Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

duck monster posted:

I always find myself wanting to appologize to americans and brits for inflicting Rupert Murdoch on you guys. Sorry, this is australias fault :(

Dudes completely loving with the political discourse here in australia too. Owns 70% of the print media and in my view is almost entirely responsible for australias decline from a euro style liberal welfare democracy in the early 90s into a racist loving rat trap in 2012

20 years of hysterical headlines about "welfare cheats", "muslim extremists", "communist labor/union conspiracies" etc will do that to a country.

I'm not a UK native, but it seems like he's had much the same impact on their news there, too, at least in the print media, anyways. I'm amazed it took a cellphone hacking scandal (involving what is mostly a dying news format, and certainly a very minor part of Murdoch's empire, to boot) to finally present any kind of a threat to Murdoch's rule. But sadly he still hasn't been completely toppled yet. :sigh:

Back here in the USA, Bill Maher had a good blog post here that mentioned how appealing right-wing media is to the conservative mindset. He was primarily focusing on how partisan pollsters like Rasmussen are starting to skew their results to be what conservatives want to hear; but he makes a good point in that so many conservatives are in this enclosed bubble nowadays, where they don't hear any news that doesn't originate from a right-wing biased source, and so consider anything that doesn't jibe with that worldview to be erroneous at best and outright false at worst.

Bill Maher posted:

When we talk about the conservative bubble, we’re generally talking about the Fox-Rush-Drudge information bubble, and the people who reside in it. This is the information loop that allows any willing right-winger to live in a world where the opinions they already are the only ones that get recited back to them, and the opinions they will one day have get fed to them so they can later recite them and hear them being recited back again, and around and around we go, all without any having to hear any opposing viewpoints expressed beyond – possibly – those of tokens like Kirsten Powers and that old school Irish Dem who periodically loses it and tells Sean Hannity to go gently caress himself. I think his name is Bob Beckel or something. And I’d like his job some day.

If you’re a conservative, wherever you turn, the bubble is there. If you want to get your news on TV, you have Fox. If you’re the type who frequents talk radio, there’s Rush, along with a dozen other Rush clones. If you want to get your news online, you get all the links you want to read assembled for you by Matt Drudge, complete with misleading headlines, bad pictures of Hillary Clinton and Michele Obama, and a smattering of racism. Anywhere a Republican wants to turn for news, there’s a friendly face. And by “friendly” I mean the “smiling veneer over the contemptible inner core.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I grew up during the 1980s and was all into He-Man and G.I. Joe. When I served in the military in the 1990s, Nirvana was one of my favorite bands. And I'm for equal rights across the board for women, minorities, and gays; have a lot of disdain for organized religion in general; and would like to see less spending on "defense" (much of which translates into "someone's pet project" rather than salaries and necessities for the troops) and more spending on improving education; and finally, I'd like to get universal healthcare and other social safety nets reinforced or put in place where needed. So at least some of us haven't sold out to the soulless Randians and their FYGM philosophy. :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Why are the Fox & Friends hosts so creepy?

Because they're the typical TV "talking head" stereotype writ large. They've been chosen for their gig because they are without a doubt 100% willing to shill whatever talking points their bosses want them to push, and in some cases quite eagerly at that. They've got just enough personality to make them agreeable to the average viewer, so they go away thinking "well that nice Gretchen Carlson made some good points about <insert the latest Republican conspiracy theory here>."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure if this should go here or not, but I got that "Dreams of My Real* Father" DVD in the mail the other day and, the more I think about it, realize that this is indeed part of what we're talking about in this thread. This movie, combined with the "2016" documentary, I think really illustrates how pervasive this right wing messaging really is. It's all stupid hot air and based on absolutely nothing. There are hundreds of reasons to dislike Obama but these people just invent things out of thin air.

I'd like to think it was purely because the right-wing finally just went completely insane after a black man got elected to the highest office in the land...but then I remember "Whitewatergate" and Vince Foster and the whole Clinton blowjob impeachment thing, and I realize they've pretty much always been this crazy. They're just a lot more brazen about it this time around.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
So a bunch of people I know on FB have been posting that Gen. Carter Ham, the general in charge of AFRICOM (which would have put Libya/Benghazi under his purview) has been "arrested" for "refusing" to "stand down" because he was "going" to "order" "troops" into Libya and "rescue" the people at the consulate.

I search the Internet and all I can find is the guy is retiring after forty years in the military. Now, granted, all the links (to obvious right-wing blogs and news sites, natch) claim that nobody in the LAMESTREAM MEDIA will report this story because they're all "in the bag" for "Obummer" (note: to be fair, I have yet to see if this story has made Fox News at this time. It all seems to be coming from sites like "the Tea Party Tribune" and so forth).

Part of me knows it is the height of folly to engage these people on any topic that's remotely political/religious in nature...but part of me seriously wants to post that even the meanest intelligence can see that a news organization, no matter how "in the bag" they are for Obama, would absolutely jump on a juicy news story like this if it were true. Even more so in this day and age of 24-hour news cycles.

To me, this is just another example of the corrosive effect the modern-day conservative media is having on dialogue and communications. They've had to go through at least three or four conspiracy theories about Benghazi; and when one gets roundly disproved, instead of slinking away into the dark, never to be trusted again, they just invent some new poo poo and hope it sticks.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Vertigus posted:

Save yourself the trouble and don't bother getting into that poo poo. Of course it's obvious that the media would jump on something like that. It doesn't matter.

Oh I agree, and I do avoid discussions like that like the plague. I know that no good can come from them. It's just frustrating at times to see people that should really know better posting obvious bullshit. And even more frustrating to see the media "sources" that dream up these outrageous things getting away with it, instead of being thoroughly discredited and denounced.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Because they just know Obama let those four Americans die in Benghazi. They feel it. They've prayed about it, and God has made them feel it is true. Perhaps they practice "free-hand prayer" or whatever it is called, where you pray about something and then write whatever comes to mind. "Obama... gave the order... to stand down," praise God!

If the truth is already a certainty, then the goal is not to find the truth, but to find the divinely inspired combination of unnamed sources and baseless accusations that confirm what you already know. It doesn't matter if each new conspiracy theory you latch on to is debunked by your godless liberal nephew. You feel that Obama wanted those Americans to die, and what you feel is the same as what God tells you, and God can't be wrong.

It just goes back to my theory that they want something, anything to not just cost Obama the White House, but to find some way to invalidate his entire presidency. The birther poo poo has been roundly debunked (and even then, there are still a lot of people who believe it to be true), and it no longer has any weight or impact on the election beyond Obama himself making jokes about it, so they're probably latching on to Benghazi as something they can pin their hopes for an impeachment on.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

the jizz taxi posted:

Just a thing I feel also gets overlooked frequently: we tend to rationalize and analyze why people hold certain opinions or beliefs, or how they grow more extreme, etc., but I think what we can't underestimate as a powerful motivating force is quite simply spite and cruelty.

I'm not out and out saying that everyone who listens to Rush or votes Republican is pathologically cruel, but that feeling is definitely there. The excesses of public lynching and KKK raids may be gone, but that doesn't mean that that dark side of human nature is gone. I realize that that sounds simplistic to a lot of you, but consider that we tend to be the sort of people who've been taught to restrain impulses like that or channel our natural anger and spite into more constructive things (building a career, working out, or even something als relatively harmless as trolling internet message boards). Many people never had that option and weren't raised to think this way.

I would say that's a fair point. Wasn't there a study done that showed how a majority of the respondents would rather have been the only person to have $100,000 even if it meant that everyone else was subjected to poverty, as opposed to themselves and everyone else all having $90,000 apiece (admittedly I may have the details mixed up a bit)? If so, it certainly sums up the FYGM attitude pretty well. After all, if everyone has a fair shake and equal footing, it obviously means nobody can be exceptional or successful! :rolleyes:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Like I said, I do have some sympathy for these guys. A lot of them where just doing what they had always been told was the right thing.

The point I was getting across was that right-wing media doesn't ultimately help these people with these problems, or even believe they exist. They would have been better off tuning into Bob Brinker or Dave Ramsey to get a handle on their money problems. Instead, they kept listening to Rush and friends, and they just keep going with the blame-government mantra.

But I can be as sympathetic as Gandhi, it still doesn't change the fact that these people have completely bought into the right-wing narrative. And as others have pointed out, trying to argue them out of that mindset is drat near impossible. The right-wing media has built of surprisingly solid foundation of circular reasoning, begging the question, and other a priori facts. Or as Chomsky put it, it is at least internally consistent.

There's also the fact that the right-wing is very, very good at not just reinforcing people's beliefs and fears, but reassuring them that they're better than those they despise. I forget who posted it, but someone had a bit of dialogue between Hannity and a caller that was basically one big circle jerk of "You're a great American!" "No, you are!" That kind of ego massaging is unhealthy, to be sure, but it's also damned hard to break away from once you're used to getting it (which is why a lot of people in power surround themselves with yes-men, as well), and it's such a strong part of the reason why the right-wing media has been so successful. With the one hand they sow seeds of fear and mistrust and doubt towards women/minorities/foreigners/poor people, while the other hand's busy patting the listener on the back and telling them not to worry...because they are one of the real Americans. :barf:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
As an example of the sort of thing you have to deal with in getting people off the Fox/Rush/Drudge junk habit, a friend of mine actually posted on FB that Obama has been "politicizing" the entire Hurricane Sandy event by sending FEMA and other government agencies in, and working directly with state and local government to get relief where it's needed.

Meanwhile, Mitt Romney is "showing how it should be done" by collecting canned goods, asking people to donate, and offering the usage of his campaign bus. :geno:

There really is no :rolleyes: big enough.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Zwabu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghH9Cl-Pj60

Here's Rush Limbaugh pouring out some bile against Chris Christie for daring make the President look good. Notable things:

-Rush's voice sounds really odd to me, not like his normal. Plus he seems to kind of lose the thread a little towards the end, more than even usual for people stumbling on their words a bit on broadcast radio. Studio at home, wonder if dude is hopped up on the goofballs again.

-He says Bloomberg endorsed Romney, when he in fact endorsed Obama. Fox News always carried this incorrect news, I wonder if Rush got this from Fox or vice versa?

-Funny that the "Daily Rushbo" youtube channel only shows the thinner Rush pictures. I'm pretty sure he's back on the "fat" part of his fat/thin cycles.

I saw this on Chris Matthews' show, we should point out that he also made several thinly veiled gay jokes about Obama and Christie, as well. :rolleyes:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

If you told me that I would be seeing, of all loving people, Geraldo Rivera standing up and demonstrating some kind of a backbone--and on the network that pays his salary to boot--I would have thought you were pulling my leg. I mean, I'm glad to see him doing it, and I commend him for it. I just never thought I'd see the day. :stare:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

prefect posted:

Every once in a while, Geraldo will do something that's straight-up admirable. I remember him being extremely emphatic about the federal government's lovely response to Katrina. I'm sure Geraldo's primary motive is fame and fortune, but there are times he seems to genuinely care for some people.

True, though I still think his Katrina reports (at least initially) smacked of grandstanding. Especially in comparison to Shep Smith's Katrina reports, who literally looked shaken and upset (and also looked like he wanted to reach through the screen and strangle Sean Hannity to death on more than one occasion, after some of the stupid poo poo Hannity said).

As I recall, this is also the same Geraldo who got kicked out of Iraq and Afghanistan for giving away troop movements on camera, too. :v:

But again, kudos to him for standing up and telling Fox News and their audience that all the poo poo they spew about Benghazi are "obscene lie[s]". That had to take some serious loving stones to do, and he's definitely gone up quite a few points in my estimation. :patriot:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I personally believe that most right-wing pundits are fervent believers in the stuff they say, though I'm sure there are more than a few who are insincere and know they can just get paid by pandering to people's fears and prejudices (I also think that in both cases, there is a fair amount of contempt for their audience that is often barely kept in check).

Having said that, I do admit I get a chuckle at the thought that the modern-day conservative media was propelled by Rush basically doing his take on the Hazel Motes character in Flannery O'Connor's "Wise Blood". Except that instead of ending up depressed and crazy like the character in the novel (because people not only tolerated the outrageous stuff he said, but actually started to imitate it in hopes of making money), Rush just said "gently caress it" and eagerly joined in the cash grab. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Beck is an interesting case too. Former morning-zoo shock-jock (shocking enough to make fun of a miscarriage), he latter found (Mormon) Jesus and got national exposure being the official right-winger for CNN. Even his the story of his religious conversion is half-assed. The story goes, his family was shopping for a church because he figured they should be going to a church, and they settled on the LDS they visited because one of his kids liked it. If you listen to his show, he can't seem to help slipping back into the morning-zoo routine. And it becomes quite schizophrenic, as he'll go from laughing and talking back and forth with the other staff, and then slip back into some dire monologue when he seems to remember he's not getting paid for fun and games any more.

I am sure I have at least one friend that converted to Mormonism solely because of Glenn Beck. For that reason alone I have a huge amount of dislike for the man.

There's also the rather :stare: letter he wrote to the band Muse about how their music makes him feel (even though the band has said they are disgusted by right-wing American politics and routinely deny conservative requests to use their songs at rallies, on TV/radio shows, and so on).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Eulogistics posted:

A couple people have touched on this in this thread, but I wanted to specifically point it out: one of the things that alarms me the most about the right-wing media is that somehow it has managed to demonize INTELLIGENCE and EDUCATION with this whole "liberal professors" and "intellectuals in ivory towers" thing. I was born in the late 80s so I'm not sure, but wasn't part of the American Dream post-WW2 the ability to go to college and become a learned person? How has that flipped around to where education is the domain of the liberals and thus not a place to tread? It's a glorification of ignorance that really frightens and disheartens me.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is something we can lay solely at the right-wing media's feet, as entertainment media has by far been the most ruthless in exploiting the fact that there are shitloads of money to be made by appealing to the absolute lowest common denominator, and reassuring them that their lack of education is in fact "common sense" and that they are "regular folks".

It feels like it's gotten more crass over the years just because there are so many outlets for it, but it's always been there in some fashion (ex., schools routinely valuing sports programs over academic programs).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Cheekio posted:

Is there some sort of support network for people whose loved ones watch fox news? I have a family member who is a brilliant engineer, and is hooked on cable news, watching fox news as his main source and using CNN as a left wing foil.

I understand that going into a conversation by assuming "I'm right and you're wrong" is pigheaded and close-minded, but I need help finding ways to approach issues so I can engage in civil discourse about them. Often, conversations falter and collapse when it comes to talking points ("Did Obama say 'terrorism' in the road garden?") and post-modern philosophies that shut down discussion ('There are no facts; everything is debatable').

I understand that my ability to change someone's mind is nil, people make up their own minds, but I refuse to believe that we can't have a discourse about our differences of opinion that don't give both of us heart attacks.

There sure is, it's this thread! :)

In all seriousness, it's admirable that you want to continue to engage this person in discourse, but the thing you have to realize is that your efforts may well all be for naught. We can provide advice (my main piece of advice is to be firm and resolute in your positions, and to not come across as condescending or like you're trying to "educate" the person, or like you are attacking them personally). But at the end of the day it really depends on how deeply entrenched the person is in the Fox News/Rush/Drudge bubble vs. how much regard they have for you and your opinions. Some people never do make it out of the bubble, and it's those people that you just have to stop trying to discuss politics with, because you're likely never going to reach them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I almost felt bad for Peggy Noonan tonight, she sounded like someone's nice old grandma who wandered onto the Fox News set, drank a tumbler of gin, and then wondered why all these people were asking her about that nasty ol' Kenyan. :corsair:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Amazing as it seems to be, I think the scales have fallen from many of the GOP shills' eyes, and they are seeing that the majority of the American people actually rejected their arguments last night. Because I really would have expected them to try and find some way to claim the election was stolen. But I think after the absolute drubbing they got last night, they can't really say that anymore. It's wonderful :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I saw a little bit of Rush's meltdown today on MSNBC, and it could not have been more wonderful to see if I'd scripted it myself. I seriously thought the guy's head was going to explode like the dude's head in "Scanners".

It's been said before, too, but Fox News was wonderful last night into the wee hours of the AM. They literally started turning on and sniping at each other, as some pundits tried to argue actual reasonable positions, while others were sticking their heads in the sand and denying that an ultra-conservative position could have remotely been responsible for costing them the election. O'Reilly nearly broke down in tears, Rove lost his mind, and Morris looked like a bumbling fool, with Megyn Kelly laughing in resignation all the while (and fulfilling the Fox News "show a lot of leg" directive when she wandered down the hall to talk to their numbers guys after Ohio was called). It truly was a wonderful night to watch right-wing media collapse in on itself.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Tortolia posted:

It certainly seems a likely possibility that the GOP takes the wrong conclusions from this election.

Their talking heads are certainly working overtime trying to beat those incorrect conclusions into their listeners' heads, to be sure.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Typical Pubbie posted:

Oh my God. I mean, good. Yes, Rush. Let it all out, man. Let it all come out.

Follow Pat Buchanan's example, Rush. Go for broke on the racism. Real America's depending on you! :911:

E: Well gently caress, that's from a satirical site. I claim "Poe's Law" as my defense. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 9, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Pope Guilty posted:

Daily Currant is apparently a satire site, but I'm not sure how it's satire if the words you attribute to somebody are 100% in line with his publicly expressed opinions.

Oh, I'll certainly agree that that's a fair point. What happened was I got that link from a more left-leaning FB friend, who was themselves under the impression that the article was legit. I corrected the misconception (after I edited my post here), and commented that although Buchanan has made :psyduck: comments before, he didn't actually make these exact comments after Election Day like we had thought. Again, Poe's Law and all that. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Hazo posted:

The O'Reilly Factor (with Laura Ingraham filling in) was on at the bar tonight, and it really seems like doubling down on evil is the next step for the GOP. The logic (and I use that word loosely) was thus: Republicans should absolutely not move toward the center, because Obama didn't move toward the center after the tea party successes in 2010 and he got re-elected.

The amount of mental gymnastics required to make sense of that is beyond my comprehension.
edit: Like, I can't even type it out in a coherent way that makes fun of the absurdity of it. "Don't become more liberal, because our enemy who refused to become less liberal achieved success," maybe?

Meanwhile, Rush Limbaugh was ranting and raving about how everyone blames him now for driving people away from the Republicans. During this rant, he was playing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" in the background, derided women as the "Vagina Brigade", and kept trying to awkwardly tap his hand on his desk in time to the music. It was either an amazing piece of performance art, or a slow and inexorable collapse into true insanity. I'm not sure which, but all's I know is it was entertaining as hell to watch. :munch:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Friend who drank the "Benghazi-gate" Kool-aid

While I don't mean to sound negative...there probably is really nothing you can do. People here will probably still give you some helpful links to articles that show there really is nothing more to the Benghazi incident than a terrible tragedy, but that's not really going to do you any good beyond confirming what you already know.

You've already given your friend facts and figures, and they've responded by saying they believe Rush Limbaugh's anonymous callers over you. I'd say it's probably time to just stop discussing politics with this person unless you enjoy exercises in frustration.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

fade5 posted:

One argument you could make is that the way that Matt Drudge chooses to emphasize certain articles and de-emphasize others is what causes the site to have a bias. It's not the links themselves that are biased, it's Matt Drudge's presentation of them. Argue that if he just posted pure text links with no emphasis on any one article, then the site could be considered unbiased.

(Obviously it would still be biased for many other reasons, but hopefully this argument will help your dad see that Drudge is, at the very least, not an unbiased source of news.)

To add to this: for comparison, cite Google News as an example of a site that just collects links and displays them with zero effort at presentation or "spin". I've seen links from websites that leaned both left and right, as well as sites that sat squarely in the middle. By contrast, Drudge is pretty much posting anything that is even the slightest bit biased towards conservatives.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Death Himself posted:

Doesn't Google News serve you articles it thinks you will prefer based on your search history, physical location and what sites you visit if it has that data available? It does that with search results too, trying to give you things it thinks you will like which in political terms will serve up sites leaning toward the left or right depending on your online habits.

It's entirely possible, I just know that when I visit it I always get a mixture of things. Of course I also have Firefox set to delete all the cookies and stuff when I close it out too, so there's that. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

goatsecks posted:

Its begun Michael Barry has been ranting about the rino Bill Kristol all day today.

Rev. Al on MSNBC is doing a segment right now about how it's apparently Rush Limbaugh vs. "The (Republican party) Establishment". He played Limbaugh ranting and raving yet again about how Republicans will continue to lose "until I am denounced", and Hannity telling Dick Morris "a lot of people are furious at you right now". :munch:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Yeah, I'm going to have to come down on the "rather silly" side of this thing here. NPR as a whole should be defunded because Wisconsin radio couldn't get a more credible conservative guest? I think we're definitely in "throw the baby out with the bathwater" territory here. Just because the people running the local station might be a bunch of morons, don't piss all over NPR for the rest of the nation as a result.

I can't speak for Wisconsin NPR stations, but I can assure you down here in Florida they don't tend to jizz all over any conservative they happen to get in the studio. NPR down here is like a beacon of liberal light in an often conservative (or just indifferent) wasteland. Don't kill off the NPR stations here just because the Wisconsin stations couldn't get a conservative numbers wonk. :sigh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
S.E. Cupp may be my current most despised conservative pundit (that I still have googly-eyes over at times :sweatdrop:). drat near everything that woman says sounds like she's just parroting Fox News talking points in an effort to be edgy, without being shrill and off-putting like Malkin or Coulter. Instead she just ends up in some mushy half-hearted "kinda sorta conservative" area that makes her just sound stupid. At least Coulter and Malkin know what they say is going to be incredibly offensive, but they know it'll also get them a ton of press. Cupp is just kinda sorta...there.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 14, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

VideoTapir posted:

Fox employee says what everyone was thinking.

I wonder if they also will echo what their boss was thinking here. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
More news about how Rush Limbaugh is dragging radio networks down with him is always welcome, I find! :v:

quote:

The Rush Limbaugh Show is distributed to 600 radio stations via several radio industry networks. The show is syndicated by privately-held Premiere Networks, which contracts with Cumulus Media, Dial Global, and other networks to secure broad access in as many media markets as possible.

On Friday, November 16, Dial Global took a huge financial hit, resulting in the company voluntarily de-listing from NASDAQ. Dial Global's stock dropped by nearly 77 percent. The company identified three causes for its troubles, including "advertisers' response to controversial statements by a certain nationally syndicated talk radio personality in MARCH 2012."

Now, it is becoming apparent that Cumulus is also a troubled company. Dial Global appears to be on the ropes; Cumulus is, so far, failing to thrive. Both companies have publicly blamed Rush. Clear Channel, the parent of Premiere Networks, is $21 billion in debt.

It goes on to point out how badly Cumulus is doing, and that the consumer/advertiser backlash to Limbaugh's comments about Sandra Fluke is directly responsible for "approximately one-third of lost revenue".

quote:

Meanwhile, the movement to hold Limbaugh accountable continues to grow, and in the only recent audience analysis (of streaming audience share) to have been released, Limbaugh has been knocked out of first place, and has seen audience share decrease by nearly fifty percent.

:laugh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

VanSandman posted:

21 billion in debt? And Romney owned part of Clear Channel (I think someone earlier mentioned this)? Did Romney's financial guys buy Clear Channel, leverage it to the hilt, and then dump it for the bad debt that it is?

Because I want it to be true.

Close; Bain Capital (yes, that Bain Capital) owns Clear Channel; they bought it back in 2006. And it's very likely that they will end up doing to Clear Channel what they've done to other companies they've owned. :getin:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

CatCannons posted:

Romney's Bain Capital Is Sending a Bunch of High-Tech Jobs to China on the Day Before the Election

On the day before an election that's supposed to hinge on jobs, taxes and the middle class, Bain Capital, the company Mitt Romney founded, will close the doors of a factory in Freeport, Illinois, and ship 170 good, high-tech jobs to China.

http://www.alternet.org/election-2012/romneys-bain-capital-sending-bunch-high-tech-jobs-china-day-election

Clear channel in china should be interesting.

A friend on FB claimed that Romney would have been a better president because he was a CEO of a company that "employed millions". I didn't have the heart to tell them that those supposed "millions" were probably employed in China. :v:

Blastedhellscape posted:

I love how her entire gimmick is that she's a young female atheist who just happens to agree with everything old religious conservative dudes say. The first time I ever saw her she was selling one of her books on the Bill Maher show and as far as I could tell the entire premise was "As a young female atheist I believe that while Christian male conservatives are the most oppressed people on earth."

It is a really clever way to jump on the conservative media gravy train: say you're an atheist, regurgitate talking points, then watch the profits roll in. That's probably the reason she sounds so half-hearted to you too. It's really obvious that she doesn't believe any of this poo poo.

She was even more shameless on her Fox News appearances, when there were apparently entire segments devoted to her showing off her legs (which are, to be fair, very nice indeed). I guess I can't really blame her, to be honest; she knows there's a buck to be made by exploiting both her good looks and the gullibility of most people calling themselves "conservatives". It's entirely cynical and calculating, of course, but if she's getting paid, then more power to her, I guess.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

agarjogger posted:

Why would it be a bad thing if Clear Channel were to go away? They're already borderline right-wing media on their own, and the age of mass consolidation in radio that they oversaw could only have aided Rush, Savage, Hannity, and Levin in their quest to make the two-minutes hate a drivetime tradition for tens of millions of bitter flatlanders. Who puts these demons on 600 news radio stations for five hours a day and tells the listeners it's reputable editorializing? Clear Channel does.

I don't think cheese was arguing in favor of CC so much as they were pointing out the irony inherent in how the free market, that entity so beloved of Republicans, has potentially encompassed the doom of CC (and with it a large platform for Rush, et al, to spout their nonsense); and also the irony present in how said doom will very likely be delivered by Bain Capital, the former company of the man they did their goddamndest to try and get elected president (and who they almost instantly started ignoring once he lost).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Slo-Tek posted:

How old were you when it happened?

I drove home from work thinking "Well poo poo, I guess I'm not too old to enlist for a tour or two"

More of a 'sighed and drew his katana' sort of self-drama, than a "rar nuke all browns!" self-drama, but the drive home from work on 9/11 I thought a number of rather uncharacteristic, unlikely, and in retrospect slightly embarrassing thoughts.

Of course, nobody was paying me to write my opinions in the paper, and I wasn't subject to the same feedback loop that people who say whatever poo poo pops in their head for 2 hours a day on television and radio. So it wore off pretty quick.

I had the same reaction, and I was 7 years out of the military when 9/11 happened. I even went as far as to contact a recruiter about what I might need to do to sign back up.

A lot of us (including myself, I'll shamefacedly admit) jumped on the crazy train for a while after 9/11. The difference between us and the people like Dennis Miller is that at some point, a lot of us couldn't remain cognitively dissonant forever and started doubting and questioning what the hell was going on. People like Miller either can't or won't ask themeselves those kind of questions (in Miller's case, I suspect it's because he makes way too much money off the conservative media to want to do so).

Also, on the S.E. Cupp thing, I was watching "The Cycle" on MSNBC just now, and she's still showing off her legs. It's nowhere near as blatant as it was on Fox News, but every time the camera cuts to a shot of the table with the four-person group on the show, it's to her left, and you can see her gams in full view. I should also note that they do not do this with the other female host (Krystal Ball). I guess it's just a hard habit for Cupp to break. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Oh I know why he does it. It's just mind blowing that people go along with it, even with poo poo that they see with their very own eyes.

I said it a while back, but it bears repeating: though everyone is guilty of varying degrees of cognitive dissonance, the amount required to go through daily life as a modern-day conservative must be staggering. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Crossposting from the Republican Rebuilding thread, Maddow's slowly starting to beat Hannity in the ratings.

quote:

Particularly impressive were the results of the two powerhouse programs on the MSNBC lineup: Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell. Maddow won seven of the eight days against her Fox competition, Sean Hannity. For the 8-day run Maddow beat Hannity by 18% and her 544k average was second to only Bill O’Reilly in all of cable news. O’Donnell won all eight days against Fox’s Greta Van Susteren. His margin of victory over Van Susteren was 17% for the eight days.

This can no longer be considered a temporary blip on the ratings scales. With two weeks having elapsed, the MSNBC programs are showing steady strength against competition that was once thought insurmountable. Only Bill O’Reilly is holding his top position for Fox in primetime. This may indicate that Sean Hannity is wearing thin with viewers who are likely disappointed with his overly confident (and harebrained) assurances that all the polls were wrong and that Mitt Romney would emerge victorious.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I think for me the key difference between Maddow and Hannity (and most of the MSNBC hosts vs. most of the Fox News hosts) is that I honestly feel like Maddow would be fun to hang out with. Not necessarily in a "party down" kinda way, but more in a "person you could genuinely relate to and have a good conversation with" kinda way. Whereas I'd have to exercise every ounce of self-restraint not to want to punch Hannity's lights out the entire time (aka "Shep Smith syndrome" :v:).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

The Ender posted:

You're not nearly cynical enough.

What's happening is that the ideologues are having marriage problems with Fox News as a result of the last election. Fox 'broke ranks', in their pea sized brains, for not following Rove off of the cliff and trying to claim a Romney victory or at least a 'close race' even as all of the polls pretty clearly showed an Obama win in Ohio.

This is definitely part of it, I've seen more than a few "Obama stole the election" articles that had comments where the commenters were bemoaning how Fox News is clearly in on the fix, has become too liberal, turned their back on America, etc. All because they called states for Obama instead of claiming how Obama clearly lied and stole the election and so forth. Granted, this is hardly indicative of Fox News potentially losing their spot as the #1 cable news network, but it's certainly promising. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Volkerball posted:

Culture war works both ways.

This is the same bullshit "moral equivalency" argument conservatives make when people criticize them for being so goddamned hateful, and it's disingenuous at best and outright false at worst. There is no way that what Maddow and co. do is anything remotely like the bile and bilge and outright hatred spewed by so many on the right.

There's an enormous difference between conservatives' feelings being hurt because they think Maddow or Matthews talk down to them or aren't properly "respectful" enough, and Fox News people like O'Reilly and Hannity flat-out saying anyone who disagreed with Bush (or supported Obama) is out to destroy America.

Volkerball posted:

She literally calls them teabaggers on air.

So? They were calling themselves that for a good long while until someone finally figured what connotations it might have. And it's still a hell of a long way from the racism and sexism perpetrated on a daily basis by Fox News.