Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Khakis is referring to E7 and up. He's definitely talking about the senior enlisted leadership in this case. Chiefs (E7-E9) are very protective of tradition and their own little club. In order to be considered a chief, you must go through "induction." It used to be called initiation, but they had to change the name so that it wouldn't be considered hazing, even though it really is. So once you go through, you're a part of the club. One of the things chiefs like to do is wear things that tell proudly how they became a chief and that they had to be inducted into the brotherhood.

Enlisted people in the navy get frocked before they actually get paid for a rank. The actual promotion takes anywhere up to 6-8 months for E6 and below and a year or so for E7 and up. During that time, they can be basically dropped two ranks at NJP. You could have someone wearing a chief's uniform and get busted down to E5. Once a chief is paid for his rank, an O-6 command can no longer take away his anchors.

So this guy gets busted. Instead of being dropped to E5, the CO just took away his anchors. His retaliation to the chiefs basically abandoning him is to wear his chief paraphernalia that he technically earned but isn't supposed to wear anymore. Balls indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Armyman25 posted:

Never understood why they'd hem someone up for an ND into a clearing barrel. Isn't that what they're for?

They're there to make sure an ND doesn't kill or wound someone. You're still a loving idiot and not following procedure at all if you ND into one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Raaaahhh stopping power raaaaaaaaahh

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Val Helmethead posted:

Happy New Year, Goons! Let's get this one started off right, with a dumb fire fighter story!

So, one of our local departments is responding "lights and sirens" to a suspected house fire. Well, the operator of the engine tells the firefighter in the officer's seat that "Well, the sirens in this rig are down, so you'll need to make siren noises over the PA system." "Okay" she says, and off they go down the street, lights on, and the officer making siren noises over the PA system. And she's getting really into it, changing up to the horn at the intersections like you're supposed to and everything.

Well, maybe about a minute into their run, someone hears dispatch calling out over the radio for the Engine to "check for an open mic". You see, instead of grabbing the microphone for the PA system, she'd gone and grabbed the microphone for the radio. And was on the dispatch channel. For the entire region. Making siren noises.

She's still there. I think she's a Deputy Chief now or something.

We need more firefighting stories.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

elsanto posted:

I didn't know E-5 with a gold crow was even possible.

You used to be able to retire at e-5. Now they hit HYT well before then, but depending on circumstances it's quite possible to be a double gold warrior.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

12 years continuous good conduct in the navy means that you get to wear gold instead of silver/red chevrons on your collar/sleeve. I've never seen them at E4 (probably was back before the current HYT setup) but you see plenty of E6s and a handful of E5s with them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

genderstomper58 posted:

do you have me on ignore or something

homo

Nah, I'm just the guy sperging some more about the specifics. It's the 12 years consecutive good conduct that really matters. No masts or court martials.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nerdfest X posted:

While it probably originated from the ward room, the Chief's mess adopted a "let's use Sea Warrior instead of Shipmate" policy. That's when I started dropping "shipmate" everywhere like I had Tourettes and using it as a bookend to every sentence that came out of my mouth.

That came down from the goat locker and senior enlisted types that also brought NWUs. Trust me, I hate that poo poo more than anything. I'm a loving Sailor. Not a drat warrior. I actually got into a bit with a one star's CMC for that.

And the "by your leave" when passing a senior officer absolutely does exist, at least in the navy. I'll see if I can dig up exactly where it's codified. I think it might be in the 1710.7a, but I have to check.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's because there isn't a huge stigma against sex or sex workers in most of the rest of the world. If the US didn't have the stigma it did, more people than meth/crackheads would probably be street walkers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Probably a case of "OH poo poo WE JUST KILLED SOMEONE ON THE RANGE CEASE FIRE" only to find out that it was Taliban.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Casimir Radon posted:

Idiot who used to be in our unit, and was later accused of molesting a couple of teenage girls is really dragging things out. His lawyer is making tons of noise about calling in expert witnesses. His strategy seems to be to admit the the guy is a creep (He apparently desired to marry a 14 year old girl), but not a kiddie diddler....right :/

To please the court we call on our next witness to explain the differences between pedophilia and ephebophilia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I left this for hours unsniped so someone else could get a shot. :smith:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dougdrums posted:

man i've gone so long without an av . . . but this is probably the best i could hope for

I approve.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Best Friends posted:

Pictured: shitbag unaware that his nation was at war.

Pre-Zumwalt doesn't count.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Once again, Zumwalt was the best: http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq93-57.htm

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Legit manoverboards can happen for a number of reasons. Some are suicide. The rest are typically in the midst of an evolution of somesort where safety apparatus is lowered for the purpose of the evolution: IE replenishment at sea (RAS) or flight ops. In all of these situations, people are required to wear a certain amount of safety gear if they go anywhere near the rail.

The "oops I sliped and benny hilled over the side" are very rare, but still can happen. In that case, there's a person standing watch at the aft end of the ship 24/7 while steaming underway. This person is the Aft Lookout or Life Bouy Watch. If you fall over during a non-major evolution, he's your absolute last hope of being seen. It's not easy to spot someone that has chemlights, strobes, etc on them in great conditions. The worse the seas are, the less chance you have of being seen. Also, if you don't get seen, no one is going to miss you until you miss a watch or a muster. It could be hours before they realize you're missing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you fall over, swimming is the least of your concern. The ocean is very easy to float in. The problem is, the survivability time in open ocean is sometimes measured in minutes. If it's cold, we have a sliding scale that tells us how long before hypothermia sets in. It doesn't take much. Once you start getting below 75° or so, hypothermia can start in just a few minutes. The colder it gets, the faster it onsets. When the water is above 80 degrees, you're solid for hypothermia. No worries there, but then you have to worry about sharks. There are a shitton of sharks out there, and they will loving kill and eat you. There's a maximum point of survival time estimates at the peak of cold water and bottom of warm water. That temp water isn't very common. You're pretty much hosed if you fall over unless someone very alert spots you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah. Ever since DADT was repealed, I've really been looking forward to DOMA getting killed just to see who's the first dumbass that tries this stunt.

It already loving happens daily. Go look at craigslist in any military concentration area and you'll see posts from both servicemembers and civilians looking for sham marriages.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I ran one with pneumonia. I almost blacked out after the run, but I still passed. Went to the ER after and got some nice cough syrup and an instruction to not leave my house for the next three days and rest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is the best thread on the forum right now because it linked me to Humper-Monkey stories and 50FA. Thanks!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wasabi the J posted:

And yet "Jarjead" and "The Hurt Locker" gets mistaken for reality. :mad:

The Jody video was pretty realistic, imo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wasabi the J posted:

Honestly what is a horribly inaccurate war movie that people take seriously? I know I'm missing something, but Hurt Locker is the most recent, most mentioned bullshit move that people ask about for reality checks.

Crimson Tide. That move is so far from loving reality that all one can do is laugh at it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

how realistic is down periscope? like fairly realistic, or basically a documentary?

The mission itself isn't close to real life. The people, though? Almost perfect.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This.

Almost makes me consider buying my dad an account for his awesome Air Force 1968-1994 stories, but I'm afraid he'd stumble into GBS or E/N and... things would happen.

I'm pretty sure your dad knows that you're gay.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

50 Foot Ant posted:

I got caught break-dancing on top of stacks of MRLS rounds by a General (Still having my nervous break-down), who yelled at me to "GET THE gently caress DOWN, YOU MANIAC!" and challenged him to come up and make me. He took off his top, climbed up on the stack, and fought me in glorious hand to hand combat for the right to be "GOD-KING OF THE SITE!" while all of the privates I'd been given stared in shock and the long time members of the crew laughed and cheered. (He beat me and threw me bodily off the top of the 3-high stack and proclaimed himself the "Undisputed Overlord of All Officers Everywhere EVER" at the top of his lungs) I think he may have been crazy too.

That's the type of general I want leading us into war.

And yeah, that sounds about right for a PCP rampage. PCP is no loving joke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

50FA owns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

gleep gloop posted:

Well most aren't the Hurt Locker kind of retarded. Now Afghans doing EOD work...

Iraq EOD is best. Here's an IED detecting stick. Good luck!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There is a gyro stand outside the fleet store on Pearl Harbor that loving owns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:stare: holy poo poo

Source for that?

It's satire.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dammit I figured duffleblog as soon as I posted that.

It's not duffleblog but a different site. It's linked in the army thread, too, iirc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's the source. Obviously not legit.

http://hitthewoodline.com/satura/2013/10/17/newest-medal-of-honor-recipient-told-to-cut-his-hair

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's PI getting the money from the Navy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't know. I think the swastikat is hilarious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I live in Tallahassee and like it just fine, but it certainly is southern Georgia much more than it is Florida.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zombie303 posted:

I know this one idiot who thinks that Krispy Kremes suck. I am eating one right now and it does not suck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bolow posted:

lol if you didn't wear coveralls and safety boots for literally everything short of a uniform inspection or safety stand down

I still wear coveralls when working on poo poo like cars or painting although I'm usually in a pair of flip flops with that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zombie303 posted:

Uniform inspection was every morning?

I remember having to put on an inspection ready set of utilities and boots for breakfast/quarters every morning. I would then immediately go change into a pair of paint coveralls and boots with paint/poo poo on them for morning work. A little before lunch I would have to go change back into my inspection utilities or I couldn't eat on the mess decks. After lunch, change back out. If we had to work past dinner, I would have to change again to eat and then back to work again. If I had to leave the ship, I'd have to put utilities back on because coveralls weren't allowed on the pier. I spent at least an hour each day when I was junior enlisted just changing loving clothes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zombie303 posted:

That sounds exhausting.

A large chunk of my seven years in the military was some form of dressup.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bolow posted:

I showed up to work in civilian clothes. Put some coveralls on and my work boots. Then changed out of said coveralls and back into civies for lunch and leaving work.

Civilian clothes would have just added in another step in the chain. I could eat breakfast in street attire, but I'd still have to change into utilities for quarters and then back into coveralls for work.

Changing clothes so drat many times a day when I was enlisted definitely made me squash any of that poo poo I came across as an officer. I get that they don't want dirty clothes on the mess decks, but changing clothes 5-10 times every day just to function is pretty god damned stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The rule was uniform of the day only on the mess decks. Engineering was allowed to be in coveralls because it was their uniform of the day. Deck personnel, even if we weren't in painted up nasty coveralls, were not, because our uniform of the day was utilities. Since this only really affected a handful of people no one gave a poo poo about our bitching.