Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've poked around this thread and a few review sites, and I was planning on picking up the U50 in a few months. The new place I'm moving, though, is going to have a really bright living room.

Is the picture quality on the U50 worth it to deal with a washed-out picture during the day, or is there a comparably priced 50" LCD TV that I could pick up without losing much PQ? I'm on a pretty strict budget of $500-$600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Thanks man, I'll take a look at these.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Should I expect to see significant price drops over the next few months on last year's models?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dead Pressed posted:

Any thoughts on HD antennas? Just cancelled cable and want to get some local news! I've been looking at the Mohu Leaf, looks to be pretty well reviewed. http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf-Paper-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359856252&sr=8-1&keywords=leaf+antenna

I'd start cheap. I've had great reception with a pair of $10 bunny ears and a lower-end flat antenna.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Demented Guy posted:

Thanks guys. I'm deciding between the U50 (which they say sucks because of glare) and the ST50 which is more expensive. How bad is the glare on the U50? The TV will be placed in front of a window with blinds that can darken the room (but we like to open it sometimes)

And I might have confused my model numbers. It's a Panasonic GT. Maybe not GT50 since we bought it 4-5 years ago

I have the U50 in a very bright living room, and it's noticeable but doesn't bother me. If you're anal about your picture quality I probably wouldn't recommend it, but everything comes through sharp if a little washed out in color.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MachinTrucChose posted:

I just bought a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma tcp50u50.

Apparently I need to break it in over the next 100 hours before I start using it, to avoid image burn-in. Can anyone point me at an appropriate video I can download and play in a loop? Has to be a downloadable file, I'll be connecting an Android player with VLC and MX Player for video input, and have nothing else.

I own this TV and did not break it in. It seems fine.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uranium 235 posted:

What the gently caress? Is that 130 Euros annually? What's the justification for such a tax?

European countries have a lot more public broadcasting, for one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

bull3964 posted:

You can't see it unless you are looking for it with slides, but it's there.

This seems so far outside the realm of normal usage that it's hard to care about.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Was going to buy a 75” TCL 6 series, but it looks like that’s the only size where the 2019 model isn’t available yet. The new Quantum dot tech worth waiting for, or waiting to see if the 2018 edition gets major price cuts? Any chance they just don’t do a 75-incher in the line any more?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'd be very shocked if they didn't do a 75". The trend is moving larger. That said, the current 75" want released until spring 2019 if memory serves so we may not see a new version for another 6 months or more.

I haven't seen any reviews of the quantum versions yet to give any indication as to whether the upgrade is worth it.

Oof. I might just settle for the 65" then, I'm a little worried about the larger model dominating the living room anyway.

Any idea when the new model will start hitting big box stores? It apparently started shipping on the 20th. Amazon has a listing but it's $50 over MSRP and sold through Beach Camera.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Given the high return rate of that TV I'd assume all "refurbs" are basically just what people returned for the jailbar effect

Getting a 75” 6 series delivered tomorrow. What should I watch out for?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BonoMan posted:

A.) If it looks fine to you that's all that matters

B.) Some models have a jailbar pattern that can appear in solid colors and bright scenes (that aren't just solid colors)

All set up and am noticing a touch of this on solid fields of color. You need to be looking for it and 99% of content looks terrific, so I’m inclined to just live with it. This isn’t a problem that gets worse with time, is it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

Why can I buy a TCL 75R617 online from various places, but all of the websites I search say that the R617 TVs are only available at 55 and 65"? Even TCL's own website doesn't list the 75R617 under its product page for the 6-series TVs, only the 55 and 65R617.

You can only buy the 2018 model in 75” right now, while the 2019 is out in the smaller sizes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rastor posted:

For 4K 120Hz you need both devices and the cable between them to all be certified for HDMI 2.1. It's a new spec and still pretty rare

I have a 120hz panel that doesn't have 2.1 — am I going to see any kind of benefit when say the PS5 comes out?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

One other quick question — I just bought a TCL 6 series from Best Buy, which came with the cheaper IR remote. No reason I can't buy the enhanced remote and pair it with the TV, correct?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I just went from a Panasonic plasma to a 6 series and while it probably isn’t 1:1 the black levels are at least in the same ballpark. Don’t regret switching over.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A lot of people would point you towards the TCL, so I wouldn't rule them out

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Almost sold out but 75" P Series Quantum Vizio for $1200 from Amazon. Lightning Deal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RDMLHN...rd_i=B07RDMLHNK

First deal I’ve seen that really made me regret not waiting for Black Friday

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not sure if this is a common issue but Netflix doesn't seem to handle 4K stuff that well on my setup, it's sharp but to my eye it has a look similar to motion-smoothing

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

4K streaming is nice and better certainly than 1080p streaming but it's still easy to notice the compression and absolutely solid media or perhaps locally hosted media on a plex server will blow HBO/Netflix/Amazon out when it comes to 4K quality.

I actually need to get a 4K capable bluray player speaking of.

That's true from what I've seen so far, but Netflix still seems noticeably worse than say Amazon and Disney+.

I was tempted to get a blu-ray player on Black Friday but I'm set on holding out for the PS5

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t understand why people object to this thing that makes me money

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sort of a random, dumb question — is there a hardware reason why higher-end TVs don't offer picture-in-picture anymore? It seems like a natural with how big screens are getting these days.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone with a TCL/Roku TV have all their homescreen icons shrink when the new year hit? Makes for easier navigating but it also doesn't seemed correctly sized for the screen

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

American McGay posted:

I own one of those 500lb Sony widescreen CRTs (34XBR-960) and it's awesome but incredibly niche nowadays. I doubt I could get someone to take it for free (it's seriously massive).

I once moved one of those into a five-story walk up and it was one of the most miserable days of my life

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Edit: wrong thread obviously

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 18, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A talking coyote posted:

This might be a dumb question but here goes, what do you guys do with your old TVs? I used to just give them to friends and family but that was easier about a decade ago when there was still a handful of crts and old school flatscreens around.

I’m finally going to bite the bullet and jump to 4K with some of the bells and whistles but I don’t want to purchase anything if I can’t figure out what to do with my old one besides just curbside donation. Mostly because it’s been raining around here recently.

The other day I put one out in the alley with a "Works Just Fine" sign taped to it and it was gone before I could walk back inside. I live in Chicago though so YMMV

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I’ve had my TCL 6 Series for a few months, but it never occurred to me that I actually had to turn on the HDR on my PS4. Now that I’m trying, I get a message reading “Your TV does not support HDR.”

I’m still using the HDMI cable that came with the console — that the likeliest culprit?

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 23, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Red Warrior posted:

Is it a Pro or a regular PS4? Only Pro ships with a high enough spec cable iirc. Also I'm not familiar with the tcls but check if it all the ports support HDMI 2.0 or you need to enable support on the inputs on the TV.

Just a regular. Doesn’t look like there’s a toggle on the input settings, and as far as I can tell from looking at specs all the ports should be capable.

Worth the $8 on a Monoprice to doublecheck, I guess

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

KS posted:

For what it's worth, Google says Settings -> TV Inputs -> HDMI Mode -> Set to HDMI 2.0 but that's for a 617.

This worked, thanks! It was previously set to “Automatic”, so I’m not sure why it wasn’t already active but whatever

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I've got the Brimnes from IKEA which looks nice, has extra storage and actually puts the TV at eye height. Drawers are a little cheap-feeling but beyond that no complaints

It's wide enough you should still be able to fit the speakers, too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm guessing it's more of a sign that the C9 is continuing to sell well

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There will always be a sale exactly three weeks after you buy something

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Asema posted:

The second tv that was shipped by amazon was also 100% busted on arrival.

Does the B9 do everything the C9 can in terms of the PS5? I'm mad/upset and at this point just want a loving tv

Pretty much

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

UFOTacoMan posted:

sweet, what is your viewing distance? my is about 10 feet and I'm trying to figure out if I really want to commit to 65" instead of 55"

I'm at around the same distance and got used to a 75" very, very quickly

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The New York Times posted:

My 80 year old dad needs a new tv. It just needs to be fairly cheap, big, have some built in apps, and a decent enough picture.

Toms Guide had this Westinghouse on their list, it’s 55” and only $279.

Considering he’s cheap and doesn’t have overly high expectations should he just go for this one or is he likely to be able to get a better deal with a July 4th sale? A little more expensive would be ok.

You might want to try the TCL 5 series. Just a little pricier but it has built-in Roku and better picture.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Revol posted:

My X900H arrived today. My first impression was being really blown away by the picture quality of the little video that plays after you finish setting up the TV. I am also impressed with how snappy the Android TV interface is.

Is there a way that I can quickly switch between turning HDR on and off? I don't quite understand how the benefit looks yet. I've got it turned on in The Last of Us 2, but... not sure what it's getting me. I mean, I know what HDR is, what it does, but without seeing a quick comparison between the two modes, I don't have the best understanding of the real-world benefit.

If you have Rocket League, there's an option in the settings that lets you run HDR On/HDR Off in a splitscreen. Not sure if any other games offer that

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

65” TCL 8 series for $800 off

https://twitter.com/wirecutterdeals/status/1278776048751202305?s=21

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Also these Roku boxes/Amazon Fire Cubes. What's the appeal to them?
I just use my Playstation to launch my Netflix/Amazon apps. Are these things much better?

I did the same for a long time, but as my PlayStation has gotten older the UI has been super sluggish. The Roku is nice and responsive

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

My TCL 6 series arrives in a few hours and I'm just wondering how to get the most out of it. If there's anything I should do setings wise? There will be a PS4 Pro hooked up to it. I'll probably up my Netflix sub to 4K for the month at least just to see if it's worth it. Knowing very little about HDR, is that something like UHD streaming that has to be supported or does it work with pretty much any video? I know it has to be supported in games.

I used the Rtings calibration guide, which worked pretty well. Each input needs to be handled separately.

I had to manually activate HDR on my PS4, but not sure if the Pro handles that automatically.

Amazon's 4K content tends to look best on my TV, for whatever reason, so if you have Prime and are looking for a system demo I might go there first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn off motion smoothing on my TCL 6 series. Everything online says it should be under picture settings but all I have is

TV Brightness
Dolby vision notification on/off

I feel like I’ve been through every setting on the TV and can’t find it anywhere.

Go to an input (Netflix, PS4, etc) and hit the star button