Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Red Crown posted:

Apparently, this is one of the leading competitors for the Army's next camo pattern. Am I the only one who thinks this looks a bit...off? Like something I'd buy at a paintball shop?
I think it looks like poo poo. What was wrong with mulitcam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Carteret posted:

I was in a Smoke/Decon Chemical Unit when I was at Bragg. They had those bastards strapped to the backs of HMMWVs. Coolest. poo poo. Ever. The amazing sound and sweet smoke plume we got every motor stables was worth the retarded star MOS bullshit that gave me the privilege of working with 19yo E5s. Almost.

loving Chemical Corps. :doh:

This is what Al Gore sees in his night terrors.

in other news, I saw this walking into the BX today:

Looks like our old friend Sgt Chowdown is still employed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Syrian rebels shot down one of the regime's Su-22s yesterday with a MANPADS, and most of the action was caught on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXxAk6i1qLU

Judging by how many times the dude fires that launcher, I think it's safe to say that the rebels have achieved 80s music video-level weaponized editing technology.
...and of course they're getting all up in the wreckage before it's even cold.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Goddam bunnyhoppers are ruining counterstrike.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Every French military person I've run across was more interested in US technology and capabilities than anything related to the war or exercise at hand. No, rear end in a top hat, I'm not going to explain our radar's anti-jam capabilities. That's my personal experience...I later heard a good one about the French antennae and dishes aimed at the US side of the base during Desert Storm at PSAB or something.
Once again second hand, but someone I believe told me that every time the French are invited into the CAOC, they are far more proud of the problems the radars they have sold abroad cause allied forces than they are of their contribution to the war effort.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Double post but I really want to know the story behind this

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Holy hell me too. Sure they were bi-planes, but shooting down two with an AK-47 is pretty badass.

Booblord's link pretty much covers it. Some Air America contractors in a helo chased down and splashed two NVA troop transports sent to assault Lima Site 85. The next attempt was more succesful

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

It's better than what we ended up with, which is still better looking than the ACU.
In what way exactly is a smurf's jizz rag "better?" I remember when they gave out a few sets for testing purposes. The only place that pattern blends in is an acid flashback.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Look at those tiny little bitch engines :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't understand why they didn't just eject.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Looks like the Chinese have a new LO UAV (although LO may be a stretch with those turkey feathers sticking out the back)

(via Avationist, TFR)

I'm betting they had more than a little access to that RQ-170 that crashed in Iran.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 15, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hazza posted:

I think those are just extended elevons.

I was talking about

which looks an awful lot like a typical non-LO engine nozzle (aka the "turkey feathers" due to it's appearance):

The un-shaped, unpainted metal surfaces aren't exactly stealthy, which is an odd choice on an aircraft where they went to all the effort to dogtooth the landing gear doors. The only way it really makes sense if it's a one-off aerodynamic demonstrator to experiment with flying wing designs, or it's a stand-in for a different engine currently in development. In the first case, why would they spend a lot of time with low-RCS features when the big can in the back is going to spoil your readings on all non-front-aspect tests? In the second, wouldn't changing the engine and nozzle alter performance enough that testing would have to start from scratch?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 16, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

An Old Boot posted:

Anyone else have artwork from guys who were, or still are, deployed in the modern wars? I feel like I don't see nearly as much of that kind of thing as I used to.
I think the widespread use of the internet has allowed that sort of thing to move from "forgotten in a footlocker for 60 years" to "Hi, I'm Max Uriarte and this is Terminal Lance." I'd also imagine a lot of material from current soldiers is kept close to avoid the wrath of the 1Sgt.

quote:

EDIT 2: Alternatively, if I hunted some down myself, would that be admissible to post in this thread? (more importantly: would people want to see it?)
I'd like to see what you find.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

co199 posted:

Here is a pretty sweet video with some century series fighters, including refueling from a KB-50!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpsQt9NwXE

We really should bring back napalm. Maybe for just one day a year, like throwback uniform night at the ballpark.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know as a lowly civilian I'm not really in a position to talk, but why are people fixing bayonets here? Is this actually a thing done by people these days? I seem to recall all the people from combat units talking about how bayonets are never actually used; is this an indication that the people in the photo are NG/Reserves or something?

Because Marines. The following story is totally anecdotal, but I 90% believe it based on the source.
This guy was in an observation post overlooking part of Fallujah the day one of the major Phantom Fury offensives was going to kick off. He scopes out the insurgent side, and most of the fighters he can see have stopped to prostrate themselves for the sunset prayer. He looks over at the Marine lines, where riflemen are sharpening & affixing bayonets, and using their camo paint kits to draw skulls on their faces. The evening air carries him the distinctive strains of Drowning Pool. H-hour comes and goes, and minutes after the first casualty reports begin to filter in. The first half-dozen or so? Guys who tripped and fell, either landing on their own bayonets or stabbing the guy in front of them in the stack.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

doogle posted:

We had one ANASF team that only had a single Pashto speaker on it with the majority of them being Tajiks and Hazarans. They were easily the best team, but I had a feeling it was because we were in a Pashtun area and the locals loving hated Hazarans.

That little dude was awesome.

I'm sitting here wondering what on Sparkles' rifle was OPSEC-sensitive.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fallom posted:

why is it bronies the usaf has to deal with and not something normal like ICP fans
You say that, but I noticed during squadron PT that one of our enlisted has a hatchetman tattoo on his calf.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

My 8 year old brain is saying when the wings move, it's always cooler. a giant maintenance pig and a huge pain in everyone's dick.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Baloogan posted:

I've always wanted to kill whoever sold tomcat to iran.
Are you an Iranian jet mechanic?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Best Friends posted:

the capable Pakistani program.

Which is also pretty :psyduck: (also lol "capable")

Pakistan is a third world country in every way that matters, why the gently caress do they have nukes?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Koesj posted:

I like how these in-shore vessels are one RPO away from burning right down to the waterline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybpr3g0v7_8

I like how Russian arms adverts make no bones about "Yeah, this was made to 100% murder non-hardened, occupied civilian structures."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Dudes in the armored car were loving stupid and they deserved to die.

Way to blame the victim.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mustang posted:

Billy Waugh who was in SF during Vietnam and did at least a couple tours in SOG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Waugh#Awards_and_decorations posted:

Purple Heart with seven oak leaf clusters

:stare:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Well, that was precise. :stare:

We really should invite that guy to Green Flag next year.

Smoke Crack posted:

Which begs the question, does "oh my god" sound as creepy as "allahu ackbar" to non english speakers?

Probably doesn't have quite the same impact. Imagine if Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson were decapitating Unitarians and posting videos of it on the internet.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 26, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Something like that.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
We absolutely should start doing all our rifles in goofy-rear end tigerstripe.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Do you mean to tell me the U.S. Military issued you inadequate, beat-to-poo poo gear totally inappropriate for your mission? :aaa:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

grover posted:

Yet one more great reason lifting DADT was long overdue :colbert:
Y'know, if I was going to take swipes at someone's wife, that would not be the guy I'd pick.

Oxford Comma posted:

Someone email that guy. I'm nowhere near worthy enough.
And tell him what? "We love the dissonance between your appearance and your extensive service record, also holocaust jokes."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are you guys joking around? He's been registered since like '06, but he only posts in GWS and the AI trains thread

Everyone knows all the HSLD trigger pullers post in FYAD.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Can Hornets even hold enough gas to tank more than, say, one other plane?

I did a big effortpost about this in the Cold War thread, but the answer is: no, not really. It's useful in a few edge cases, but mostly it's a ridiculous idea in any sort of high-tempo operations.

wdarkk posted:

Ospreyboros.
Propeller/fuel hose interaction event.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 8, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

grover posted:

Uncanny resemblance to US's SLUFAE. Wonder if the design is more than superficially similar? Probably not; the details look considerably different.
Probably a case of convergent evolution; a cheap, medium ranged, indirect fire rocket designed to spread a liquid or gas on impact is going to end up fitting somewhere in the "can on the end of a finned stick" box.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Probably a mix of not having the luxury of being able to replace perfectly functional weapons in the name of upgrades/standardization and every agency & department in Nairobi with two bullets to rub together responding to the call.

If there was a similar "all hands on deck" in the USA in the era before Homeland Security grants, you would probably see a mix of M-16, AC-556, MP-5, various shotguns, and god knows what hand-me-downs the National Guard and local sherrifs had in the armory.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 23, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

For the AF at least, it's a subset of PA. The AF guy for Transformers 2 was an O-5.

Really want to see his OPR from that year now. If he pulled a DP after that atrocity we've an open-and-shut case for eliminating a whole AFSC.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Where do you keep finding this? Your compilation posts in this thread always have the most interesting stuff.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Baloogan posted:

The F-16 is literally erotic.
That graceless flat panel along the side of the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the elevators has always bothered me, especially in contrast with the leading edge/chines. Although I'm sure it doesn't impact performance, you can see the hand of CAD in the shape.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 4, 2013

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Oxford Comma posted:

When talk of planes goes in this direction, I feel like some goon is going to drunk-confess to jerking off to those anime plane-girls. ^______^

Pitch mostly posts in TFR.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
MBAs.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

That is the old recruiting video.
Have a link to the new one?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I saw Flashbang Gangbang 2: Iraqi Boogaloo before it escaped into the wild, but it still makes me smile every time he drives the truck through the gate and then throws the flashbang out the window.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Those appear to be bootprints on the roundel.
Too uniform. You're seeing areas of the wing structure where the skin has worn away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I like how he covered their faces so you know they're Tier 1 High Speed types, but they still have their names on the asses of their pants like good sailors.

• Locked thread