility for that to happen to Nintendo.

I can't imagine Nintendo stopping their handhelds, since they've carried the company through difficult times, such as the Gamecube, and now the Wii U.

I would like to see them make some proper HD games from Nintendo, since they haven't really made anything that pushed the graphical barrier past the Gamecube launch title, Luigi's Mansion. Everything from 2001 to 2012 has been at the same resolution and level of detail, and while they are able to make some fantastic looking games like Super Mario Galaxy and Kirby: Return to Dreamland, they look so much better in Dolphin at 720p and above.

Pikmin is a great candidate for an HD entry, since it's a combination of cartoony characters and photo-realistic natural environments.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Toady posted:

I disagree that costs will skyrocket. Licensed technology offloads much of the burden, and so much time is spent on optimization and corner-cutting that it will be freeing to have breathing room.

Yeah, middleware and sensible architecture make it cheaper and easier for developers to make games. However, to get the most out of the system requires a lot of investment in custom engines, asset creation and programmers.

Xenoblade Chronicles wouldn't necessarily be a lot more expensive on more powerful consoles, if it used the same assets. It just wouldn't require the same amount of optimisation to get it running at a stable frame rate. Not every game needs to be graphically competitive, and ports of older games sell well enough that they are continually being released.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sony's planning to embrace the Let's Players/Speed Runners by letting them record and upload video directly from the console, without needing a computer or capturing hardware. It was revealed by the people who hacked the GamePad that it's possible that the Wii U could also stream gameplay video to the internet in the same way that it does to the controller screen, but if Nintendo isn't happy with that idea then it's not going to happen.

It's a shame, because although there are many people who do a terrible job, filling their videos with offensive jokes and not cutting out any unnecessary footage, there are still plenty of people who could provide interesting videos if they didn't need to go through the hoops of setting up a capture device and the software. I mean, Nintendo's own games don't provide the type of experience that can be replaced by just watching a video, unlike more cinematic games, so I don't know what they're so uptight about.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

Man I never stopped running in Super Metroid. I'm always amazed to read about people "missing" the function.

I wonder how much of this game I've forgotten over the years :sigh:

Some people got through Resident Evil 4 without knowing how to run either.

There's a patch on Romhacking.net that brings the controls closer to Fusion and Zero Mission, if you don't mind playing it on an emulator. L is used to both aim up and down, R is used to switch between your normal beam and your equipped weapon, and the X-ray visor has its own button. It's also possible to be always running without needing to press a button, but the only downside is that you can no longer moonwalk :slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I love Super Metroid, Fusion and Zero Mission, but for different reasons. Fusion is designed for challenging combat and atmosphere, Zero Mission is designed for speed running and sequence breaking, and Super Metroid is designed for exploration. Samus in Zero Mission feels too twitchy for me, and it feels more like I'm controlling a robot than someone in a suit on an alien planet.

There's actually a sense of momentum in Super Metroid, since Samus doesn't just have two speeds, stop and go. However, there are things that are annoying to go back to, such as the fact that you can't go back into a somersault after you've jumped or fallen off a ledge, and it's necessary to wall jump, space jump and screw attack. It's also annoying to scroll though all your weapons to get to the X-ray visor and grapple beam, and having to hold down the run button from the moment you turn on the game until the moment you finish it, but at least these are addressed in the patch I mentioned before.

• Locked thread