Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I assume you can't have two apps with the exact same name, so what will the new version be called? Awful Too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

In truly terrible news, it seems like iGoon is no longer in the App Store. :(
Makes sense. Its developer is no longer available in the forums.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Here's a couple that used to be in that I'd like back:

If you go out of a thread to the forums list it keeps your place in the thread open until you click on a new thread. Sometimes I forget to mark read, or accidentally click out of a thread. It used to work like that in a previous version, but now when that happens I have to reopen the thread, go back a page, which brings me to:

Scroll to bottom button. Sometimes I'm looking for a post on a page and some threads can involve a lot of scrolling to get there.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 6, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Here's a weird bug, from the latest release of vanilla Awful:

In case it's not obvious, threads are repeating themselves in the forums list. It wasn't till I noticed the vilerat fundraiser thread was in the middle of the list that I noticed. I don't venture outside my bookmarks very often so maybe it's a known thing?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

But the new registration through the app bit is only possible when using it as a browser. Shouldn't Awful be covered for that under the same terms as any third party browser?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I use Instapaper for that purpose.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

And the fact that they've already approved at least three apps for this place makes no sway?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Mo0 posted:

It was posted earlier that unpinch to zoom was coming back, I don't think triple tap ever worked?
It worked. I'd like that back since I tend to do everything on my phone with one hand. Right now I have to put my other hand on the screen just for going in and out of full screen. It was nice to just put my thumb on the screen and tap three times.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Is it better than:

Show OP if you've never read the thread. Show last poster if you've read any of the thread.

I think it works better for just bookmarks to be set up as last posted, since by the nature of the bookmarks list you're probably checking to see what the new info is for those threads specifically.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Here's a weird bug involving opening an image to full screen. I really wish it had happened with a different image though…

Btw I originally tried to post this using the built in image uploading and it just crashed the app completely when I hit that I'm sure on the Reply button.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Click a thread, go out of it and post a screen of the thread list again showing the unread count. I'm curious.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Where does it crash? What's the last thing you see?
I mentioned this last time. It crashes when I hit reply on the "confirm you want to really really post" screen.

Other than that, this update has been great! Only bug I've seen is minor, this sometimes happens:

Fake edit: ironically, I just found that the img and other quick paste shortcuts from the menu don't seem to work at all!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I figured it was the same issue, but since it was a different person I thought I'd check. Still can't replicate it, so any hints help.
Lets try it now then:

pokeyman posted:

This is fixed, thanks. It only happens when the thread's name is shorter than the "x pages" text.

It wasn't a big deal in the first place, but good to know, thanks. Actually, I liked it in a "MAXIMUM REAL ESTATE" way. :v:

pokeyman posted:

That menu is a complete pain to work with in code, so while I haven't yet replicated the bugs you and others have seen, I have no trouble believing that they happen. Does it happen consistently? Or does it seem random? Does it go away if you close the reply screen then bring it back up?
That reply was the first time it failed for me, and it's back to normal whilst creating this post. Ill let you know.

I'm going to copy this whole post, in anticipation of it crashing and loding it all cause I tried to upload an image. Fingers crossed!

Edit: all worked! If you don't mind a possible double post, I'm going to try uploading two images, as that's what crashed it last time it failed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Go nuts, that's half the reason this thread exists.
Tried twice, no luck. Just crashes to desktop home screen.

Also, don't know if this is the way it should be, but the first image gets img tags and the second gets timg?

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 18, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

So works with one, not with two? Thanks for the testing.
I'd assume that'd be imgur freaking out at the sudden load request, so it may be out of your hands, but if you see this, that's a solid yes:

pokeyman posted:

timg is the default for images bigger than 800x600. I'm not sure that's the best way to handle table-breaking images but it's a start.
Both were larger than that though. I tested uploading two pics I'd taken from my old 4.

Scratch that. I can't say with any certainty what size they actually are and everything I just tested follows what you said as far as I can tell.

Btw the quick insert format bar is failing again as of this edit! To answer your question from earlier, cancelling and trying the edit again doesn't fix that. Only trying fresh with a new post seems to.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 18, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Even if imgur doesn't want the images, crashing isn't a remotely appropriate response.

Oh sure, I just meant you may have to restrict the app to one image upload per post from within Awful, and just have people go over to Picup or whatever and insert anything manually above that. Thanks for all your work so far. Really, anything like this is just minor quibbles. Awful is fantastic for the vast majority of its everyday use and it's a testament to your work that we're down to talking about UI uniformity and occasional glitches on bonus features that we never even had prior to your tenure such as in-app uploading and the quick insert menu.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just noticed I also seem to have access to TCC:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

SybilVimes posted:

If you're logged in, and afaik you have to be with Awful, then why wouldn't you ?

Because Apple rejected Awful until access to it was removed from the app.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Javid posted:

Can't you access a bookmarked thread in TCC and go up to it from there? I'd think this would work even if it's hidden from the forum list.

Yeah, but you're not supposed to be able to just browse the forum from the list. I don't have any TCC threads bookmarked.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

radge posted:

O2 seems to block SA but you can bypass it by browsing directly to the IP. Would be nice if the app had the option for this.
They mark it as an adult site. Just call them and verify your age to disable all filtering.

People make things so complicated! :v:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

xzzy posted:

That's some bullshit. I'd flip out if I found my ISP/carrier filtering what sites I can visit.

All UK carriers do this (afaik) because pay as you go is dominant and requires no age checks.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Bummey posted:

What I miss the most is the thread title in the top bar. I'm an idiot and sometimes forget what thread I'm in.
?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I will also offer to tester if testes are needed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Really excited to explore the new update! I immediately found a bug though. If I try to mark a post read until there it does save the place but there's no notification anymore that its done so.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

That's easy enough to add back. It's the kind of thing that never fails (unless you're offline).
As part of my job I move between floors and parts of our building all day, so I'm constantly dropping wifi when moving between access points, so knowing if its saved my place or not is really important.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for adding marked back in 1.9.1. Looks fine so far.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

ZebraByNumbers posted:

Is this the app, or Something Awful? Happened on wifi, and LTE.

If it matters, I was also watching a lets play on my iPad at the same time, but the app wasn't actively running (as there was a video). I sometimes have a network issue when I do this with tweetbot, too.

Thats what happens when either the forums go down briefly or I lose wifi and it hasnt picked up a signal yet.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Testing from 1.9.1:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's the error I get. Happens on WiFi and LTE.

Yeah I was doing it over a strong wifi signal but it worked the second time. Guessing it depends on imgurs loads but its better than previously when it would just crash to the home screen.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'd love an option/toggle that turns avatars off on 3G, but keeps them on on wifi.

Would this be at all possible in a future release?

Pretty sure thats based on what you set it to in the forum settings, so probably not.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

So this happened:

When trying to look at this image:

Leaving me here:

I had to go back and edit this post. At first it posted successfully but only uploaded the first image. I tried to add the other two but it crashed so I edited in one at a time.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 24, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Probably something to do with the type of link it is.

I saw that later. Thou shalt have no other hosters but Imgur. :mad:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Haven't seen this happen, though it doesn't surprise me (it's annoying to test image upload). What were the contents of the post when only the first image uploaded? Did it have the image tags for each image? Were there imgur URLs?
There were no image tags, it simply posted without any indication of the second two images. I edited in the second and third using the built in uploader again and it crashed to the home screen, so I uploaded them one at a time and that worked.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

Sorry if this question has a dumb/obvious answer, but I really love the Awful feature of highlighting your own content (your replies, when you're quoted, etc.). Is there a way to do that in a plain ol' normal (non-mobile) browser? I was sifting through some forum options, greasemonkey scripts, and such and haven't been able to find anything.

SALR browser extension I think.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nothing to do with the app, but the biggest problem I can see with the redesign is that my avatar and title suddenly make no sense. :mad:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Thunderfinger posted:

Is 1.9.2 not actually on the app store in iTunes yet? How soon will it be up?

When Apple approves it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Deep Winter posted:

is there an update coming to the android version? posting from my browser.

Probably.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Anyone else (beta testers) now having trouble with the testing version?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ah thanks! I thought that was only applicable to the current release as it was fine for me when it was first mentioned, until just a few minutes ago when it went haywire.

Edit: and my symptoms were different. Complete crash on opening but I reinstalled and turned them off so its fine now. :downs:

Although my forums list is now limited to IYG but hopefully my bookmarks will keep me entertained.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

pokeyman posted:

This is something I need to fix. In the meantime you can try logging out then back in within the app.

I can't :stare:
Once I hit log out on the confirmation prompt it crashes but shows me logged out for a brief second, then when I reopen I'm still logged in. Going to delete and reinstall again I guess.

Update: After doing that I open to a the forums list just fine, but it crashes when I hit the bookmarks button. I'll try again.

Edit: I forgot reinstalling it turns thread tags back on again... we're good, but the logout is still an issue I guess.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 3, 2013

• Locked thread