Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

Any other parents of an ASD kid? My boy is six and was diagnosed two years ago as high-functioning autistic aka Aspergers.

My son is autistic. Diagnosed at about five, just turned eight this July.

He's very vocal now, but was entirely nonverbal before he started speech therapy through the special ed preschool he was enrolled in. He had a lot of early intervention stuff, as he was behind in pretty much every area, but nothing specific for autism until his diagnosis.

Mentally and emotionally, I'd put him several years younger than he is. Things like math and reading, he's fine. But when it comes to dealing with life in general beyond that, he has a hard time. He's also on medication to help control self-harming behavior, and just got fully potty trained about a year ago.

It's definitely an adventure, and it's pretty hard some days, but we've got ourselves into a rhythm pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I'm sure you've thought about after school sports/programs. Do you think your son would get anything out of them? We tried soccer and swimming with our lad and his attention problems would mean him zoning out and just doing his own thing. It's hard watching practice with the other parents and seeing their kids work and excel and mine rolling around on the field by himself.

Now that he's on meds for attention we're signing him up for skating lessons. This program has experience with special needs kids so there may be some more one-on-one time.

He does bowling leagues, actually. We've tried other sports, but none of them held his interest at all. But for some reason, he loves bowling like nothing else. The league he was just recently in was pretty much 50-50 autistic kids and not, so there was a bit of leeway for kids spacing out for a little bit.

You could try gymnastics or dance lessons, for a physical thing that's a bit more guided than most sports. Especially dance, at that age, as it's pretty much entirely just kids rolling around and doing their own thing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Ugh. Just got my son's school work back for the week, and he failed pretty much everything.

He's just returned to public school after a year and a half of homeschooling, so I know it's probably culture shock. But drat, it kind of sucks to get a test back with a pity "At least you can put your name on the paper" 50%.

His IEP meeting is this coming Tuesday, and that'll be implementing some class room and testing accommodations, which will helpfully get him to do better with school work and tests.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, that sounds like quite a bit for a 7 year old to do all in a row.

Does she sit well enough in the beginning, and the leaving her seat and wanting to play starts earlier? If that's the case, what works for me is splitting it into blocks.

The way I do it with my son is he comes home from school, and I go through his backpack to see what needs to be done. Then he gets a snack, and a little bit of time to unwind from school. Then we'll do one subject's homework (say, spelling), followed by a little break, then the next subject, and so on.

Sustained focus is a really big trouble area for him, but I see it a lot in other kids without his issues as well.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Honestly, if the parents aren't going to step up and do some of it themselves, or cut back on after school programs, it doesn't sound like there's much that can be done. The kid sounds seriously overloaded, and that is going to be a big detriment to sustained focus. I can't really comment on the amount of homework. It sounds like a lot to me, but my son is in special education, and different schools have different amounts of homework anyway.

The only thing I can really suggest in that case is a treat of some variety. I don't like to use food based incentives very often with my son, but sometimes it works when he's having trouble focusing on even just one block of his homework. Something like M&Ms or Skittles, something that's in pieces. Do a problem, or a set number of problems, and he gets to eat a few pieces of candy.

This is really not something you want to do all the time, or even all that regularly. If the parents aren't willing to do something to alleviate the problem, there probably isn't an easy fix, period, until she's matured a bit more.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Does he seem to have trouble with actually having the bowel movement, or is there a substantial amount of gas involved with it? Or cycles of loose stool, and harder?

I ask because my son used to have a lot of similar problems when he was younger, up until fairly recently (it took that long because of his rather lovely first pediatrician). Once we got him in to see a gastroenterologist, it turned out he had a minor blockage (and had one for a long while) that was causing all the issues.

He didn't have any other symptoms aside from getting massively pissed when he had to go, and gas, so if nothing else pans out, it might be worth it to ask for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist if you don't already have one.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pretty much at the end of my rope with my son and school. He had a good first couple of weeks, but since the start of this month he's been lashing out violently and throwing tantrums of increasing intensity.

His meds have gone up a dose, and the school is starting him on an abbreviated school day. Bus'll pick him up about 7ish, and we pick him up at the school at noon. He may have to transfer to a more restrictive classroom environment in a different school, which will just be a joy to deal with if things don't improve.

I'm pretty much just sick and tired of practically living in the school office. I've tried everything I can think of, from prizes for good behavior to taking away privileges. Anyone have any methods that have worked for them in motivating a kid to behave while away from home and parents?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

Is he lashing out at students or staff? What sparks the tantrums?

Currently not getting his way, which then evolves into attention seeking.

He's currently in a program specifically geared towards kids with autism, and they can usually distract him from getting that bad, but sometimes things just get bad quick.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Konomex posted:

Guh. As if getting her to sleep by herself were hard enough. My (almost) 12 week old daughter appears to be teething. Anyone have any tips for really young babies who are teething? She kind of chews but is actually pretty terrible at it.

We can see where the tooth is coming up, so she's definitely teething.

My son didn't take at all to teethers, so I just tossed (new) washcloths that wouldn't fray into the freezer for a while, and let him gnaw on those. It generally did the trick.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

No experience with a helmet in particular, but I was in a hip brace when I was about that age, and have spoken to my mom about it before, and my son spent about a full month in a cast at one point. After a day or two of being in something nonstop, the baby pretty much stops noticing it's there, even if it restricts movement. The helmet looks like it's pretty much not an issue there, so after about a day or two of being annoyed and/or curious, your son probably will just forget it's there entirely.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

LoG posted:

Does anyone have any experience with hydrocele? Little dude is20 months old and I noticed his little sack was swollen on one side during a diaper change. He had an ultrasound and everything to make sure it wasn't torsion or a hernia so hydrocele was the diagnosis. The pediatric surgeon recommended surgery in case his intestines pop through the little hole. I'm very nervous about him going under anesthesia.

No experience with that particular thing, but my son had to be put under anesthesia at a little bit older than that for a surgery to repair some tendons in his ankle. Everything went fine. Took him a while to wake up fully, but he wore himself out crying before he went under.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Scuttlebutt posted:

Does anyone have any experience with toddlers who don't talk? My 2.5 year old niece doesn't talk. Every now and then she will say a word (never consistently), and the family treats it as cause for celebration. Most of the time she just screams and cries. I know that her parents have a referral to get her evaluated, but they don't intend to follow through with it. Should we be worried, or is she just most likely a late bloomer?

Chiming in with everyone else that getting her evaluated is the best idea. Getting my son evaluated and into speech therapy (amongst other things) at that age did wonders for his ability to communicate now. He was entirely nonverbal at that age, and while he's still not entirely up to speed, he's talking almost nonstop now at 8. The evaluation turned up things beyond his speech delays as well, which had gone unnoticed as they weren't as overt.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

So, anybody get their weird-talking kid fixed? Anybody leave their weird-talking kid alone and have them get better anyway before graduate school?

I was the left alone weird-talking kid, and now I still have a stutter and a speech sound disorder that will likely never get any better, and are very noticeable at times.

My son has been in speech therapy on and off since he was 3, and has improved in leaps and bounds over the last five years. He's nowhere near perfect, but he's coming from being entirely non-verbal. He's just recently gotten diagnosed with an actual speech impediment, but they've been working on the same general ideas since he started talking. It's been slow, but the improvements while he's made while seeing a therapist are noticeable, and slowed down to almost nothing in the time periods where he was not receiving therapy.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Marchegiana posted:

My youngest we noticed early on was having issues with certain sounds. At her 3-year checkup the pediatrician told us it was because she was tongue-tied, and sent us to an ENT. The ENT was reluctant to snip it because of her age, and recommended we try speech therapy to help her work around it. That was when we started the long process to get her into the county program, which took almost a year. She's shown noticeable improvement since then, and now it's only the Th- sounds that seem to still give her trouble.

The voiced and voiceless dental fricatives are considered some of the hardest sounds for kids to learn to produce, and are often some of the last phonemes learned.

That's actually one of the sounds I have problems with, and it's generally replaced by a d, f, or hard t, depending on position and the sound of the word. My son has the same issue (amongst several others).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

On the Santa note, I let my son believe in him, for now. It makes him happy. I let him believe in the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy too.

I honestly don't know how I'd explain the truth to him in a way he would understand with where he is with his cognitive development, and I'm willing to let him keep believing until he's ready. Especially because he has no brain to mouth filter, and he'd spill the beans to any other kid around him.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

Am I the only one who swears accidentally in front of the kids, then has to spend the next week reminding them that saying "gently caress" is not okay?

I do that allllll the time. I have a pretty foul mouth, and I usually manage to control it, but sometimes I slip. Our most memorable "gently caress" incident was one time I stubbed my toe. The next few days were spent stopping the kid from going "gently caress! gently caress! gently caress!" all the time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

zonohedron posted:

Any advice on managing to control swearing? Some years ago I made an effort to stop using any religious swears, and was pretty much successful... but I seem to have just replaced whatever I would have said before with "gently caress," "poo poo," "shitfuck," and/or "fuckshit," and I hadn't realized how much I still swore until my son was born and I started listening more closely to myself. :doh:

Really it just came down to watching myself. I had to make myself consider more what I was going to say before I was going to say it. I still curse way more than I probably should within his hearing, but I've got it way way down and getting less all the time.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son started Adderall XR at the end of the last week, and I'm finally seeing a huge improvement in his general behavior (less violent outbursts and better focus on things), which I'm hoping carries over to when school goes back in session.

He got through Christmas almost entirely without meltdowns, only one toward the end of the day at my grandmother's house, which I think was just the result of being overwhelmed.

We've gotten super lucky with psychiatric meds with him. I'm on constantly shifting prescriptions trying to find things that work and keep working, but the three my son are on have all worked on the first try for the things they've been prescribed for. Clonidine for tics and insomnia, Abilify for self-harming behavior, and now Adderall XR for the violent outbursts and focusing.

I'm hoping this is it, because I don't want to have to put him on a thousand and one medications just to get him to the point where therapy can start getting through.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son has managed to have a fantastic first week back to school. Did all his work, was nice to the other kids, had very few meltdowns. And this is in an entirely new class he transferred into on the first day back, in an entirely different school.

We'll see how he does as school continues, but this is pretty much a complete 180 so far, from how he was in the previous program.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Talk to your doctor about getting on antibiotics if you aren't already on them. It doesn't do much for the symptoms, but it helps shorten the time you're infectious. That'll let you get someone to help out without the concern of spreading pertussis around.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Chandrika posted:

Edit: My doctor told me that antibiotics are not helpful with pertussis, because it's a virus, not a bacteria.

Your doctor is super wrong. Pertussis/Whooping cough is caused by bordetella pertussis, which is a bacteria.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son has yet to ask the 'where babies come from' question, at 8. He's way more interested in Angry Birds and Star Wars. His father gets to handle answering that one when it comes up because he's way less awkward about stuff than I am.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I used Explode the Code when I was homeschooling my son. He did very well with those. It's a phonics based reading program, that comes in levels. The PreK books are called Get Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, and Go for the Code, if you want to look them up. If you think she's ready for more outright reading, there's Explode the Code Book 1, and Beyond the Code Book 1 (the Beyond books are for reading comprehension).

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Arrrrgh. My son's baby teeth just absolutely refuse to fall out at all. He's got a molar trying to come up, and the tooth above it isn't budging. So now it's at an angle, with the roots exposed above the gum line. He is going to need braces something serious. At least it doesn't hurt. Which I only know because it got noticed about the second pass in with a toothbrush. Either that, or he is the most stoic child EVER.

I am really not looking forward to autism + braces.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There's a pretty big difference between being over-protective, and not letting kids mess with stuff or play on equipment that is outright dangerous. The whole fire portion of that article made me super uncomfortable. How many of the kids playing with it know basic fire safety rules? That's just basic "Keep your rear end alive" sense, not over-protectiveness. I'm sure the "Benefits overweigh the risks" line will make everyone feel better when some kid is in the ICU with third degree burns.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

13 months, it isn't that unusual for late bloomers to have little to no verbal vocabulary. If the child is vocalizing at all for needs (not necessarily using words), able to use basic gestures like waving and pointing, and verbalizes consonant sounds as practice, you're generally alright at that age. If there's no basic words at all by 15-18 months, then you'll definitely want testing for a speech delay. It might still be a "late bloomer" thing even then, but it's better to find that out, than let a speech delay go untreated.

The sign language thing is a good idea. My son was very speech delayed (no words by two years old), along with a whole basketful of other sorts of issues, and sign language really seemed to jump start development there.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm going to hop in on the one or two nights a month aren't going to irretrievably damage your kid side. I'm a Navy brat, and when my dad was here, he read stories to me and my brothers every night, hung out with us, talked, etc. Then we'd go six months without our nightly Dad Bedtime Stories whenever he shipped out, and certainly didn't talk to him every day. I'm reasonably sure we turned out fine.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

My daughter is almost four and we have a 6 month old. Its been incredibly hard on our wife and I to be anything but parents every minute of the day. She's breastfeeding so the 6 month old is attached at the boob, my 4 year old most likely has ADD and she just requires a lot of focus.

My wife and I both wish we had some type of social life. Its nonexistent for both of us. We get to talk a bit to each other at the end of the day when both kids are asleep, but we're so tired we are in bed and asleep by 8:30 as well.

I'm looking for what other parents had done at these ages to not feel like isolated cavemen and women, or if the answer is just, "This is how it goes in those first early years with multiple kids, gotta just stick it out." I'm okay with that last answer, just need to know that it pretty much is the answer.

Fine someone you trust to babysit, pretty much. In my case, I have a gaggle of family living locally, which was invaluable in getting me time, and quality time with the SO, when we were still together.

Your wife is breastfeeding, you said. But if she feels comfortable expressing milk, and having it fed in bottles when she's out or needs a break, that would help give you and her some time to go out and decompress.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FordCQC posted:

anyone know a good place to buy stickers, especially those with licensed characters? The local Target is not a good place apparently, unless they are located someplace other than the arts and crafts section.

Also, anything like Joann Fabric and Craft Stores, Michaels Arts and Crafts, etc. I usually find a ton of stickers there.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son is quite a bit older (he'll be 10 in July), but I've definitely noticed video games have had a beneficial effect on him. He hate hate hate hates to read just about any book, but he will happily read in Pokemon, Mario games, etc. I've also noticed an improvement in his comprehension and puzzle solving skills, since he started playing things like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, and Where's My Water?

And they use Wii Sports as a combination reward + gross motor skills thing in his special ed classes.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cimber posted:

Anyone else have experience with this? Is this normal 4 year old aggressiveness or should I talk to his doctor?

From what you said, it sounds like it is probably fairly normal kid aggressiveness, coupled with stress from the favorite teacher leaving.

I have a lot of experience with this, as my son is very prone to being violently aggressive in school, both towards staff, objects, and inwardly directed through self-harming. Now, my son is in special ed and has multiple comorbid disorders, so my situation may be a fair bit different than yours, but some things to look for are escalating behaviors, especially the violence, and the behavior continuing past a readjustment period.

If you feel the behavior is very unusual or it escalates, it cannot hurt to talk to his doctor. If the daycare staff is willing to work with you, and you think this would work for your son, one thing that worked well for us in at least diminishing the aggressiveness is a reward system. If he goes the day without lashing out violentally (given his conditions, screaming meltdowns are to be expected, really), my son gets a sticker on a calender. If he gets a sticker, when he gets home he gets something that he really enjoys (watching a favorite movie or show, an hour with his Skylanders game, a Happy Meal on occasion, things like that). If he gets a full week, he gets a really big reward (go out to the movies, go bowling, etc).

At four, he might not really have the sense of time for the weekly thing, but a daily reward may be useful in curbing some of the behavior.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ghost story posted:

Why can't he just wait a few days? It just strikes me as really weird that he's so determined to have the baby to himself. It's one thing to have an afternoon/day with the baby but for several days out of the country? That would be a big NOPE here.

Wanting to have some dad and kid time is weird? And the post said another part of the country, not out of the country.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ghost story posted:

Must have misread the country part but still.

Wanting time? Not weird. Planning a trip to where she's purposely excluded? And she can come if the days are adjusted? Weird.

But thats just my take on it.

Well, personally, I think essentially saying "I give roughly zero fucks about my partner's opinion in this" and "My special relationship with our kid is more important than his" (not the exact words, obviously, but pretty clearly spelled out anyway) is pretty drat weird.

It honestly sounds like more of a relationship problem with the kid as a factor, than a parenting problem.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hungry Squirrel posted:

My kid has very thin, fine hair. If I wash it more than once a week it gets brittle and dry. I use Johnson's classic yellow baby shampoo. She hates conditioner (though I sometimes can get sneaky and, after putting my moisturizer on, I can run my hands over her head and get some on that way). Who makes a good, deep conditioning, gentle, kid-friendly shampoo? As summer wears on, she'll need to bathe more often to get dirt/food/pool chlorine out.

L'Oreal Kids 2-in-1 has worked really well for my son. His hair is pretty thick rather than fine, but without conditioner it turns into an explosive mess. Also they smell pretty good. Good enough I sometimes steal a bit of the Orange Mango one for myself.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For younger kids who might not be able to sit quietly through a whole movie, if you have an AMC theater near you, they do a program called Sensory Friendly Films that are in quite a few of their theaters across the US. It's specifically geared towards special needs kids (especially autism), but I could see it working well for younger kids too. It's usually once a month with one movie, on a Saturday, at the 10 AM your local time showing.

There are generally no previews before the movie, and they're not turned up as loud and the lights aren't turned down as low. You're allowed to bring your own snacks in, and the Silence is Golden rule is waived during that showing. So kids can make some noise, get up, dance, walk around, whatever. Our local AMC also keeps the next door room empty, for kids that need a bit of cool down time.

Here's a list of the participating theaters, by city.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

When my son was around that age, and had a terrible bad, mucus everywhere cold, a nurse friend of my mom told me to take unsweetened ice tea, dilute it with a bit of water, and have him drink some. The resulting explosion of grossness from his nose was unpleasant, but it pretty much cleared out all of it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Oatmeal baths. My two brothers and I all caught chicken pox at pretty much the same time, and oatmeal baths and calamine lotion worked wonders at keeping us and our mom from going over the deep end.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Alterian posted:

I use to snerk at people that use a harness and leash on their kids, but I've been tempted to get one for my 18 month old for longer outdoor outings. Does anyone use one? Do they still have the stigma of "bad parenting" with them?

I used one with my son, for a few years after most people would. He would frequently try to pull a runner, and didn't have the verbal skills to get help or give information if he got lost. I already dealt with plenty of 'bad parent' glares and whatnot, with him going into meltdowns in stores, but I didn't really notice an increase or anything. I pretty quickly learned not to give any fucks what other people thought, in general.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lawyer up, ASAP. Keep documentation on anything and everything, especially about you paying 100% of the bills. Also, if you think she's a flight risk with your son, lawyer up immediately and tell whoever you get to represent you that you believe so and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think I have an idea of where she's trying to move (I live in Hampton Roads). Yeah, if it's where I think it is, there's like...nothing there besides marsh, beach, and ramshackle houses.