Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
If you enlisted and have some crazy tattoos that are a no-go these days, can you re-up or will the military decline your continued service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

I'm not sure how that's being approached in the real Army. I'd imagine people are grandfathered, but if you're seriously considering staying in, I'd probably try to get them cleaned up before you start competing for E7 and need a DA Photo, but that's just me and I'm not a SNCO so

edit: And they could do a bar to reenlistment, and that would get so many people out too

Just curious. I'm not in the military but was just wondering. Also, there's a lot of talk in this thread about not enlisting if you have a degree, but what if your GPA was loving poo poo and you can just barely pass PT qualifications, and nowhere near a 300? WHAT THEN SERGEANT SMARTYPANTS?!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Our Gay Apparel posted:

There was a guy in my unit who attempted suicide in basic, and he got his TS/SCI. I don't think depression is a certain disqualification.

How did some guy attempt suicide in Basic and not get tossed out?!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

It's possible he can get a clearance, buy I very strongly doubt it. Can't hurt to try though. Just don't lie!

Just outta curiosity, if your therapist has put you on antidepressants as a teenager, how does the military find out? Do they pull your records, or is it just something they ask people when they do their background check?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

nuncle jimbo posted:

Don't a lot of 18x people have degrees? What's their deal?

Yeah. The two Green Berets I know both have Masters Degrees in loving Awesome.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Just outta curiosity, I know GiP tries to dissuade those with degrees from enlisting. But what about the guy who has a degree in Dutch Literature, with a 2.5 GPA from U of Phoenix? This guy isn't going to get a commission.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

vacation in kabul posted:

Right, but if you can't get a commission you shouldn't be looking at the military if you have a college degree.

What should he be looking at, then?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I want to go into the Navy as a nurse.

Are you already an RN or are you talking about becoming a corpsman?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Can one join the Navy if you're not Filipino? :v:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

and sending morose code and what not.

Morose code...the most melancholy of all our codes.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
How does someone get to become a recruiter? Do you elect to do it, or are you assigned to the duty? My dad recruited for the Army in the mid-80s and genuinely seemed to hate it.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
I know its not badass like DELTA FORCE or anything, but someone was asking me about Air Force Pararescue. Since this has turned to SF chat, can anyone tell me about doing that?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Marine Corps is the only branch of the U.S. Armed Forces that recruits people specifically to Fight. The Army emphasizes personal development (an Army of One), the Navy promises fun (let the journey begin), the Air Force offers security (its a great way of life).Missing from all the advertisements is the hard fact that a soldier's life is to suffer and perhaps to die for his people and take lives at the risk of his/her own.Even the thematic music of the services reflects this evasion. The Army's Caisson Song describes a pleasant country outing. Over hill and dale, lacking only a picnic basket. Anchors Aweigh...the Navy's celebration of the joys of sailing could have been penned by Jimmy Buffet. The Air Force song is a lyric poem of blue skies and engine thrust. All is joyful, and invigorating, and safe. There are no land mines in the dales nor snipers behind the hills, no submarines or cruise missiles threaten the ocean jaunt, no bandits are lurking in the wild blue yonder.The Marines' Hymn, by contrast, is all combat. "We fight our Country's battles," "First to fight for right and freedom," "We have fought in every clime and place where we could take a gun," "In many a strife we have fought for life and never lost our nerve."The choice is made clear. You may join the Army to go to adventure training, or join the Navy to go to Bangkok, or join the Air Force to go to computer school.You join the Marine Corps to go to War!

Stop a soldier on the street and ask him to name a battle of World War One. Pick a sailor at random and ask for a description of the epic fight of the Bon Homme Richard. Ask an airman who Major Thomas McGuire was and what is named after him. I am not carping and there is no sheer in this criticism. All of the services have glorious traditions but no one teaches the young soldier, sailor or airman what his uniform means and why he should be proud of it.But...ask a Marine about World War One and you will hear of the wheat field at Belleau Wood and the courage of the Fourth Marine Brigade comprised of the Fifth and Sixth Marines. Faced with an enemy of superior numbers entrenched in tangled forest undergrowth the Marines received an order to attack that even the charitable cannot call ill-advised. It was insane. Artillery support was absent and air support hadn't been invented yet. Even so the Brigade charged German machine guns with only bayonets, grenades, and an indomitable fighting spirit. A bandy-legged little barrel of a Gunnery Sergeant, Daniel J. Daly, rallied his company with a shout, "Come on you sons a *****es, do you want to live forever?" He took out three machine guns himself.French liaison-officers hardened though they were by four years of trench bound slaughter were shocked as the Marines charged across the open wheat field under a blazing sun directly into the teeth of enemy fire. Their action was so anachronistic on the twentieth-century field of battle that they might as well have been swinging cutlasses. But the enemy was only human. The Boche could not stand up to the onslought.So the Marines took Belleau Wood. The Germans, those that survived, thereafter referred to the Marines as "Tuefel Hunden" (Devil Dogs) and the French in tribute renamed the woods "Bois de la Brigade de Marine" (Woods of the Brigade of Marines).Every Marine knows this story and dozens more. We are taught them in boot camp as a regular part of the curriculum. Every Marine will always be taught them! You can learn to don a gas mask anytime, even on the plane in route to the war zone, but before you can wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and claim the title United States Marine you must first know about the Marines who made that emblem and title meaningful. So long as you can march and shoot and revere the legacy of the Corps you can take your place in line.

A soldier wears branch of service insignia on his collar, metal shoulder pins and cloth sleeve patches to identify his unit. Sailors wear a rating badge that identifies what they do for the Navy. Marines wear only the Eagle, Globe and Anchor together with personal ribbons and their CHERISHED marksmanship badges. They know why the uniforms are the colors they are and what each color means. There is nothing on a Marine's uniform to indicate what he or she does nor what unit the Marine belongs to. You cannot tell by looking at a Marine whether you are seeing a truck driver, a computer programmer or a machine gunner or a cook or a baker. The Marine is amorphous, even anonymous, by conscious design. The Marine is a Marine.Every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost, a Marine first, last and Always!

This is the best thing I've ever read in this thread.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Smoke Crack posted:

If AD will pay you more than a civilian RN gig you're doing it wrong.

I'm an LVN in the Bay Area making almost $30/hr at a substandard nursing home. It looks like an O2 grosses about $3314/mo. Giving another $1000 for BAH, that's $4313/mo as an RN. Not exactly sure how the taxes work out but that's about what I make. Once I'm an RN my salary could double.

Then again, the Bay Area probably pays nurses more than just about anywhere else in America. So if the OP is working some lovely SNF in Alabama, joining the Navy might pay more. Especially if it pays off loans for nursing school. But now I'm just speculating.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

I'm in Florida where unions are an unknown entity and RNs make about 40k to start. I make about 42k, my wife with 3yrs experience makes about 48k. Plus with the school loans, its an embarrassing amount that we owe. The nursing market is saturated everywhere and they're being very picky.

Out here every nurse is in a union and we make bank. Then again we have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to live here, but...yeah. I think the hospitals here pay RNs upwards of $60/hr, as well. Sometimes more.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

pkells posted:

I have heard though that eating 20mg of lisinopril beforehand can help with that. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard it from multiple people who were scheduled for flight physicals, so YMMV \/:)\/

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Serious question: why do you want to work in a mortuary for the military?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Why is it so hard to go from the reserves to active duty?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

Have you considered USMC infantry? Lower enlisted will never have to touch powerpoint and by the time your 4 years are up you can re-test that engineering market with professional badass at the top of your employment history.

Genuinely not trying to troll but why do people enlist in non-combat arms fields in the Marines? What's the appeal of being a USMC human resources guy, or finance person? Is so one can say for the rest of one's life that you're a Marine, or something else?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

the posted:

So I feel like there's a lot of joking going on, I mean that's cool and all but seriously:

a. I'm obviously too old to enter into some sort of basic training thing, right?

b. What does the Navy Intelligence field involve beyond power points?

You know the military WILL make you fly, and no, you don't get 10 Ativan to do so, right? The military may not be the best choice for someone who has crippling panic attacks. But it's your life....

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

RiffRoff posted:

Hey there. I'll start off by saying I have not talked to a recruiter yet.

I'm a 25 year old male paramedic who has been working in emergency medical services for 4 years in a large city. My long term goal is to become a Physician Assistant (PA) and I've been told that I can accomplish that through the corpsman track in the Navy (getting to E5 and being able to become an independent duty corpsman apparently gives you a ton of credits towards your PA?) Joining the military has always been in the back of my mind and I've been seriously considering it for a few months now. I grew up in a Marine Corps family.

My main question is, what is the likelihood I'll be able to do emergency medicine as a corpsman? I looked at the Navy website and it seems there are a LOT of hospital jobs and I don't want to get stuck on land. I love emergency medicine (it's what I'll want to pursue as a PA as well), but I don't want to be miserable for years as a corpsman if I get stuck doing something painfully boring.

I apologize if this is worded weird, I just got off a 16 hour shift and go back in for another in a few hours.

Nurse here: if your goal is to be a PA, you WILL need a B.S. I don't believe there are anymore undergrad programs for PAs still in the U.S. You would be better off going to get your BSN (or, really, almost any science degree. But working as an RN will look better on your app to P.A. school than your degree in Marine Biology.) Once you have your BSN, the military will accept you as an officer as a nurse. I don't know the details of this, but I believe there is some education reimbursement available - someone more knowledgable than me will chime in on this. But really, once you have your BSN the military is only good if you need to pay for school. If you don't, being a corpsman won't help you out at all. Its actually a step down from paramedic.

Good luck!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Can we move this thread to E/N because people asking for advice on joining the military always post the saddest vignettes of life imaginable.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

So when you guys jerk off in front of the mirror do you make eye contact with yourself or do you stare into your own rear end in a top hat from between your legs?

The military is for gently caress ups and retards. If you're about to be homeless, you're probably one or the other.
Give it a shot, it's easy money and free college.

Autofellatio.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Victor Vermis posted:

Of the people I knew who couldn't hack it in the military (whether because they were a drug addict, murderer, or so irreparably hosed up from childhood that they were immune to military programming like "occasionally wash yourself and your clothes" or "don't steal from co-workers") 100% of them would be better off eating a bullet.

But yeah, I'm sure if they avoided the military in the first place and instead just did something, anything, they could have been getting paid to go to school by a civilian employer.

Doing four years is not the end of anyone's world- especially if they're already aware that their next four+ years is going to be poo poo.

It would be one thing if the stories in this thread went along the lines of this: "Hey I'm 19 and graduated high school a few months ago. I don't have the money to pay for college, so the GI Bill looks like something good. What's the best way to get the GI Bill without having my life suck for four years."

Instead they're usually: "Guys I'm 34, suffer from crippling anxiety, and became addicted to opioids after taking them following the spinal surgery that left my unable to turn my head left. My girlfriend and son just moved in with another guy. I figure the Army is a good way to straighten up my life. I signed up to be a Laundry Technician for six years because my recruiter said I can make six figures a year doing this after the military. I ship out in a week. VALIDATE MY QUESTIONABLE LIFE CHOICE!"

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
The loaded gun thing is in response to Ceros saying treat all guns as loaded, followed by another goon typing in ALL CAPS that was wrong and guns are always loaded.

Those of you who had "unloaded" guns pointed at you were around dipshits who didn't follow the other three gun safety rules.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I think you meant to post this in the gun sperg forum.

Yes I did. No idea how I quoted it and it wound up in this thread. I think the iOS awful app is being goofy.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
What do you hope to get out if military service that you can't get out if civilian?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

So... I just decided to look in to the Navy Reserve because my job sucks and learning something new seemed good. I got a 97/99 in the test today. I dont even know were to begin to narrow down what I should look at.
So my question is... Is anybody unhappy with a field they went into? Anything I should pass up as full of poo poo even if it sounds good? I'm considering MA due to some police academy schooling but thats about all I got so far. Not interested in anything HSLD/combat oriented. I'm giving some sort of trade be it electrical or mechanical a thought as something that would help me outside.

Become a nurse, dude. ;)

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Good luck Lingcodkilla. Keep me updated, dude. :)

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Got my physical on Friday. My biggest concern? Toenail fungus. I'm toast aren't I?

I refuse to believe that's the only place your body has fungus. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
How does the military know if you've had undisclosed medical issues? If I lie about the time I went to San Francisco General to get a coconut gently removed from my rear end in a top hat, will the military be able to find out and ruin my chances of that sweet 92S gig?

• Locked thread