Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Considering he was making Cube World in the time off from his job, it's amazing that Wollay got a game of this scope done in, what, two years? It's bizarre he was so adamant about not letting us pay for alpha/beta access - on one hand I get that he wanted to provide everyone a quality product, but I think his humility about his own work kind of got the best of him if the shop's instantaneous crash is indicative of anything. He probably could've straight-up quit his job sometime last year if he wanted to, but I guess he didn't realize that there were tens of thousands of people waiting to throw their money at him. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Can you remove blocks from a customized weapon?

I came here to ask this. Anyone know?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Psyker posted:

What is there to this game? It looks like minecraft minus the craft, with a more diversified stable of baddies to kill and a randomized loot component. Is there an actual point to it, like an endgame objective?

Comparisons to Minecraft are really misleading, since Minecraft is generally a sandboxy construction game with combat tacked on, whereas this is a full-fledged open world action RPG. The two have similar art styles, but there's really not any substantial comparison between the two beyond that.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

So what are generally accepted to be the "best" weapons for each class? I know Warrior should generally go two-hander (and Guardian) and that a lot of people here like boomerangs on Ranger, but what about the other two? I've heard that staff is good for grouping as Mage, but it's the only weapon I can stand soloing too. As for Rogue I settled on longsword because its secondary attack counts as a dodge for both evading damage and procing Ninja's crit, but my other options seemed pretty even too. And while we're at it; Scout or Sniper for Ranger? I've been going with Scout because Sniper is just kind of worthless compared to free fully-charged right-clicks, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Freeciv is free. OpenTTD is free. Saying a game should be free isn't the same as calling a game worthless.

Nethack is free. Barkleysomething something gaiden is free. Cave story is free.

Dwarf fortress is free.

I think this game is outclassed by all of the above games. And I don't think those above games are worthless either.

I'm trying to warn people away from making the same mistake I did: buying this game.

So every (independently-developed) video game should be free? Besides, the reason why Freeciv and OpenTTD are free are because they're not original properties.

As a counterpoint: I bought Cube World as soon as I could and am still enjoying the exploration and combat, the latter of which has me putting more hours into it than Torchlight II is so far (another 20-dollar game!).

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Take that stuff to the platinum coin upgrader, to downgrade it.

Where are these NPCs? I've never been able to figure out which one of the countless unlabeled dudes around town it is.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

S.T.C.A. posted:

I would not be totally truthful if I said I was glad to have made this purchase.

But the potential maaaaaaaaaan...

I'd say I'm pretty glad that I paid for it, honestly. It was a whole lot of fun when all the systems were novel, and now I can just wait for more content to roll in since I already own the game for cheaper than whatever it'll be for a full release. It's a very pretty game that satisfies a lot of exploration urges, and the combat is a ton of fun and actually pretty rewarding to master. There's a lot of rebalancing that needs to be done, but if you just want to wander around, kill stuff, level up, and get loot, it's really good. Lord knows it entertained me longer than Torchlight 2 ever did.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

international owl day posted:

Its mostly the same bad posters repeating themselves.

Yeah, probating/banning the chronic shitposters would honestly be a lot better than having to start over from scratch.

I don't know if anyone following the thread at this point would actually be able to offer advice about the game, but for those who do, is it at all possible to really keep up damage-wise as a water mage, or is it just a matter of winning through your incredible attrition? Last time I played I used I think staves (the one that creates the little whirlwind), and it was hard to really keep any sort of damage up, but I could outlast pretty much anything. It just felt a bit underwhelming compared to my rogue. I was getting things done, but it took even longer than normal, which is a pretty respectable chunk of time as it is.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's been 21 days since wollay's last tweet, is it time to meltdown yet?

It's never too early to melt down about an early access game that the dev only made available under massive fan pressure and with the explicit disclaimer that he would continue to develop at his notoriously glacial place. Outrage cannons primed and ready, cap'n!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

lol literally the post directly above that one is footage of Wollay putting a quest system in the game.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's still possible he's a total sperg and doesn't understand that not communicating makes people think he's abandoned it. But that seems less and less likely every day.

This has literally always been the case.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Are you counting a blog update as an update to the game?

No, but I am counting goons as a bunch of people who don't really Get early access.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Asimo posted:

I also agree that developers shouldn't have to release complete games. And it's just silly to criticize developers for it, since they did warn that it was early access. :)

Early access is literally venture capitalism.

e: Which I should clarify isn't a justification for poor follow-through, but I put forth instead because this is seriously not a new concept and goons love to get super pissed about spending 20 bucks on a game that never gets officially finished but they still poured a good 50 hours into.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 28, 2014

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Peter Molyneux has been more responsive in making Godus than Wollay has been in making Cube World, and that's not an endorsement of Molyneux.

It's almost as if AAA developers can get more done than some German dude making games in his spare time!

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Asimo posted:

Jesus Christ, goon white knights will defend anything won't they?

I'm sorry you're mad that you're bad at spending your money. Hopefully in the future your ability to read people will expand to where you can understand when something is a terrible decision to buy into, also so that you don't confuse someone saying "word on anything is glacial at best and always has been but here is a Thing" with an endorsement of the product.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

wagh!! :eyepop:

i've been.. ownde..

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Asimo posted:

But yeah game is dead, has been since it launched since Wollay seems unable to patch or even communicate with people more than once a year, and the thread should have been allowed to fade into the archives and be forgotten just like the game.

Overbite posted:

I forgot I bought this and the dev forgot he made it.

These are both entirely accurate.

I definitely had fun with Cube World, even if it does have all of like eight features in it total, but there's really no use for a thread about it until around 2017 when it's something closer to a full-fledged game rather than a tech demo.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I got a good two weeks out of Cube World and have been thinking about playing it some more, but I love aimless exploration and was pleased with the non-mage combat system.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Kidswhoneedjobs posted:

gets scared that people like and buy it

this is definitely not what happened

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Cathair posted:

Hell, Trove already almost hit the mark.

I think one of the big things that's keeping Trove from reaching a wider audience is that its visual style is absolutely miserable. Granted, this hasn't stopped a lot of games from being runaway hits, but it was a cross between "low budget mmo" and "kids' game" vibe and the teen demographic that would be interested in the game tend to get hung up on that kind of stuff. Cube World has simple art, but the geometry of the characters has weight to it, it doesn't have the generic "smiley face slapped onto a rectangle head" look, it has a much less aggressive palette, and overall just looks a lot more like a professionally-made game like 3D Dot Heroes.

It and a few other games also launched in just a short enough window after Cube World was still in the spotlight that by and large they got pegged as "Cube World knockoffs," and regardless of any merits their complete lack of publicity will hurt a lot more than Cube World's development hell will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Only a little over 3 months until the 3 year anniversary of the last thing to actually happen. But the update is coming soon I bet!

Still doing this, huh?

• Locked thread