Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Several people (including myself) were having issues with purchasing and downloading new content from the eShop recently. The Error Code I was getting was 005-6535, and after looking it up on Nintendo's support site, it turns out that it's an "Invalid Zip Code or Address" error. Even though my address worked perfectly fine before, I imagine one of their eShop software updates probably just messed things up a bit. I followed the "Additional Steps" on this page and now it works fine: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=005-6535&system=3DS&locale=lang#country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Aeroporter is super fun, y'all. I've only played three levels so far, but if it continues to be this addicting I could see it being a "Must Buy" recommendation for the eShop based both on addicting nature and price point.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bongo Bill posted:

The Wario series skipped me and I'm still not entirely sure how, so I resolved to play them all in order (minus the Virtual Boy one) for that reason. The Ambassador version of Wario Land 4 will be waiting for me when I'm ready for it.

Since you brought it up, let me say that the Virtual Boy game is quite good, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That 3DS system update seems to be giving a not-insignificant subset of people trouble leading to an error code and the loss of ability to access both the eShop itself and System Settings. Beware.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I may as well cross-post this from the General 3DS thread. Someone in there asked for impressions on the new Mario vs. DK: Minis on the Move game, so I wrote some up and described the various game modes in a few different posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529734&userid=117149#post415294150

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya is kind of like Fire Emblem, but really simplified. There's no permanent death penalty so you can be wreckless if you want.

I preferred it to the Genesis games because the battles were more fun than the generic RPG town stuff.

The thing about Sword of Hajya is that it's actually the second of two main episodes from Shining Force CD. For whatever reason, they never remade the first episode for the Game Gear. They also changed a few things in Hajya, including the locations of the hidden characters and swapping the damage and maybe the ranges on level 3 and 4 spells (making Freeze 3 ludicrously strong in Hajya). Still, it's a fun little title and I look forward to playing it again on my 3DS whenever they get around to releasing it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Other way around - the Game Gear games were the originals, SFCD was the remake. There are three Game Gear games but only the second got an English release.

Oh really? I've been getting that backwards all this time. Thanks for the correction.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Artix posted:

You know what, for as bad as the VC launch was, if they keep up this thing where they do a themed week with a deal and then a standalone release or two between them (sometimes with their own deal, a la SMB2), I think the Wii U VC is going to be alright.

Remember that the 3DS didn't even launch with its eShop and now it's looking pretty ok. The WiiU VC will be fine, given time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Are you fuckin kidding me, I just bought Link n' Launch aaaaaaaaaa

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

homeless snail posted:

Link n' Launch is incredible, everyone needs to own that. In terms of awesome IntSys puzzle games, its DSiWare's Pushmo.

Now I feel bad for recommending it to you :(

Nah, man, it's all good. Just a funny sort of irony to it is all. I'm sure they're be something else to spend coins on soon enough anyway.

Speaking of Link n' Launch, despite going through the Tutorials and even the Advanced Tricks portions, I'm really bad at it. It's well put together, though!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Project X Zone demo is up on the NA eShop now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Also wow, only 5 uses on the demo. Stingy.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I just played through the Project X Zone demo once. I can see where people are coming from with regards to it getting repetitive in a bad way later on, but just playing one level felt fine and fun. There is a lot to take in in the game, and I honestly didn't understand some of the gameplay systems, but what I did understand was using the third "Solo" character in a group (e.g., Devilotte with Ryu and Ken) and/or another pair close enough on the map as a "Support" attack both helped open up the enemies' guard so they'd actually get juggled and take damage.

Now that I have the flow of battle down somewhat, I think I'll want to try it again in a little while and see if I can start understanding things like how best to apply the Skills each team has (think Seishin/map skills in Super Robot Wars) and which combo patterns work best for maximum damage and XP building.

Speaking of, one annoying thing is the presence of EXP as experience and XP sort of a mana pool that you can use on those Skills and on doing what basically amount to super attacks in battle.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Holy poo poo, Mighty Switch Force 2, Picross-e, Sword of Hajya, Mean Bean Machine, and Columns, all in the same week. Good job, NoA, even if we should've had some of this poo poo way earlier.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I never owned any Sega systems growing up, how is Shining Force?

All the Shining Force games before 3 on the Saturn are pretty much "child's first SRPG" in that they are really super basic compared to any other game in the genre. I say that as someone who loved the series as a kid and still loves the old Force games to this day. You're not worried about things like back attacks, character relationships, weapons with limited uses, going into an item's pocket dimension and beating 100 randomly generated levels to power up the item, etc. There's just characters in their particular classes, with your usual stat progression on level-up and sometimes a learned spell here and there for the magic folks.

Specifically speaking to Sword of Hajya, as one of the Game Gear titles it cut out the overworld and town exploration aspect from the Genesis games (which mostly means no finding hidden items in chests or barrels or walls or whatever in those segments), making it purely about the battles and exposition. If you want an SRPG to play, and have either never played a Shining Force game or just want an SRPG experience that is extremely easy to get into and not incredibly demanding planning-wise, then you could do a lot worse for your $4.

Also, on a minor spoilery note gameplay-wise, two of the later battles have playable characters hidden somewhere on the map. You have to face the square they are hidden in and Search to find them. I only mention it because there's almost no indication that this would even be a thing.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 13, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I know every single character except the loving catgirl from Yumeria. I also know all the previous games because I am the world's biggest dork. :smith:

Basically the biggest problem is that I just don't think it's a great game and any OP I wrote would reflect that, which probably isn't the best way to get people to buy the weird obscure hyper-anime game from Japantown.

I'm sure if you went ahead and made the thread, then those of us who have more of a positive opinion of the game (or at least less negative) can chime in afterwards. I don't want to make the thread myself though because I'm not super knowledgeable about the series as a whole and only really know stuff about like 3/4s of the characters at most.

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah my friend is a big time Sega fan and I think part of why he didn't hop on it day one is because beyond a few characters most of Sega's stuff is lacking American visibility. That being said if this game accomplished anything it's made me want to play Resonance of Fate due to their enemy designs.

Resonance of Fate is a lot of fun gameplay-wise. The story is sorta nonsensical but these things happen I guess.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

FredMSloniker posted:

Any suggestions for a game in the $10 or less price point? I'm more interested in games that aren't rereleases of GB/SNES/Genesis/whatever games, but suggest 'em anyway if you really think they're worth my time. I'm looking for value for money, and it's also important that I not be stuck in that one game for long periods of time, either because you can save or suspend save freely or because each play session is bite-sized.

Pushmo and Crashmo
Mario and DK: Minis on the Move
Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2
Sakura Samurai

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's some footage of Game Freak's new solitaire/horse racing game in acrion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-0U9Z2T0w

This video makes the game look way more interesting than when I first heard about it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Rhythm Thief appears to be $20 on the NA eShop now.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fawf posted:

I'm away from my 3DS. Is this is a sale or a permanent price drop?

I didn't see anything indicating it was a sale, but I also didn't look that hard.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fancy Hat! posted:

SO! I guess we US kids finally get Inazuma 11, huh? Is it any good?

I enjoyed it quite a bit when I imported it for the DS. If you like Soccer, Action-ish RPGs, and don't mind having to do a lot of stylus work, then go for it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Kirios posted:

Anyone play them yet to do a trip report about how they look on the screen / Gamepad?

I played maybe 5 minutes of Advance Wars just to check it out. It looks fantastic on the Gamepad but not quite as good on my 32" LCD. I was mostly judging by the text, which looked fine on the smaller screen but obviously quite blocky on the big screen. Still, it and I imagine the other two games should both be totally playable either way.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

You don't have to add any minimum amount, and certainly not $50. There's an "add exact funds" option that comes up during the checkout process, it's been there for years now.

Even without that, I believe the four available options were always $5, $10, $20, and $50.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I watched the short little eShop video for that Grinsia game, and it was giving me a Phantasy Star 4 vibe, although that might've just been because the characters walking around the various locations felt almost c/ped from that game. In fact, a lot of the art assets seemed more than just a little inspired by Genesis and SNES RPGs. I wonder if anyone out there has bothered to preview/review it.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 9, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Oh, I wasn't going to buy it, I was just curious if someone out there has played it, really.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

For what it's worth, I overall enjoyed my experience with Project X Zone despite some of the game's pacing issues. Even though a lot of the endgame entails fighting what are basically a ton of bosses, it ends up not being too bad to take them out in a reasonable amount of time as long as you manage MAP Attacks, the single target ultimate attacks (the name escapes me at the moment), and item usage. It also helps to have a few of the units+solo character combos be set up to generate as many Cross Points in a turn as possible to help fund those big attacks for your heavy hitters.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Is NA not getting the Pushmo World discount deal? That sorta sucks, still gonna get it though because Pushmo is the best.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I've been trying to redeem coins for that Metal Torrent game on Club Nintendo for the past 2.5 days, and every time it eventually comes up with "something went wrong but your coins are safe with Wario." Is redeeming coins just hosed for everyone or is this something to be concerned about?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I finally decided to try the Club Nintendo reward redemption in a different browser (my usual is Chrome) and it worked just fine first time. Of course, now that I got it to work, I'm getting a message on the 3DS eShop that it's down for maintenance again, so I guess I just can't win with this poo poo at the moment.

Edit: As for Chrome, I did have a reboot between attempts, but I didn't think about clearing the cache, so maybe that's the problem on my end.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Is Metal Torrent any good? Thinking of grabbing it with my coins, but it's really hard to make a good shmup, so I'm worried that it's garbage.

I picked it up with coins and played through a bit, and I'd say it's pretty okay for the price of coins, maybe not for actual dollars though.

The game has two difficulties, basically, which are tied to the abilities of the two different ships. The ship on normal difficulty has a wider spread for its normal fire (unlike other shmups, you don't collect powerups to increase your normal shots or spread, btw). Its special weapon is basically a shot negating pulse that turns the shots it negates into point cubes. This pulse is tied to a three tiered energy bar and uses approximately 1/6th of the bar per pulse. The bar is refilled by getting point cubes, and if your chain of cubes gets high enough, you can pretty much pulse non-stop because it fills up that fast. Finally, the pulse will go off automatically if your ship is hit, unless you have too little energy in the gauge, at which point your ship dies. Edit: I forgot to mention that the pulse special weapon also seems to hit all enemies on screen, as well.

The harder difficulty ship has a slightly smaller spread on its normal weapon. It might be just a hair slower, too? It was tough to tell. Its special weapon is two things in one: a shot slowing field near the ship and a laser that only fires straight ahead. The laser can be fired at all times, but the shot slowing field only works if you have sufficient energy in the gauge. The shots of any enemy killed by the laser become point cubes, but using the laser also slows your own movement down considerably, so it feels like you have to juggle between normal shots and just a quick pulse of the laser to kill things for optimal effect.

The game has a Pattern Mode and Random Mode, both of which consist of 8 waves with 3 bosses (after the 2nd, 5th, and 8th waves). Pattern Mode is the same every time, I guess, so it's there for people to optimize for max points on the now defunct online leaderboards I guess.

Anyway, that's really about it. Like I said at the start, I wouldn't pay actual money for the game even if I were a hardcore shmup fan, but for 200 coins it seems like a decent enough time-waster that can be played in quick bursts.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I know this gets said every time there's a big Club Nintendo promotion, but their service seems to be really messed up at the moment. I just logged in and it seemed fine, except by entire To-Do List was blank despite it having something like a dozen entries last time I logged in. I then went to redeem my Platinum reward for a copy of Game and Wario only for it to tell me my reward had already been redeemed. I guess I'll wait a day and see if it straightens itself out.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Has the eShop price for Phoenix Wright vs. Professor Layton been announced anywhere? It shows as TBD in the eShop itself. I'm going to be out of town visiting friends on the 29th, so if the eShop price is competitive with the $30 Amazon price I'd probably just go ahead and get it digitally so I can have it on my 3DS for the bus ride back home.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ineffiable posted:

Pretty sure it's gonna be 40 bucks. Digital on Nintendo is always going to start at rrp

Normally I'd agree, but half the retailers on this Nintendo page are offering it at $30 straight out of the gate. Gamestop is at $32 and Target is at $40, but the rest are $30, so I don't really know what to think. I guess I'll just stay with the physical preorder to be safe.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Chronojam posted:

I got a great twinbellows cannon early on and it was awesome for many, many chapters. Weapons vary considerably even within a class.

This is very true and is one of the many things that makes the game so charming.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Suspicious Cook posted:

Played the first three levels of KI:U and it's super fun. I can feel it in my left wrist, though. I'll probably need to prop my 3DS up on something or I'll wind up with Sakurai hands.

I tended to play KI:U sitting crosslegged either in a chair or in bed, with a pillow in my lap and the 3DS sitting down on that with the bottom screen down flat. That worked for me the best.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here are a couple budget sidescrollers scheduled for release on the NA 3DS eShop over the next couple weeks:

Ninja Battle Heroes, developed by Tom Create. $2.99, out October 9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtfXf5h06Yc

Legend of Dark Witch, published by Circle Entertainment, developed by a doujin group that includes people who've worked on games like Melty Blood and Under Night In-Birth. $3.99, out October 16.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZaYN4FMRpc

The ninja game looks sorta bland but that Dark Witch one actually looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's two more codes for NA Monster Hunter 4:

A0717QVD2J3DNFKP
A0710SCL0DQN3W8J

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If you like Punchout, then get Doc Louis's Punchout as it will never be available again*

*Without homebrew, that is.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The first game still isn't out in PAL-land but whatever, Inti Creates has annoinced Gunvolt 2!

http://inticreates.com/azure-striker-gunvolt-2/

I'm getting "Error establishing a database connection" but cool to know that it's in the works. I guess I should finally get around to playing the first one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

mabels big day posted:

Dammit that is when I work!

Prank your boss and maybe you'll be asked to leave early.