Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Civ 5 is okay but I think its kind of oversimplified from Civ 4:BTS. Civ 4:BTS was just a little bit too complex. I've never really figured out how to use corporations and espionage efficiently.

Do GIP bros want to play Wargame: European Escalation?

Also add me to the OP
Steam: premium_wintergreen
XBL: Akashat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

i guess id rather just shoot people in the face so dont really have patience for it

its down to me(america) vs japan and im just nuking them and bombing them a lot because im a child

Its pretty fun to just nuke the gently caress out of the AI for no reason.

vains
May 26, 2004

GD_American posted:

The best thing about the trading mechanic in GalCiv II- you can see exactly where the tipping point is on a deal. Their canned response is in red when it's gonna be a no, then turns to green as you add things if it would be a yes. So you can finetune your offer before you actually present it, and see exactly what a go/no go offer will be.

Simple, but Civ for some reason can never loving grasp that.

That's essentially how trading works in Civ 4 or 5. You put up what you want to trade or what you want from them, ask the computer what they'll accept, and either accept or decline their offer.

Maybe its not as good as in this game, but trading is pretty low on my list of complaints about Civ.

vains
May 26, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

The whole diplomacy thing in Civ 5 irritated me because I could put a few units on the border which would trigger, "ARE YOU GOING TO STEAM ROLL ME?!?!" but if the AI did the same, I couldn't question them. I've also had an AI that had a defense pact with actually help me out either.

Yeah, Civ 4/5 diplomacy sucks and is needlessly opaque.

vains
May 26, 2004

OK so how big of a micro-management nightmare is Civ IV then compared to V? I Like V and all especially with the expansion pack but, like you said, the city-state thing is dumb and I don't like unstacked units. Is there a limit to how many units can be in one hex?

In Civ 4 you can have as many units as you want in a hex.

vains
May 26, 2004

Pufflekins posted:

man i can't play those games anymore, they just look too awful

Just try to remember how cool they looked in ~2000

vains
May 26, 2004

I've never played vanilla Arma II or any of the available mods except DayZ(fun while it lasted), but is there a mod that is like insurgents vs counterinsurgents? Like, one side or the other gets a 'mission'(convoy, patrol this village, attack this PB or whatever) and the other side has to set up to counter this mission(or maybe they have no knowledge of it and set up to do something else). It seems like Arma II would be perfect for this sort of thing and the idea sounds fun to me.

I think that JIEDDO had some sort of mod like this set up using a game that looked like Arma II for IED training.

vains
May 26, 2004

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

At least you could get your virtual CAR.

Yeah, that would be cool.

vains
May 26, 2004

One diagonal means cav/recon. An oval in the middle makes it armored cav/recon

vains
May 26, 2004

I had an 04 WRX. It was pretty cool to be able to hammer it down an on ramp and hit 80 before you left the acceleration lane. The second you put an exhaust on it, prepare to have every boner with a remotely fast car try to race. I'll probably get a '13 or '14 WRX even though they look like Saturns.

vains
May 26, 2004

psydude posted:

That's not how they're actually going to look, dude. Those leaked photos are of a mechanical prototype; they haven't even revealed how the actual body is going to look.

But yeah, I'm going to buy an STI when they come out.

No, I think 2013s look similar to Saturns.

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

Not at all. Turns out video games aren't real.

Close thread. Goldmine.

vains
May 26, 2004

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8jQJ5SFqBU

God dammit, Valve uploaded this to their Youtube channel today.

I loved DoD back in the day.

Except for the times when 90% of your team were snipers and you couldn't ever take an objective.

vains
May 26, 2004

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Played 6 straight hours of DayZ. Some of you fucks need to join me at some period in the future. I have a fuckin good kit and extras

Is there a point to DayZ yet? I played last year and then quit when I got bored of hoarding gear.

vains
May 26, 2004

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Make other people mad.

That got kind of boring and it sucks when other people make you mad. Or the game fucks you over.

Just wondering because it was cool for like a month.

vains
May 26, 2004

Is the game essentially the same as it was a year ago?

vains
May 26, 2004

The only reason to play Day Z is to practice land nav and make other people have a bad time.

vains
May 26, 2004

Helldump Immunity. posted:

I didn't think it was possible.

You're only level 19. loving scrub.

vains
May 26, 2004

ghost bones posted:

I wonder how many butthurt marines there are that get mad at BF3 having a YOUR SOLDIER section and letting you Hooah other people.

Probably a lot because Marines are stupid.

vains
May 26, 2004

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Why should they be? Marines get the spotlight in everything else.

Marines are the spotlight in this game, too.

vains
May 26, 2004

Is the retail version of Papers Please worth getting? The beta was okay. What am I supposed to do with flyers I get from hookers?

vains
May 26, 2004

Kids learn how strip clubs work. Win win.

What kind of strip club lets you touch the girls? Giving kids the idea that its okay to touch a strippers tit at a club is dangerous.

vains
May 26, 2004

I couldn't even tell you of one strip club that I've been too where you couldn't touch the girls within reason if it were a private dance.

I couldn't name 1 that you could. Not that I wanted to in any of the clubs that I've been in, for one reason or another.

vains
May 26, 2004

GD_American posted:

Stackpole/Fargo/all involved?

Looks like they are. It doesn't look like Fallout 3/NV at all.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/press

vains
May 26, 2004

Is flying still impossible unless you're some sort of mouse/keyboard savant or you have a joystick?

vains
May 26, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I got some female spies that wear conservative togas and they're pretty strong, or at least their poison is :wink:

ps got sick of Sparta's weird obsession with Amish beards and kicked their poo poo in

pps blood pack is kinda neat

Is Rome cool or is it like every other RTS and you have to min/max everything?

vains
May 26, 2004

It's pretty cool. You gotta pay the slightest bit of attention to managing cities/provinces which means just balancing a few numbers with buildings in the allotted slots and deciding if a city/province will be geared towards economy or military poo poo. After that, it's straight up go kill poo poo with legionnaires. The learning curve to get a handle on the basics is maybe a few hours.

Is it a game designed around the multiplayer? I bought Sins of a Solar Empire because I thought it would be like Homeworld but it isn't. I don't really have the attention span to sit there while some other dork owns me at videogames for 3 hours.

vains
May 26, 2004

Cool. Well I bought it. Sucks that it cost $60 and is gonna take 4 hours to download.

It looks fun. Like Civ 5 but you actually control your dudes while they murder some barbarians instead of RNG fuckery.

vains
May 26, 2004

When is the cheapest time to buy new components for my gayming rig?

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

Those fuckers. That's how they're going to get people to upgrade from 7.

Is 8.1 the lovely tablet version or is it like old windows?

Edit: Because the lovely tablet version is terrible.

vains
May 26, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Don't buy Rebirth until probably six months from now at least. It needs more time in the oven.

Who in the gently caress is Uroboros1985 on Origin? Would it kill you to have at least something similar to your forums name?

ninja edit: The new XCOM expansion is loving amazing, spend 30 dollars on that poo poo post haste.

Probably Uroboros

vains
May 26, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=735

Is this the game? lol at the last 3 pages of that thread, at least. Probably the whole thing but I'm not reading 736 pages.

vains
May 26, 2004

GD_American posted:

I thought that was a Star Control sequel or something and supported it in theory but then I saw that it's just Space Asperger's so lol at everyone pissing their money away

What kind of soda is that

Mountain Breeze

vains
May 26, 2004

Fallom posted:

This world sucks because i wish fat gross/funny dudes who chain smoke could live to be 80 like everyone else, instead they all die at like 43

Truly evidence that there is no God. A fat nerd that plays video games and lives in filth will probably die in the next decade or two, if he isn't already.

vains
May 26, 2004

Do not read the Games thread regarding the new Fallout game.

Its pretty funny. They were debating the merits of the Legion vs NCR and discussing the social structure of Legion controlled land when I read it yesterday.

vains
May 26, 2004

ghost bones posted:

goons whining about the racial ramifications of stat bonuses in skyrim and why the stormcloaks were literally worse than hitler was a cool thing to read

Games is the best forum to read. Bring back the "Minorities in Games" thread.

vains
May 26, 2004

8lbsofanalsex posted:

I fully support this, that thread was some of the best entertainment I've had on these forums.

This is problematic, to say the least.

vains
May 26, 2004

Its extremely weird that people derive pleasure form watching other people play video games on streams or youtube videos. Its even weirder that people 'donate' money to them. Can someone explain this? I know there has to be someone in here that enjoys "Lets Play!".

vains
May 26, 2004

ghost bones posted:

i think a lot of it comes from being too poor to actually afford the games in the first place

Oh. That's depressing but not the case for most goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

ghost bones posted:

otherwise i'd guess the same autistic drive that pushes people to spend hundreds of dollars on a space game that doesn't even exist.

goons are dumb weirdos and like dumb weird things

• Locked thread