Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ok it's boring white bread, but it's also quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever made...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

My second attempt at a german rye bread. I'm starting to understand this scoring thing... Thinking maybe I needed to bake it a little longer though for colour?

Either way it tasted lovely and it was very soft.

Edit: who knew that ctrl+enter just sends the post!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I got into a mood the other day, and made Baguettes, Bagels, Bao and Conchas.

I've never made any of these things before and did not entirely understand the baguette recipe. Here is my result:

10/10 probably the best baguettes I've ever eaten, but I don't have anything great to compare them to.

One of the bao is in the background, 6/10, bread was great, filling came out bland.

Bagels were great, went stale very fast though. Topping was sesame seeds and gochugaru.

Conchas were cute, although they went straight into the freezer, so only these two have been cooked. 10/10 from the tiny bite I had, because diabetes doesn't let you have fun things.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nice video on slap-and-fold. I fast-forwarded to where they really start to get into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWN9mxR_iXI&t=545s

He goes into all kinds of stuff: what to do with your hole body, the kind of contact to make, what exactly to do with your hands, ways of screwing up and how to recover. Something I thought was particularly profound is that there's a distinct top and bottom while you're kneading really wet doughs and you don't want them to mix.

This video is pretty good. You shouldn't need to add anything and it should get less sticky as you work with it, you might just not be attacking it for long enough?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Wholewheat with bran is supposedly good for a year in a well sealed tub and basically forever in the freezer.

I should do something with all the 00 flour I bought when covid "ended" and the supermarkets were dumping it...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I keep mine in plastic bait tubs:

They seal well and are extremely reuseable. I keep the whole-bran stuff in ones half the size and don't open a new one til I need it.

I had flour beetles or something similar once, and I'm not dealing with that again.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.nelstrop.co.uk/pages/multiseed-flake-dinner-rolls

I've been making these lately, with their flake and seed flour. Still getting the recipe down, the first ones I put too little water in and the second batch I overproved, but drat this stuff is good. Expensive, but good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://mygerman.recipes/rye-bread-german-bakery-version/

I made this again yesterday but with wholegrain spelt instead of strong white, and it came out lovely.

I normally do 420 of water, but I tried 450 yesterday and the method from the video, and jesus that's a core workout.

Edit: https://artofeating.com/real-rye-bread/
This is a fantastic article. You can get around the paywall with unblock origin's bypass paywalls filter.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 3, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I bought a pullman tin. Pretty good!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Tea Party Crasher posted:

That is a gorgeous loaf. You've convinced me to buy one

Awesome, I've been having a lot of fun with it!

This one was part seed mix and white and it came out super tasty.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

A little underproofed, but delicious for a first attempt! I'll go thinner next time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

beerinator posted:

I have. But just the smaller sized Pullman.

You just need a recipe that has enough mass to rise up above the pan and it should work.

I love this little square bread. :allears:

The shitake mushroom water is great as braising liquid and makes a good sauce.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcsVSNRi2xY

I haven't tried it, but this video looks good. I really should get some crumpet rings.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I found last time I made them that I could stretch them like a bagel, and that worked well.

First time attempting to make (vegan) hot dog rolls, will make them a little less substantial next time, but they were very good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Edit: ^ and awesome! It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it's amazing how good it gets if you keep making stuff! Keep at it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm gonna be honest, I never do the warming in water thing first, but I keep my yeast in the freezer and know it's good.

Make sure you add a little sugar to the water.

Keep it in the freezer and it'll live longer, don't keep it in the cupboard. I also buy it in 500g bags, because I've never had great luck with the little packets.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 9, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

In the freezer at least, it lasts basically forever. And I'm pretty sure it's good as long as you can get it to reactivate.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/Aw9_SJ6f884

Just any bread recipe, made into rolls and snipped with scissors. I used raisins for eyes because my partner doesn't like food colouring, but they did tend to fall off. Chocolate chips might've worked better.

You can freeze cupcake or muffin batter in the cases and bake when you want them from frozen, same for cookies.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I tried the bread S. It also came out very dark and didn't really want to rise on the second proof, even though I let it sit for an hour in the oven. Need to give it another go.

Next time I'm going to use a sharper cheese, some tinned tomatoes as well as the sundried, more spice, and oregano instead of basil. It's making a very good breakfast though sliced up and toasted.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You can leave dough in the fridge for like a week so it might sort itself out, but kneading was probably the answer. I made a whole loaf the other day where I forgot to add yeast and had to add it like an hour later and start the proof over and it still came out fine.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I never washed mine, but I would often put it in the cooling oven with the door cracked after I'd taken the bread out. Just enough to dry out any moisture from the proofing.

I'd honestly chuck them and try again.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Did you forget the egg?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

null_pointer posted:

This is one of those recipes where you look at it, think "I don't know about this", eat a piece, think "this could be crispier", eat another piece, and keep alternating criticisms and pieces until you're basically done.

100%

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I fell asleep and accidently let this loaf of bread prove for 2 hours past where I normally would.

Still came out pretty good though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The way I make bread most of the time is: I knead it in the mixer, let it proof in the bowl it keaded in, clear a space on the counter to shape it and then let it second-proof in the tin. If you're using a fairly low hydration dough (this is 58%) then there shouldn't be much, if any mess. Unless you're doing something ridiculous like the 80% pizza dough I did last night, you don't need extra flour to knead even if doing it on the surface.

For me, I always have to tidy up a bit first, so the kitchen comes out cleaner than when I started. :v:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://profoodhomemade.com/savoury-cheese-scones/

I made these the other day and they were so extremely good. Had to make my own mustard powder in the grinder, but 100% will make again.

I feel like UK recipies generally won't have buttermilk in because it's something I've never seen for sale anywhere. They'll normally be something like this:
https://bakingwithgranny.co.uk/recipe/scones/cherry-scones/

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 9, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, I don't have a car and there's not much big around here, but I make it sometimes out of lemon juice and soy milk if I need it. It works fine.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah mine took a while to proof too, about double what the recipe I followed said.

Looking good!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oven with the light on. Polystyrene box with some warm water in the corner?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Have you tried just baking with it and seeing if you get a result? The "stick it in a jar in the freezer" method has never let me down either, but I've had lovely luck with the little foil packets.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

That sucks. I'm sorry about your bread. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You're keeping it in the freezer, right, not the fridge?

Anyway, todays bread recipe:
300g Wholemeal Rye flour
480g Starter (240g water. 240g rye, +/-30g of a previous starter, which is mainly matzo meal and startch atm. Let sit for 30 hours or so on the counter, stir a couple of times)
Half of the contents of a fresh earl grey tea bag. Wait no! That was meant to go into the biscuit dough, not the starter! poo poo! Oh well. Carry on. We can save this.
400 stro- oh, I'm out of bread flour. Bugger. 400g Wholemeal Spelt
450g water
20g salt
7g dried yeast.

Let proof on the counter for 3 hours or so, and then knocked back into the big pullman tin for an hour, before baking for 40 minutes or so at 180*c. I probably should have given it another hour to rise in the tin, but it came out lovely, if dense. Next time I'll try baking it with the lid on I think.

The teabag went in when the starter was about an hour old and I could only pour about half of it out, but it smelt very good as it aged.

The bread has a nice subtle fruity taste, you can only pick up on the tea if you concentrate on it. Went nicely with beans and egg last night for dinner.

Anyone who tells you baking is an exact science has never seen me bumble my way through bread. :v:

Edit: As I was writing this, my partner handed me a slice with aldi's cheapest hazelnut spread and orange zest on. It's possibly the most delicious thing I've ever taken a single bite out of.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 22, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, started Bon Appetit's sour cream chive rolls today. Made the tangzhong, added the eggs, added the sour cream, then started proofing a brand new packet of yeast.

I think you can all guess what happened next.

So, in desperation, I had my husband proof two ramekins of yeast, one from an open jar and one from a sealed packet. Both of them were as foamy as the birth of Aphrodite. By this time the tangzhong was a solid sheet of sludge, so I yanked it out of the mixer, wiped it off, made another tangzhong, stirred it in, and added the proofed yeast. So far, so good.

I do always test the temperature of proofing water with a pinkie. I am guessing that yeast doesn't like something about my body chemistry. No, we don't use bactericidal hand soap. In any case, husband will be proofing the yeast from here forward.

:iiam:

So there was a curse all along! Good job finding a way to bypass it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah I dropped mine from 6ft up once and it left a massive dent in the dishwasher, but was itself uninjured. They're built like tanks. A shame all the accessories are built like poo poo, I guess to make up for it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

In my 1kg bread loaves I use 5-9g of yeast, depending on the weather and my mood and how much I drop in by accident. In my pizza dough, which is gonna be in the fridge for a while, I do 3-5 and it's probably a bit much. I need to get some drug scales, and I miss having access to fresh yeast.

I don't think I posted these, and they're only tangentially bread, but I made Cheese Scones as a new years lunch at my grandmas. They went down super well, much better than the biscuits I was originally planning on. This was enough to feed four people, once we added butter and extra cheese on top!

I only had a couple of hours to get ready and make something, and they didn't need to rise or chill. Came out perfect.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 5, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

See for me I'd reorder the list:

• Weighing ingredients is essential. Get some scales, don't bother with cups and teaspoons and all that junk.
  • I don't own a dutch oven either. I do have a lot of fun with the Pullman tin though.
  • Rice flour is cool for stickage reasons, depending on what sort of bread you're making.
  • Proofing baskets are cool but you can get away with a mixing bowl and a flour-coated cloth. You can dedicate some old pillowcases to the cause or a new teatowel and just keep it in with the flour. If you're making something like baguettes, you don't need proofing baskets. Something got into the cupboard and ate mine and I've never bothered replacing them.
  • Something very sharp for scoring, like a lame, is great, a sharp vegetable knife will work in a pinch.
  • A probe and ir thermometer is helpful, extremely so when you're starting out and you want to know if your bread is done in the middle.
  • A bench scraper and bowl scraper are essential if you're making anything high hydration. I have a proper one and one made out of the top of an icecream tub and I use them in equal amounts.
  • Tartine Bread is probably a great book for starting out but I haven't read it. I have John Kirkwood's book, and a little book of Welsh Bread, and the rest is just googling and messing about.
  • A stand mixer takes a lot of hassle out of life.

You can make breads that use both sourdough and yeast, pick up a big pack of dried yeast and store it in the freezer and it should last for a year or two, as long as you're not cursed.

My partner makes vegan sourdough pancakes and they come out awesome. Enjoy bread, it's fun! Even if it doesn't come out looking so great, it'll taste good, and the next one will be better!

Once you've got a starter going as well, it should be fairly hard to kill. My partner feeds ours with basically anything he finds. Matzo meal, starch water from making Seitan, he's used cooked rice a couple of times but I've vetoed that one. I looked at it the other day and it was a weird colour because he'd poured in a tub of golden breadcrumbs he'd found in the back of the cupboard. They take a while to break down, but it'll eat what you give it.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 6, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Decided to try a bit of a whiter bread today. I'm gonna stop trying to do anything fancy with the tops, but it tastes lovely.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

^ I hope your MIL pulls through! If you're looking for high calorie, cinnamon rolls are easy to make and extremely good, as long as neither of you are diabetic. You should try using your milk bread for cinnamon rolls!

Here's some awful stuff I made yesterday:

Cheese'n'Beans. Bread baked with cheese and baked beans on top. Tasted like pizza, but with baked beans instead of tomato sauce. They were delicious and I'm absolutely gonna make these again. The open ones were much better than the eggs.

Mount Branston. A big 💩of bread and branston pickle. Didn't taste of much, and smelt strongly of vinegar. Would have been much better with mince-pie filling.

St. Marmite's Wheel. Like cinnamon rolls, but marmite and cheese. I used too much marmite. The marmite lake around the edge was still gently bubbling when I took this picture.

We ate half of St. Marmite's Wheel before we had to stop and go down several pints of water. My partner insisted on cutting up the remaining rolls this morning, chipping the shiny marmite/cheese shell off the bottom and then turning them into croutons, which were actually pretty good.

Make bread, it's fun and easy!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This was the Aldi own brand I think, I melted it first in a bain marie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

10g here for 1kg bread, a little more if I'm making pizza dough, maybe up to double. Get some drug scales and don't look back, I say.