Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Everyone who voted Waluigi instead of Waa is dead wrong and should be shot. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good lord I forgot this was releasing in less than a week. I don't even remember what games I preordered at this point. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Anyway, Giant Bomb plays Nintendo Land, aka "Giant Bomb listens to the kickass Nintendo Land music the whole time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRan7ynJkM

The music is good as heckkk

This poo poo is funky fresh, right here. :toot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wish I was there posting with cool games journos.

Suddenly I find myself saddened that I have all the artistic abilities and sense of two dead sloths. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mennonites Revenge posted:

They are tied to your Username ("Nintendo Network ID").

Nintendo making sensible decisions about online capabilities? :monocle:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is Warriors Orochi 3 any different than the one on the PS3 that I downloaded and played for like ten minutes? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm standing in gamestop right now trying to decide if I want AC3. Halp :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone noticed either stick on their tablet being slightly off-center? I'm trying to play ZombiU but unless I flick the right stick to the left first I start rotating very slowly to the right when I let go of it. I swear I can rotate right faster than I can rotate left, too, but that might just be placebo.

Should I return it? :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

You can hold A,B,-,+ for 3 seconds to zero them, but if its offcenter...yet, maybe.

That's awesome and you're awesome, thanks. Crisis averted!

Now off to play WoW while the system updates. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

I think you not being rigged for wifi is a loving joke. Its 2012.

In a lot of areas and homes, WiFi IS the loving joke. Trust me there's still PLENTY of need for ethernet, and while the USB ethernet thing works it can't have been THAT hard for the U to just have a built in port. :raise:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skunk Ape posted:

Anyone catch the Giant Bomb stream when they were playing AC3 that could comment on the performance/graphical comparison to PS360 if they said anything about that? I skipped it to avoid spoilers.

I'm interested in this too. Almost bought it today, then decided to defer after reading the gloominess in the AC3 thread :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I bought that Nano Assault game on the Wii U eShop or whatever the gently caress it's called, partly because I'd seen people posting about it here and mostly because I wanted to see how the shop worked. Nice that they let you use points or just pay the exact amount, no overage bullshit like with XBox Live.

I've decided that Nano Assault reminds me of Street Fighter 2010 from my glory days as a kid in more ways than one:

- The whole 'exit the level on time after beating the baddies or you lose anyway' thing
- Being really fuckin weird :psyduck:
- Being HARD AS HELL seriously the perspective shifts give me a headache :(

Fun game though. Being fully playable on the tablet is a definite plus.

Speaking of the tablet, is anyone else finding the battery life on that thing to be very short? I get two, maybe three hours before the battery light goes red, and maybe another half hour before I start getting the pad randomly restarting or whatever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Do you have a smartphone? Crank up the brightness and then either run on network data or play a ram eating game and tell me how much consistent hours you get.

If the Wii-U got more than three hours, they would probably be losing hundreds of dollars per console on the batteries alone.

Fair point :v: Makes me think that cradle that came in the deluxe I didn't get might have some minor value though. Oh well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

NINTENDO IN BED.

Not to mention NINTENDO ON THE SHITTER if your home is wifi-amenable. :v:

(edit) Also I just made a bad waluigi time post in the NSMBU miiverse and got like four Yeah!s immediately, I love this miiverse thing :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What? A Sonic spinoff on a Nintendo console that's good? :raise:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Every launch has hiccups but as far as launch lineups go, NSMBU and NintendoLand are so much stronger games to start with than Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, uhhh what the gently caress did the PS3 even launch with? Heavenly Sword? I've already forgotten.

Folklore, I think, maybe? Also Resistance, which was actually good :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I have to say, Miiverse is a really great idea. It's like Twitter for your games. I can't wait to see some creative devs use the program in more meta ways like an adventure game that encourages people to share photos and map annotations.

I also like the funny artists making detailed sketches instead of text posts.

Said it before, say it again, I so wish I had any artistic talent. I love going into the NSMBU miiverse and seeing all the art :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Personally I'm just waiting for the next Zelda game, since I completely skipped Skyward Sword. Inventory and map on the tablet, heck yes.

vvv (edit) oh my god yes

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 20, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Diametunim posted:

Wii u purchase, instantly worth it. I'm posting this from my phone so I pray I don't break the tables. Even if I do the probation will be worth it for this.

E: auto correct sucks.

Christ, this is a brilliant idea. I need to get one of those AC->car cigarette power thingies before my Christmas road trip.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is Nintendoland worth picking up if I don't really have anyone to play it with (:smith:)? I want to get rid of some old games and am feeling lazy so I'm gonna truck the lot to Gamestop and see what I can get.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's okay, it's why I asked. Not sure what else I can get for the system besides Mario U and Zombi U, I was thinking Assassin's Creed 3 if only for the multiplayer, but that's out on PC and that's my preferred platform. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

There any good RPGs on this thing yet/in the near future?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually thanks for reminding me of that, I got bored right around the time I got Dunban in the party.

Maybe I can't do RPGs anymore if it was so good and I got bored anyway :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone else found that trying to turn on the system with the gamepad power button doesn't always work, but turning on the system with its power button then turning on the game pad works and syncs fine? Really weird.

Also my parents gave me Nintendoland for my birthday, yaaay :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Also my parents gave me Nintendoland for my birthday, yaaay :3:

What loving sadist at Nintendo came up with Crash Course

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I still haven't had an issue with a Nintendo console or handheld.

...knock on wood.

Neither have I. I'm surprised so many people in here had/have problems, I honestly thought Nintendo was still making their stuff out of the Nintendium they made the original Game Boys out of. (Just lighter :v:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

Miiverse is amazing.

Stop making me hate myself for being terrible at drawing. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

This is the weirdest gamepad glitch, that or I'm missing something obvious. The Wii U and gamepad seem to start up fine, I get to the main menu, but I can't do anything on the pad. The TV, home and power physical buttons respond, as well as all four shoulder buttons, but the touch screen, sticks, pad, and ABY+- buttons don't. Unless I press X to switch the Miiverse and the menu between the TV and pad (yes, X responds); then the sticks and pad and +- start responding again. Resetting the WiiU hasn't helped. No idea if ABY are doing anything in this mode, since they don't do anything anyway.

The gently caress? :psyduck:

(edit) Nevermind, I guess the screen protector came loose and messed about with the touch screen or something. Peeled the drat thing off and the problem went away. :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 13, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MH3U is the first game that has me playing for longer than an hour at a time on the Wii U. As such I'm starting to get cheesed off at the lousy battery life on the gamepad (yes it's a tablet I know, but damnit my iPad goes like 10 hours or more even playing movies and games, so that's not an excuse). Are there any good third party batteries out yet?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

There's this http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=UBoost+(Black)

Regarding the hand-holding discussion, I always thought the GTA games do a really good job telling you how to do things in a clear and unintrusive way.

Ended up finding one of these at Frys, so I picked it up. In case anyone was wondering about it, it feels kinda flimsy, like I'm gonna break it when I pull out the stand, but otherwise it seems to work as advertised and what the hell, it was 20 bucks. At least doubled my pad's life to about seven hours, though I didn't really measure it.

(edit)

Taear posted:

I would hate it if any of the WiiU games did this. It amounts to saying "You have to have the game connected to the internet to work" which as far as I know no other game does yet.
No other console game, anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So uh, when does this come out? :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't see for the life of me how to enter a particular room, and I don't see 'sagoon' anywhere in beginners 1 lobby 3. :(

(edit: I guess that means it's full?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

I WASN'T READY!

WHY WAS THAT EVEN THERE?!

I love Lego City. The dialogue is among some of the funniest things I've ever heard... :allears:

I need to play this game, someone get Monster Hunter to let its claws (literal and figurative) out of me please :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hahaha, that's wonderfully retarded and, well, Capcom.

That said, I forgot about the gamepad play until you posted that. I'm loving doomed. (he says as MH boots up)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I haven't actually played Earthbound in a long long time, so I don't even remember what the song sample kerfluffle was even about. I probably wouldn't even recognize any of the samples as lifted today, I'm terrible at music and pop culture in general :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait, now I feel kinda dense. Is the Wii U Virtual Console supposed to be different somehow from the games I can already buy on the eShop, like F-Zero?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I feel like some sort of strange class traitor for buying the Wii U basic because I couldn't be assed to find a place that still had deluxe preorders. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Artix posted:

Don't be, I did the same thing. Admittedly, it was more of a "Well I don't give a poo poo about Nintendoland and I'm going to have to buy an external hard drive either way, so I might as well take the $50 and use it to buy Sonic Racing instead."

I was and am so shocked at how good Sonic Racing is. I was 99% sure it was going to be a mistake like buying any Sonic game after 2000 or so (Generations excepted of course).

Bloody loving hard, though, or maybe I'm just bad, but some of those time/boost trials are evil.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone else have their Wii Us not turn on with their gamepad half the time? I have to go over and turn on the Wii U then the pad, then they sync up fine, but they won't power on together. Super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ghostwritingduck posted:

They could use Toads and Goombas to fill out teams.

Goomba linebackers, Toad safeties and Koopa special teams

Get on it Nintendo :allears:

• Locked thread