Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Nice work! :yotj: Keep that train rollin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Going through the official Cisco text for CCNA data centre 640-911 and it talks about TWO TCP/IP layer models in addition to the OSI model.

The only difference between the two is that Layer 1 and 2 are called the "Link" layer on the older one (4 layers), and the newer one (5 layers) goes back to calling them Physical and Data Link. Why not just skip to the end and only talk about the 5-layer model. Cisco :psyboom:

E: Lammelle's text only refers to the 4-layer TCP/IP model.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Bottom to top mnemonics: People Didn't Need Those Stupid Packets Anyway, Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

Am I going to need my lab for the ICDN1? It seems to be more general knowledge focused. I've got a bit before I can get my switch in for my lab, and I"m reading Odom's book for the ICDN1.

A lab isn't necessary for ICND1, but if you already have one it's better than a simulator :)

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Not yet. I'm still combing through the Odom textbook I acquired a few weeks ago. I need to spend a lot more time with the practice test environment that came with it. Some of the practice question diagrams are just so unpleasant to look at.

I think I got as much as I could out of the Lammelle book I picked up first, but wasn't feeling comfortable enough to jump into the exam. Once I've mastered the Odom book I think I'll be fine. Actually, I like the Odom book a bit more because topics are split up into smaller pieces. Decent review and practice plans included as well. Definitely makes it easier to target specific weaknesses when reviewing.

ACLs are my sore spot as well. I really hope that we won't run into any simulation-based ACL questions because of the gotchas like "you didn't put [permit ip any any] as the last statement"

Tentatively scheduled for end of October but looks like family engagements are going to force me to push it into November.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

I might actually take the test before you then I think I'm going to go for the last week of October.

Good stuff :)

I'm tying to be extra careful about passing on the first try. I paid for my exam before the Canadian dollar tanked. The thought of throwing down another $250 USD to rewrite makes me want to weep.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Is there a story behind the animals on O'Reilly book covers?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
My workmate just passed her CCIE routing and switching lab. She had to drive from Toronto to North Carolina to do it. 8 hours?! :aaaaa:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'll get her to tell me all about it and relay her story to you guys.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I have a 10 year goal to get CCIE certified. I'm not even CCNA yet. :sigh:

One step at a time, bro.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Trip report from my friend who just did the CCIE routing & switching lab.
- 10 exam users per day. There were a few other people doing security and data centre exams at the same time.
- The routing and switching exam is entirely virtual, but you do it on a single-display desktop with windows xp :butt:
- Troubleshooting component was 2 hours to complete 10 simulated trouble tickets. The typical stuff like 2 servers can't talk to each other.
- Diagnostic component was 30 minutes to work through 3 tickets. They found this part was the toughest.
- Config lab is the biggest part at 5.5 hours. You get a huge diagram simulating a multi-national business with different sites, service providers, and requirements. About 50 devices including routers, switches, servers, workstations. More than half of the devices are routers, as the exam title would suggest :v:
- You don't have to subnet. All the IPs are provided for you.
- At some point during the config a proctor will tweak something like an interface (just 1 thing) and you'll have to fix it.

Any questions (without disclosing actual test questions) I can pass along!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
It's OK to reschedule as much as you need to. Make sure you're feeling fully practiced and confident before diving in!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Zapf Dingbat posted:

this company they kind of cowboy it. Not a lot of organization, standards, everything's an emergency, etc.

Be careful. This is going to get old really fast.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
For WGU students: Anyone know if they're open to Canadians?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I also had success with Wendell Odom's CCENT book. He's a bit over-detailed sometimes, but the practice material that comes with the book is solid.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Who was it that was trying CCNA Data Center? Did they succeed? Im getting back into deep study on 640-911 as I got side tracked for the last 2 months with a project.

That'd be me. I've ramped up a bit since December had me side-lined. Probably a week away from finishing Odom's textbook, then into the Test > Fail > Practice cycle. Looking at early March now.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Ive been reading some scuttlebutt on some other forums, seems that there is poo poo on the test about the actual Nexus stuff about licensing/hardware (slots, Rack Unit size) that is NOT in 640-911 but is actually chapter 2 of the 640-916 Cisco book in that pack.

If you dont have the 640-916 book, you can get the update on the Cisco Press book for appendix B-2

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9781587204548/updates/38_9781587204548_appb2.pdf

Better safe than sorry. Thanks for sharing the appendix! I always forget to check for errata and stuff.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
When I was getting ready for the ICND1 (before the new exam came out) I was using a site called Headmagnet to make flash cards and quiz decks. I don't think it's been updated in over a year, though.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

InevitableCheese posted:

Do you guys find it easier to study at home? Or do you have to do certain things or go somewhere else to be able to focus?

I find it impossible to do any meaningful studying at home. I camp out at the local library, or stay in my office at work an extra few hours on weekdays.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

640-911 tomorrow at 2pm. Im pretty up and up on the actual CCNA R&S type stuff when it comes to how it is configured in NX-OS, I am just worried about the hardware questions from chapter 2, so much crap about power requirements, RUs used, number of fans, BS that should all stay on an accessible spec sheet, not memory!

Good luck!! Let me know how it goes.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Failed 640-911. 723 needed 818 to pass. A few things I know I didn't study for as feared and one thing that really pisses me off is where 2 commands do the same goddamn thing but you can only pick one answer. I HATE those types. Other things mentioned are not in the Official Cisco Guide. Wrote down a bunch of poo poo when I got back to my car for concerns I gotta study up on.

Sorry to hear that :( if you don't mind me asking, what didn't you study for and what do you feel wasn't mentioned? I'm finding a lot of stuff in the Odom text that wasn't mentioned in Lammele's, but I'm really crossing my fingers that somehow using both books will cover me. And the extra appendix...

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Why is this becoming such a loving trend?

How do people break into these fields without the hands on experience or knowledge implanted otherwise if the material is not in the books?

It was like this with my CCNA DC 640-911. Ive studied a bit more OUTSIDE of the guides since failing the test, (not dumps) to find the answers because now that I know what a few of those questions were I knew what vague general direction to look for. But as in my case there were a few specific questions that were patently nowhere mentioned in the Official Certification Guide from Cisco by Odom in its 667 pages.

One thing I will always do from now on is take a pen/notepad into the testing center and put those in the locker and start dumping my concerns of questions after the test (if I fail). I did this last time, but had to wait till I got to the car and I am sure in that 5 minute walk I lost a few things.

Your experience has me worried for when I make my attempt at that exam. Total poo poo lottery on what questions you're going to get doesn't make me feel any better.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just wrote my GIAC GSEC exam, 95%. Highly recommend this course (SEC 401 at SANS) if your company pays for it (it's not financially reasonable to do it on your own, like 8k plus travel expenses) but a really rewarding experience if security interests you. Take a class with Eric Cole if you can.

Way to go bro! :yotj:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

crunk dork posted:

Going to retake 210-260 in about an hour, hoping another week of study on weak areas will be enough to pass. I don't even care about doing great on it I just want to be done with this miscarriage of an exam

We believe in you!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Cisco cert questions: If a cert like a CCENT expires, but you write a new exam shortly after, does it retroactively re-up your expired exam? Eg. Expire in January and pass an exam in February.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Use http://www.ratatype.com/ and http://zty.pe/ for all your speed typing practice.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

crunk dork posted:

Passed my 210-260 and Cisco can suck my rear end and dick!

Congrats! :yotj: I hope Cisco has a good explanation for you.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

I have scheduled my retake of 640-911 Cisco Intro to Data Center Networking tomorrow.

I have reached "that point" again on study where when you see what you are looking over, you know exactly what it means, but this time, obsessing over the new content that was on my test that was nowhere to be found in the study materials that I got from both Odom and Lammle.

However, my luck will be to get a few new random questions that are also new that are also STILL not covered and probably fail....again. If I fail again I am shelving the DC track until second edition materials come out and Ill just move on to CCNP R&S.

Good luck on your second run, bud. Let us know how it goes.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Passed 640-911 second try. I am absolutely convinced that what got me on the first test was the hardware specific material such as model numbers license info, what to do want to kickstart image or how to boot into the bios on a certain piece of equipment. The stuff is simply not mentioned in the official guides.

Grats dude! :yotj: Now I just have to get off my rear end and finish it.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Congrats! Glad to hear folks are getting ahead of the broken sim :yotj:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

sudo rm -rf posted:

Passed CCNP - route 923/1000 :toot:

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting. After I got surprised on Switch by some of the questions, I made sure to go through the exam topics and read through all the small random subjects because I felt like the one you're not 100% on is inevitably the subject you'll get asked about the most, haha.

:hfive:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Paging MrBigglesworth. The appendix for 640-911 talks about a lot of Cisco-centric features that exist on Nexus gear without explaining what it is in any great detail.

Did you find product-based question on your exam run were basic "this feature is supported by model xyz" or did they get into any gritty about stuff like FCoE, CPU share, whatever.

I was so close to being through this part of the studying phase so this extra appendix for poo poo that should appear on the next exam is giving me a chapped rear end.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Much appreciated :hfive:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Does anyone have any advice or techniques for studying charts like these? I'm having a hard time keeping this in my head.

It carries on into the next page :psyduck:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Matteyo posted:

11L - IDK WTF this is.

Thanks! I was able to decipher most of them after working my way though. Turns out 11L means
1 minimum fabric modules to operate the I/O card 1 number of fabric modules to achieve max capacity L means XL module.

Edit: I wish the differences between M and F module cards was included, similar to your explanation, because it makes so much more sense.

But yeah, if they ask for the pps capacity I'll be boned on that one :v:

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Just passed my JNCIA-Junos exam. They should really do these tests in pubquiz format, in an actual pub. My scores would skyrocket.

Grats :hfive:

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 1, 2016

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Question for anyone with a CCIE or similarly-levelled cert... How quickly could I self-study myself to that level? Things are changing in my workplace and a networking role with a high-level cert is in demand.

I have the first CCNA data centre exam scheduled for 7 weeks from today. I figure I could finish the second exam 3~ months after to finish off the Associate cert.

Any recommended resources to help ease the process? I'm willing to invest $$$ to the cause and will likely get some of it reimbursed by work (as long I pass first). My study method is fruitful, but I'm terrified of failing on the first try so there is a lot of repetition involved. No brain dumps, of course.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks for the CCIE advice, I really appreciate it! It will be a long road.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Jedi425 posted:

Passed with an 828. Death to PPPoE, death to IPv6, BGP is great.

Congrats nerdshoe :yotj:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Man CCNA Data Center part 2 640-916 is dry dry dry dry dryyyyyyyyy. At least CCNA R&S was interesting..... This chapter on Data Center Storage Architecture is just so......guhhh

Man, don't crush my spirits before I even open the book.

My 640-911 is in 4 weeks and I might just change gears to finish CCNA R&S in one exam before opening that book. The appendix they pulled from it to tack onto the first exam was just soul-crushigly awful.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

psydude posted:

Passed the CISSP exam.

Congrats! :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
poo poo, I was planning to knock out the ICND2 next, but I won't be ready by September. I hope updated textbooks will be out soon.