Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Deck ideas

From what you're thinking, I'd probably go with Lando. More resources are always good, and I love the Saboteur for getting rid of pesky enhancements. You could even use him with the Falcon for fun shenanigans. I would definitely keep Asteroid Sanctuary. The Falcon is just such a great unit. The operative can also help make sure your Sleuths get through unopposed, and more Twists are always helpful for the Edge.

Since you're going with vehicles, maybe you could think about Prepare for Evacuation? It'd give you a few more Blast icons and help protect the Sleuths/Blockade Runner if something goes wrong. I'd also think about going cross-faction for The Defense of Yavin 4. The obj will help get the vehicles out faster, Red 2 is a great unit, and you get some of the ever-useful Rebel Assault. Astromech Droid Upgrade is not to be underestimated either. I got murdered by someone that got out a Sleuth with a Astromech Droid Upgrade on the first turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
So I've been playing this again in anticipation of the new cycle coming out, and I threw together a silly deck.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Star Wars Deck Builder

Affiliation:
Scum and Villainy (Core)

Total Objective Sets: (10)

2x Black Squadron Assault (Core)
Vader's TIE Advanced (Core)
TIE Advanced (Core)
Black Squadron Pilot (Core)
I'm On the Leader (Core)
Target of Opportunity (Core)

2x Kuat Reinforcements (Core)
"Backstabber" (Core)
TIE Fighter (Core)
TIE Bomber (Core)
Tallon Roll (Core)
Death from Above (Core)

2x Defense Protocol (Core)
TIE Attack Squadron (Core)
TIE Fighter (Core)
Tallon Roll (Core)
Death from Above (Core)
Twist of Fate (Core)

2x The Endor Gambit (Core)
AT-ST Commander (Core)
AT-ST (Core)
AT-ST (Core)
Aft Armor Plating (Core)
Target of Opportunity (Core)

2x Hunt Them Down (Escape from Hoth)
Dengar (Escape from Hoth)
Kihraxz-class Assault Fighter (Escape from Hoth)
Kihraxz-class Assault Fighter (Escape from Hoth)
Remote Hideout (Escape from Hoth)
Target of Opportunity (Escape from Hoth)

I hope we get some more Dark Side Fighter stuff in this cycle. I love my "Star Destroy Rush" deck, but variety is cool, right?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

tijag posted:

Do you feel like you can get enough units out with how few resources the deck has?

I think so, given how most of the units are. Kuat Reinforcements also helps. I may swap out an Endor Gambit for an Endless Reserves, but I'll see how it plays as is, first.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
All of the spoilers for Heroes and Legends are up on cardgamedb here.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
As I do my deckbuilding online, I like to have each objective set in a single pocket of my binder, sorted by number. Makes it easier to find everything.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Woo, Victory-class Star Destroyers. These are going right in my Capital Ship deck.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

Picked up my copy of Lure of the Dark Side today, and I'm of two minds. I'm loving some of the new effects, like the Commando Operations pod screwing with Fate card usage, and Against All Odds having a lot of effects based on hand size...but I was really hoping this cycle would have something like the Hoth cycle's metamechanic of so many things hinging on a Hoth tag.

That said, this pack was worth it alone for the Victory or Death pod. My favorite decks are Imperial Navy decks full of capital ships (Much like Taran_Wanderer above) so I'm pretty happy with this pod.

I'm happy that they're continuing to release some Hoth cards, at least. Now I'm just waiting for them to put some more Black Squadron stuff out. Hopefully the set that contains this Precision Flying card has some more TIE Fighter stuff, at least.

As for Capital Ships, I think I'll go for:

2x Endor Gambit
2x Deploy the Fleet
2x Unstoppable Advance
1x Endless Reserves
1x Imperial Blockade
2x Victory or Death

I'm half tempted to take out Unstoppable Advance for Carbonite Trasport and its Tractor Beams, but AT-AT's and the Orbital Resupply Station are so good. If I get one of those new alt-art Tarkin's, The Ultimate Power is going in here no question.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Played in a small tournament yesterday to get back into the game. My Imperial Navy deck did reasonably, though I still lost with it, but my Jedi deck did terribly. I think I'll tweak my Navy deck a bit, but I'm still not sure how to go with the Jedi. I think I'll test these tonight online:

Affiliation:
Imperial Navy (Core)

1x Reconnaissance Mission (Core)
2x Deploy the Fleet (The Search For Skywalker)
1x Sabotage in the Snow (Assault on Echo Base)
2x Unstoppable Advance (The Battle of Hoth)
1x Endless Reserves (Escape from Hoth)
1x Imperial Blockade (Edge of Darkness)
2x Victory or Death (Lure of the Dark Side)

Affiliation:
Rebel Alliance (Core)

2x A Hero's Journey (Core)
2x Forgotten Heroes (Core)
2x The Secret of Yavin 4 (Core)
1x Self Preservation (A Dark Time)
1x Heroes and Legends (Heroes and Legends)
1x Forward Reconnaissance (Heroes and Legends)
1x Commando Operations (Lure of the Dark Side)

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I'm guessing that they deliberately made the combo, but didn't realize it was going to be as powerful as it ended up being. Probably like how The Long Voyage turned out in A Game of Thrones: The Card Game.

I'm also thinking that this cycle's development was interrupted or something, due to recent changes with the Star Wars brand. Might also explain why it took so long to start the cycle.

Edit: I also read somewhere that this is a temporary fix because it's the middle of Tournament Season, and things will stabilize once the whole cycle is out. Who knows.

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 21, 2014

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Knowledge and Defense Spoilers are up on cardgamedb. The Plan of the Prophetess set has the "tech lab" location for the Sith, to no one's suprise. Deadly Sight also reminds me of the "burn" archetype in the Game of Thrones LCG, though who knows if we'll see enough to make an entire deck based on it.

Looking at The Hoth Gambit again, General Carlist Rieekan is pretty drat awesome. Two Tactics icons, Shielding, and he heals Hoth Objectives? Echo Base will allow Snowspeeder Counterattack to do 4 damage, which is ridiculous. I think I'll try this deck out when I get home:

Affiliation:
Rebel Alliance (Core)

1x Echo Base Defense (The Desolation of Hoth)
2x Sensors Are Placed (The Search For Skywalker)
1x Frozen Refuge (Assault on Echo Base)
2x Hold the Line! (The Battle of Hoth)
2x Evacuation Procedure (Escape from Hoth)
2x The Hoth Gambit (Knowledge and Defense)

Might swap out Evacuation Procedure for Renegade Squadron Mobilization or Last Defense of Hoth, though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I have my Regional a week from Sunday and I have no idea how these new cards are going to shape things. I'm thinking that my Jedi deck is pretty strong and not going to benefit from the new set even though the Crow is great but the rest of the set isn't that great in retrospect. I'm thinking that Scum is still too slow and I don't think Navy is particularly threatening right now so I'm sticking with pure Sith.

Here's what I'm looking at running is anyone has any thoughts.

I'm looking forward to using The Flight of the Crow in my Jedi deck. While the Moldy Crow is pretty awesome, I think Valley of the Jedi is going to be more important, as it's the first card with Jedi resources. As for your deck, I'm always a little leery of using 4 sets of the minor affiliation. I'm not too fond of more then 1 Heroes and Legends either, because do I really want 4 Kyles floating around? Personally, I'd take out a Heroes and Legends and an Against All Odds for 2 of The Secret of Yavin 4 or In You Must Go.

As for Sith, I've been moving away from Counsel of the Sith, because of Dash/Freeholders, though I do miss the Twists of Fate sometimes. I'd think about using The Executor Arrives or The Plan of the Prophetess for those resources. I'm using Shadows of Dathomir and The Ghosts of the Darkside for more Force Struggle shenanigans, myself. However, mostly I play my Imperial Navy deck. Star Destroyers are entirely too much fun:

Affiliation:
Imperial Navy (Core)

1x Death and Despayre (Core)
2x Deploy the Fleet (The Search For Skywalker)

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Thanks for the Feedback, I find that Dash is usually pretty good no matter what I run, and you're right about the 4 Kyles but its nice to have a big drop for Edge battles and 3 is pretty good to follow up a twist. I also built the deck around being able to bounce things with the objective so I'm trying to see that as much as possible. Bouncing Dash or Luke can really swing a game. I'm a bit leery of using 4 sets of a minor affiliation as well I'm hoping it won't be a problem. I might swing into Jedi primary and use a pair of Han instead of ObiWan. I don't like Obiwan's objective set that much and I feel like Han would be better given that he also comes with resources and Forgotten Heroes doesn't work off Heroes and Legends, but I do like Jedi Mind Trick and while Swindled is good, it's no Mind Trick.

Sith-wise you're probably right about Counsel being not worth it in this deck. While I did enjoy the draw power, the set itself isn't so helpful. Although I'm not really feeling Executor either because the Holocron is pretty much the only thing worthwhile in the set. I'm not sold on Plan of the Prophetess either but more tactics icons is good I guess. For a while I was leaning toward Heart of the Empire because Force Stasis would be great but I don't want to draw into two of them but there's a lot of other targets for the Defense Fleet. Maybe I'll go with 1 of that and 1 Plan of the Prophetess.

Ah, Heroes and Legends bouncing shenanigans are pretty cool. I had some moderate success using Jan Ors with my Jedi deck, especially after I added Embers of Hope. The 0 cost Moisture Farmers worked so well for Ors, and getting Targeted Strike on Kyle Katarn is ridiculous. Obi-Wan isn't so great, yeah. I stubbornly keep him in my deck, and he pays off when I get him out, but that 5 cost was really hard to swing. Hopefully The Flight of the Crow's resources will help my deck out with that. If you want to keep Jedi Mind Trick, maybe Jedi Training? Not the best set, but the cheaper units might might help a bit, and with all the new stuff encouraging people to win the Force Struggle, it'd be nice to have help with that.

Heck yeah Heart of the Empire. Force Stasis even has Mara Jade on it, so you have extra theme! If you're still unsure of Plan of the Prophetess, what about Reconnaissance Mission? Can't go wrong with more Fate Cards.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Reconnaissance is always an option, 3 good fate cards and a pair of free objective damage weenies. I'm going to run with 2 Hearts for right now and test on Sunday. I'm thinking that Force Stasis might not be as good with my current setup because I'm trying to keep the Force on my side but it's a nice trick to delay Han/Luke/Dash or those drat Freeholders a turn. Those things are probably my biggest issue right now, they're really loving good. I'm thinking people might go for Dash over them.

Is there no organized community for Star Wars like there is for Netrunner? I can't even find winning decklists from the past regionals without having to go to specific regional store sites.

There Is No Escape will be helpful with that, too, if you've got enough resources out, though I think playing A Game of Thrones has biased me towards board wipes.

Yeah, the Star Wars community isn't nearly as organized as Netrunner's. Cardgamedb's forums seems to have a good bunch of people, and Flip The Force has reports on tournaments and regionals.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

After a long day of testing I'm going pure Smugglers and Spies using Dash over Freeholders.

Sith side I went with 1x Emperor and 1x Executor instead of the Counsels. I tried x2 Heart of the Empire but the Defense Fleet never worked out and Force Stasis wasn't as good as I'd hoped either.

I wish I'd had more time to play around with the new Scum set, it could be good.

Yeah, Scum is getting lots of great stuff. We'll see how they do this season. Good Luck with your games!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Got a chance to play with Flight of the Crow yesterday using this deck:

Affiliation:
Jedi (Core)

1x Forgotten Heroes (Core)
2x The Secret of Yavin 4 (Core)
2x Self Preservation (A Dark Time)
2x The Flight of the Crow (Knowledge and Defense)

Overall, I'm very pleased with how it worked. The extra resources really helped me get out Obi-Wan more easily, and I'd forgotten how awesome Obi-Wan can be. In fact, I think I'll replace a The Secret of Yavin 4 with another Forgotten Heroes and see how that works. Hopefully two Guardians and Soresu Training will be enough to protect people. Knowledge and Defense is up on OCTGN now, so I think I'll spend some time testing tonight. Anyone have thoughts on Jedi?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Card image collections: here and here

I like the Following Fate objective and the new Yoda, along with The Flight of the Crow from Knowledge and Defense, for encouraging using just Jedi, but not actually requiring it. Did we really need another Yoda and Obi-Wan, though?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Played in a small tournament at All Things Fun in West Berlin, NJ last night to prepare for Regionals there on Saturday. Ended up coming in 4th (of 6) but overall I was pleased with how my decks played. I used:

Affiliation:
Imperial Navy (Core)

2x Death and Despayre (Core)
1x Deploy the Fleet (The Search For Skywalker)

Affiliation:
Jedi (Core)

2x Forgotten Heroes (Core)
1x The Secret of Yavin 4 (Core)
2x Self Preservation (A Dark Time)
2x The Flight of the Crow (Knowledge and Defense)

First game, I led with Navy against my opponent's Smugglers/Jedi. Amusingly, though most of his deck was Smugglers, he ended up playing almost all Jedi and no Smugglers. I got a Devastator out early, and blew up an Objective unopposed, but he managed to whittle it down over time with Luke's Targeted Strike. Victory-Class Star Destroyers managed to hold the Force for me, but in the end, he managed to win with the dial at 11. Almost makes me wish I had played an Imperial Officer for the extra dial advancement. He then played Sith and while Mara Jade did excellent work, Luke, Kyle, and the Moldy Crow were able to overcome.

Second game, I started with Navy again, while my opponent had Rebel Speeders. I managed to get Needa, a Victory-Class, an Orbital Resupply Station, and a Control Room out first turn. He then killed the Victory with a Snowspeeder Counterattack, damaged Victory or Death with a Speeder, then dropped a Technician to take the Force. I then drew too few units and he won with the dial at 4. His Sith deck managed to crush me as well. My opening hand was something like Obi-Wan, Valley of the Jedi, Dagobah Training Grounds, Gotal Outcast, and some others. I really wanted the resources and Obi-Wan, but I started out too slow and he was able to destroy my objectives.

Third game, Jedi were first, against a Navy deck similar to mine, though he had Dark Trooper Project. Though he started strong, his constant attacks left him overextended and I was able to keep the Force. I then played a Rahn's Guidance for a Moldy Crow to cinch the win. He then played a Rebel Hoth deck, starting strong with a Wilderness Fighter, followed soon by a Hoth Rearguard with Hoth Survival Gear, which was a big pain. However, I managed to get out an AT-AT Assault Formation and he couldn't manage to out damage me.

Overall, a nice night and I'm looking forward to Regionals even more.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

New Yoda is pretty wacky, his set is definitely not very impressive. I think this is the worst force pack this cycle. Still I think the Yoda set could be good for when the next deluxe box drops and we can run 6 copies of Yoda + 2 You Seek Yoda will lead to some crazy consistency for a Jedi "defend and hold the force" deck.

Mmm, I think I agree overall. I like each individual card in May The Force Be With You, especially Yoda and the Objective, but I don't think it's very synergistic with other Jedi sets. I'm going to give it a try, but I don't know if it'll stick around. If I can get Makashi Training on him and kill the Executor in one blow, it'll be a good day.

As for the Dark Side sets, I'm going to have some fun with Veers and the Troopers. 3 Unit Damage and Targeted Strike sounds pretty good to me! At the moment, I'm thinking this:

1x Imperial Command
2x The General's Imperative
1x Repair and Refurbish
2x The Dark Trooper Project
2x The Second Phase
2x Reinforcements

Repair and Refurbish is mostly in there as my group mostly plays 2v2, but it'll help with playing the Dark Trooper Legions, so I'm not unhappy with it. Might replace a Reinforcements with another Imperial Command or a Take Them Prisoner so there's no chance of getting two Reinforcements in my opening Objective draw, though. Scouring the Empire or Victory or Death are also options for more Force commitment shenanigans.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how I wished this was more of a theme and *poof* here it is. Very excited. However it looks like they're relying on the Pilot mechanic a bit too much. Hopefully there's a lot of stuff that works without being a pilot. It would have been nice if the keyword allowed you to attach things after they're in play, Hobbie can "get in" a ship after he's already in play by paying 1. Piloting should be gravy on an already good thing, or a way to flex a card into a different type of strategy, instead it looks like they're making you use 2 cards to really get *anything* at all. I'm not disappointed, just a little skeptical and hopeful that we'll see some really powerful stuff come out of this to make the Pilot mechanic worthwhile.

Also the best card previewed out there is Lost Master, time to dig out Forgotten Heroes.

I don't know, most of these units look pretty nice even even without the Pilots. I'd be pretty happy to play the 181st Interceptor and Delta One even if I didn't have a Pilot, and the Smuggling Freighter looks pretty standard, but with a nice bonus if piloted. Should be pretty cool!

Also, I wonder if Stay on Target will allow you to play Wedge/Luke/Black Sq Pilot and get their text. It'd be pretty sweet to get those guys on anything, rather then just Fighters/Speeders.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Neat! I was just wondering when we were going to get more Capital Ships for the Independence, too.

Looking at the Independence again, I think it will work on your partner's ships in 2v2. Maybe I'll finally use the Redemption alongside my friend's Rebel deck!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Oh boy! Time to bring on the Ewoks.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Wow, Rash Action is amazing. Rest of the set is kind of good, those Ewoks are going to be drat annoying to deal with. C3P0 is solid great for what he is. Seeds is a nice addition for Smugglers as well.

This reminded me; I think it's interesting that each Affiliation has just one set with Echoes of the Force and Seeds of Decay. I'm going to be putting Scouring the Empire in my Scum deck with The Droid's Task, mostly for the extra Echoes of the Force, though Jerac should also be useful. Maybe my Scum deck will actually be able to win the Edge occasionally!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
New spoilers for the next Navy set are out. Intriguing set. Not too sure what to do with it at the moment, but will definately be good once we get into the next cycle. Navy Affiliation only also makes it difficult to work with. Might try it as a one of with the other DS Fighter sets we have at the moment, though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

alg posted:

Picked up Darkness and Light today. Not sure what's playable outside of the Sith set, but sadly it's time to settle in and wait to see how long Between the Shadows takes :/

I'm going to be using Salacious Crumb, at least. I might try out the Jedi set, but I'm rather fond of the way my Jedi deck is now.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

I currently have the Hoth cycle up to Assault on Echo Base and one copy of Edge of Darkness.

Any idea what the hell can I do with all the Scum and Villainy cards, since the faction looks super fun? It doesn't have to be super competitive - which it obviously won't be with singleton objectives, but I struggle to think of anything, like with Smugglers I can take my 2x stuff from hoth packs and build something decent around those hoth objectives, but with scum, not so much.

The only real idea I have right now is Jutland Wastes + Tattoine Crash for mass recycling of bounties and those Sith offensive enhancements, but that's just too janky with one EoD.

2x Lucrative Contract
2x Jabba's Orders
2x Hunt for Han Solo
1x Jabba's Reach
1x Hive of Scum and Villany
1x Trandoshan Terror
1x Carbonite Transport

If you have two Cores, you could swap the Hunt for Han Solo with the Bespin Exchange. Feel free to experiment with swapping out the single objective sets with others from EoD. However, the best thing to do would be to get a Lure of the Dark Side pack as Zuckuss is amazing. IG-88 from It Binds all Things is also really good, but I prefer Zuckuss.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Neat! Don't know that I'll find room for it with everything else that we're getting but still, neat!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Jesus. I was thinking of just using Journey to Dagobah and A Hero's Resolve, but this works too! Too bad it doesn't combo with Trench Run, but that's probably a good thing all told. That Navy version of Vader's Tie is pretty exciting as well.

I just noticed that The Hunters from Between the Shadows was spoiled a couple weeks back. All these exciting cards for Jedi and Scum make me really happy that those are the two factions I play. If nothing else, maybe I'll try using core Boba Fett again with this set.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Obi-Wan Between the Shadows Spoilers

Looks pretty awesome! Makes me want to use this with Forgotten Heroes so I can still have access to Jedi Mind Trick and Jedi in Hiding.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

alg posted:

Just postin' my favorite Light Side deck I've ever played. Almost a quarter of the deck is fate cards. I've had a ton of turn 1 objectives destroyed. It's not consistent at all, but it's super fun to play. I'm retiring it because I like to play new decks in league and because hopefully Rogue Squadron will be out sometime in the next 6 months so I can play new fighters :unsmith:

ps you haven't lived until you've had an Operative Double Strike after dropping 2 Target of Opportunitys to take out a 6 health objective

My friend always uses Hit and Run for that reason. So much fun.

Myself, I've been messing around with Superior Numbers. I've been surprised by how well its been working, even without the new cycle. Precision Flying is really good. Now that I look at it, other then Superior Numbers, it's all sets from the Core. I'm always amazed how one new set can make something work.

Objective: (10)
2x Black Squadron Assault (Core 21-1)
1x Imperial Command (Core 26-1)
2x Kuat Reinforcements (Core 27-1)
2x Defense Protocol (Core 30-1)
1x The Endor Gambit (Core 31-1)
2x Superior Numbers (Darkness and Light 125-1)

I'm tempted to replace Imperial Command with Across the Jundland Wastes, too. Such an annoying Objective, and the extra Tactics icons don't hurt! Still, I'm a Scum player at heart, and I'm really looking forward to Between the Shadows.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
While Trench Run can't be targeted, Asteroid Base can. If the deck is really rolling, the loss of Asteroid Base won't affect it as much, but it can slow it down significantly, at least.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
The Droid's Task from It Binds All Things. IG-88 is really awesome. I'm a big fan of Jabba's Orders from The Search for Skywalker, too.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Woohoo, Between the Shadows! Friend and I bought it last tonight, threw some decks together, and played a few games. My decks were:

2x A Hero's Trial, 2x The Master's Domain, 2x Following Fate, 2x The Flight of the Crow, 1x Heroes and Legends, 1x The Secret of Yavin 4
2x Masterful Manipulation, 2x All Out Brawl, 2x The Hunters, 2x Slave Trade, 1x The Best Credits Can Buy, 1x Lucrative Contract

I won all four games we played, though I think it was more due to the weaknesses in my friend's decks then anything else. A good place to start, at least.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

How did you like All Out Brawl? It's probably my least favorite of the new stuff however I'm looking forward to building a deck with that and Emperor's Web so I can Force Lightning + Zekka, and turn the Emperor into a 5 gun character with 'Armed to the Teeth'.

While I wasn't too fond of it either, after using it last night I think it's a pretty nice defensive set. Zekka's combat icons make him an excellent blocker, and his reaction makes him a great form of MAD. The rest is mostly just extra defensive stuff, though the extra resource is nice. Zekka is also a nice target for a return to hand effect (e.g. A Better Offer), or some form of sacrifice if you think he's become too dangerous for you. Having Zekka wipe the board and then bringing back everything with Show of Force is a great way to close out a game, too.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
After playing with my Jedi deck some more, I've decided to swap out A Hero's Trial with A Hero's Journey. While the new Luke is really good, I think the old set has more synergy with how I want the deck to play. While I Am a Jedi does provide resources, requiring a Force User to be in play first makes it far more difficult to use then I had originally hoped. Having another resource out helps mitigate that, of course, but then I don't feel the need to play it anyway. While the Speeder Bike is pretty great, the cheaper Twi'lek Loyalist will help with the cost curve, and with Flight of the Crow, I think I've got enough extra Edge anyway. Ruusan Colonists are pretty great when Plan of the Prophetess isn't everywhere! I'll miss the Heat of Battle the most, I think, but hopefully the extra objective damage from the Jedi Lightsaber will make up for it.

Current Jedi deck: 2x A Hero's Journey, 1x The Secret of Yavin 4, 1x Heroes and Legends, 2x The Flight of the Crow, 2x The Master's Domain, 2x Following Fate

As for Scum, I've replaced All Out Brawl with The Trandoshan Terror. As excellent a deterrent as Zekka Thyne is, I'm far too attached to my units to be comfortable with destroying them most of the time. I hope Bossk will let me trigger Boushh more often, and the Trandoshan Hunters are still excellent blockers. Still, Zekka Thyne has won me games by resetting the board, and I'm down a resource with the loss of the Debt Collectors, so we'll see how it goes.

Current Scum deck: 1x Lucrative Contract, 2x The Trandoshan Terror, 2x The Slave Trade, 2x Masterful Manipulation, 1x The Best Credits Can Buy, 2x The Hunters

My next experiment will be with a Trooper/Walker deck that I've tried on and off since General Veers came out. While straight Troopers is probably better, I like my AT-AT's way too much to not give this another go. Something like:
2x Imperial Command, 2x The General's Imperative, 1x Sabotage in the Snow, 2x Unstoppable Advance, 1x The Admiral's Assault, 2x Family Connections.
While having Tarkin, Motti, and Tagge in the same deck appeals to me greatly, I think the extra Fate Cards from The Admiral's Assault will work better. Maybe next cycle a Death Star deck will be a thing.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I really don't like the new Obi-Wan set. Yes, it's nice in the early game but they put a single point of damage on it and it's blank, you're not running enough Secrets of Yavin to protect it very well either. Obi-Wan himself is kinda lame. Heroic Sacrifice is not great. R2 is good, TofOP is not necessary. His saber is so-so.
While I was worried about this, so far I haven't really found it to be an issue. Way I figure it, either I have it for a while and it's annoying to them, or they swing at it early, and I can use that to swing back more easily. I'll have to test it against some more aggressive builds. I'm also considering swapping the new Luke back in and using Jedi Training or Self Preservation for more cheap Force Users and Embers of Hope for more attachments, but I am far too fond of all the extra edge and resources provided by The Flight of the Crow. So that I can have both built at the same time, I might try:
2x In You Must Go, 2x Questionable Contacts, 2x Self Preservation, 1x Embers of Hope, 1x Watchers in the Wasteland, 2x A Hero's Trial
Using Moisture Farmers to fuel Questionable Contacts amuses me greatly.

PaybackJack posted:

My Jedi:

2x Hero's Trial
2x Hero's Journey
2x Heroes and Legends
2x Secret of Yavin
2x In You Must Go

Swapping Luke for Luke with Heroes is amazing. Luke throwing his lightsaber all over the place is amazing. Attaching Luke's Lightsaber to old Luke is amazing.

I really like your Luke build! Usually I'm not fond of having that many unique units, but all that edge is really tempting. A friend of mine is going to try new Luke with Han, Chewie, and their weapons to maximize enhancement shenanigans. I'll have to show him this. Might be worth using To Arms! with the new Luke even if you aren't using Han and Chewie for the extra weapons, card draw, and weapon tutor. Huh. Maybe I'll try that out in the above Jedi deck instead of Embers of Hope.

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't built troopers yet but I plan to. The biggest problem with the old trooper deck was that you simply couldn't field enough of them. They need to make a card that lets you draw more cards whenever you play a trooper. Getting a shield on all your troopers is cool but doesn't make up for those times in your deck when you had nothing but troopers in your hand. So actually I like your idea of adding walkers to the mix.

I think that Family Connections is exactly what Troopers needed to bring them up to a Tier 1 deck, though going Sith for Vader's Fist and possibly The Second Phase is probably going to end up better then Veers. Still, I've been messing around with the Walkers for too long not to give it another go. I'm also considering Victory or Death for the extra force icons, resources and to get more use out of the Oribital Resupply Stations. A single Endless Reserves might not be bad either, simply to help pay for everything. Man, I really like messing around with different decks in Star Wars.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
My Store Championships have started yet, either, but they're coming up soon. Now that Conquest is out of the way, it's time to buckle down and play a ton of Star Wars. I've been playing Jedi pretty much since the game came out, so I'll probably stick with that. I'll try out this "Endor Commando" deck first, though:

1x Tribal Support, 2x Commando Operations, 2x Ties of Blood, 2x Impersonating a Deity, 2x A Hero's Trial, 1x Commando Raid

Who knows, it might even work! At the very least, Commando Operations will help against all The Prince's Schemes going around. Might also try something with more Rebels and Fate cards:

2x A Journey to Dagobah, 2x The Rebel Fleet, 1x Hit and Run, 2x Hoth Operations, 2x Commando Operations, 1x Commando Raid

I want to live the dream and play Wedge on Red Five. Haven't played with Home One in a while, so that should be fun, too.

As for the Dark Side, I'm having entirely too much fun with Scum & Villainy, though bringing out the old Star Destroyer deck is mighty tempting. I really miss playing Imperial Blockade. Still, with Boushh and all these big Jedi units, I think I'll try something with old Boba Fett:

2x The Bespin Exchange, 1x Carbonite Transport, 2x Trandoshan Terror, 2x Masterful Manipulation, 1x The Best That Credits Can Buy, 2x The Hunters

A little lighter on units and Tactics icons then I'm used to, but it might be interesting to pull off an Aggro Scum deck. Hopefully it'll be able to hold its own in the Edge, too.

PaybackJack posted:

I'm pretty convinced at this point the only way to get around pure Scum is with Trench Run. Watching your opponent Masterful Manipulation his way into Hunters/Hunters/TatCrash or Slavers is not cool. As Jedi you might keep the force but Scum doesn't give a gently caress because they've got potentially 21 damage capacity worth of objectives plus Corrupt Officials.

Eh, I don't know. My old Jedi deck holds its own pretty well, at least against the decks I've been playing against. Practically everything is Elite, so it's hard to have my board stay focused down and A Hero's Journey is still great for Targeted Strike and removing even more focus tokens from the board. Flight of the Crow also provides a lot of extra edge for getting around The Prince's Scheme, and the Moldy Crow itself is great for burst damage. Still, it might be worth trying out A Journey to Dagobah again for less edge dependent burst in Red Five, Double Strike and another Target of Opportunity. I still haven't gotten around to trying out A Hero's Trial with Embers of Hope, but I think that will work pretty well, too.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

The problem with the decks I saw against pure scum was that they simply didn't have enough blast damage. Crow might be 4 but if that happens it's a corrupt official and then it's dead in the ensuring battle. Really though Jedi are extremely blast damage deficient. New Luke has 2, old Luke has 2, and all the other named Jedi have 1. Red 5/ Crow both have a lot but they have low health and won't survive the battle a lot of the time because they can't be protected beyond a shield from the Guardians. Tactics icons weren't really a huge issue for the decks I saw, they simply didn't have the long term blast damage needed to overcome such large damage objectives. A single Black Sun HeadHunter was often enough to stop all damage to the objectives against most of the Jedi units. Targeted Strike really didn't mean a whole lot against the Scum as they generally seemed to send most of their guys into the battle. The deck can really field a lot of units very cheaply and effectively. I saw quite a few decks running Zuckuss as well, Containment Field was huge against Jedi as was being able to combo Springing the Ambush with Relentless Pursuit.

One thing I saw was that New Yoda early on, is god drat amazing. Multiple Games I saw people play him with "Yoda, You Seek Yoda" on the DS first turn draw back up, follow it up with a Guardian of Peace on their turn and swing. With 3 tactics icons he'd easily start a lock down of characters on the enemy side, and then speeder bike would come out and it just spiraled from there. While I didn't like the objective set initially, watching people use it to drop multiple Jedi a turn with 2 out was pretty impressive as well. I'm definitely changing my stance on that pod after seeing it in use, it's pretty good.

Objective damage has always been Jedi's weakness, but I've found, between what they do have and the Moldy Crow, they put out enough. It just requires careful manipulation of combats, which is what I feel Jedi excel at. I'm almost never going to attack with the Moldy Crow if there's enough defenders to kill it. Its ability to negate Shielding and Protect is almost as valuable as its objective damage, and I'm going to want to keep it alive. Yoda, Luke, and especially Obi-Wan are well suited to taking out the defenders so the Moldy Crow has room to strike. Even if its damage is prevented by a Corrupt Official, that probably means I had a stronger edge hand, keeping Obi-Wan/Luke/Yoda alive, the lack of defenders keeps the Moldy Crow alive, and I've still done one damage. As long as I can keep the Force, I'm usually happy to spread out the damage I do over several turns. While the combo from The Findsman's Intuition is always annoying, Following Fate has been a good deterrent, and my opponent spends half his hand on it, so I'm happy to be more likely to win the Edge.

The Master's Domain is wonderful in Mono-Jedi. The sheer number of focus tokens Yoda can put on the board, the extra commitment to the Force from Yoda's Hut, the extra resources for getting a good start, and the extra defensive stuff are all just what Jedi wants. Friend of mine got that Yoda out on the board with a Trust Your Feelings, and proceeded to completely lock down my board for the rest of the game. Good stuff.

alg posted:

I am thinking about a variant of my Rebel vehicles deck:

2 Hoth Ops
1 Blue Squadron
2 The Rebel Fleet
1 Commando Raid
1 Commando Operations
1 Hit and Run
2 The Defense of Yavin 4

Tons of fate with ships with tons of blast. Main problem is resources, 4 Hidden Outosts can sometimes never come up.

Neat! I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with resources, since you have General Crix Madine, The Defense of Yavin 4 and the Rebel Commandos in addition to the Hidden Outposts. I might swap out the Blue Squadron Support for another Commando Operations though, as that will give you extra fuel for your fate card shenanigans. I posted something similar earlier, but I used A Journey to Dagobah instead of The Defense of Yavin 4 for the extra copies of Target of Opportunity (8 total!) and the resources from R2-D2. Double Strike might even be helpful on all the Commandos. Forward Reconnaissance is also an option, giving you the Rebel Force Struggle resource, Twist of Fate, and Tactics on Jan Ors.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

Imperial Navy Capital Ship testing

Nice idea, though I'm sad it didn't work out. Personally, I think Victory or Death is very important for a Capital Ship deck, as it provides much needed Force Icons for winning the edge and taking the Force. I was also fond of using Unstoppable Advance for the Orbital Resupply Stations, and Endless Reserves to smooth the cost curve. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Black Squadron Assault, even without the Sith Affiliation. While you won't always be able to play Vader's TIE Advance (and I'm On the Leader, but who cares about that), you can still bring it out with the Escort Carrier, or use it for the Edge. The TIE Advanced and Black Pilot are both neutral and pretty useful, especially if you can get the Pilot on a TIE Attack Squadron. Another Target of Opportunity is always helpful, too.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Time for our Store Championship on Sunday! I think I've finalized the decks I'll be taking:

2x A Hero's Journey (Core 1-1)
1x The Secret of Yavin 4 (Core 5-1)
2x Self Preservation (A Dark Time 48-1)
1x Heroes and Legends (Heroes and Legends 97-1)
2x The Master’s Domain (Between the Shadows 128-1)
2x Following Fate (Between the Shadows 129-1)

As much as I like The Flight of the Crow, the extra Force Users from Self Preservation have been a real boon to the deck, as it gives me a lot more targets for Noble Sacrifice and Obi-Wan Kenobi's reaction, as well as the various enhancements. The Jedi's Resolve opens opportunities for swinging with the Gotal Outcasts, as well. I've also decided to stick with A Hero's Journey. I like the set's flexibility, compared to A Hero's Trial. I missed Heat of Battle, but using Self Preservation has fixed that problem, too. Once I get the alt-art Obi-Wan, I think I'll try experimenting with Forgotten Heroes again. Jedi Mind Trick is so nice.

2x The Bespin Exchange (Core 33-1)
1x Carbonite Transport (Edge of Darkness 84-1)
2x Trandoshan Terror (Edge of Darkness 85-1)
2x Masterful Manipulation (Between the Shadows 135-1)
1x The Best That Credits Can Buy (Between the Shadows 137-1)
2x The Hunters (Between the Shadows 138-1)

Yup, that's The Bespin Exchange in there! I've been leaning towards more aggressive play for my Dark Side, and the Outer Rim Hunters are fantastic for that job. Between Snoova, Bossk, Bounty, and, of course, Boba Fett, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Bounty Collection and The Bespin Exchange's reaction. Getting more dial ticks out of Boushh is also great. Carbonite Transport also lets me use those captured cards aggressively, and while Tractor Beam isn't too useful, I like having more three force icon cards for the edge. I was using Lucrative Contract, but I felt I needed more units that I would actually play. Explosive Charge was almost always useless, too. I think I'll revisit it after Store Championships, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Bespin Exchange is one of those sets that I wish they could go back and errata. Giving Boba Fett an additional damage capacity would have made him a million times better. And rewording the Exchange itself to just be capture a card, would have made it a lot better as well and would have allowed it to fit into more decks. Trandoshan Terror looks to be there just for Bossk. Honestly I'd probably swap out Carbonite Transport and TBTCCB for x2 Jabba's Reach. Pretty much every card in that set slots into yours and there's a lot of Bountys there for Jabba to use. Reversal of Fate is great and you should have the resource for it most of the time. Please Barge gives you a decent hitter to compliment your others but also allows you to keep those better units open for attacking. TBTCCB is really only giving you another Headhunter and Rise of the Black Sun x3.

I was experimenting with this type of deck for a while. It's great against aggressive Jedi until they realize that they can actually go defensive, sit on the force and destroy you on defense while they build a better army and tick down your objectives with the LS balance clock.

Anyway, good luck in your rounds and may the force be with you. Look forward to reading your trip report.

Haha, yeah. Poor Boba Fett. A protector would have been nice, but I've found The Prince's Scheme to be pretty good for winning the Edge and keeping him alive. Someday I'll put Mandalorian Armour on the new Boba Fett and it will be fantastic. I'm hoping we'll see a few more capture from play effects to really make it work. As for The Trandoshan Terror, Bossk is the star, yeah, but I've been getting a surprising amount of mileage out of the Trandoshan Hunters. They're basically Heavy Stormtrooper Squads, and I even get to use their ability occasionally! drat Wookies. I've been contemplating using Jabba's Reach for a while now; that was always a staple of my Scum decks before Between the Shadows. I haven't used it so far, in part, because I don't want too many five cost units in the deck. Mostly, though, I don't want Jabba the Hutt in my Black Sun deck :( Still, I think you're right and it will add a lot to the deck. I think I'll take out Carbonite Transport and one The Bespin Exchange to make room. I'd rather not take out The Best That Credits Can Buy, as I really like having the third Black Sun Headhunter for consistency and having more explosive combats with Show of Force. I'm usually happy to see the Virago's three Force icons, too, whether for the edge, or as a cheap(ish) unit to commit to the Force. Still, The Bespin Exchange suffers with only one copy so maybe I can get some testing in before Sunday. Damnit, I was trying to avoid last minute changes!

Thanks for the advice!

• Locked thread