Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I just checked out of curiosity, it's almost exactly but not quite the same adapter as the 3DS charger. I'd complain about it but I guess they finally got on board with the Switch using USB C so :confuoot: I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Have any of the reviewers gotten past mom's heart? If there were issues with the port, I wouldn't expect them until after that point.

Toxic Shock and Butt Bombs are wreaking merry havoc with the game, probably because of the filters. Azazel + Butt Bombs + Mutant Spider + No. 2 made it nearly unplayable.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I mean don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game and with this much slowdown they'll probably just patch out the screen filters for those abilities, but...be careful what you pick up or you might kill any enjoyment of your victory lap.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the physical Switch version supposed to be rare? Wondering if I should throw it up on eBay instead of returning it.

Anecdotally not rare, but ymmv.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deadwing posted:

For the record, I've done a run with basically the same setup as that guy and didn't get any slowdown.

This was also docked and on a TV screen, which I didn't think to rectify at the time, but now I wish I had done a comparison. NEXT RUN

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deadwing posted:

I was playing in Handheld mode, and essentially had all the stuff you did but Issac was my character model

Good news, apparently they added victory laps since the last time I played. (Also I found the slowdown!)

Insert joke about the above being gifs, not still images

I regret that I missed taking pictures of when I got Death's Scythe and a bunch of Tears Up because I tripped across an Explosive Diarrhea pill that brought everything to a near-stop for a good 30 seconds (the middle picture is a bomb).

But yeah the upshot is "you can absolutely slow it to a crawl but you pretty much either have to work at it or accidentally take horrible item combos".

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scratch-O posted:

Am I wrong in being disappointed by this? My brother's PC that was built in 2010 plays Rebirth at a constant 60 unless you do something stupid like exploiting the blank card to spawn like a thousand pickups in one room.

Oh right, Nicalis. Never mind.

I hadn't done anything with BoI since Rebirth and not only is it far, far easier now to get exploitative infinite item combos (I'm looking at you, Dice Shard), you can really get the game into massive slowdown states accidentally just by picking up random passives on victory laps.

I mean I guess it is what it is but I don't think the game would be significantly compromised by cutting down on some of those fullscreen graphic filters they like to apply :shrug:

Rirse posted:

Aka just keep playing Breath of the Wild, Shovel Knight, Blaster Master, and Binding of Isaac.

aka "Maybe I'll do something productive this week in my free time"

Hopefully we don't end up with the same kind of random content droughts like we did for the 3DS

heh

heheh

heh

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Patter Song posted:

After M2 put all that work into several dozen 3D Classic versions of Sega Genesis games that run better than they ran on original hardware, it'd be kind of a shame to go back to straight-up Genesis emulation.

On the one hand yes, on the other hand I feel like as soon as those games get "converted" they're promptly never touched again and I don't know if it's because A. they didn't sell well enough the first time around to make it worth going through again, or B. because whatever devs did the conversion now have to be dealt with for the new console and the additional hoops just aren't worth it.

Sonic 3&K got a DS port and disappeared, Sonic CD got an iOS port (blech, touchscreen controls) and I haven't seen it on a handheld at all...I know they got 1 and 2 redone as "3D classics" for the 3DS so I'm kind of crossing my fingers that they're still working their way through the catalogue, but I guess we'll see.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scratch-O posted:

Why are they still putting stuff out for the Wii U, even VC? The Switch has, like, six games total. They can put Pikmin 2 on the Wii U, but they don't even have one NES or SNES game ready for their new console that's been out for three weeks?

"People are buying it so we must be doing everything right, including the things that are inexcusably dumb" :downs:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you know how we all generally agreed the WiiU was pretty much dead and done with Breath of the Wild?

Turns out there is one final punchline to be told; The Warmastered Edition of Darksiders is getting a WiiU release on the 23rd of May, meaning that the console's library will actually end on a 3rd-party title :allears:.

Apparently they have two Switch projects in development as well. I wonder if it's literally going to be DS1+2, I can't imagine they'd put that much dev time into DS1 on a dead platform and not think about putting it on the Switch as well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Details on when they're going to start thinking about considering looking into the possibility of virtual console on Switch would be nice

we won't hear anything about it until E3 most likely

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

I guess they need something to pad the presentation out given they won't have any actual games to show

The feeling I get is that most switch early adopters with that horrible "nostalgia" disease would be more hyped about Gamecube VC games on the switch than, say, ARMS

But that might be giving nintendo too much credit and E3 is actually going to be announcing Wonderful 102

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

Kamiko totally has me sitting on a fence. It's really good and polished and fun, but it's so short. It's also only $5 though. I had a good time, but I beat the game with all three characters in under 3 hours. Then again, the characters all play very differently, but the "puzzles" are the same each playthrough.

Basically, I'd say it's worth $5, but you might end up as confused as I am on how to feel about it.

It was worth it to me, even though it's honestly more like 2 hours of gametime (1 hour for the first playthrough, and then 30-or-less for the followup speed runs). The aesthetic is my jam and I want the developer to make more, so it was worth it.

My only sort of complaint is that the "secret" is just a sound test mode. I was expecting some combo-character wrap-up final level or something so that left a bit of a bitter last-minute taste.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

alf_pogs posted:

sorry i was a bit drunk on cheap beer

wind waker hd good, buy it

Can I just note how amused I am that WWHD is $20 while TPHD is still $50 :allears:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JustJeff88 posted:

Looks like Axiom Verge for the Switch was pushed back a month or so.

Given that it seems to be $20 now and I could have sworn it was 30-40 on first announce, I'm pretty okay with that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JustJeff88 posted:

Where did you see that? Amazon is still showing the Switch version at $30 for the regular edition and $40 for the Multiverse edition, not including the Prime discount for physical copies.

Why can't you screencap the store, nintendo :negative:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I was surprised to see AV on the list because I had just searched it and came up with an Oct 17th release date, so presumably the physical release will be later this month.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol my local Walmart still sells new Wii games (Mario kart and all stars at least). They also have brand new copies of the ps2 gta compilation.

Walmart was selling Diablo 2 and Starcraft 1 war chests until probably not that long so and some quite possibly still do, unless they finally actually ran out of stock

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Froist posted:

What's the spoiler-free take on RiME? I kept seeing adverts for it and liked the art style, but I know nothing about the gameplay (and was waiting for it on Switch if anywhere, because all other platforms are dead to me).

Is it worth picking up? Waiting for a sale? At the moment I've got Odyssey to finish off ("completed" it last night), Stardew and Golf Story, and I already picked up Rocket League this week (though that's more of a social game) so I'm not exactly short of Switch games right now.

The port quality has been referenced, but the gameplay itself is an exploration/puzzle game with some mild platforming. You're able to interact with things by yelling at them, so most of the puzzles involve a kind of Myst-style "here's a mechanism, figure out how to interact with it properly" kind of deal but (again, so far) the puzzles have been self-contained and not a "write down this sequence from the beginning of the game and use it at the end of the game" deal.

A big chunk of the game is the atmosphere/immersion and the random jank really fucks with that (at least for me), so I'm not sure if I'll actually play it much further than I have or give it a week to see if they at least announce that they're working on some fixes for it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sarchasm posted:

I really enjoyed Bravely Default but only got about fifteen minutes into BD2 before thinking "God help me I cannot do this again." Having it on the Switch might push me over the edge, though...

:same:, although I got through it eventually (with absolutely no desire to do any of the post-endgame-ish grinding content).

At the very least, BD2 has a hell of a lot less canonical repetition, even if the game world is about the same size. Which is not to say that it has no repetition, but that's kind of telegraphed by some of the gameplay mechanics.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rirse posted:

Jeez at this pace we going to have the entire Neo Geo library before the Virtual Console appears.

"We've already released a virtual console, that's all you're getting"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fawf posted:

Maybe it got fixed but Binding of Issac on New 3DS was rear end when it launched

I think it's fair to say Nicalis isn't great at lower powered console optimization and the patch approval turnaround didn't/isn't doing them favors, but at least on the switch they're not biting off more than they can chew on any individual port.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dehry posted:

As a backer of Cryamore I stopped buying Kickstarter games.

This but Mighty Number 9

Phantasium posted:

As a backer of Bloodstained, it's pretty great that the stretch goal minigame was conjured up out of nowhere by a separate team to release in two weeks and also looks good.

I was going to say that Inticreates is just a company full of ex-Capcom devs that's responsible for the only good Mighty Number 9 game and also so far the only good Mega Man spiritual successor (even if it's by way of MMZ), but I have no idea how involved directly they are with the Bloodstained dev work either.

I will say that all things considered yeah it's probably two different teams working on each portion. It wouldn't surprise me if Inti has a dedicated "retro" team ever since Blaster Master Zero came out and was good, and they can bang out games with a lot less "fully rendered 2.5D ragdoll-enabled physics engine" overhead/artwork/etc required.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, there's a new Gunvolt game in development for the Switch as well. This one apparently exclusively staring Copen.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NETEc3R7bwg

Also as far as Megaman spiritual sequels go I thought Shovel Knight was pretty good as well.

In my shameful defense shovel knight is so fantastically good that I've apparently ceased to register it as a "spiritual successor" to anything anymore. Not like Gunvolt being "MMZ but not" or Axiom Verge being "Metroid but not", it's just shovel knight.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'd much sooner recommend Shovel Knight to a MM fan than Gunvolt - it's a fine series but it doesn't really play like any variety of MM and is more of a niche title in general.

I mean, gunvolt feels like MMZ in most aspects, it's just that MMZ out of the gate had very little in common with traditional MM games beyond the backstory. They were all a lot closer to later castlevanias than megaman, tbh.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Go for a twofer, call it "the dark souls of roguelikes"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is cheating still a big issue with modern pc games?

varies by game, the division was client-authoritative lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Flame in the Flood has a "definitive" patch that made it to PC/PS4 but not Switch*, and I have no idea if heart and slash ever got their unity fix for the unplayable broken bug they had. Devs are lazy yo.

*that I know of

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

absolutely anything posted:

wario land 1 is good, virtual boy wario land is more good, wario land 2 is one of the best games on the game boy, wario land 3 is a toilet game, wario land 4 is good, shake it is mediocre

this has been the Ranking Of Warios

:wrong:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

alf_pogs posted:

space station silicon valley

:same:

I still haven't gotten it to run properly in any emulator

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lobster posted:

Will you guys shame me for buying everything and then only kinda playing it here?

I filled up a 64GB card on my 3DS with legitimate purchases, and I've played maybe half of them. Judgement free zone ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Agent Escalus posted:

Does anyone else have a hunch that Starlink getting a $20 discount so soon after its release is a sign that its initial numbers are underperforming?

If the point is "draw people into the game so they buy the toys" then I feel like that's probably not a huge indication of poo poo performance, but I also think they're insane to have thrown out a toy-based game in 2018 after 3-4 bigger names have long since cancelled their entries into the genre so who knows