Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Senso posted:

Anyway, TL;DR Raising an hyperactive kid in a crazy foreign country ain't always easy!

Obligatory cute pic!

That is going to be interesting.

I've got a 99th percentile wild child, and at age 3 we just kind of let him run wild. Try finding something you guys can do together that doesn't make you insane, and do that, lots. I took my boy out walking in the woods for an hour or so every day for several years. Was enough stimulus and direct adult attention that he had a good time, learned things, and he didn't have do anything horribly annoying to get stimulus/reactions...for that hour.

Didn't really get serious about management/medication till first grade started going poorly for him. Kindergarten had it's share of problems, but we hoped he would grow out of his troubles. He didn't. Halfway through first grade medication was a gamechanger for him.

I found teaching the kid to read was a huge weight of parenting off my shoulders. A lot of ADD people hyperconcentrate like awesome on things they like, so being able to give my boy a book and have it buy an hour or two of silent good behavior was worth getting done as soon as possible. Probably can't really get going on that with a 3 year old, but keep it in mind as a possibility for sooner than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Superdawg posted:

What does everyone use for baby gate solutions? My son is 9 1/2 months old and crawling like crazy, almost walking on his own and climbing the stairs like a pro.

We have a collapsible gate going into the kitchen from the living room (This one: http://www.target.com/p/evenflo-expansion-swing-wide-wood-gate/-/A-13979818#prodSlot=large_1_35).

However, our stairs have a landing with one stair that steps down into the room on an angle, so putting a pressure gate isn't really an option. Curious what other people do for the odd configurations with regard to gates. What we've been doing is putting big objects in front of the stair, but he's smart and goes around it in a matter of minutes.

I don't really want to spend $500 on a solution, so the cheaper the better as long as it works.

Well, you can always drop 20$ on a chunk of plywood and a couple hinges. screws/mollybolts and a hook and eye. Easier to do a little spackle and paint or pay a damage deposit than it is to pay for an urgent care visit.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 14, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Here is my sprouts. The older they get, the more clear it becomes that kid big is a clone of me with no genetic input from my wife, and kid little is all wife with no discernable me in there.

robbiegusfall2012 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Dear Prudence posted:

One of them is named Gus? Because if so, that is the best name! Reminds me of Gus Gus from Cinderella. So adorable!

Yeah, kid little is Alexander August. They call him Alex at school, we call him Gus at home. His choice, when asked is "Auggie-Doggie"

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Lyz posted:

So, Chris turns 1 this week, it's weaning time! I really don't think I'm producing all that much anyways so I don't feel too bad.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get him to like cow's milk? I gave it to him a couple times at breakfast, he just drinks it, opens his mouth and lets it spill out, then refuses the cup. Should I try to sweeten it with something (he likes all types of fruit juices)? Or should I start with something like 1% and ramp him up to whole?

Here's the obligatory messy birthday cake photo, had a great party for him this past weekend.

Whole is sweeter than skim. If he doesn't like whole, skim will taste like dirty water.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Thomase posted:

Is there a better solution? We don't want to keep his pacifier in all day and he doesn't seem to be teething at the moment. We're just very bruised and worried about him interacting with cousins the same age at Christmas gatherings.

We just watched our bitey baby like a hawk whenever he was in range. He had a characteristic head-movement he'd make before he clamped down, so you'd be having nice cuddle times, or feeding or playing with cousins, and when his head pulled back he was going to take a chomp.

Pretty much like a boss battle, just watch for the pattern, and when he does his super-attack, you defend or dodge.

And a bite or attempted bite ment a break in cuddle-time, or feeding, or playing with cousins. Not a long one, but a minute or two of interrupted fun every time he nipped made it less attractive. Or he grew out of it.

Don't bite back in play. That is the wrong thing to do. Interrupt whatever stimulation causes biting.
The saying goes, a kid will do whatever obnoxious bullshit thing they are going to do untill you can't stand it another second. Then they'll stop, and replace it with something worse.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 22, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Young Alexander Gus and I were playing last night.
He says: "I have Raccoon Powers!"
what are raccoon powers?
"They can open ANYTHING!"
that seems useful...
"I can Open Your Skull, and Take Out Your Brains!"

wow.
maybe fewer nature documentaries before bed.

alexandersoccer20121 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Konomex posted:

Try some classical music or jazz? Kids don't have to be consigned to a hellish existence of only kid bands until they segue into pop.

Mozart, Talking Heads, KRS-One.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

So, speaking of son little. While his concepts and vocabulary are consistently excellent, at age 5, he cannot distinguish between Wizard and Lizard, and a lot of his vocabulary is as a result of having to find words that people can distinguish when common ones aren't getting across. We got the "You really really want to spend 100$ for an evaluation of your weird-talking kid" letter from school.

Anybody got themselves speech-pathologized either as a parent or as a kid who can speak on the subject? I keep meeting kids who have been in therapy for their speech defects for years without much improvement. My suspicion is that it will get better with or without another appointment to keep and bill to pay. And if the results I've seen are any indication, the professionals don't help much.

But that may be poorly founded, or misunderstood.

So, anybody get their weird-talking kid fixed? Anybody leave their weird-talking kid alone and have them get better anyway before graduate school?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I was the left alone weird-talking kid, and now I still have a stutter and a speech sound disorder that will likely never get any better, and are very noticeable at times.

My son has been in speech therapy on and off since he was 3, and has improved in leaps and bounds over the last five years. He's nowhere near perfect, but he's coming from being entirely non-verbal. He's just recently gotten diagnosed with an actual speech impediment, but they've been working on the same general ideas since he started talking. It's been slow, but the improvements while he's made while seeing a therapist are noticeable, and slowed down to almost nothing in the time periods where he was not receiving therapy.

Exactly the perspective I was looking for. Thanks very much. Especially the progress/no progress with and without therapy.

Hope we end up with some quick progress, because Kindergarten is going to be a bear otherwise.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

We just left the car seats installed, and removed the child. Both our kids could be fairly reliably scooped out and be back to sleep if it was sleepy-time. Of course, we also didn't splash out huge bux for any baby mobility system. Mostly carried the little critters around over a shoulder or on a head or in a 15$ umbrella stroller.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Does everyone pretty much do the Santa thing? We're not there yet, but I'm a little uneasy with the idea. At the same time, I remember how great the idea of Santa is. Is there some sort of middle ground? Like, telling them it's a big group pretend?

We've had a discussion of Pascal's Wager in regard to Santa.

I am in favor of encouraging critical thinking, and also thinking about when it isn't necessarily the best idea to tell everybody what you think you know. Sometimes being right isn't worth what it costs.

I still get fairly nice high-ticket but not particularly personal items from 'Santa'.

So, books, furniture, or art, with inscriptions with the name, date, and message come from mom or pop or wife. But stuff that isn't likely to be in the family 20 years hence, like: video game systems, snow tires, that sort of thing? Those come from Santa.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

AlistairCookie posted:

Question to all: So, where do babies come from? Tim asked me specifically how the baby gets in the mommy's tummy, and was persistent about it. I coped out a bit and said that sometimes a doctor helps the baby get there when a mommy and daddy decide they really want a baby, which is actually true in his case, but I want a better answer for when this comes up again. I don't think we're quite ready for "the penis goes in the vagina" yet, but I don't want to feed him some bullshit like the stork. (Or maybe, I'm not quite ready for penises in vaginas talk to my 4 year old. :ohdear: )

We went ahead with 'fertilize eggs' by 'sharing DNA' and 'once you were a single cell' etc. Whenever we catch beetles, or turtles or whatever doing they thang, the kids say 'Look! They are sharing DNA!'.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

MNSNTZR posted:

I don't know if it's kosher or not to ask about your friends' kids here. I apologize and will delete if it isn't! If it helps, she did actually ask my advice. I promise I'm not the childless friend with a million things to say. :ohdear:

Either way, my friend has a 18 month old who has... well, aggression problems. He pinches, hits, throws his toys directly at people (mostly when his mom is driving, which you can imagine is a huge problem.) I don't live near her anymore, so I don't know where he gets it from. She's claiming that time-outs don't do anything for him, because he sincerely has been a very active child and never sits still/has a quiet moment. He's loving one, so I understand that part. Kids are loud and busy. But kids shouldn't hit.

Anyone with experience on this? It's really stressing my friend out and I hate seeing her like this. :(

Well, the obvious thing is to put the toys into time out. You throw a thing, it is gone for a while (20 minutes, 24 hours, a week, whatever). Address the ammunition supply. Though it is a 1 year old, no amount of sitting down and talking it out like adults is going to help the thing, just don't let him have things to throw in the car, and remove whatever is proximal to the problem. Throw things? things go away. Pinch people? people go away untill you can calm down.

I doubt this is indicative of a lifelong problem. Year and a half olds do some poo poo, but they are unlikely to be doing the same poo poo in 6 months.

I had a biter, and the thing we did was to watch him like a hawk when he was in range, because he had a tell, like an old video game. Whenever he reared his head back, you know a bite is coming, so you dodge. And whenever he tried, he got put down, told 'biting hurts, we can't play if you bite'. After a few months, his 1 year old tricks became 2 year old tricks, and that problem went away, to be replaced with something different. Repeat, every six months to a year, for the next 22-25 years.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 18, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

MNSNTZR posted:

That's actually pretty cool advice, thank you. I imagine that he's pinching and hitting on mom as well, though. Does the same thing apply, or?

Sure, but it isn't like you have to punish for any length of time. Just interrupt the stimulation that is causing the current problem. If your kid starts playing rough with you, put the kid down/out of reach, say "you are playing too rough, and we can't do that" leave him there to contemplate his sins for a minute or two, then back to happy family time. No need or reason to punish for long periods of time, just enough to make it clear that the nasty thing he does ends playtime.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

frenchnewwave posted:

Hi, new mommy here. My daughter is almost 3 months old now. My husband and I love to travel and are wondering when we might be able to (enjoyably) travel with our newest addition. Is it crazy to think about European or UK travel (we're from the States) with her when she's about 18 months? We originally thought it might be a good age - she would have more of a schedule, we would be more confident as parents. Of course we would plan a more relaxed trip and not pack our days full like when we travel alone. But then we just went to a party where someone brought their 18 month old and he was a terror. Thoughts from other parents?

Yeah, gonna be a while. When we had serious travel with the sub-5 kids, we dropped them off with the grandparents. It is a shame, I'd have absolutely loved to take my toeheaded 3 year old to China with me, but schedules, food, hotels, everything makes it really hard for children and adults to be on their good behavior, or to actually get anything done.

Basically, a child can pretty effectively cancel any plan at any point, and unless you build in a plan for one of the adults to take the kid back to the hotel (this is a tough thing to do on a dive boat, or chicken bus) it is going to be goddamn miserable for everybody. And even if you can, it still means one adult has to skip whatever actually vacationing thing they wanted to do to pay attention to a fussy baby in a hotel room. Not vacation-awesome.

My youngest is 6 now, and we've travelled without concern for a couple years now, but I wouldn't do anything but visiting family travel with anybody under 4. They won't remember it, and they will gently caress it up at least a few times. If this is the only time you're ever going to be at the Imperial Whatever Museum, it is hard not to be very cross a 3 year old who isn't feeling it. But they can't help it, so the situation is best avoided. Stow the littles with the grandparents, everybody will be happier.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 5, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

frenchnewwave posted:

I imagined as much. I'll have to break it to my husband who has the travel bug worse than me. But we'll probably take a short domestic trip here and there (even if just driving).

One of the silver linings on this is that you can experience the hell out of local things. I visit my local swamp park a couple times a week year round, because it is 5 minutes away, and it's not like an 18-month to 5 year old is going to get tired of walking in the exact same woods, or going to the exact same zoo, or the exact same local science or history museum or whatever three times a week till they start kindergarten. If it goes badly for whatever reason, it is not a huge investment ruined, just 'ok, today is not a zoo day, we'll try again another day' rather than 'we loaded up the minivan and drove 3 hours for this petulant bullshit? (and have to drive 3 hours back?) argh!'

And, also, it isn't like an 18 month old is going to have a bad time on a trip every time, it's just that major travel puts the stakes up way high, so if it doesn't work out it is a much bigger deal.

Unfortunately, right about the time you can start really feeling ok about bringing your kids along for serious travel, you need to start buying them their own airline seat. We can swing 2g's for tickets, but 4g's? that is harder, and starts to make car-travel look a lot more attractive.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

VorpalBunny posted:

The other day, after playing in a park with a friend and his 2-year old daughter, I was putting my kids in their carseats when I watched my friend drive off with his daughter in his lap. At first, I figured he was just moving his car and didn't want to bother strapping his kid in her carseat for some reason. Then I watched him turn out of the parking lot driveway into traffic.

This isn't the first time he's driven with her out of her carseat. He told me once, casually, that he let her ride in the "front seat" and she loves it. That was going from one parking lot to another, across a busy street, and I wasn't sure how to respond then. I sure as hell don't know what to do now that I know he's done it at least twice and this time for a much longer trip - about 8 blocks across very busy traffic.

I understand the myriad of ways this is dangerous behavior (airbags, car accidents, etc) but I don't know how to address it with my friend or his wife. He is (clearly) a very cavalier kind of parent, often considered reckless in other parents' eyes, but I've never truly worried for his daughter's safety until now. He's a stay-at-home dad and keeps insisting I can leave my toddler with him if I need some alone time with my newborn, but I was iffy about that before I saw him drive around with his own toddler in the front seat.

Any advice on how to handle this? I don't want to cut them out of our lives or anything, since our toddlers are best friends and love to hang out, but I just worry about just how careless he might get with these kids.

You really can't give him poo poo about how he does with his own kid.
But you can definitely offer as aggressively as you need to to make sure that your kid has a car seat installed and strapped in to your satisfaction, and every other rule you prefer. My kids eat what Im eating, watch a little TV, have only nominally parent-over-the-shoulder internet time, are allowed out of my sight for minutes at a time in public, and sometimes the 8 year old can sit in the front seat with a booster. All manner of other slack-rear end parenting somebody else might not approve of. If your kid is hanging out with us and has different rules, explain them, and we'll do what we can to comply. Best if you aren't huffy and snotty and I can't believe you people about it though, generally. Also probably don't call 911.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Eggplant Wizard posted:

This? This not good.

Of course it isn't, cavalier and stupid and dangerous. However I don't think going high dudgeon/call the police/I feel feint is the way to approach it if you want your kids to be able to see each other again. If I were doing it, I'd probably go for the common enemy and brotherly advice tack and say "if the cops catch you doing that they will beat you till the candy comes out...people have no sense of humor about this sort of thing"

Though telling the wife...or better getting some other wife to tell his wife, would probably work better.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 11, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

CrushedWill posted:

I have a 4 y/o that brings home 2-3 pieces of art a week. His entire room is covered with his art, and when he gets new art, he chooses which art gets hung and which is ditched.

There are specific pieces of art that I will never dispose of, but I came to the realization that not every piece of art is a keeper.

I try to encourage my kids to keep working on existing works. Every so often something will be awesome and will get pulled for the permanent collection, but I save a lot of art paper by saying "ok, do you think _this_ quartet of stick figures representing your family is really done? is there anything you would like to add to the story?" So, rather than 10 quartets of stickfigures on ten pieces of paper, I'll eventually end up with two fairly heavily decorated and fully realized images.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Welp, I spent 34 hours awake and 20 hours in two ERs (while my wife was across the country at a conference), getting the range on young Robbie's kidney stones. Amazing how serial vomiting and rolling around on the ground clutching your lower-right quadrant only ever happens after the urgent care is closed.

Gus crawled into the gurney with Rob for pretty much the entire duration.

IMAG0347 by RReiheld, on Flickr
As long as one of them is on a morphine drip, my children get along very well.

Also learned that there is no point in going to the local ER, because they will hear his medical history and turf him to Childrens anyway. Out the cost of two admissions and an ambulance ride figuring that out.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 24, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
Aw jeez, that blows. At least you can be rest assured that he's in good hands now. Kidney stones are a big heaping helping of No Fun, poor thing. But it's awfully sweet that Gus was concerned enough to crawl up and lay with him. :3: I'm sure your wife was quite upset that this had to happen while she was away. How long was Robbie in for? Is he still there? How do they treat kidney stones in kids? Can they do the ultrasonic thing for them?

We're all home. For now it is just pushing fluids and oxycodone, and hoping he'll pee it all out. If that doesn't resolve directly then I dunno. Got consults with nephrology and urology both coming up in the next week or so.

But yeah, consistently impressed with Childrens, both their specialist departments and the folks in the ER. Pro as hell.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

How have people here tackled teeth brushing in young ‘uns? Amelia’s 15 months now, but she’s been pretty resistant to it ever since she’s had teeth. She normally tries to eat the toothpaste, then protests as we try to actually do some brushing. This seems to be getting worse, if anything. Obviously we can get firm and do it anyway, but we’re both worried about her ending up with a complex about it, and it’s not nice forcing her to do something that ends up with her crying.

I imagine this isn’t too uncommon, so was wondering what tactics people might have employed to make the whole process easier.

Electric toothbrush, maybe? That at least will do a better job in the limited amount of time you have before they lose their poo poo.

Also, let them pick out the toothpaste. Though this is frought with it's own risks, I'd rather brush my teeth with hemorrhoid cream than bubblegum toothpaste, but early morning, not paying attention, I've ended up with wild berry or bubblegum, or whatever other horrible thing the kids like more than a few times.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I shouldn't really worry for a few more months, right?

Probably nothing to worry about.

Do you talk to him? Not just about him and his concerns, but like all the time. It helps to narrate your day while you are doing stuff together. Sounds stupid when you are prattling on in public, but telling the kid about every step of the laundry, what colors things are, or macaroni and cheese process, or where you are going and why helps develop language. Chat his little ear off, tell him the names and uses for everything you get at the grocer and hardware store, regardless of content or relevance to the concerns of 1 year olds, more sticks than you'd expect and it helps.

Also, if you are me, your kid will pick up some unexpected vocabulary and trot it out for strangers to their considerable amusement.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 19, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Firstborn posted:

I have kind of issue with my girlfriend's 2 yo. He won't go to bed.

He spends generally half the week at his grandmother's, and when he is over there, she apparently sleeps in the bed with him. When he is home and put to bed, he cries incessantly like his heart is being broken, and then there's a 2 hour process or so of him getting out of bed and coming to his bedroom door crying and asking for nonsensical things.

I know a big part of this is simply being the age, but any advice?

You can't _make_ a kid sleep, it is one of the few things in their life that they can control, so a lot of them will. Fighting or shouting about it is stimulating, and makes it very hard for either of you to get to sleep. So you need to establish habits for bedtime.

Make a comprehensive bedtime ritual. If he is going straight from dinner/excitingness/television to bed, then he isn't going to wind down well.

I'd try a series of increasingly more relaxing things. Bath time, then reading together, then pee and glass of water so he won't pop up in 10 minutes asking after those, then lights out and a cuddle, then sing a song, then good night and close the door. When he gets up, don't yell, don't argue, don't engage, don't do anything exciting. Just silently put him back in his bed.

Make it a nice time, for both of you. You can't rush it, or your kid will catch on that you are cheating. Even a preverbal kid knows when you are trying to cheat to shave minutes off a routine, so block out your schedule and do it the whole way, the same way, every time.

It may still be a 2 hour process, but you could make it a less lovely 2 hour process.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Subliterate young Gus came to me while I was doing something else and said "Can I have a lemon ice from the freezer?" It had been a long hot outdoors day, "sure." He says "I'll get it myself!". So, I congratulated myself on my independant and self-sufficient child, and went about my business. Went to check up on him half an hour later, and it turns out he had eaten an entire can of concentrated frozen lemonade with a spoon. Upon reflection, I'm not sure there is even anything wrong with that. But still.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Oxford Comma posted:

After I put my four-year old son and his two-year old brother to bed, within a half-hour the oldest will start screaming for me or mom. He wants to sleep with us because he gets scared in the dark. I'm only opposed to this because he flops around like a fish and neither my wife nor I get any sleep. Any suggestions as to The Right Thing to Do?

Have you let him pick out a nightlight? My littlest has had a big crush on his light-up stars turtle for about 2 years now. It projects stars and moons in two colors on the upper deck bunk and celing. He has one specific color combination (out of several you click through) that he prefers. Doesn't like his brothers nightlight in the same room, since the extra light makes his nightlight pattern less bright.

4 year olds know what they want, and letting them pick makes it a lot more likely that things will take.

This is approximately his jam:
http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Twiligh...ht+light+turtle

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I wish that was an option, but unfortunately we either make the trip our we don't get to see my parents ever. It's a crappy situation, and we won't be doing it often for that reason.

I'll see about ripping some Sesame Street; he has seen very little TV at all so we're not really sure what will hold his interest - we had a no-screen policy until he was two and he still sees very little stuff because hardly watch anything ourselves.

I expect that after 2 years of no screens, kid will be enraptured with the test pattern. Brightly colored interactive stuff is always a pretty good bet, there are tons of puzzle and dot to dot games you can get on any tablet device, though this is also where you'll find all the in-app purchase scamware that is free...unless your illiterate child presses the large attractive button, then it is 65$. If it is going to be 10+ hour hauls, you'll probably want to shell out for inflight internet, so you can always get something different when what you have runs dry.

Simple pong-like 2 player games will probably work and be interaction together. Read the kid stories. A good variety of carry-on snacks. Also don't be shy about taking the kid for a walk, or letting him pester the stewardesses. Not for long, but sometimes a little 2 minute visit to the flight steward station is enough to really break up the monotony for an hour or two.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Dandy Shrew posted:

I wasn't going to go either way, I just don't know how to tell them WHY without alienating myself further.

Lie about a prior engagement. "Sorry, Spacecamp" or "I'd love to, but Venus is in the house of the waxing moon, you know I can't travel". Lying to your family about why you don't want to see them is a time honored tradition. Telling antivaxers they are crazy just excites them, and it's not like the one study you e-mail them is going to even make a dent in the 24/7 bombardment of crazy and homeopathic healing MLM scams they marinate in.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

PapFinn posted:

My wife and I are expecting our first child in January. I'm not sure if we're getting to this late or not, but we are trying to nail down what we are going to do for childcare once her maternity leave is over. I've been reading some of the stuff from links in the OP, but I figured I would solicit any paractical examples from the parents in this thread.

In theory, I'd like to have my wife stay home with the baby. It would be awfully tight budget-wise and would require a better look at our finances. It wouldn't have been an option before she was pregnant, as she loved going in to work, but since being pregnant she's not as smitten with it. I don't think either of us know what she'll want to do when the time comes. She may go back to how she was or be even less inclined to continue.

We are going to check out some day care centers around us this week or next. No one puts tuition rates on their site, so I don't know what to expect beyond ranges from $3000 to $12000 annually.

Also, her job is not on a set schedule, so some weekdays she is home all day and others she works for 12 hours. I don't know if day care centers accommodate that and that would change the price or if it's just a monthly cost for as many days hours as you have your kid there.

I don't think in (our) home care is a financial possibility. Private daycare (in someone else's home) is supposedly cheapest, but I'm nervous about that after reading various horror stories of the terrible American day care situation.

This is getting long, but any advice, or tips, or lesson's learned or good links would be greatly appreciated.

Several things to consider, if money is tight enough, your state may have some sort of daycare-assistance program.
This is for Illinois: http://www.chasiccrr.org/index.phtml

Another thing to look at is check and see if your local university has a child care program. Both at MSU, and SIU, we got way better kid-care (with a big thick binder of metrics from the studies they are doing on the kiddos (academic/learning, not mutagens) for less than we would pay for KinderKare, or whatever the big low-end national outfit is. They also have a lower rate and preferred admission for enrolled students, so it isn't impossible that you would be money and life-experience ahead enrolling to take a night class to get the student rate.

Not as cheap as dropping them off in somebodies fenced back yard, but worth looking at...and worth getting application in early, because there is generally a years-long wait to get in. Again, being a student will help that.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 8, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Jastiger posted:

Its getting red on the eye lid where we never rub. You can see underneath that its a bit irritated too, and that is because any gunk that doesn't go to the inside eye area gets crusted around the outside underneath. But we never rub on the actual eye lid itself, yet look at how red that is. Right where the eyelid folds when her eye is open.

What is this? What can we put on it or do to make it less irritated. That has got to be a bit painful for her poor eye and I feel so bad because I don't know what to do:(

I'd probably make an appointment for that. If it is bacterial, then you need an antibiotic, if it is fungal, you need a fungicide, if it is just mechanical, then you might need some eyelid lube, but you don't want to guess wrong on that, so take it to a doctor.

I'd call for a walk-in tomorrow. It isn't something for the ER, is something you want to/can get on top of sooner rather than later, so call the shop in the morning and see if they can fit you in. They almost certainly can.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Ron Jeremy posted:

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but are there good social resources for stay at home dads? There's a moms club in the town where we live, but they don't allow dads. I do PTA stuff at school and am acquainted with other parents, but trying to get play dates is a bitch.

I didn't do a lot of playdate stuff when the kids were preschool. We went out walking in the woods a lot, went to lots of museums, learned to ride bikes, and did a lot of grocery shopping, and a lot of hanging out in the park playing monkeybars. My thing with playdates is that I don't really like talking to strangers, and it kinda sucks when your kids don't get along with their kids, but you like them, or vice versa.

If you live in a proper city, a museum membership is about the best money you can spend, and many museums have an attended child-play area where you can kinda put half an eyeball on your kid while kid does kid stuff with other kids, and you play with your phone with the other parents who are also only putting half an eyeball on their kid while they play with their phones.

The YMCA is a good bet, there is cheap childcare where they will meet other people in their age cohort, and you can have an hour or two to bust out some reps all by yourself with nobody asking you for anything.

Failing that, church is a sure thing, free daycare, people who pretty much have to be nice to you.

[edit]
wait, PTA. Your kid is in school? What do you need playdates for? Tell your kid to go out and see what the neighbors are up to. Sign up for ladybug soccer and lego league. There was a really good neighborhood gang here for about 4 years, with slightly older girl who would show up, collect 6-8 kids from the neighborhood, and do whatever kids do from after-homework till dinner. Was a shame when she moved, the gang still gets together, but I really got a kick out of a porch full of kids asking my kids out every day all summer.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 14, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
When I babysit, this is me. I put Tim in the front in a booster, even though he's small. (I have my passenger air bag disabled.) I always feel like a shitheel, but we literally live around the corner from the school, so at least it's only a 20 second ride.

In other news, yet again, we got to be "those parents" today. All the kindergarten classes put on a little musical performance today. Mother Goose rhymes and songs, with little hand motions. Cute stuff, right? Out of four classes, maybe 60 or so kids, guess who was the only kid who chose to spend the entire 20 minutes staring at the ceiling? Yeah. I even got to hear the grandparents behind me lament whoever was the parents of the little redhead who wasn't participating. :sigh: I don't even know what to do. Do I even do anything? The Mr. and I are just sad. This isn't the first time Tim's done this. In fact, he has done this every single time he's had a little show to do with school. I hate sitting there watching him fidget and do literally nothing while all the other kids are participating. It's every time. Just once, can I go and watch my kid do what he's supposed to? :(

I mostly just spend my time praying that they'll stick with the program, and not try to add their own 'improvements', or pick their noses when it isn't their turn.

Have you talked about why? Is it stage fright? longrunning artistic disagreement with the choir director?

I can respect not buying into/participating in enforced cuteness, especially since they are almost always over top of a prerecorded track, so it isn't even like I'm hearing the kids I know. Which makes it even more sad when people block the view of the people behind them to record lovely unwatched and unwatchable copies of it from the 30th row with an ipad.

I wonder if a sullen disengagement with assemblies at an early age means they'll have got tired of being too cool for it by high school and will decide to really put their bones into the performances at age 15.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

AlistairCookie posted:

Last night, I told him honestly that Daddy and I were a little sad and disappointed that he didn't want to sing any of the songs with his friends. That I had been really excited since he worked so hard practicing. He said he was looking up, waiting for it to be over, and that there were too many other parents there. Then he drew me a picture of the two of us in a big wobbly heart because I was sad. :3: I love him. I think it's just how he is. How much should I encourage him to try and participate? Should I just let it go? There will be one more at the end of the year.

Five more long years until performances are optional extracurricular activities!

Might be something to bring up with the teacher at p/t conferences. Find a not-on-stage part to participate in, maybe he can paint the backgrounds, or run the lights or something. Something he can be proud of, that doesn't involve standing in front of strangers or singing. Sounds like the kid is pretty dug in on not singing, at least this year, so maybe the three of you can come up with an alternative that will let him pull his weight and not get marked out and look like a jerk in front of all the other parents.

Obviously, you'll want to push him to get more comfortable with public performance at some point, at least to be able to make a powerpoint presentation, but that can wait till junior highschool, I think.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

oneliquidninja posted:

How do you guys' feel about forced apologies and putting things in your own words and forcing a kid to sign it even if they don't agree with it? To my wife and I it kinda feels like making the kid lie. Is it wrong for us to question a public school teacher's discipline strategy when it comes to our kids?

I also think that being able to put together a convincing and decent apology is an important and useful life skill. If the kid hosed up, then the kid ought to be able to explain the nature of the fuckup, apologise, and present a plan to not gently caress up that way in the future. When my kids get in trouble at school, we often have them write a note to the aggrieved party, be it playground kid, or substitute or whoever. It only costs them half an hour, they are likely to learn something from it, and generally they do a good job of it.

If your kid didn't gently caress up, then he either needs to convincingly explain that, and be willing to accept the consequences of intransigence (being right can suck), or decide that writing a half page and saying sorry isn't going to hurt, and just do that instead.

I have gone to war with the school administration over discipline in the past, successfully. But it isn't ever my first choice, and it was over a pretty seriously hosed up, extended, and counterproductive punishment, rather than over not wanting to write a 'sorry I was a little dickens' note.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

oneliquidninja posted:

From what we've been reading forced apologies interfere with a child's development of conflict resolution skills. It's a position my wife and I have just recently come too and have started working on in our own household. We certainly encourage the kids to apologize and do our best to explain how their actions hurt other people but we want them to empathize and genuinely ask for forgiveness rather than spouting out a half-assed apology to avoid consequences.

In the specific situation that's triggering all of this a girl and him got into a fight on the playground, she called him mean, he threatened her with violence. He felt justified though he apologized anyway (she called him mean first so in his mind he was defending himself). When he got home we explained to him that threats of violence aren't okay and asked if he had any idea what he did that led to her calling him mean (he didn't). (My wife and I believe this same girl has a crush on him so it may have been some elementary school flirting that just got out of hand).

The note thing was a previous incident. He had been disruptive in class and the teacher made him sign a note promising he would pay more attention or something along those lines. The teacher had written it out and made him sign it.

He's had a lot of discipline problems at school this year and no problems the year before. Some of which I'm sure is the fault of my wife and I working out our own issues but we also have some concerns about this teacher. The one time my wife and I met her she seemed very stand offish and judgemental. My stepson's dad was there as well. So our family dynamic isn't typical and I can't help but wonder if this woman's feelings towards non-traditional families isn't affecting the amount of patience she has for our son.

I realize we're probably being overly anal here but I guess we would just prefer he have consequences for his actions if they're not appropriate instead of someone putting words into his mouth or forcing him to say things he doesn't mean. Anyway my wife is pretty set on expressing our concerns with his teacher and I guess I'm mostly worried about backlash if the teacher doesn't take what we say as constructive criticism.

You'll definitely want to meet with the teacher, and get her side of things. Show up all involved parent and do the 'we understand our child is challenging, here is what has worked for us'. Teachers like that kind of thing. Even if you don't come to a meeting of the minds, just letting it be known that you aren't turning your wild child loose on her class without a care may have the teacher ease off a good deal. That has certainly been our experience.

I agree that getting kids to sign pre-typed confessions is weird. Telling teach that you wish that there were more connection and immediacy between infraction and correction would be a good suggestion, I think.

When the teacher was ratcheting up the pressure and putting weeks-long open ended punishments on my kid, we met with the principal and the teacher both, explained that punishing him tomorrow for what he hosed up a week ago is not going to be the way forward, since he wasn't learning anything from it, and wasn't ever going to be able to get out from under, the teacher got pulled up short by the principal, and everything got much better for everybody.

Again, in my experience, I've never had talking to a teacher result in upping the pressure on my kid.

You may also want to talk to the administrator and try to get him in the chillest next-years teachers class. They usually try to match teachers and kids, but a little extra nudge in that direction never hurts.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Rathina posted:

I'm looking for DVD recommendations that don't have a lot of previews on them. Grandmas car has a dvd player now, and I'd like for the kids to be able to watch some shows, but there is no menu/bypass button. The few dvd's we have (all Disney) have 10-15 minutes of previews that the kids don't want to sit through. I did pick up a package of leapfrog DVD's thinking they wouldn't have the previews either, but dang they also had 10 minutes of previews before the show started.

Preferably something educational, kids are 2 and 4.

Pretty sure the various BBC nature documentaries are better than most for that sort of thing. Go get a bunch of blue planet and life in the undergrowth and whatever else. Kids enjoy that sort of thing, they are low key and calming, and as long as it is a choice between the dulcet tones of David Attenborough talking about treefrogs, or nothing, rather than a choice between treefrogs and power rangers, they'll be pretty excited by the prospect of treefrogs.

Though we don't do electronics for around town driving, it is some useful enforced family time. We talk about school, and plans, and whatever we see on the road. For long hauls everybody can be deep into a tablet or movie, but if we're going to be in the car for less than an hour, we try to practice some conversation, or pre-game whatever event we are heading to.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My bigger concern is the car seat. We have one now, but it is massive ( I do not know if it will fit the car we rent) and he will have outgrown the infant seat as he is almost out of it now (30 lbs capacity my rear end). My wife does not want to rent one from the car agency. What do people do in this situation? I am also fearful that the airline will break the seat tossing it around in transit, or it will get lost, leaving us SOL in Rome. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge on this?

I'd go with one from the rental company, just to avoid the rear end-pain. I suppose you could buy one on the cheap for the baggage tossers, hope for the best, and just leave it on the way home. Considering the cost of an infant seat, even in euro moneys is going to be less than you spend on dinner for 4, it isn't going to be your biggest problem financially or logistically. Way cheaper than buying a whole seat on the plane for the tyke and his Hi-Tek Infant Protection System.

I'd probably also pick up a new-but-low-end umbrella stroller at your destination, rather than trying to get all that poo poo through baggage, and leave it at the gate when you fly home.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

I've seen both research and anecdotes that 2 is the hardest number. They will fight, they will suck time as if they were only children, they will have only-child expectations or tuition and cars, etc. etc.

If you are planning to keep on trucking, and have 3, or go all quiverfull on it, then expectations adjust, and the economies of scale kick in. Kid number 5 doesn't expect anything but hand-me-downs, and scholarships, because no way in gently caress is there money for college.

People with one kid are happy as hell. People with two kids are less happy, three kids, slightly more happy, after three it is pretty clear that baby-having is your raison d'etre, and more is better.

I've got two kids, and tenure/finance/threw away the diaper pail already tends to suggest that we are done at two. But if we had stayed in production, I think 3 would have not been _more_ work than two, because you plow all your time into 2 kids anyway, so it's not like there are more hours in the day, larger numbers of kids apparently learn to make do with the same number of hours split between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

High Lord Elbow posted:

My biggest fear is that she has my personality and will be misdiagnosed. Thoughts?

Well, till you are actually making IEPs in kindergarten, your kid isn't permanently marked out, and most of the therapeutic early-interventiony things they do with ASD kids are probably pretty good for neurotypical...or non-autistic atypical kids as well.

My younger kid was a gaze-avoiding weirdo early on, and grew out of it about three sessions in with the early-intervention people, who determined that he was probably only interaction-avoidant compared to his hyperactive talk a blue streak and pay-attention to me and my many many tricks big brother.