Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So Jimmy from the clue crew is a pretty cool dude, he dropped in on the auditions in Tampa today. He's far shorter than I thought he'd be.

In other news, if Alex really is retiring and does so before I can get on the show, I will cut a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

uublog posted:

From what I read, his contract is still through 2016. So you've got time.

You seem to be correct, this is a relief.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

escape artist posted:

A logistical question: How much did it cost her for travel expenses? I'm in Florida and if I have to go to California, it's going to cost a bit... Plane ticket, some fleabag motel... Probably have to get a suitable few outfits too.

If the minimum I get is $1,000, and I spend more than that on travel expenses, I might end up losing money by appearing on Jeopardy.

Did you go to the auditions in Tampa back in March? I was at the 11am session.

They did mention that they have a deal with a hotel right by the studio, so I got the impression that we don't have to worry about hotel, only airfare, so if you make third place you'll at the very least break even.

Whoever mentioned you can deduct the expenses was correct, you DON'T have to be a business. You can also deduct gambling losses in the same way as long as you're reporting some gambling income, so...yeah. Tax codes are weird. I do think you have to file California state income taxes despite living in Florida (a state without an income tax, which sounds awesome until you take a look at our schools, roads, etc.) because the income was earned in that state regardless of your residency. I'm sure they have handlers who walk every contestant through everything if you get that magic phone call we're all waiting for.

EDIT: Oh and if you get selected, fly Virgin American. I flew them last summer from Orlando to LAX non-stop (except for an unscheduled emergency landing in Dallas because the fuel pump quit, that was fun), and it was the best flight I ever took. They're not really any more expensive than anyone else, but it's a much more enjoyable experience, I won't fly anyone else. It was only like 450 round-trip.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm behind and just now cleaning out the old dvr. I'm sure this guy has been verbally beaten to death here, particularly his habit of jumping all over, but what what made me want to throw the remote was HOW he did it. "I'll take (category) but let's do it for (amount)." I thought it was odd when he first said it, but then he said it ALMOST EVERY TIME HE SELECTED A CLUE.

I get that people like to try to get all strategic in an incredibly simple game, even if it annoys the piss out of me, but please at least call the clues like you're from this planet.

(you could hear the contempt in Alex's voice, he has admitted several times that's his biggest pet peeve)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

escape artist posted:

What's Alex's pet peeve?

People jumping all over the board. Also phrasing their clue selections oddly, throws him off.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Are you talking about the current dude (Ben) or Andrew, who was on a few weeks ago and literally jumped from clue to clue like a kid with untreated ADD? I legitimately could not enjoy the show while he was on.

I think it was Andrew, I'm terrible with names, but he was on last week at the latest (I seriously had like 4 weeks of shows I ran through the other day).

It was Ben. He just did it again in this episode I'm watching from yesterday. "(category) but let's do it for (amount)". He's doing it less now, but stop saying unnecessary words that make you sound pompous. (Also, does he have eyes? He just scowls at the board the whole time)

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 10, 2013

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I haven't heard back after my audition yet, but it sucks that I can't take the test this year because of it :(

Can't they have an option to just take it for fun, maybe check a little box saying you're ineligible?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Human Cow posted:

I'm pretty sure they just say that so if you get out there and start uncontrollably vomiting or something they can say "well, we told you there was no guarantee!" You'll definitely be on unless you really screw something up.

Jimmy from the Clue Crew was at my audition (they happened to be filming a bunch of clues in Tampa and St. Augustine that week) and did a bit of a Q&A for us while we waited on the tests to be graded and he addressed this question directly. There was a rather large group of people who were pretty livid about the whole "pay for your own travel but we can't guarantee it's worth it" policy.

It's true it's covering their rear end for legal, but it's not as shady as you think. They film the shows in batches over 2 or 3 days, I forget which, and they will call out the contestants they need. However, on rare occasions, there are these weird things called TIES that result in needing only ONE contestant for the following show, or in VERY rare cases zero. As a result, the rotation gets hosed up and you might not make it on camera.

If that happens, you're sent home....but they pay for you to return the following week. Same thing happens if you're a champion on the final taping for the week; you're sent home and they pay to fly you back for any additional tapings as long as you keep winning.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

Just got invited to an audition! That was quick, the online test was only 3 weeks ago.

I just got the email as well! :dance:

Mine's also Savannah, but June 5th.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

but it's not like he's some rich guy who on a whim decided to...

Only he kind of is. He has nothing to really gain by going on the show other than proving that he can, it's not like he's a teacher or construction worker where winning 2 or 3 games radically changes their life. Hell, I live quite comfortably as a software engineer, but I would probably openly weep if my winnings got into 6 figures and my student loan debt vanished because I know random poo poo for a tv show.

There were WAY more issues with the biggest douchebag to ever appear on Survivor, Russel Hantz, but one of the biggest things that made the other players especially resent him (besides him literally throwing their clothing into the fire) was that he was already a multi-millionaire owner of an oil company. Who the gently caress wants to give a million dollars to that guy over the cafeteria lunch lady or struggling graduate student sitting next to him? Obviously James is way less of a raging rear end in a top hat (I hope), but it's the best parallel I can come up with in game show history for players resenting having their dream crushed by some rich guy to whom the grand prize means nothing.

Good on him for being able to pull off a streak like this, but it's absolutely understandable to me why he might not be the best person to see winning millions of dollars and crushing the dreams of "more deserving" players who would probably have started streaks of their own if he hadn't been standing in the way.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Sorry other people aren't obligated to like the guy you like, I guess?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahah why the gently caress would you put someone who's already rich on your contest show.

Because he is basically a sociopath who had zero chance of winning but constantly stirred up controversy, which means he was dragged along (twice, he appeared in back to back seasons) to the final because the other contestants knew he wouldn't receive a single vote. Which translates to great ratings because everyone just wants to see a meteor fall out of the sky to smite him (or get voted off, which never happened).

EDIT: This is also kind of summing up the point I was making about James. I have nothing against him personally, he's just not the kind of person I'd want to see as a contestant even before he went off on a massive streak.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 6, 2019

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

I'm going to pass an audition on my fourth try and be up against an 80 time champion, lol

Anyway the next dingus who actually gets one of the DDs away from James and bets anything but the house needs a beating.

I said yesterday if he keeps winning that guarantees I'll FINALLY get called up this time just to be thrown into the meat grinder.

Best case I'll be the guy who beats him and then ends up in the red the next episode and doesn't even get to stick around for final and everyone will give me poo poo for the rest of my life for it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

Wow a bunch of spoiler tags what could they possibly mean

Yup.

I'm now a LOT more excited for my audition this Wednesday :dance:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I’m not at all surprised that Emma has to take her stuff down for a few days, because men are awful.

Not that I'm on twitter at all anyway, but I'd want to delete my poo poo the day I got on the show and I'm not even a woman.

I don't understand this need people have to interact with thousands of strangers on there, it so rarely ends well for anyone.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I'm not on twitter, but the Facebook messages I got. Oh boy.

Also most women on Jeopardy always get this one guy who tries to get them to model for this new bra company he's "starting" (it's been going on for years). It's literally a running joke among us now.

At least on facebook I have my poo poo locked down, I think last I checked my security settings you can't even search me unless you're a friend of a friend. I basically just use it to keep in touch with friends and family, vent about politics into the void, and to manage my cat's page because she's awesome and you should all go like her (Phyrexian Obliterator, though a lot of people on these dumb forums know her already).

But I can only imagine the poo poo you got :(. Even if there's a chance it can go well, I have no interest in putting myself out there. Hell, I'll probably go into hiding from the internet like it's GoT spoiler season again just so I don't go down that rabbit hole of reading the poo poo people write about me.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

How'd you do? Mine is tomorrow

I just got home, it's a 5 hour drive each way.

I kicked its rear end, I think. At least, I feel WAY better than I did at my last audition back in 2009, with way fewer blank or uncertain questions on the written test(s). We actually took two tests, they wanted to test us on last year's test as well to compare the two in terms of difficulty. The first one I think I outright didn't know 5, and the second was only 3. I know one I hosed up that I realized about 30 seconds after I turned it in, but most of the ones I blanked on had to do with rap, which is my kryptonite.

I rocked the practice game, not missing any questions and buzzing in way more than I did last time.

Highlight of the day was during the warm-up to get us acquainted with the game and explain some poo poo about clues (like how Before&After works....dunno why anyone getting to this stage wouldn't know what, but it was a good warm-up). The clue was under "Quotation Marks", and was something like "O_u": Capital of Burkina Faso What is Ouagadougou, one of my favorite world capital names.

I shot my hand up thinking I was racing people but I don't think anyone else raised their hand, and I think the lady running it was pleasantly surprised that I didn't butcher the pronunciation. It was a nice confidence boost, anyway.

But I feel so much better about this than my last try, I think my first buzz-in not being a wrong answer helped by not derailing me right away (which is what I think killed me last time). My interview was pretty smooth and I think it stood out from almost everyone else answering"What do you like to do for fun?" with "I like to travel."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dick Jones posted:

Hey, I remember that Ouagadougou clue from my audition last summer. I missed like 3 art & religion questions on the written test and blanked on an easy Steinbeck clue in the practice game, but the practice game isn't really about getting all the clues. I think my interview/camera presence was kinda meh, but I'm still in the pool until next January. The one thing that kept nagging me after the practice game was "did I really beat the other players on the buzzer, or did the coordinator throw it to me out of fairness?"

Two non-rap clues bugged the poo poo out of me. One was about Dylan Thomas; I could see the fucker's face and hear his voice in a clip of an interview I JUST saw like 3 days ago, but my brain froze up on his name. The other was a before and after and again, could see the face and hear the voice, couldn't remember Emma Stone's name.

Needless to say those two names are now engraved on the inside of my skull.

EDIT: Re: buzzer timing: For sure they were spreading it around so everyone got a chance, so it's hard to tell.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 6, 2019

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GhostStalker posted:

Who’d you have running your audition? Maggie, Corina, or someone else? The two I mentioned are good people, especially Maggie.

I think it was Corina running mine but I'm terrible with names. She told us a lot about how she's the one in charge of converting our anecdotes to Alex's little cards and coaching us on the stories the day of shooting and stuff.

Funniest moment of the day is her inadvertently dropping an f-bomb when telling us how important it is to immediately select a new clue (something very few people seemed able to remember to do, same with speaking loudly...thankfully I didn't have to be corrected, since I'm sure that factors in).

She was talking about how that always leads to a few clues being left uncovered on the board, and she said something like, "How much do you love it, as a viewer, when it's ALWAYS a category you love and there are two fuckin' clues....oops."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

Just finished my audition. Yeah, that was Corina. No F bombs, but I was a little surprised by her PG-13 language at times.

Did you guys do two written tests, too? Curious if that's every group or if I was just lucky like that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

christmas boots posted:

One reason I was sad to see him go is that I didn't want to see the sad tiny wagers return to the show. :( And, of course, I'll instinctively root for anyone who's close to breaking a record of some kind.

Emma seems cool though. She killed the king and that's rad.

I've been watching old seasons on Hulu to practice (until fairly recently I wasn't watching that often ever since I cut cable and never see live tv anymore....they really need to put the full episodes up on some service for people like me). It's been really weird going back to the conservative, nervous betting on DDs.

That said, I get it. Each time I try to figure out what I would do and it's usually way higher. The woman I just saw end her 6 game streak in one game was at like 16,000 and the next highest was 5000ish and she only wagered 1000. I get it....but I'd probably wager more like 6000 so I still have double second place so I can go into final unable to lose, but I stand to win so much more if I get it right.

There's a balance between ensuring you win and also trying to make sure that win matters. It was so sad that the champ I just mentioned went out by everyone getting final wrong (I love when I get it and none of the contestants do) and the woman who was in third won by wagering $0, the second place guy lost all but $100, and the champ finished about 2 grand under the new champ. I think her bid was correct given the totals going into final, BUT had she bid more aggressively on her last DD, she would have not had to wager so much in final to stay ahead of 2nd place and consequently finished behind third's unchanged total (whose wager was so smart given the other two's totals....if anyone else got it right she got nowhere, so she played to her odds that both of them need to get it wrong).

These wagers are way more complicated than people seem to think they are, and as a guy who made his living with online poker until that poo poo got shut down, I can definitely see where James' background gave him a boost in that regard.

Also, Emma rules.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
An antenna also still requires me to watch live at a very specific time. It's 2019, Jeopardy, that's not how poo poo works anymore.

EDIT: I could watch on Sling, which I have, but again, having to tune in at exactly 7pm every day and all that (I have it mostly for the on-demand stuff for current shows that don't get put on Hulu, and for football season).

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 6, 2019

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

Yes, for the same reasons you mentioned. I thought the 2nd test was slightly easier, as did most of the other auditioners.

Yup, if you took the same ones we did I thought the same.

drat you Emma Stone :argh:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Zack posted:

I got that one :shrug:

It just bugs me because it was so easy and my brain just imploded. I hate when you can see someone's face, hear their voice, name a dozen things they've been in and they character they played....and not remember their name somehow.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Iron Crowned posted:

What the gently caress?

A roommate from college was from Milwaukee and it confused the gently caress out of us the first time we heard him pronounce the word "bag", which is basically the exact opposite of this.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

MorgaineDax posted:

Are there any ToC records James can smash?

Biggest winner to go out like a bitch in the first round.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Could also be a scheduling thing that one or all of them did get an invite but had to pass because of a prior commitment. Doesn't seem really likely, but it is possible.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I felt bad for Rahul last night, he was spamming the buzzer like crazy on every question but rarely got a chance.

Same, but he was kind of doing a wind up with his arm before buzzing instead of just twitching his thumb. Probably what gave his much less animated opponents a split second advantage. They warned us at the audition about exactly that happening when giving instructions on the buzzers before the practice games.

In other news, part of my motivation for switching to hulu live tv over sling is that I can record Jeopardy with their cloud dvr. So nice to get my daily fix again.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Poque posted:

I want somebody who's capable at pronunciations and hosting to start, but isn't super known for being smart, so in 20 years after hosting 300 episodes a year they get noticeably smarter.

Like give me Paul Rudd crazy smart at age 70

Having just watched Rudd on Hot Ones a few hours ago, I fully support this. I have yet to encounter a single person who has ever disliked him, and I realize Alex is probably the only other celebrity I can say that about. He'd also probably look exactly the same at 70 if the last 25 years are any indication.

Goober Peas posted:

I support team Levar. I think he would be an awesome host.

This is also a great choice, with a bonus for severely pissing off my racist family.

EDIT: I (not entirely seriously) submit Dwayne Johnson as another contender. Dude has won me over in the last few years and he is surprisingly articulate and intelligent, especially given what you would assume just looking at him (same goes for Vin Diesel).

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 19, 2019

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

1glitch0 posted:

edit: Actually, I know a lot of people around here don't like him, but I'd be fine with Chris Hardwick.

I don't mind him as a host, I just hate the whole "let's have a tv show talking about the show you just watched" concept that seems to be his niche.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
And how do her eyebrows do that?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Am I crazy or has the DD in the first round been on an $800 clue every episode for like a week.

The last two finals seem insanely easy to compensate for a week of stumpers, too.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

"And we come to Francois...an 11th grade....physics teacher...."

As a physicist, that's about what I've been imagining Alex doing if I got a physics category, and I was already laughing when the clue came up for Francois.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He doesn't have the personality of someone like a Ken Jennings who had that same depth of knowledge and understanding of the game but took obvious joy in playing it and had fun.

James is that guy who sits down at a home poker game in a hoodie and sunglasses and treats every game like he's in the world series of poker, he doesn't know how to be anything but hyper-serious. It's good for dominating games, it's not good for entertainment.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Duckman2008 posted:

The only reason most people don’t like James is that he is a douchebag.

Yeah this. Like I said before, good on him for having the luxury of spending a year preparing for this I guess? It just doesn't make for an entertaining game or a contestant you want to root for. I will continue to hold up Ken as the example of how you can be that good at the game and not come off as absolutely unrelatable and robotic.

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, it’s amazing how much of the viewing audience sees him as this “humble” guy,

This, too. Especially given his background, it's hard to root for a guy who just wants another feather in his cap, as opposed to, say, a teacher where a single win could change their financial situation completely. I can respect the game he plays and still think he's a complete rear end in a top hat who I'm glad is gone again next week so we can get back to players who make me laugh, who visibly love playing the game. Bonus when you can see the shell shocked winners hearing Johnny read off their winnings.

He's not breaking any rules and good for him for winning a lot of money. I just don't get how anyone enjoys watching him or thinks he's an even remotely likable person. The closest he came was when his daughter made that get well card for Alex....but that's a little kid being adorable, not him.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I also have no idea how only one of them got that final. Did anything else even happen in 1901?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My bad. Maybe it's an imposter syndrome thing, it seemed so obvious to me that I guess I assumed everyone else must know that, too (history's also a good category for me). Like I guess I assume if I get the call to fly out the other contestants will know just as much if not more. This makes no sense given how often I blank on sports categories and stuff, but it's how my insecurity works.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The light part was more of a reference to it being one of the first huge showcases of electric lighting, I think, with it being illuminated and filmed by Edison. That and that assassination are literally the only memorable things about that World's Fair.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
They have the clues and categories written, but it's really easy to swap out a column.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

Maggie was just like “ayyyyyyy”

Glad my impression of her at auditions seems to have been accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah I thought the same thing at first, but that's come up before with football since the season starts in August and the super bowl isn't until the following February, so my brain just went, "1970 was Midnight Cowboy which makes no sense, but 1971 was Patton so it must be that date weirdness again."

The year was far less important than the quote for that clue, though.