Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

davebo posted:

I feel like this thread used to regularly turn into potty training chat every two or three weeks but it seems like it's been a while so I'll just ask for a refresher on what the popular goon methods are. Our pediatrician had said to wait until 3 because boys tend to learn later, and I had him using the potty now and then before 2.5 but once the weather is warm enough soon (just so he can run around naked if he needs to because isn't that one of the methods?) I'd like to try in earnest since he turns 3 early May. I'm with him all day every day so if I have to shadow him naked staring at his dong for the moment pee starts I can do that, although I hope that's not necessary.

We started putting our daughter into undies at 2 years, and then went into a cycle of explaining to her that she shouldn’t pee anywhere than in the bathroom, cleaning up the puddles and waiting for success.
Nothing much seemed to take for two weeks or so, so we staged an intervention weekend, where we watched her like hawks, made sure she drank plenty, asked her every few minutes if she needed to go to the toilet, brought her to the toilet every hour, ran her to the bathroom if an accident happened, and reinforced progress with a sweet (think a gummy bear) and stickers - a sweet for going to the toilet willingly, a sticker if anything made it into the toilet).

She’s 2.2 now, and about 70% day trained. Accidents happen if she’s too engaged with an activity, and we still make sure to ask her if she wants to go / make sure she goes at least every 1.5 hrs or so.
Occasionally, she does a power pose if she has to go, comes to us, or goes by herself. Sweets and stickers still apply.

Overall, I’m happy with the progress. There’s also a ton of stuff going on, from a recent newborn that mixes things up, to regular trips where we put pull-ups on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Besides the obvious, gut level, knee jerk reaction of "you're putting your child in someone else's car" what are the pros and cons of hiring someone to drive your kid to daycare, is this even something you can pay someone to do? Both parents have really packed work schedules and it's 30+ minutes each way to drop off the kid in the morning and this new arrangement is not working for us, we're missing our important meetings in the mornings etc

At least for Lyft and Uber, they don’t allow unaccompanied minors iirc.
Source: stumbled over a post a few weeks back where a driver was ranting about how people don’t understand they are not allowed to take unaccompanied minors, but a casual google search seems to confirm that

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

life is killing me posted:

Any ideas for a 4 year old (still pooping his pants) who has diarrhea that is causing his bottom to get so irritated that he won’t let us touch him to wipe him? He was screaming last night and I have no idea what to do beyond letting him go all night with a poopy butt, which will only defer the eventual need to deal with it and also will cause his bottom to feel even worse. Won’t take diaper cream, won’t let us wipe, wash, nothing. Don’t want to trick him because then he certainly won’t let us, ever again, and would like to avoid holding him down while the other parent wipes him against his will.

Gentle rinse in the shower? Luke-warm bath?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Jumpsuit posted:

My 22-month-old did a front flip off the couch this morning and hosed up the landing to the extent that she fractured her elbow. Cast for the next three weeks. At least it's winter so we can get by with skipping baths here and there...

I was wondering how fractures happen the other day, seeing as our toddler seems to be Terminator material as far as I’m concerned (not sure if T-800 or T-1000 for that matter).

Except potential skull fractures, I suppose. The noggin seems neither indestructible, nor overly flexible.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Slaan posted:

Whelp, her water broke. No contractions though. Docs say it's a toss up if baby makes it to the magic 23 weeks or not. No uterine sac makes infections more likely. So she's stuck in the hospital until baby dies or her body forces baby out or baby reaches viability.

gently caress

I just read through your post history; Im incredibly sorry for everything you and your wife are going through.

Our newborn ended up in NICU for 2 weeks back in March; my wife stayed in the hospital 24/14, while I got to work full-time while looking after the 2 year old. And I thought that was stressful.
Seems like a walk in the park relative to your situation.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Nobody should be subjected to what you had to go through. Hope mum and you recover, both physically and mentally.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Sooo, anyone have any luck with finding a source for the pediatric COVID vaccine for <5 yet? Our pediatrician’s practice was like “nuh?”, and I’m not seeing the option on e.g. the Walgreens website yet. I thought the distribution was supposed to be in full swing.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

remigious posted:

I’m sorry to be a downer but I need some perspective… how the gently caress do you feel with people that insist that climate change is going to kill us all in 30 years and it’s irresponsible to have kids? How do you not also succumb to that way of thinking :smith:

Prepare. Give your kids every advantage you can. We’ve been lucky enough to arrange for them to have continent-spanning nationalities for high mobility.
Everything we do at this stage is geared towards securing the little critters, and to preserve/acquire assets that they can fall back on when things get worse. Kind of like prepping, but along a generational axis?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Our 2.5 year old daughter got her first Pfizer shot yesterday. Judging by today, there was a mixup and they shot her up with Amphetamine.
In seriousness though, zero side effects.

Next shot on 7/14

Fuckall kids getting the shot though judging by the clinic, and we’re in Denver.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

kecske posted:

my kid (2.5) took to peeing on the potty no problem, but pooping is a whole other thing. he just seems totally fine with crapping his pants and demanding a change instead.

Same. We’ve maybe had 3 instances where she went proactively, plus a few coincidences where she pooped while on the toilet. This too, will pass.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

Some of the older folks I work with have been continuously horrified when Ive discussed parenting with them over the 2 years of my kids life so far

You don't put cereal in the bottle :eyepop:
You don't let him chew on chicken bones :pirate:
You don't spank him :aaa:
You don't keep him away from screens at all times :wtc:
You don't ignore all his feelings :am:

Jesus Christ this.

We had my mother over from Europe a few months back, and it got to the point where our then 2.25 year old daughter didn’t want to do anything with her - because apparently my mum thinks kids don’t deserve to have feelings or preferences, and can just be ridden roughshod over. The suggestion to spank her also came up.
Between outdated ideas and bad recall / wishful thinking, I basically don’t feel like I can leave my mother unsupervised with our daughter.

The best example was toilet training - apparently, I made like Athena and sprung fully-formed from my mother’s body, penis in hand, and walked over to the next toilet to take a piss. Fully toilet trained by ~18 or so months, maybe earlier.
Our daughter was in the middle of training. About a 70% hit rate on peeing, 1% on pooping. My mother suggested spanking our daughter for pooping herself as matter of course.
Now she’s 2.5 years old and 99% on peeing and approaching 99% on pooping. Obviously, physical punishment would have made this significantly better. WTF

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Muir posted:

I bought a kid's Fire tablet last Black Friday, thinking at the very least it would be a cheap way to stream downloaded videos on long car rides. I regret spending even the sale price amount of money. It is hot garbage and bad even at running Amazon's own Prime Video app. I'd recommend getting a real Android or iPad tablet if you can at all manage it. Or if not, just use your phone.

Our daughter sunk the ancient iPad Air 2 the other day, so I figured we’d try a Fire tablet - absolute, horrific garbage, and I have no idea how people manage the content. You’d an basically only deactivate classes of content, or deactivate content by keyword.

Bought a refurb 2018 iPad off Amazon: allowed two apps only. Done. Super clean, 100% control, other than having to block the never ending sequence of Coco Melon channels on YouTube Kids.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Sarah posted:

Ok I feel so much better now about people around me telling me I need to hit my kid. Glad I’m not alone in that.

Since telling my coworker I’m close with about my struggles she’s been pointing me towards articles about raising strong willed children and I’ve learned a lot. Most things we already do like let her explore on her own and learn things herself as long as her life isn’t in danger. Going to link a few to family next time they want me to beat on my kid.

There was a good paper review on a podcast the other day. Basically, less punishment is less damaging than more punishment, but still more damaging than no punishment:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...UEegQIDRAT&ep=6

(Serious Inquiries Only 332)

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Dobbs_Head posted:

Thanks for posting that. I was aware that physical punishments were detrimental, but I was unaware that they are also totally ineffective at achieving any of the desired outcomes. That’s a abysmal set of statistics. I thought there might some edge cases where physical intervention to secure compliance might be a good idea. But nope, never.

I’ll need to repeat that to myself next time my 3 year old decides to be totally defiant with that poo poo-eating-grin she has managed to perfect.

That’s how I felt about it. I am generally very much opposed to physical punishment, but classic and operating conditioning are key convictions of mine in terms of how people modify their behavior

Learning that no, there really isn’t any instance where the outcome was positive was a nice attitude adjuster for me.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

pinarello dogman posted:

Any advice for dealing with a 4-week old that will not sleep in a crib/bassinet? My wife and I are currently sleeping in shifts, as he will only sleep while being held or in a swing.

Figure out how to stabilize yourself, so you strike a balance between sleeping and not turning.

Our daughter would sleep best on my chest, and only wake up to feed with that arrangement. Luckily, I don’t move while sleeping, and can sleep well when slightly elevated. So I slept like a goddamn pharaoh for the first few months, with our firstborn clasped securely in my hands

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'd like to see some calculation comparing the economic efficiency between this large-scale tax-financed daycare system and the de-centralized chaos I see described ITT from time to time.
How much is the average American paying for daycare, and what would have been the cost per taxpayer if it were financed with taxes?

We’re currently paying about $1500 for our 2.75 year old, and $1700 for the 7 month old for private Montessori childcare.

To give you an idea relative to taxpayer-funded daycare, the school district we’re looking to move to has ‘state’ Pre-K starting at 3 years for $850 - so almost half of the $1500 we’re paying for the toddler now.
I’m assuming the $850 is subsidized to some extent, e.g. the fixed cost like the building will probably be funded through the local property tax, and the $850 pays for the direct cost (teacher salaries etc.).

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

My son is a few months over two and is already a friggin expert at using our phones to see/hear what he wants, try as we might to prevent it. I just ordered a Fire HD 10 kids tablet in the hopes of disabling all bloatware and simply using it as a curated media library for him. (And a paint program probably!) Anyone have any luck wrangling one of these into simply functioning as an offline media library?

Nope. Tried a Fire earlier this year and found the content management system to be complete and utter garbage, as it’s ‘always-on’ by default, and you have to block the apps you don’t want within the age category. The only way I found to curate stuff 100% would have meant that I’d have to block apps via search, i.e. search for all apps containing (aa; ab; ac…zz) and block them, and then exclude the apps I want from that filter. It went back within 48 hours.

I bought a refurb 2018 or so iPad for marginally more than a Fire, installed YT Kids and PBS, as well as a ‘hidden’ Netflix, and we’re set. Now I only have to keep blocking all the Cocomelon and Pawpatrol channels and assorted clones that keep popping up on YT.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

I remember a few people in this thread saying they bought Amazon’s fire tablet and wish they had just gotten an iPad. We are wondering what you all think the best tablet you’ve gotten for your little kids has been? At least for right now, we are most concerned with something we can put a bunch of videos on and not have to rely on streaming, and maybe a few simple kids games she can mess with by just mashing shapes or whatever on the screen. Thoughts?

Bought a fire, returned it within 24 hrs and bought a refurbished iPad. You can micromanage available / visible apps on the iPad.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Alarbus posted:

Anyway, daughter went to children's hospital on Sunday, got released after a few hours with RSV diagnosis. Went back this morning and on IV and oxygen. 🙁

No pneumonia, but her breathing isn't good. Gonna keep worrying and stressing but not letting it affect our son.

We went through this twice with our daughter when she was just around 2 years old. The suctioning is heartbreaking, but she bounced right back after a day or so.

We had her on daily Flovent and emergency Albuterol for about a year afterwards, then stopped when she showed no signs of needing it.

Popped the Albuterol again this week, because her class in daycare had two kids with pneumonia and one kid in ICU due to RSV. So when she started running a fever and breathing >40x per minute at age 2.8ish, we went right back to the previous treatment regime, and she bounced right back again.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

My sister in law suprised us coming home from the hospital by dumping glitter on us. It's a very specific kind of glitter, like chopped up scraps from making big glossy HAPPY BIRTHAY signs you hang on the wall. Anyways, moved cross-country and two years later we are STILL finding that poo poo everywhere.

Pretty sure that’s a war crime, actually. I take it you moved cross-country to get a way from that lunatic?

On a similar note, our daughter’s speech therapist brought kinetic sand for a session a month ago. Still finding that poo poo everywhere, too.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Has baby gate technology advanced to the point where you don't need two perfectly flat vertical surfaces in order to mount one? Our son recently discovered the wonders of stairs, and our stairs to the second floor have an exposed brick wall on one side and a railing on the other, neither of which seems like the best surface for securely placing a gate. Any ideas?

E: now with a handy picture. Very similar setup at the top of the stairs too-

This is what we got, for a similar setup: wall on the left, wall with railing on the right. As long as the gap is wide enough, I don’t see why it would not install against the wall/railing:

https://www.amazon.com/Tokkidass-Safety-Doorways-Extension-Pressure/dp/B083HWDH7H

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hadlock posted:

When youtube plays a full screen ad for ~15 seconds does the screen go black or, does it just somehow skip over that? $15 is kind of steep but also not ridiculously high since we don't have cable

No ads. Zero. Silch. Ever. I’m at the point where I’m shocked to see ads when I’m not logged in on a device, because I completely forgot Youtube had any.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

sheri posted:

Ugh what a crappy situation.

I would say, firmly but kindly, no, my wife is not a bad mom and we don't talk like that about others here. And if she continues, remove the kids from that space every time. They absolutely should not hear her talk about mom that way.

Yes, it might hurt her feelings but since you are putting up a reasonable, respectful boundary then that's for her to process and work through.

This. Embrace the conflict, establish boundaries. Don’t be a dick about it.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Alterian posted:

It's been a long few days. I had to tell my 10 and almost 5 year old we had to put our cat down while they were asleep.

Eh. If we didn’t have to pay for childcare any more, I’d probably post it every time it crossed my mind.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Kind of proud of our 3.5 year old daughter today.

She tends to latch on to her toy du jour, keeps carrying around with her, takes it to bed etc.

Well, we went to the zoo today, and she picked a flamingo fridge magnet. Once home, she’d alternate between putting it on the fridge, taking it off, and so on.
A bit later, she’s distracted by some toys, then gets a hold of the iPad. Eventually, she walks up to the fridge and ‘fingo is gone! Queue some searching and some crying, and gnashing of teeth, and some fearful moments on our part that this will be a massive drama. Yet after a while, she started to accept that ‘fingo was gone…?!?

Everything was fine by the time we went upstairs and prepped for bed. An occasional mention of ‘fingo being lost was made, but the statements came with full acceptance. Dodged a bullet there.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Olanphonia posted:

Having videos to look back on was really nice as I got older after losing my dad as a little kid. Just some slice of life stuff that gives a picture to your adult kids of how you were and what your relationship was like from a sort of objective viewpoint, if that makes sense.

Seconding the video. If you want to go elaborate, a video series with your thoughts for when they hit different ages?

Letters, ideally handwritten. I still have the letters that my grandma got from her dad when he was in Auschwitz. Granted, different context, but he was living on borrowed time, too.

Tom from the Dear Old Dads podcast has a series of philosophical blog posts for his kids, explaining his thoughts on various subjects, e.g. friendship, relationships, love, etc.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Savings Clown posted:

What's a good TV show for a (very sensitive, can't handle anything remotely "scary") six year old. She has been a big fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, enoyed some Bluey when we had Disney+ and has currenly been watching quite a lot of Sesame Street. I've grown to hate Elmo, and think it's time she watched more stuff with, you know, a story. There are things I've heard of that are supposedly good, (Adventure Time?) but I've no idea what age they're pitched at.

If anyone says Paw Patrol I'm coming to your house.

Puffin Rock is pretty good in every respect: art style, characters, story. Should be on Netflix.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What aspect of Bluey did you object to?

Regarding Peppa Pig, I don’t approve of their gender stereotyping. But from that particular perspective, I think Bluey does pretty well except that Dad seems to be the only one with a job. (At least, I never saw Chili refer to her job at all.) Bandit participates extremely actively in the parenting and seems to prioritize spending a lot of time with the kids on days off.

Same. There’s a “Stumpfest” episode where Bandit lets the kids apply makeup to himself and his mates have to get their finger and toenails painted, and then they just keep the makeup/paint on and continue working in the yard.

Must’ve broken some brains.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Gophermaster posted:

A long time ago we gave up on having infants sleep by themselves and starting co sleeping until they were ready for the crib. SIDS is massively overblown when you look at how the studies are structured and we slept way better.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2065975/

This. Our daughter slept on my chest, was passed over to my wife for feeding, then passed back to continue sleeping on my chest. For months (she was tiny when she was born).
I also don’t move while asleep, so your mileage may vary. But at some stage, you gotta weight the risk of controlled, drug-free co-sleeping vs. the risks from long-term sleep deprivation.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah I guess 1.5 is just between the "carry them around anywhere" stage and later being able to make short hikes around a caldera. A 4-year old would be another proposition.

I carried my 1.5 year old around a bit in a rucksack-like deal but I wouldn't take her for longer strolls unless you're pretty fit.
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-baby-carrier-backpacks-hiking

If you've got a stroller-napper, it's not infeasible to a picnic in some botanical garden, I guess? I see there are several around Honolulu. They usually have stroller-friendly paths.

This. We climbed a 14er in CO with our daughter on my back when she was 18 months old or so. Never mind all the other hikes all across CO, UT and AZ - 1-2 every weekend at minimum.
Two years later, we still hike every weekend; my wife carrying the 21 month old and me the soon-to-be 4 year old once she gets tired.

Our daughter conks out reliably in the backpack to this day - next to the bed, it’s the 2nd most frequented sleeping spot for her. Now that she’s more self-reflective, she actually looks forward to her nap in the backpack - and you better believe there’s no chance she’d nap on a weekend otherwise.

We have an Osprey Poco and Deuter Kid comfort active. The Osprey is better suited to mountain climbing and distributes the weight better. The Deuter offers easier ingress and egress and packs down better, but feels more light duty. They are both solid choices, but I personally prefer the Osprey.

Having kids in no way or shape limits the amount of hiking (and camping) you can do.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

D-Pad posted:

drat my wife is out of town until Monday and the grandparents took both kids for the weekend. I have been looking forward to time off for a while but actually I hate it. It's too quiet and I just miss everybody. It turns out I actually thrive on the chaos, I need it. When they move out it's really going to suck.

That’s just a form of PTSD. Like WWI veterans that couldn’t sleep without constant artillery shelling.

Food chat: rice with bachan sauce is about the only food that’s not been rejected so far. Our rice consumption is approaching that of an average Japanese family these days. We’re Euros.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Make sure to check the country of origin of your rice and look up what the environmental situation is with farming over there. Not for global warming reasons but heavy metal reasons. There is some nasty things going on with rice agriculture.

From what I recall Indonesian rice is the least bad right now. You want to stay well away from Chinse or Indian. I think Brazilian was OK? Look around, I've just got Indonesian slotted in my head as the one to buy. You'll find a lot of stuff about arsenic, but it's also cadmium, chromium, cobalt, and lead that you need to be concerned with.

Those are all not great if you're an adult, but they're extra bad if you have a developing nervous system.

Thanks for the PSA; any thoughts on CA?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Sweet Gulch posted:

Does anyone have some good book/series suggestions for a 9-year-old voracious reader? He's just about done Redwall. All of it. When we were on vacation for a week he read 3.5 of the Silverwing books and matched me in total pages read. Only real stipulation is that he cannot stand zombies.

A long, long time ago, I used to binge on the “Three Investigators” around that age https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Investigators

Ofc, it’s set in the 70s/80s.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Yup. Just came back from a trip to China with zero issues, only to be welcomed to a household with a stomach bug. Wife was throwing up on the hour all of yesterday, I felt like rear end starting yesterday noon, and have the runs now.

Kids? Mildly off, no vomiting or diarrhea.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

And in breaking news: the little one (21 months) just shat in the jacuzzi during bath time, and the daycare fed them corn by the looks of it.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

nachos posted:

Every generation has its stupid baby advice in hindsight and my hot take is that we’ve done the opposite of boomers and made it as hard as loving possible to raise kids between the insistence on breastfeeding and “back to sleep” because of SIDS fears.

I’ve convinced myself that SIDS is a late-stage capitalism ‘disorder’ that largely affects poor people. Digging into the stats seems to support that impression, but it’s not like I have time to run models.
It’s never been a topic in Europe when we still lived there, and I’m kind of curious to see if it has changed. But that impression has just reinforced my take that SIDS happens to overworked and overstressed folk who medicate / take drugs.

Similarly, I don’t get having kids sleep in their own bed at a young age. It feels profoundly off “anthropologically” if that makes sense? But then, lots of things that humans did for (tens of) thousands of years were.
I’ve been unable to find good research on this topic, but it feels like we as a society could be causing systemic psychological harm to our children.

On a more upbeat note, the malleability of children doesn’t cease to amaze me. Our daughter got a random unicorn plushie for her 4th birthday that happens to look like a character in a series of Polish children’s books that deal with emotions.
I grabbed one of the books that happened to deal with anger, and we read about how that unicorn sometimes feels angry, and how they deal with anger - basically by doing a breathing exercise.
That evening, she gets upset at her younger brother, and I remind her of her unicorn friend. We do the breathing exercise, and she goes “much better now”.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

Is this series available in English and if so what is it called?

So turns out, it’s French. The author is Aurélie Chien Chow Chine, and the series is called “Little Unicorn”, in Polish “Uczucia Gucia” (Gucio’s feelings)

Exhibit 1 re anger in English: https://a.co/d/2F2TblU

And in Polish: https://www.empik.com/uczucia-gucia-jestem-zly-chien-aurelie-chine-chow,p1221907303,ksiazka-p

EDIT:

For us, safety is an exercise in total system optimization: there’s no point in maximizing a theoretical sleep safety number, only to crash the car the next time you drive because you’ve also maximized your degree of sleep deprivation. Or let the baby grab a knife because you were too tired/slow to react.
You expose the child to risk all the time. Those of us who had small children as Covid started literally had to sit down and plot out the area under the limits imposed by income risk / health risk / developmental risk / etc.

morothar fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 22, 2024

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Yeah, at some point my wife agreed to take over all overnight duties (not in the newborn stage, much more recently when he sleeps through most of the night) because I just wasn't coping well with switching off every other day and going to work. I am good with diapers and bathtime and tasks that require energy and struggle, but sleep difficulties are harder for me and don't seem to bother her as much. My mother-in-law watches him during the weekdays and gets up early with him, and my wife felt like it was a fair trade if I just take the mornings on weekends and other days she's out. I just try go to bed earlier on those days and she gets to sleep in, and she's good with that.

I actually don't think I have it hard at all for a parent, but considering how many things still feel difficult, I genuinely can't imagine being in a one-mom family with an unsupportive male partner and surviving it. I see a lot of moms in that boat and even one kid takes so much teamwork to not just survive it, but actually do the things everyone asks of you.

Towards the end of our latest family trip over to Europe, I thought I had a bona fides heart attack.
Turns out, it was a panic attack from taking on too much during our vacation: shared equally in the parenting load, but was basically the sole driver as we were going all over the country. Additionally, I took our daughter on a trip over to the continent - which involved 2x sole-parent flights and 12 hours of driving in continental Europe over two days.

I used to be so impervious to sleep deprivation and stress that my wife’s comment after the cardiologist visit back in the states was “congrats, turns out you’re human”

Watch yourselves y’all. Also, single parents, I have no idea how they do it.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

gbut posted:

Same. Though if I had any size concerns I'd probably get something like this

This is what we had in the go bag for travel. It’s great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

oh good another piece of Amazon plastic trash I can look forward to entering my home in a year or so

my wife: "This house is so cluttered"
also my wife: "Can you run down and pick up the 7 Amazon packages from today, and drop off all the broken-down Amazon boxes from yesterday's delivery while you're at it?"

no inconvenience is so slight that somebody hasn't made an injection-molded "solution", shipped to your door for $8.99

That’s capitalism, baby!

On a related note, we also had a small sit-down potty in the footwell of the car, and ended up using it a good few times even after our daughter was toilet trained. You can stop anywhere, set up the small potty behind the car, and go to town.