Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

Me personally I have never clogged a toilet but my 3 year old used to do it all the time, I could never figure it out. We had to keep a pack of disposable take out chopsticks handy to break up the poops before they would jam up the works. Otherwise it was a goddamn disaster.

Parenting is glamorous af!
I sense a family poop knife in your future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if that's the worst outcome that occurs for you, you've done well
Agreed. I have an english degree and I’m doing just fine. It sounds like you need books that will teach you that your kid is an independent person that gets to make her own decisions.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
This thread is legit terrifying to read sometimes as someone expecting their first child. My big takeaway is stick to a schedule no matter what!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I didn’t mean to be a downer. I’m glad y’all have this space to vent and I look forward to joining you early next year :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Is it worth buying a bassinet if it will only be used for 2 months? I’m also considering a Finnish baby box instead. It seems weird to think about sticking a baby in a glorified cardboard box though.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

1up posted:

If you're in the US, you can do the "courses" at https://www.babyboxco.com/ and they'll send you a baby box bassinet. I think it came with some random samples, but we still use the box even 2 years later as a toy box for the mountain of Frozen dolls and their accessories my 6 year old owns.

That looks promising! It looks like they are not offering boxes at this time, but I’ll keep an eye out.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Oh my gosh, there are so many options! I like the idea of the baby box because it’s portable. I married a mama’s boy so we’re going to be spending some nights at the in-laws and I can just pick that up and go.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I have been either successfully or attempting to nurse my newborn so often I wonder what is even the point of wearing a shirt anymore?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

1up posted:

I wore the loosest, most giant tank tops that barely counted as covering my tits around the house. If I did wear Human Clothes™, I wore a nursing tank underneath. I found it was easier to work the nursing tank + pull up a normal shirt combo than try to guide a tit through the slit of nursing shirts.

Yeah giant tank tops seem to be the way to go! Holy cow, I had no idea how challenging breast feeding was going to be. It is such a natural process I expected it to be easy, but my baby gets mad when the milk is not flowing right away and flails at the boob and bats it away. I’m trying to be more proactive about feeding him so he’s not ravenously hungry when it’s time to eat, but it’s hard.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Does anyone have any tips for surviving the nights with a newborn? He seems to only sleep for maybe 2 hours at a time and it’s been harder than I could have imagined. Will my body eventually get used to this?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thanks guys. Luckily my husband is amazing and incredibly helpful, the main issue is at night since I have the boobs, I have to feed baby. My milk just came in so maybe I’ll try pumping to keep a bottle or two handy so husband can feed the baby and I won’t have to get up every time. Man it’s only been a few days and this has been such a wild ride!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I really appreciate you all sharing your techniques! We’ll try everything and see what sticks :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
There is something I am confused about as a new parent. I have 30 days from date of birth to add baby to my health insurance, which requires his SSN. However, the SSN can take up to 8 weeks to arrive. Am I missing something?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Thanks guys. I actually have a call scheduled with my boss today, so I’ll ask her for HR’s number :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
My baby is three weeks old today and I have concluded that I hate breastfeeding. It takes like 2 hours of nursing to get him full, as opposed to maybe 15 minutes with a bottle. I think I’m going to try switching to pumping, which for some reason feels like I am a failure even though I know that the bottom line is it doesn’t matter as long as he eats enough.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
How do I protect my baby from COVID while running errands? Right now the kid stays home all the time since my husband and I are both on leave, but husband is going back to work next week. Last time I was at the grocery store I saw several people with babies out and about, but it seems risky :/

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Mind_Taker posted:

Can you do Instacart or another grocery delivery service? Alternatively some places like Walmart and Target also do curbside pickup for groceries, the wife and I have done this several times during the pandemic.

Wow, I must be really tired. Curbside pickup is a great idea that I somehow completely forgot about!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Oh poo poo I’m taking my baby in for shots next week :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Babies make no drat sense. Mine is easily overtired. Like, too tired so he can’t sleep! I know it’s a stress response now, but at first I was like wtf just go to sleep.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Just Offscreen posted:

I'm so tired.
You have my sympathies. I feel like the word “tired” is no longer sufficient. I have transcended to an entirely different plane of existence, where tired was a cute tourist trap along the way. We’ll get through this!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Joey Steel posted:

Welp, scheduling a vasectomy now. My 4 month kiddo is absolutely wonderful, and already my wife and I snap at each other over the extremely limited sleep. I don't want to find out what a second kid would do to us.

My husband got his vasectomy yesterday. He said it wasn’t pleasant, but it was over quickly. I’m so grateful he was willing to do that, one kid is plenty for us!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I was actually curious about daycare stuff as well, like how the hell do you pick one? I don’t have any friends with babies, so I can’t just ask for a recommendation from someone I trust. The state has an online registry with every licensed person/facility, but there are SO MANY options. And it annoying as gently caress that no one is upfront about pricing. I guess a good start would be deciding between an actual childcare center (expensive) or someone that runs a daycare out of their house (possibly sketchy). Luckily I plan to keep the little dude at home with me for the next six months or so, so I have some time to figure it out. But any advice or red flags to look for would be appreciated.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Oh my god they were just up partying together all night, that is too adorable :3:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I have a pretty chill baby for the most part, except when he is gassy and then he’s inconsolable. I’m trying to be better about getting a good burp out of him after feedings.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
My dude is still to young for me to worry about screen time, but I have a friend that lets both of her kids watch whatever whenever and they also demand to play on tablets at the same time. I worry that that sort of behavior affects their attention spans long term.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

We got one of them super swaddles that acts as a lil newborn straight jacket. Busted it out one day when lil dude was extra wiggly and it turns your baby into a grub. Super cute watching him inch around all worm like. I lacked heart and put him in a regular swaddle before I went down.

Yeah I love those :) I call my baby my little glow worm when he is being cute and nice and a little meal worm when he is crabby and aggro.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

Do you pull the hood all the way up so the only thing exposed is baby face?

Oh mine doesn’t have a hood, just covers his legs and body and we strap the arms in.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I am afraid to ask, but what is purple crying?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Carotid posted:

From what I can tell by the website, it's a less-pathological way of describing a colicky baby.

Oh thank the lord it’s not an upcoming phase I was unaware of!
On another note, I think that everyone that says you don’t need a lot of things for a baby is full of crap. I have a bouncer, swing, and activity mat thing and I am so grateful to have multiple activities to keep the little guy entertained. I guess maybe you don’t need all of that stuff, but it sure is nice.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Today my awful, for the first time ever my baby just screamed bloody murder and could not be consoled. It sounded like he was in pain, and we couldn’t figure out what it was until we checked his diaper. He had a tiny bit of diaper rash, I can only assume that is what was bothering him. But good lord that was terrifying.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
This is the beginning of the end of the cute grub stage. My 2.5 month old has discovered that he can make noises just for attention and not because he needs anything. Also just generally experimenting with his vocal capabilities, including shrieking.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

Gonna get my kid hooked on Dungeons and Dragons to socialize my child while preventing any teenage pregnancy. Same as I was taught, same as my forefathers.

Stealing this idea! On a serious note, I watched my dad play D&D when I was a kid and always wanted to join. I found a group to play in in high school but of course we grew up and apart. I would love to teach my kid to play someday.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
So how long does the wild shrieking phase last? I can’t tell if baby is upset, amused, or just trying out his voice!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Nessa posted:

For a little while I thought I gave birth to a wolf because she learned to howl and growl. She’s 6 months and not shrieking as much anymore.

Now she’s my little crocodile because she death rolls on the changing table and has scaly skin patches due to her excema.

Oh lord, I’ve been warned about death rolls! It’s so amazing how quickly babies learn and adapt. Mine went from a sweet grub to an aggro velociraptor.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Kirby you are very strange and l like you :)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I wish my parents weren’t toxic as gently caress and I could trust them alone with the baby. It’s been hard having zero help from family, but that was my choice :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

citybeatnik posted:

Similar boat here - my folks are close enough to help us out but they keep doing their own thing without respecting our boundaries, whether it was my mom trying to get me to let her in to the L&D room right after our son was born (despite us telling them we were going in as confidential due to concerns about my wife's ex husband) or them showing up at Christmas with pnuemonia just to experience it with us.

My drat dad's dealing with kidney cancer and i still don't quite feel right going "yeah sure come over and see your grandkids" because they both go to mass and the like in person plus try to triangulate between me and my wife. It's all just so loving exhausting.

Urgh that sounds tough, sorry you are dealing with that. I guess I’m fortunate in the way that I moved to another state so it is easier to tell my parents that no, we won’t be visiting. Both of my parents are hardcore alcoholics and I love them and want them to meet their grandson, but no way in hell am I traveling with an infant back to the place I was physically and emotionally abused. They can sober up and come out here for a few days if they want to see baby...but they won’t.

In other, happier news baby giggled for the first time the other day! It is truly amazing how every day he seems to try more avenues to express himself.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Omg, that is maddening. And a sobering reminder that tummy time is super important. I’ve been slacking a bit because baby hates it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I have found that the hardest thing about being a parent so far is how drat inconsistent baby is. Just when we think a pattern has been established, he throws us for a loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
How do you get your baby to sleep without rocking? Tell me your secrets I’m dying!