Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Cricinfo Tweet :

quote:

Michael Clarke confirms that he will move up the order in the third Test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The 4th test is in Delhi where India hasn't lost in 25 years. As someone said, Mohali (3rd test) is the best bet to salvage anything out of this tour.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Sehwag dropped for 3rd and 4th test. He was dropped from ODIs earlier. Don't really see him making a comeback after this. He's been woefully out of form for 2 years. Call him what you will, but there aren't too many people around who can score 300 in a day

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Cricinfo front page http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/current/story/623876.html

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
This particular instance was a non-event really considering it slipped out of his hand, and was the first ball of the innings. But this law/spirit of the game is abused by every team in ODIs/T20s. Non-strikers are halfway down the wicket before the ball leaves the bowlers hand in the last over of a T20. And when a team does run a batsman out (Ashwin ran out some SL batsman in an ODI recently), the umpires are all confused, and ask the captain to reconsider the appeal (Sehwag was captain and withdrew the appeal after being asked by the umpires).

The spirit of the game bullshit needs to end honestly. Taking the fielder's word, batsmen expected to walk etc

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I find Dhoni's "its cool bro, I'll stay till the last ball...I got this" attitude insufferable. He's hailed as the best limited overs finisher, but everyone conveniently seems to forget the instances where he comes in at RRR 6.0, scores 10 off 30 and gets out and the team loses. They just remember the times he hits a last ball 6 or hits a flurry of boundaries after leaving it to the end.
You can't plan around being there till the last ball and starting dreadfully slow based on that plan. You get a good ball, or a bad decision and suddenly you leave your team with a much higher RRR than when you came in.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2013/content/current/story/625891.html

This story seems kinda weird. Even if Cowan did complain about dropping standards, what's the point of telling media about it. When watson and co come back to the side, I can't imagine this will make anything smoother. Getting detention because of a strict teacher is one thing. Getting it because of the teacher's pet telling on you is another!

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The video for that ridiculous photo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr25TQ36g5k

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Loved Kohli's innings today 93*(47). Dhoni would have taken the game to the last over, while Kohli just went manic after Steyn bowled out. Reminded me of this match against Sri Lanka in CB series last year

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

PTizzle posted:

(Hat trick stuff...)

I kind of miss the days of leg spinners destroying the tail. Warne, Mushtaq and Kumble did that a lot.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Jesus, this is the most surreal innings I've seen.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Whats the minimum number of overs needed in T20 to constitute a match? It rained earlier, and might rain again

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Gayle used to bowl for WI in ODIs pretty regularly and was a pretty handy bowler. Wonder why he stopped bowling

e: 157 wickets in ODI and 72 wickets in Tests. Is it an injury/fitness thing?

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
McCullum not getting a single game so far in the IPL is pretty baffling after the form he was in.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

He can only suck BCCI cock out of one side of his mouth now.

When harsha bhogle stops doing it

defending BCCI's handling of the Tim May-Sivaramakrishnan vote

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Scylo posted:

Spot-fixing in the IPL? I am absolutely shocked

While domestic T20 tournaments are prime candidates for spot fixing, I thought the Pakistan trio's highly publicized trials and jail-time would deter players, at least for a few years.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Can't quite figure out what Sri Lanka is up to with 39 in 17 overs when there's strong chance of rain. If it rains for a few hours after 20 overs, they're screwed

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Cricinfo posted:

Imagine how demoralising it must be for Australia to know that even if they break this stand they will then have Ian Bell walking to the crease
Never thought I'd see this statement written unironically.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I used to be the biggest fan of Tendulkar till the 2011 world cup win. In particular his revival during 2008-2011 phase where he batted much more aggressively was a treat. But after that, bit by bit, he's been destroying all his legacy. 100th "international hundred" was an unparalleled media circus. Now 200th test...jesus who gives a poo poo. Please put a 41 year old man out of his misery

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

goatface posted:

So is an Indian politician going to commit honourable suicide so that Sachin can get a seat in the house?

He's already a member of parliament.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Mancubus posted:

The est part about Tendulkar retiring is Dravid essentially saying he should have done it a long time ago. http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/video_audio/678683.html

I liked his answer to the last question when asked what would Sachin do after retirement. Basically "maybe he'll do his loving job as member of parliament"

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm quite enjoying watching these 350+ run changes tbh. These pitches would be a disgrace in Tests. In T20/ODIs, I enjoy high run chases more than 200-250s where the middle overs are dreadful.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Last 5 ovs 100/2 RR 20.00

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

quote:

This is the 6th ODI to see more than 700 runs. 3 of those 6 have been during this series

This says something. Pitches haven't really been that much different from what we usually get for ODIs. It's a combination of new rules, some ridiculous power hitting which players have developed in T20s (most of these guys played in Champions League), and trash bowling.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Given how poo poo WI are, I don't think India will bat twice. This could be Sachin's last innings.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
These 6 years is basically the reason people rate him the best in this era. This was when Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain, Warne, McGrath, Murali, Donald, Pollock, Walsh, Ambrose were all playing at their prime. Look at the daylight between him and Lara/Ponting/Dravid/Kallis (all played a similar amount of matches). Ponting and Dravid primed when the great bowlers started retiring. Lara was always inconsistent...he started with a couple of years of brilliance, and ended that way.

Tendulkar just played way too long. People tend to remember brilliance more than longevity, so his inevitable decline soured everyone. People who started watching cricket in the 2000s unsurprisingly rate Dravid, Ponting etc higher.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
An actual doosra is impossible with a straight arm. Upto 15 degrees bend is legal now, but every bowler I've seen who used it always looked like 30 degrees. Of course these days idiot commentators have started calling the topspinner as doosra which can be bowled legit.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Was a very difficult pitch to bat on in the 1st innings. Dew in the 2nd innings made batting easier and bowling harder. I just love watching Kohli bat (in ODIs). I'm really looking forward to the 2015 world cup with this indian batting lineup with the oldies gone. Especially if we get games like this

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Now that everyone knows about his stress thing, I think Trott's career is over. He'll be welcomed back by taunts and people calling him coward wherever he goes.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
It's certainly part of the game but nobody should be calling it a noble tradition or anything. It's more akin to pushing and shoving in football. Everyone does it and nobody bats an eyelid. Sometimes it escalates and people are punished. Sometimes nothing happens and players are drama queens. Same with sledging. Media focusses on it too much.

edit : This applies only to the on-field stuff though. People like Shane Warne who rile things up off-field for publicity are garbage.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

A little bit of juice in the wicket and we'll see how good the likes of Kohli and Sharma really are.

They're playing in South Africa starting tomorrow, so we'll know before then I guess! Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman all had wretched couple of years , so this new batting lineup can't do much worse.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
South African team is wearing bright pink outfits for breast cancer awareness thing and they look absolutely ridiculous.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

MacDougall posted:

I don't even know how he got selected for the Australian ODI team in the first place. He's just bog average at batting. There are about 20 batsmen I'd pick over him in the test side.

The number of batsmen these days who get test caps based on limited overs performance even though they have a poo poo first class record is just baffling. If they're good, let them avg 60 over a season in domestic to prove themselves. India have been doing this too, and to nobody's surprise Pujara has looked the most accomplished test batsman even though Dhawan, Kohli, Rohit and the rest get most of the praise.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Burn Down Canberra posted:

If anyone can catch the replay of the swann dismissal Bowden gave him out before Smith took the catch.

Ian Chappell caught that on commentary and said it was terrible. Would have been hilarious if he had dropped it.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Every time I have seen Imran Tahir bowl, he's bowled long hops and full tosses. Not sure why SA keep picking him.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Really enjoyed that game. Should have been a 3 match series at least. loving BCCI

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Can't believe Morkel recovered in time to play this Test. Would be interesting if he broke down in the 1st session.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Kohli in the current team is so like Tendulkar in the 90s.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
People keep blaming the Indian batsmen for losses away from home, but they've done quite well, both in South Africa and here. It's the poo poo seamers who keep losing matches. At home India win because they can actually take wickets with their spinners.
People like Aaron are picked because he can bowl at 140+ as if that's an achievement in itself. There have been many theories why India can't produce really fast bowlers. Unlike batting or spin its not much of an acquired skill, rather about the constitution and strength. With all their millions the BCCI can surely develop a program to just follow whatever training and diet the Pakistani bowlers are following and see how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
India losing due to bad decisions is always the perfect scenario. Stop being babies about drs god drat.

• Locked thread