Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
SpaceChem is on sale for $2.99, down from $5.99. Appshopper says it has only ever gone on sale once before around a year ago so if you were waiting for it like I was, don't hesitate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
Has anyone played West Legends yet? Its a Battleheart-style game with a Journey to the West theme that just came out, $2.99 with absolutely no IAP. The developer seems pretty staunch in his anti-IAP stance, in the TA thread he mentioned having a fallout with their publisher because he wouldn't budge and include any.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178909&highlight=west+legends

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
Oh man, Kingdom Rush: Frontiers rules. I know levels have interactive stuff but I thought it was limited to simple interactions like clicking an animal until it explodes or whatever. However, I just beat Temple of Saqra and there is a correct sequence to the three tiles on the right side of the cave where the mobs spawn. When you get it right it opens a hole for the Indiana Jones dude to jump down and when he runs away from the boulder it crushes all of the eggs, getting rid of the parasyte spawn point. I thought it was a really cool touch and I'm really hoping to find more like it throughout the game.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

heiden posted:

Some thoughts on Kingdom Rush Frontiers: It's not as good as the first one in many ways unfortunately.

- pretty much every tower and every ability they have is crappier and less fun/useful than in the first one.
- unexpected/surprising ways for enemies to approach are too common & plentiful, ultimately (cheaply) designed to have to be replayed
- enemy abilities are really unfun, especially invisibility and teleport which you can do almost nothing about (other than expensive totems) and will frequently cause you lose lives thinking "well, couldn't have done much :shobon:"
- stage design allows for even less freedom for placement
- you get hosed even moreso if you don't choose the right combination of towers than previously / forced into compensating with crystal-bought items (partly because there's less ways to deal with air in this one but stronger air waves)
- game doesn't store your current progress for very long so oftentimes when you take a break you'll have to restart the stage
- you have to micro-manage your heroes/manageable units a lot more to target tiny spell-casters/summoners which is a bit fickly for a game on an iphone screen

Still worth the money but not as addicting, fun or well-balanced as the first one, not sure what happened.

To each his own but several of these complaints I'm actually enjoying. It's been a while since I played the original but I remember there being several towers I never used where in Frontiers I feel every tower (save maybe the archmage tower) has its place. I really enjoy the trade-off between the two artillery towers (the mobility and versatility of the mech vs. the pure damage and area of attack for the DWAARP), the fact that both melee towers can tank (evading vs. soaking) and the free meat you get from the necromancer that you have the ability to enhance if you want. However, after reading your list it did occur to me that it would be nice if one of the melee towers had a ranged attack like the barbarians did (throwing daggers for the assassins would be the most logical choice) and I wish I cared about more of the upgrades on most of the towers (waste disposal, barrage, pestilence, almost all of the melee upgrades).

I haven't had much of a problem with alternate approaches and I think they offer a greater challenge than static spawn points. Same goes for enemy movement abilities, though I think the enhanced heroes help alleviate both of those problems for me because they're pretty powerful and can often kill things that slip past by themselves or with the help of a level 1 melee tower or reinforcements to slow stuff down. I won't argue with the feeling that I have less freedom for placement though it hasn't really felt like a hindrance on any of the levels I've beaten so far. Also can't speak to your last two complains since I'm playing the game on my iPad and haven't had any problems coming back to levels after long amounts of time.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

runchild posted:

Kingdom Rush Frontiers chat - Sandwarriors are awesome (almost anything that gives you extra blocking units is awesome) but they actually make it really hard to level Alric. At least, I'm pretty sure Alric isn't getting any experience from them, and he sends them way down the path so nothing gets to him. If you move him up he just sends them farther forward. I think I'm gonna have to not equip that skill if I wanna level him.

Also, does anyone know if having multiple instances of Falconer stacks the range bonus? Or does it just give you the critical chance at that point?

I'm fairly certain the range bonus doesn't stack. I know when you go to buy it on a second crossbow tower (next to one with maxed falconer) the circle that it shows for the tower's new range is smaller than the current range, if that makes sense. I have no clue about the crit bonus but I'd guess no.

HolaMundo posted:

Frontiers is KR2.
Originally it was going to be an expansion but we kept putting so much new stuff into it that it turned into a new game.

Love your game, just beat the final stage last night. Put the IAP heroes on sale so I can give you guys more money (already bought Sha'tar, he's cool as hell).

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Bummey posted:

Protoss guy owns bones but is really fragile.

Yeah. He's the only one I've bought so far and he's awesome. I play guerrilla warfare with him and just place him strategically to summon the drone and mother ship, only using him in melee occasionally when I need to buy time or take out weak guys that slip past early. His skills are extremely powerful though and it's not super difficult to get him to remove specific things with the mother ship.

I wish there were preview videos for all of the IAP heroes, YouTube has videos for specific heroes but they only did the ones that are included and it's not hard to see how they play since they're free.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

heiden posted:

Ranged air-attack upgrade for summoned dudes = best upgrade :)

Missles for mechs is the best tower upgrade. The second point doubles the effectiveness, range be damned (those fuckers go anywhere), hit air targets and the recharge can't be longer than 10 seconds or so. Add in the fact that the mechs themselves have incredible attack speed and it's a no-brainer. I loved the DWAARP tower and moving on was hard but now it's all mechs, all the time for me!

Cloudchaos fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 10, 2013

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
The KR:F update is out and all of the old heroes are on sale for $2 off. I bought Nivus and Grawl because I absolutely love the game and the update seems pretty substantial. Sadly neither of them are nearly as awesome as Sha'Tra.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I hope there's an easter egg where your trains appear upside down with screaming passengers.

I hope there is a Back to the Future 2-style train that can take off and fly around and deliver passengers and cargo like a plane.

So very excited for new NimbleBit.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Project1 posted:

Anyone playing the superhero Puzzle Quest game? So far I'm finding that the IAPs are not necessary as long as I don't mind grinding a bit for the battle rewards (still in Chapter 1). But I have a question about the purchasable heroes. Would I be right in thinking I wouldn't be able to develop them for free like I have been able to for Storm/Iron Man? I'd have to keep buying covers with the crystals or coins for them if I want to gain their powers?

What is this game called? I haven't heard anything about it and I've been on a Marvel kick lately and loved the first PQ (couldn't get into the second one for some reason).

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

A few new things popped up that look pretty interesting.

Bravura Quest which looks like Nimble Quest from the side.

This is going to drive me nuts but that art looks identical to another game that came out about a year ago. I thought the characters looked familiar but the 4th screenshot in iTunes really did it for me. I went through all of my old apps to see if I could find the one I was looking for and couldn't but I remember being excited for it and it being grindy and not very fun so maybe wait for it to go free if anyone was thinking about picking it up.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Perhaps Battleloot Adventure?
http://appshopper.com/games/battleloot-adventure

EDIT: And this is why:
https://www.facebook.com/DigitalTalesGaming

Same company, different app publisher. Which is good, that means they're not ripping off the art style.

That's the one. I haven't played the new version but it looks pretty close to the old one. I remember enjoying it but it got extremely grindy pretty early on.

Nice find.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

online posted:

What are the thoughts on Kingdom Rush Frontiers?

I absolutely loved it. The IAP heroes are fun but not super necessary, if you buy one the protoss dude is the best in my opinion. The RPG-lite hero leveling really appealed to me, they get noticeably more powerful as they level up. Also, there are little touches like a simple puzzle within one level that destroys an approach lane and most maps have lanes that open as you play through, making the maps feel pretty dynamic. I particularly enjoyed the first time you run up against facehuggers. I really liked the majority of the final tower evolutions, I felt like I used a larger variety than I did in the first KR. The necromancer and battle-mech in particular were really fun. I bought the iPhone version on my iPad on accident and immediately bought the iPad version and while I did get a refund for being a dummy, I wouldn't have felt cheated paying twice what the game costs. It is really good.

Fake edit: The initial last map is absolutely infuriating.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
MPQ tip: If you force close the app when it tries to make you spend your hero points and then reopen it you can buy the 150 point covers instead of being stuck on the 50 point cover page. You can also do this the second time it tries to make you buy one of those bullshit heroes and you can even buy the 500 ISO cover if you don't have 150 points the second time.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

It just hit the appstore http://appshopper.com/games/dd-arena-of-war
It's not too bad. Everyone is upset because rather than the usual D&D spergfair it's more like that game Squids which I don't mind because that game was fun. Oh, also, Mobage so it's f2p and energy and IAP and blah blah blah.
You know, the usual stuff. Fun game, ruined by being F2P.

Calling it a fun game ruined by being F2P is a stretch. I'm sure at some point the game would have been ruined by IAP but I doubt anyone that has tried it has made it that far. The game is terrible at explaining everything what little the only system in the game, skills. I liked both Squids and Dojo Danger but the "combat" mechanic here is awful (though maybe a step up from typical Mobage where there is no mechanic other than press buttan). Rooms are maybe 10x as wide and 5x as tall as your character and when you pull back to "attack" you get an arrow showing you where you're going to go, making it impossible to miss enemies. There is no gear to collect, no character advancement and the skills you get to equip are super bland. Pretty sure the classes are identical as I chose the Dragonborn Sorcerer and the goal was to run into guys; I can't imagine a melee character playing any differently.

I'm pretty easy when it comes to iOS gaming, have absolutely no D&D sperg in me and have even been known to throw a couple of bucks at F2P games in the past but this game had absolutely zero redeeming qualities and isn't even worth a speculative download. Worst game of the year material.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

IrregularOreos posted:

Anyone play Junk Jack X?

I've played the original, and absolutely adored it. Just wondering if anyone can convince me to spend twice as much on the sequel. Anyone have any opinions?

Alternatively, does anyone have other suggestions for another game with long term goals/projects?

I never played the first Junk Jack (I played a bit of Blockheads but no Minecraft or Terraria) but I bought JJX when it launched and absolutely love it. Just unlocked the 5th biome and now I'm working on building my masterpiece fortress v2.0 on the surface of a lava planet. I'm not very creative but I've had a great time building in JJX, something about it resonates with the same part of my brain that loves Legos. I can try and answer questions if you pick it up and have any.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Sad lions posted:

If it helps, I think they specifically show up in lit caves (that you can see from your extended map easily enough).

They show up in lit caves sometimes but not exclusively. Someone on some random JJX forums said that 15 portal pieces spawn per biome but I'm not sure I believe it, the most I've found is 6. As for finding them it's really just a matter of exploring. If you can farm birds and craft the air essence trinket you don't have to worry about fall damage and it makes exploring much, much faster.

Gems are pretty common in underground cave systems, less so in solid areas. Also, I wasn't aware that you can encrust gems into your armor for a long time. Here are the possible effects:

quote:

Ruby: Immune to lava damage.
Emerald: Immune to acid damage.
Topaz: Breathe underwater.
Sapphire: Glow in the dark.
Amythest: Small attack increase.
Diamond: Small defense increase.

Sapphires don't stack for increased light radius so I'm rolling with ruby/emerald/topaz/sapphire, those plus playing on peaceful makes for extremely easy exploration. Once you have a cut gem just hold it in your inventory and it'll ask which item you want to encrust.

Cloudchaos fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 4, 2013

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

IrregularOreos posted:

Thanks for the advice on JJX, picked it up and am having a blast.

I somehow came across a Seth portal piece within the first hour of exploring. Can't even remember picking it up, just found it in my inventory when I went to dump all my stuff in my storage chests.

Right now locked chests are bugged and you can break them with a hammer instead of requiring a key. Go nuts!

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
Just took a flier on a game that popped up on TA's new games list called Starborn Anarkist. It's a dual stick shooter/bullet hell with RPG progression where you can design your own ship as you unlock and find or buy parts. You get a main gun (homing missiles, machine gun or laser) that upgrades as you collect power-ups firing either more missiles or adding more streams of bullets or laser beams. Additionally you can upgrade your shields and engines through power-ups as well. All power-ups have a color (green, blue or red). For weapons this is straightforward but slightly less so for engine and shield power-ups. It was a little confusing at first and I'd recommend checking out the how-to-play section but the gist of it is in easy mode, any green power-up will give you more missiles as well as boosting the engine and shield that are considered green (explained in the how-to-play). There is also a pro mode where you can collect green missiles, red engines and blue shields if you want to build a ship that accelerates super fast, has a rapid recharge shield and shoots missiles.

You unlock parts as you defeat bosses which then drop or can be purchased for credits. They sell credits as IAP but the achievements seem to give out a shitload of them. Additionally, you can collect them in-game where they repair your ship if you're damaged or get banked to buy parts if you're not. You unlock different blueprints through achievements and there seem to be a lot of them. I don't have my iPad sitting in front of me but I believe the ship creation area is a 7x7 grid and different blueprints allow you to use different parts of the grid with the final one allowing you to build pretty much whatever you want.

Well worth the $1.99 I spent but I would caution that the power-ups are small on a full-sized iPad screen so I can't speak to how it plays on an iPhone. I hope some of you try it and enjoy it as much as I have already (and I've only scratched the surface).

http://appshopper.com/games/starborn-anarkist

Finally, sorry to hear about your dad Eli. Condolences to you and your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

The Royal Scrub posted:

Anyone else purchase WH40k: Carnage? I guess you need friends for the multiplayer missions that reward better currency.

I just grabbed it this morning. Don't have my iPad sitting in front of me, does it go off of GC friends or do I need a friend code or something?

Vv: My throwaway/gaming FB account is ruckusr6@gmail.com if you guys want to add me.

Cloudchaos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 11, 2014

• Locked thread