Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I hate it when a perfectly healthy king age 51 dies of a natural death while attempting to murder my non heir sons during gravel kind.

Does anyone know how health traits work? Do they only help with illness and wounds or can it actually extend your life before old age claims you? I never see a character go above 100 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I love how the War exhaustion for the rebels is 653 while he gained none.

Drone posted:

All this Victoria 2 talk makes me want to boot it up, but I'm not going to invest a massive amount of time into the game only to have the next expansion drop really soon and make me start over. Any idea when V2: Heart of Darkness is being released besides sometime this month/next month?

I've really wanted to pick up a Latin American republic (besides Brazil) and make it a great power, something I've never actually been able to do. The last time I tried with Argentina it took me until like 1900 to get to Secondary Power status and after that I just scrapped it.

I heard HOD was aimed for a March release but got delayed not long after, i reckon a April release is very likely.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 13, 2013

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Janissary Hop posted:

Oh my god finally. Fighting the UK in V2 has to be the most painful experience in any Paradox game.

Never fight a land war in British India. :ohdear:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Fuligin posted:

I just picked up Vic2+AHD as well. That said, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Are there any recommended tutorials or LPs to help me get a handle on what I'm doing? And is "New Nations" a suitable mod for a beginner?

This may sound like a joke but Haiti is a very fine choice for beginners.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm pretty sure that there were only about 60k men on the Isles, that one Scottish stack and some levies. Ireland was dug in for a fair while when they moved on them after retaking Glasgow. Ireland is loving them up with APD dig-in. Once that stack's down Ireland is going to be stomping all over the north. By the new year I'll have an army landed in Cornwall, then I'll roll up England and Wales until my boys can trade their Pashto rum for Irish whiskey. I'll see Ireland ruling over the Isles yet.

Nothing brings me joy in V2 then seeing UK get smacked around.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

They were never the same after I wrecked their poo poo in India. I honestly don't know what the gently caress is going on with their navy. They still have like 90 ships out there somewhere, but I'll be hosed if I know where they are. If they can get them together then they can probably wreck the allied fleet (we have something like 200 ships put together, but only maybe 100 of them are near England and they're probably pretty old). Hopefully Wiz's AI changes to HoD are carried over to the navy, because they're not even trying.

It's actually America that came out of loving nowhere and is giving me a run for top GP. They actually lost GP status after they lost to the Confederacy and Mexico, and the UK wrecked their armies in three different wars over Washington State. Then I guess that industry tech paid off, because they took the coast of British Columbia, reclaimed the South, and became Workshop of the World. They dislodged me from #1 for a while and my nation is loving all of Central Asia and like half of India.
Yeah the Naval AI in Vic 2 is pretty much the worst in any paradox game. Nice to near the Americans making a awesome come back though. I wish my games were as intense as this.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

:wtc:

What mods are you running, NEVER seen a rebellion that big even in 1.02 days. You should try stomping that stack with some gas attacks ( if you have it researched).

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I love it when i am playing Poland on CK II then all of a sudden there is black Orthodox Russians ruling some parts of Russia.
What...? Is the AI really capable of asking for marriages in far off lands?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Elukka posted:

Holy crap the stream chat is a gigantic cesspool of idiotic and absurd nationalism and racism. I know that's the stereotype of the Paradox forums but drat.

While no one will deny the paradox forums has insane amount of nationalism i have never seen Racism on the forums?
And i never see clean stream chats anyway.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

James The 1st posted:

So apparently, MM still has a pulse.

The site's been alive for a while but this is the first time i seen this world demo.

No one at Paradox has confirmed if it's alive though.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Noooooooooo. :smith:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

So uhh.... the "world stage" demo has 4 playable countries
Venice, Bremen, Morroco and Scotland. Any ideas how long the demo lasts?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

How can this possibly be legal?

I don't trust this to not be malware.

Well i thought the same but i scanned it and it seems clean.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

My eyes are burning with the bright as hell map and complex as gently caress gameplay.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

I get many error filled brigade events and keep getting spammed with useless poo poo, everything seems over complex and the sprites are basically chest sets.
Then i crash.

What is this pile of poo poo?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

MM's budget was the size of CK II's at some point right? What the absolute gently caress did they spend the money on? It still has mostly EU 3 sounds and the map looks like something from 1999.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Rejected Fate posted:

Man, I cannot get Victoria 2 to work for me. I've re-installed it twice and verified the game cache four times over, yet I always get the same error of file exception: virtualfilesystem.cpp, line: 624 . System cannot find the file specified.

Make sure to delete the folder in the Steam, it doesn't get rid of everything when you uninstall.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Is USA a good choice for beginners in Darkest Hour? Germany usually leads to my death at the hands of the French.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Gort posted:

Depends. The US is fine if you just want to survive the game, but you'll learn a lot more playing Germany.

Why are you losing to France? What goes wrong?

I guess its my Army, i mostly build Infantry and early tank divisions. I shift a decent part of my industry to the Luftwaffe as well during the peace years. Maybe i was too slow? I'll try again soon.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Gort posted:

Are you building enough HQs? You want to have one HQ per 3 provinces of front-line you have. (Your troops in the area with the HQ as well as any in neighbouring provinces get the HQ bonus)

Germany gets more out of HQs than any other country, last I looked.

I did a German AAR in this thread on the official forums, maybe that'll give you some pointers. Scroll down.

Thanks, seems like a good guide i'll give it a shot.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Gort posted:

Are you building enough HQs? You want to have one HQ per 3 provinces of front-line you have. (Your troops in the area with the HQ as well as any in neighbouring provinces get the HQ bonus)

Germany gets more out of HQs than any other country, last I looked.

I did a German AAR in this thread on the official forums, maybe that'll give you some pointers. Scroll down.

The guide helped me by quite a bit, I got further into France and managed to beat them. However i suffered far more losses then the allies and I was too slow in conquering France, it took me until early 1941.
Also Italy never offered to join me.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

:wtc:

HoD has made small nations more suicidal, i just saw the papal states attempt to humiliate Austria on its own, Belgium trying to cut Prussia down to size.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The real Dead Souls starts here.

Dead Souls was also a famous book at the time in Russia, apparently critics found the book hard to understand so its a pretty clever cross reference.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

WMain00 posted:

Could anyone recommend a good starter nation for Vic 2? One that I can learn the ropes with.

Sweden if you have HOD, they are now probably the best newbie country to play. Otherwise i'll say Brazil or USA.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I know this question comes up from time to time, but what are some fun starts in HoD? I'm finding that late game Japan doesn't have much to do, I'm too isolated to start a real world war and whenever I get involved in a crisis I never see any action. :sigh:

If you want world wars nothing beats Prussia > Germany. Enjoy conquering the rest of Europe or die trying.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Scrree posted:

Prague ended up being the largest city in Continental Europe with around 1.8 million people, and Vienna the most industrialized with 30% craftsmen. Poland became a great power during the 1860-90s before the eastern tigers of China/Japan rose up but we remained fast friends and kicked the poo poo out of Germany so much that it turned Fascist and still lost land to Denmark (I had nothing to do with that haha.)

In retrospect I should have released the Czech Republic awhile back and focused on finally taking over Wuttenberg/Baden for maximum South German state but it was a fun game!
Is that the Dutch in southern France?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Holy gently caress the Game of Thrones mod is addicting. Too bad Robert pretty much wiped out the entire Stark family for no loving reason right away though. :(

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Noreaus posted:

Is it me or are Great Wars a little underwhelming? I like how they tend to graduate from crises, but since it's just a Cut Down To Size CB really (and one with a really low warscore requirement) - It doesn't even include the initial crisis requirement, so the end of the war doesn't have the world-changing dismantling that the First World War had at its end. I at least expected a nation to be forced to dismantle its colonial empire if it lost.

Then again, this may be the NNM reacting weirdly with HoD, since I don't see anybody else making that complaint. Could somebody who is playing vanilla weigh in on this?

Also, am I the only person experiencing the "rebel soldiers not joining a rebellion" bug? I've seen that in vanilla too. I'm sure I'm not hallucinating these :ohdear:

There is a Great War mod that greatly increases it. I believe at the end of the war the losers have to give up all colonies, release some countries and dismantle their army. No idea if its being ported to HoD though.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Littlefinger posted:

So, how does MotE multiplayer shape up? How long does a campaign take? How does it compare to other Paradox GCs? Could it be used as a middle ground to bring together a bunch of HoI2 and EU3 vets to a common game, or is it a different beast entirely?

I really wouldn't call it a grand campaign, its extremely short even on 3 arrows you'll find yourself finishing the game in a few hours.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Will we ever get a great Grand Strategy cold war game? :smith:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

They have quite a bit of time to add polish though. Hopefully they can fix it up a bit.

I hope.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Are they loving serious with this we are the world idea?

So, it has a ugly, lovely UI. A pre TFH HoI III combat system. And this.

All i ask is, how moddable will it be?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Why did you guys think they would announce a big title out of the blue? They usually do code names and let us guess for about a week.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Baloogan posted:

So what is in EU4? Why should I buy it?

If you liked EU III, from what i can tell everything is pretty much vastly improved. Plus they put some effort into online and Asia!

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

So, does this mean Stalin, JFK, Reagan, and the like will be replaced by fans of the game.

At least MM tried.

Edit: Okay, maybe not but still, it will obviously have some really stupid poo poo in it.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 28, 2013

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Want to know what the very worst thing about East vs West is?
Paradox will probably not try cold war again for a while now, as this game will fill that spot. :smith:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

wikipe tama posted:

Just finished which will probably be my last, and most fun, EU3 game.

It always makes me sad to see the Byz outlive the Ottoman empire.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Bit let down that a tier 3 nation gets flavour events before the others. But i can see why they would do it, with the amount of byz fans on the forums.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Kersch posted:

I had fun with my most recent Victoria 2 game, playing Japan:

You took bits of west Africa but not China?! :stare:

BillBear fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Kersch posted:

I focused on breaking up and putting parts of China into my sphere earlier in the game. Whenever one would break from my sphere or something, the others would declare unification wars on it. Eventually an event fired that reunified the entire country and it shot into great power status. I had already sunk 40+ infamy into China and didn't have anything left to show for it, and I didn't feel like starting over. Granted, I started to ignore infamy near the end, but ehhh.

Ah, that sucks dude.

I like the Japanese California though, when ever I tried taking it off them I usually got my rear end handed to me very quickly, even during the ACW.

• Locked thread