Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Saitama's thought process here. "I can't deal with this guy trying to blow up the city and kill everyone so he can fight me, I need to stop a bad guy!

"...Oh right." *slam*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could make a great series of avatars with these heroes, captioning them all with "Nothing unusual." Except the lightning robot guy I guess, he'd get "A monster blew up the city. Everything else is fine."

Also the brief buildup with Genos, only for him to be scrubbing a toilet was great. As is Watchdog. What an adorable engine of destruction.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AgentHaiTo posted:

I've seen like one panel of Watchdog, and somehow I love that hero so much. He looks so cuddly, and I can't imagine how he can be so powerful. It's almost like some kind of drunken kung-fu like with Saitama where the more loose and laid back you are, the more powerful you are.

After Saitama, Watchdog has the most cartoony appearance in the comic. Meanwhile Genos and a few others have hyper-detailed, "cool" appearances. It's an inverted bell curve, the further to either side you are, the more powerful. If you're a regular person who isn't either really awesome or completely silly (and really awesome), you're hosed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtomikKrab posted:

:colbert: He is only Class A, Rank 2, this means he is a CHUMP, and will be chumped on.

That's still higher than Saitama.

Joking aside, guy seems to have a decent chance at least. Though man, those things utterly wrecked... Everything. Jeez.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 9, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shindragon posted:

It's probably more like Saitama just really wants a good fight without all the exposition by this dumbass boss. Basically literally like his dream where it's just punches and punches.

I would think he would be happy that he hasn't one shot this guy yet but I can't blame him for being annoyed.

Given that the only reason this guy survived is because he regenerates, I kind of think that it doesn't exactly count for his purposes of surviving one punch. It'd be like if he were fighting that thing down on the ground; sure, it'll survive, but it's not a threat and he'd still utterly wreck it with every touch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bremen posted:

That's only true in cases where someone drops a spoiler that an unaware reader might miss or dismiss as speculation, where someone saying "stop posting spoilers" will flag that. No one's going to read the last page and think "huh, maybe these people are just speculating about King".

Yeah, some of these people were making outright statements, and the same thing came up so many times from different people that even if it was phrased more speculatively it'd still be blatantly obvious.

It sucks too because I rely on this thread to know when updates and in particular edits of past chapters come, yet apparently reading it is going to spoil me on what's coming.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RabidWeasel posted:

Genos status: still rude as all gently caress.

The disrespect there is amazing. I love it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bremen posted:

Probably, and if past adaptation threads are any indication it will be 90% smug posts dropping obvious spoilers.

You mean like this threat already has been and frequently still is?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaganGoatPants posted:

Scan of the OPM Hero Book thingy.

http://imgur.com/a/6FOHO

PERFECT STATS

Man, I wish I could read this. Watchdogman and some others I've been curious about get pages too. Given how much text is in there, I doubt it's going to get translated, at least any time soon, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

I could do a text transcript (or more likely a lazy summary) of some pages once I get off work (if I remember) as long as you don't want the entire thing done.

That'd be neat if you wanted to do that. Really, though, I think a bit help would just be knowing what the stats are. Like, Licenseless Rider has one stat maxed, two others a bit over half full, and everything else is mediocre, while Saitama's first page is either maximum or minimum for everything (except the last, which is a question mark). I'm curious who scored what here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

why dragon gotta be stronger than demon? seems kinda arbitrary. maybe it's just me but i'd imagine a demon would be scarier/stronger.

Japanese standards. These aren't Satan-style demons, but things like ogres and oni and whatnot, compared to massive eastern dragons.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Togashi's art is pretty good when he isn't submitting napkin scribbles because why the gently caress not; the art that made it into the volume releases is usually rather good.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm kind of curious/worried about how he's going to be handled too, because as great as some individual moments are he's a really gross character. I guess we'll see.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

It still astounds me that some people prefer the first anime, for any reason.

Most people I've seen who like the first anime better are people who saw the first anime before seeing the manga, it became their "real" HxH so to speak, and they didn't like the differences between it and the manga/second anime, or something like that. I don't know exactly; most of the changes I'm aware of were for the worse, with a few even being somewhat concerning, but I guess if that's your original then it's the manga that seems weird.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a fair amount of cyborgs going around too. Genos, Engine Knight (if he's not a robot or something), that one dude in B-class the Sea King wrecked at the shelter, etc. It seems a lot more common than powers are, at least.

Tangent, some of the heroes are pretty awesome even without powers; Stinger wiped out all the fishmen until the Sea King crushed him. He was quite a badass, really; that was one of the best non-Saitama showings from heroes we've seen in the series in general.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boy that's a lot of ONE version spoilers being posted here, over the past day or two. Not just that translation, people were talking about Zombieman and Sweet Mask and what they do for a while before that, and a bunch of other things I, reading the Murata version, had no idea about until they said them. So that's fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

You're not reading the Murata version well if Handsomely Masked Sweet Mask is new to you. Normally I'd let it slide without comment since it's hard to keep things in chronological order when the man is constantly redrawing everything but the part where HMSM first appears is literally posted again on this same page.

And, speaking of Murata redrawing things, did he ever change Garou's hero hit list or add text saying he'd rearrange it since the placement of some heroes differed from panel to panel?

That's not what I said at all. You're either not reading my post or you're strawmanning me. Either way, I wasn't talking about his existence (he's in the show already even), but what his abilities are; so far all we've seen him do is destroy a monster or two, seemingly with physical strength alone, and people were talking about... Other things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Lemme grab your post to make sure I get my thoughts in order.

So, I read this and thought you were talking about Sweet Mask's existence since he was spoilered. Along with Zombieman, in fact since Murata's passed showing off all the S-classes excluding Blast. So yeah, you're right, I misread it. My bad.

No worries; on rereading my post I realized I worded it more vaguely than intended. I thought the official rules for this thread were no ONE spoilers at all, so I figured I'd A. Put the names of those involved under the spoiler tags (so people who didn't see it wouldn't realize "hey these people have something weird going on with them") and B. Be vague as to what exactly was spoiled about them (to avoid "oh, so these two have this particular sort of reveal coming up?"), but looking again I can see how you got that I was saying their existences are spoilers. Whoops. Yeah, though, I remember seeing both of them, just, we haven't seen much of either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sharktamer posted:

Those are the rules though, if it hasn't happened yet in the Murata redraw, don't talk about it. That list up there gives details about the end of the current arc multiple times. They may be inconsequential, but still just don't talk about them here.

Okay, that's what I thought. I haven't read the ONE version, as I said earlier, I was just trying to avoid repeating the spoilers that other people had stated I got, well, spoiled on.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Pri-Pri-Prisoner takes a ton of blows from the Sea King but at least his body remains intact.

Hell, the B-Rank Cyborg also got wrecked by the Sea King whereas the 3 other heroes just got knocked out.

ONE is racist against cyborgs is my conclusion.

Well, Genos was doing well until he blocked the acid spit with his body, which is what really got him. After that he was already mostly-destroyed and couldn't fight back.

Bad Seafood posted:

Rank is based on known/presumed accomplishments, not power.

Well, general rank; starting rank is decided by ability. Sort of. Saitama being kind of dumb put him in C, but Genos getting a perfect score put him in S from the start.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah but when people are asking how Child Emperor could possibly outrank Pri-Pri Prisoner, or how anybody can outrank King, that's why.

Oh, of course. No question there.

Metal Bat is awesome and I am totally rooting for him in his current fight, though given the "villain clowns everyone until facing Saitama" thing I don't think he's going to be successful.

The youngest known heroes so far are...

Child Emperor (S-Rank) - 10
Lily (B-Rank) - 15
Metal Bat (S-Rank) - 17
Genos (S-Rank), Blue Fire (A-Rank) - 19

Clearly the young ones are powerful.

Oh jeez, Blue Fire's only nineteen? That's rather young to get your hand ripped off. Hopefully Garou didn't finish him off. (Given his apparent lack of a body count otherwise I doubt he did, especially combined with how humans never seem to die in this despite things like the meteor wrecking the city, but still.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wittgen posted:

So I just reread the sea king part and noticed that the prophecy about the Earth being in trouble comes immediately after Saitama choosing to take the fall as a cheat to make sure the other heroes got there due. Kind of makes me think that the prophecy is about Saitama. Are there other compelling theories about the prophecy?

Well, Boros was one, given his complete annihilation of a city, but he got taken out so fast that the prophecy is probably a looming threat still. It's probably not Garou either, as cool as he is. Whatever comes next, perhaps?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

That more a heartbeat of excitement than fear - he gets to play video games... yay!

The King Engine truly is roaring here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good grief. I'm pretty sure Metal Bat would kill Garou in a single hit if he could actually connect. And MB's one of the lowest ranked S-Class, just above Pri-Pri-Prisoner and GenosDemon Cyborg, right? With Tatsumaki at the top (not counting Blast, who is a mystery), there's quite a range there in power, but they're all pretty dang powerful. King excepted, but he's there under the assumption that he's responsible for several of Saitama's kills which would have done who knows how much damage otherwise, so. I'm interested in seeing more S-Class in action sometime.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matlock Birthmark posted:

As repulsive as he might be, I'd love to get a side story going more into what Pig God's deal is.

Yeah, like, he's a huge mystery; we haven't seen him do anything, but he's rank 10 in S-Class, putting him just below the middle of the pack there, ahead of Metal Bat (who we've seen to be a complete badass), Watchdog-Man (another mystery, but can apparently watch over one of the most dangerous cities on his own), and others, so he must be pretty dang formidable.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh man is her name really just "Tank-Top Girl"? I don't know if that's hilarious or sad. Is her rank listed?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baal posted:

I want to know what a God-Class level threat is if Sea King and Boros did not qualify

Boros's ship would have been God if it didn't go down immediately, I imagine; the city was destroyed outright and it seemed to have plenty of ammo, and it was Saitama's punching everything inside that did the most damage to it so we don't really know if Tatsumaki could have brought it down herself. Heck, even the giant guy from early on was probably Dragon, since just falling over after getting punched was enough for him to wipe out an entire city.

The thing is, both of those things got ended before they could do much, with the most damage the latter accomplished being from his defeat. They were major threats, but Saitama just ended them before their pull power could be revealed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The "I became a <noun> with a threat level of <rank>!" "Threat Level: <lower rank>" joke is already one of my favorites, but I love that it not only claims to be a threat level that's pretty unimpressive compared to even the random one-offs we've seen, but it's actually an even lower level than that. This is great.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chiasaur11 posted:

Mr. Satan is just the world's greatest martial artist. King is the most powerful man in the world.

Therefore, Mr. Satan could easily beat Bang, but he would lose to King, because King never has to use martial arts, instead relying on his absurd raw power. Q.E.D.

Nah, you have it backwards; note that King is rank 7, while Bang, who is decidedly not the strongest man in the world, is up at 3, and Mr. Satan is an even more skilled martial artist. He would neutralize King's strength with his technique and defeat him, though it would be a challenge.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This conversation is getting really lame and one-up-y.

I thought the conversation was a joke; having a stereotypical power levels contest but for two incredibly, hilariously weak characters people so powerful analyzing them is pointless.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Goku's brother is evil trash though. How's he a bad brother?

Goku helped kill his brother and didn't seem particularly regretful. I don't think we'll see Metal Bat help kill his sister.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Goku's brother showed up on Earth and killed a farmer, attacked his best friend, intimidated his future buddy, incapacitated him, stole his son and beat him and his alien friend up. I think he was remorseful about his brother being evil though, and that's why he let his tail go when he asked the first time right?

Plus, he was stronger than the two of them at the time so if they hadn't killed him he would've gone and killed everyone at Kame House. And then everyone else with a high enough power level to show up on his Scouter.

I was making a joke. Killing your brother is hard to spin as being a good brother. I mean, if you want to be serious about it, you could argue that standing by your family above all else is the right thing, but A. You would be wrong, and B. I think his son would supersede his brother there anyway. But that's not funny.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 13, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

This looks tremendously stylish.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say; I wasn't going to use "tremendously" but "stylish" is exactly the word I was going to use. That looks really good.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay, when you said "short", I wasn't expecting that short.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought ONE was still writing everything, and Murata just drew the extra material, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

It's a side-story interrupting the main plot. It's filler. It doesn't matter if One is writing it or not.

How is it a side story, exactly? "The main plot" and "the part you like more" are not the same thing. It's a new story, but it's part of the same plot as what came before and presumably what is going to come after it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Garou is the main plot.

EDIT: I can understand how you might've forgotten him since it's been like a year since he appeared.

Garou's plot was a lead in to the monster uprising or whatever from what I can tell. This is part of that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Because future events are already set, therefore no characters can meaningfully grow or the world be meaningfully impacted because we know that in a future arc the characters and setting will look exactly like it did at the start of the "filler" arc. When you're writing a linear story anything added in the middle afterwards without changing later parts is by definition inconsequential because we have evidence of the lack of consequences it has.

You wrote a lot without saying anything here. Also you're wrong; this seems to be an expansion of the plot and not merely a series of events that will not go anywhere. I haven't read the ONE version but as I understand it (because people are bad at the no spoilers thing) we're basically seeing things that were skipped over/not shown in that version, so it's not like this isn't progressing things. It's filling in a gap where things did happen, they just weren't seen previously.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

Then maybe you should read the ONE stuff so you know what the gently caress people are talking about?! Because what you are saying isn't the bloody case.

Okay, let me be more clear, since you either misunderstood me or are a moron in addition to an rear end in a top hat: I was explicitly spoiled on things, and yes. We're seeing what happened in the time between what last happened in the ONE version before the new stuff started, and what happens next in that version. We aren't told everything that happened then, because it just timeskipped over it, but that doesn't mean nothing happened in that period of time. In fact, things quite explicitly did happen, which lines up with what we've been seeing. We're seeing what happened in that timeskip, instead of the plot jumping forward an indeterminate amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, 90% is an A-, or just an A if you're not using +/- in your grades in most places as far as I'm aware. A B would be 80-89%.