Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So what's the deal with curved screens? I'm eyeing one of the LG OLED 4k 65" beasts, and I can't decided between curved or flat screens. I do have some viewing angles off to the side, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

comper posted:

tldr it doesn't make a real difference and you may like it, but others hate it for whatever reason. Just go look at both and see if it is something that will bother you.

I'll have to go check them out. I did just realize that the B6 model doesn't have 3D, while the C6 does. I'd have to step up to the E6 for a flat screen 3d, which is like $700 more (on Amazon anyway).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You want the 2016 55" LG OLED, only real worthy upgrade to a panasonic plasma.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Question for the thread wizards: Is my 5 year old Denon AVR-1611 going to be a problem if I get a new 4k tv and xbone? It has HDMI 1.4a

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

You aren't going to be able to pass 4k through the receiver. You need HDMI 2.0 as well as HDCP 2.2 support.

So, if you went the Xbone route for a UHD player, you would have to connect it directly to the TV to get UHD output and then connect the audio separately. Since the Xbone doesn't have dual HDMI outputs, you would lose out on high resolution audio.

Only way to retain high res audio and get UHD output from discs is to buy a player with dual HDMI.

Bummer, I hadn't really considered that earlier. Might have to push this back a year so I can afford to replace the receiver at the same time. Guess that's just more time for prices to come down!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Then I'm glad I got a 2016 model and plan on keeping it for quite some time now.

That might be the kick in the pants I need to buy one now.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I can't see any reason not to use wifi for a TV.

If your wifi sucks, take care of that rather than run Ethernet everywhere.

Counterpoint: always run Ethernet everywhere

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fists Up posted:

I've got the possibility of picking up one of my works commercial TVs that are no longer needed for a very very significant discount. They're less than 2 years old and haven't been used much but I have no idea whether there are any trade offs for a commercial TV vs consumer.

It's this model specifically - http://www.samsung.com/uk/business/business-products/smart-signage/professional-display/LH65DMEPLGC/EN

Anything that I should note when using this in my home vs for business use?

No experience with them myself, but it looks like you'll have business/signage apps you don't need instead of the standard media apps. Roku/Fire etc. fixes that problem easily. How much will you be paying? It is only 1080p, so depending on the price it might make more sense to get a new 4k set anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Apologies if this gets brought up a ton, went back a few pages and didn't see it. Are the game features of the LG C1 worth the premium over the CX? Aside from that it looks pretty similar. Primarily will be used for movies/tv but will get some gaming use with an nvidia rtx pc.

Also, right now I've got a 4k but not hdmi2.1 receiver. Will I need to upgrade to an hdmi2.1 receiver to take advantage of gsync, 120hz etc?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Excellent, thanks! Think I'll have to finally stop at the entrance to Costco this week and put that bad boy on the cart. Now I just have to decide if I really want to splash out for the 77 vs the 65...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Swung by Costco earlier and the jerks must have sold their remaining CXs in the past week or two. So I did the reasonable thing and ordered the 77" CX from Bestbuy in the parking lot. Downside is it won't be here until next Tuesday, but on the upside it's being delivered and I had $100 in reward zone cash I forgot about, so price ended up being about $50 less than Costco. And I don't have to go rent a truck from Home Depot to haul it home.

Now to figure out which receiver I want to upgrade to...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

qirex posted:

The 2021 Onkyos [and their associated Pioneer and Integra siblings] seem like the best you can get now, just don’t get the 5100. They’re in pretty short supply if you need one right away.

I might just hold off on the receiver a while, as I'm realizing my only source that isn't 4k/60 is my PC. Can just run a separate hdmi cable for that through the wall and then use optical for audio from pc to my current receiver.

bull3964 posted:

I would so buy a 77" CX or C1 in a heartbeat, but I'm not quite ready to give up on 3d yet.

I've got a 27" 120Hz nvidia 3dvision monitor in my office that I have a ps3 hooked up to for 3d movies. Not as good as a huge screen and a couch, but it scratches that itch.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Once my LG CX gets here, I'll be running a Shield and uhd bluray through my old 4k60 receiver. For my pc I'll run a separate hdmi 2.1 cable up to the tv, but for audio I'm not sure if I should let hdmi carry audio from pc to tv, and then go optical from tv to receiver, or if I should just go optical straight from pc to receiver? Looking to minimize the audio lag as much as possible.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, that would work too. Just not sure what the least laggy option would be.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've also got a Denon, so sounds like I'll be running another HDMI through the wall. Thanks!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

qirex posted:

I have MediaLights and really like them, they are 6500K only. Their entry level model is on sale now, for size reference I have 3 sides covered on my 55" with a 2M strip. Make sure you get the dimmer, they are super bright at 100%

Thanks for this, picked up a 6m kit w/ wifi dimmer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ok, then, any good pointers to deals on a good OLED TV in the 50 to 60 inch range?

I *am* into gaming but mostly on PC (my current monitor is a 27" ACER XF270hu 2560x 1440 I bought in like 2016; I haven't gone larger because I don't like curved screens).

We mostly use the TV to watch movies and chromecast random british panel shows. But every so often something comes out that I want to watch in as high a quality as can be managed.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-c1-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6453324.p?skuId=6453324

55" LG C1 OLED for $1500. 65" is just a hair out of your budget at $2099. These are awesome for PC gaming too, with gsync/freesync and 120Hz.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

77" cx oled will be here tomorrow, I am so ready

e: mount looks really crooked in pic, but it is def level

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

codo27 posted:

I want you to put a level on that and take a picture

Lol, I have no idea how it looked so crooked in that pic

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

I guess you are running all your connections to the tv instead of using a receiver?

Yeah, figured I'll wait until 8k receivers are cheaper and more plentiful. My only 4k120 source is my pc for now, so I've got pc/shield/uhd bluray connected to TV and hdmi arc to 4k receiver.

Just fired it up!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Eighteen inches seems extreme, but sadly I think you're not wrong. Gonna have to wait until I have someone other than my wife to help, but yeah it should probably come down about 6"

And baseboards are definitely next on the ever growing list

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RichterIX posted:

I want to mount a TV on the ceiling over my bed so I can watch it while lying on my back and also it can fall during the night and kill me

This is one of the best use cases for VR headsets IMO.

also lol at the thread title

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I guess? I'm honestly not sure. The few monitor arms I googled don't look like they could support the weight / size of the display.

The cheapest thing to do would be to just get some thick boards and cut to fit but that would involve effort.

This one looks like it should work https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adjustable-Television-Screens-STAND-V155C/dp/B07GFRP5HT

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jokes posted:

I liked their wireless earbuds for a while

By a “while” I mean a week before the Bluetooth on them completely failed and they charged me money to return them

I'm on my third set of Buds+ that came free with my phone a few years ago. When they work they're great, they just don't often work. I like my phone though!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Your Costco runs will all be about 5-15 min shorter too, as you no longer have to stand in front of the OLED display sighing wistfully.

e: I am really glad someone brought up https://www.biaslighting.com/products/medialight-mk2-flex-6500k-cri-98-bias-lighting before I wall mounted the tv. It's made a big upgrade to our viewing experience

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

Saw that yesterday browsing their HDMI 2.1 thread. Model number is S760H. Didn't show up when I searched for it online. People are spotting them in stores though. Price is $399.

Looking at one in store now. Tempting, but I only have one source that needs it still. Will wait on reviews I think.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I ended up grabbing one of the Denon s760h receivers from Costco as well last week, to pair with my 77 LG CX. It replaced an s730h that I picked up back in 2018 when I got a 65" 4k Vizio. It kinda helped me justify getting a new one so I could use the s730h downstairs with the old tv.

No issues at all with the s760h, working great with ps5 and 3080ti pc.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

If the soundbar doesn't have HDMI input then I'm not sure why ARC is relevant at all.

Assuming you're meaning to say your soundbar doesn't have a built in HDMI switch and only has the HDMI interface for ARC, that's still not a problem.

Say your TV's ARC port is number 1. Plug the soundbar in to that, then plug a normal HDMI switch in to port 2 and plug whatever you want in to that. The TV should handle looping the audio back out the ARC port.

Yeah, if the TV is outputting audio via optical to your soundbar it would do so for every HDMI input on the TV.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

4k tier on YouTubeTV looks great, on the 3-4 football games each weekend that use it. Not at all worth the $20 upcharge though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Several of us in the thread have had that receiver for a little while now. It's been working fantastically for me, much like the s730 that it replaced did.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Taima posted:

Oops sorry if this is well known ^_^ was news to me!

I grabbed one today :)

e: omg it sets up your wifi via your Apple phone that is amazing. Oh and the LG magic remote works with the receiver menus drat. I had just absentmindedly picked it up out of habit and was using it to go through the setup before realizing I wasn't even using the receiver remote.

Hah no worries at all, sorry if my post came across that way. It really is a pretty fantastic little receiver, more people that hear about it the better!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mattfl posted:

From the XSX to the receiver
From the receiver to the C1

Those two, unless roku ultra is 4k120 / 8k? then all 3

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Presto posted:

Here's my situation. I have Comcast. I have a standard def CRT TV. I have never streamed anything in my life. My new 4k TV is coming Saturday. Comcast's website is useless.

Do I need a new cable box? Can I just stream 4k poo poo over wifi? How does this all work?

I need a Grampa Guide. :corsair:

My advice would be to ditch Comcast completely, cable tv is going to give you a compressed to hell 1080i or 720p image that looks like poo poo. Most (all?) streaming services have 4k content now, though some make you pay extra for 4k. If you need local channels, a $30 hd antenna will give you a better picture than cable. If you need all the sports channels, YouTubeTV has all the channels plus infinite DVR and you can watch on all your phones and tablets too.

Basically there is no good reason to pay for cable tv these days.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:getin:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Around now is when you start thinking to yourself that another $450 for a Denon hdmi 2.1 receiver isn't THAT much of a stretch...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

It looks like on the AVS Forum site, the Denon might have just been a temporary thing and is also showing some issues for some.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/denon-avr-s760h.3218301/page-67

..also on the Denon, once you get the ip address it's super easy to make adjustments from your laptop so you don't have to futz around with the remote or a phone app.

I've had mine for a few months now, and no weird behaviors so far *knocks on wood*. I've got a 3070ti PC, UHD BluRay, and Shield hooked up to it and then out to an LG CX. I'm not using earc or cec at all though, so maybe that heads off a lot of potential bugs. GSync and HDR for Forza Horizon5 is :woop:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any of your sources that go above 4k60 would need to go straight to the tv with a new 2.1 cable, normal 4k sources can still go through your receiver if you want but would work either way. Without eARC you can use an optical cable to carry audio from tv to your Pioneer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I was thinking $350, would that be fair?

Nobody has taken a stab at this for good reason I think. In a just world, $350 is probably fair because it's a fairly nice model. In the real world I don't think anyone looking at used tv's is going to care about anything past size and resolution. I think you'll have a hard time finding a buyer for a used 49" tv at any price, when you can pick up a crappy 65" 4k set for $500ish bucks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

prom candy posted:

Should I install bias lighting on/near my TV? Seeing conflicting opinions

Yes, but not the color strips because those don't work. White gives better color accuracy on the display.

https://www.biaslighting.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

prom candy posted:

Like literally 6500k? I don't allow anything over 3000k in my house.

6500k only from what I understand