Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Why don't you guys like Gangnam Style?

I liked it. At first.

Now there's U+ style, condition style, and just x style everywhere. Psy ran it into the ground hard. I don't blame him though, he must be disgustingly rich by now.

VVV Our House Style :cool: VVV

The Bible fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whizbang posted:

All the cell phone shops got that new Girls Generation song to run into the ground instead.

Whatever, I'll take it. God bless those girls for ending the rebirth of the loving Macarena.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Kpop and Dokdo bitching on page 2. That was fast.

I've got one more day left in Thailand and I've loved my time here, but (Controversial Opinion!) man Korea is such a vastly superior country. Prettier mountains, better food, better transportation, etc. I'll be glad to be back.

Yeah, I'm with you. I love it here. Any complaints I have are just petty bitching. I do respect that I've had a better run of luck, though, and I can see how someone could easily learn to hate it here.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whizbang posted:

We save all of the disease-ridden dick talk for Kakao so we can share pictures too.

What in the hell happened in Kakao anyway? I mean, I know what happened, but why? And why does BrainDance still post here if he hates you guys so much?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

nullscan posted:

Goddamnit why don't you guys have good stories like this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529309 ? I wish I could get assigned to Taiwan :(

Well, I'll try. Sometimes when I ramble on about computers or science, my wife gets bored and doesn't listen. There aren't any STD's, but sometimes she is too tired for sex.

Sever?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Like I said, I've had a coworker with diabetes in Korea. I would just bring it up and talk about how easy it is to live with to assuage their worries.

Just don't mention it and don't use the needles in front of anyone.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I want to wrap all my gifts in suicide paper now.

I made a suit out of it and no one noticed.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

I once left my Kindle in a random bar in Ansan. My friends managed to pick it up 3 days later. I think if the place is reputable you'll be okay. It would help if you called the bar as soon as possible. I mean, while you may not remember it's location, perhaps someone in your clique does?

Dantheman, free weights are tricky in Korea. As of 2012 there's only 2 gyms that have them. One gym is located in Lotte World, the other is at some park in Daegu. Koreans view free weights as a novelty and aren't likely to ever use them.

Every gym I've been to here has a full set of free weights. Only 2 is kind of a ridiculous claim.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

tirinal posted:

That job sounds like a lot of work.

Maybe, but 110k for taking anal? You get a quarter of that at best working public school for effectively the same thing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Classy dames.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Even amoung the sex tourists they are known as the worst. Cheap, abusive and no fun. I dont know how you get a worse reputation than wrinkly old europeans or mustache weilding pedos, but by god did Korea get number one position as most hated.

They get abused and poo poo on by bosses, so on vacation, they are the boss, and are happy to abuse and poo poo on someone else for a change.

That's my guess, anyway. It's a power thing. They have no power back home, so they take it where they can get it.

plashy posted:

"I want to thank you for not forcing more alcohol on me than I can handle and then groping me in a hotel."

There's really, really no need to thank me for that.

I got a similar comment from my wife when we started dating. She was surprised that any time she told me she wasn't in the mood for sex, I didn't whine and immediately stopped trying.

Women have such a poo poo lot here. :( I think I'll pick up some flowers for her on my way home today.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 29, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Whenever political discussions happen I encourage my friends to rise up against men and the bosses. :jihad:

Seriously. I know we're supposed to leave Korea to the Koreans, but gently caress it, I'm a lifer and I spend 99% of my time in the company of Koreans. Like hell I'll just sit back and accept that kind of bullshit.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cameron posted:

Korean people are very scared of pigeons. It's pretty funny.

I've never seen them pay pigeons any mind at all. They just seem to ignore them like everybody else.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Watch at a bus stop if a pigeon starts walking toward the people. It's hilarious.

I was a hero at my school for a solid week because a sparrow got in and was scaring everyone, I caught him with my jacket and brought him outside. The whitest knight.

A huge hornet got in my classroom once and came right for me. I whacked it out of the air with a stick sending it crashing into the very center of the table with about 10 girls gathered around it. I never did get control of that class back.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh yeah, I've done battle with a few of the giant Asian hornets in class. For some reason my heroics there only last a day but the sparrow was a bigger deal. Even though the hornet is literally deadly. :iiam:

I always use poison though, I'm impressed you baseballed it.

It was a panicked swing and a lucky shot.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

This thread seems determined to pick up right where it left off.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

joedevola posted:

ESL Korea: Canadian Language Institute doesn't pay so I trashed thier apartment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB8v2SM80hA

:lol:

Where to begin with this champion of passive aggression?

"They just fired me because they don't like me...

...I haven't paid my bills in six months."

You failed at Korea, where life comes with training wheels. Throwing a literally infantile fit is a perfect way to cap that failure.

Watch his other videos, his gradual descent into madness is glorious to watch.

Yes, you don't have any friends because everyone else sucks. Amazing.

edit

I just noticed these videos are over a year old, has everyone seen this already? It should really be added to the OP as an example of how not to act.

Of course he has an animal.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

^^^ Oops, sorry man. ^^^

imnotinsane posted:

Must be some crazy long pubes if you need to blow dry them. Do they comb them as well?

It's when they sit in a line braiding each others long luxurious pubes that it gets a little awkward.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

The greatest moment I ever had connecting with Koreans happened in an E-Mart bathroom in Mokpo.

I was getting Sunday Hangover McDonalds, and desperately needed to poo poo. So I went over to the shitter, and upon entry I'm hit by a horrendous smell. Worse than your average Korean bathroom. More akin to the Cairo train station.

At the sink there is a adjushi, with no pants on. There is a brown smear on his rear end, and he is scubbing at a pair of pants in the sink. It appears he poo poo himself.

There is a Korean guy about my age(27) assisting, with rubber gloves separating him from the sojushit. Our eyes meet, and in that glance there is an understanding between us. I have been in his place, cleaning poo poo-smeared walls before. A simple nod between us transmits that kinship.

Then I crapped in the clean stall and finished my Quarter pounder.

Since we were talking about bathrooms an poo poo, y'know.

It was pretty damned awesome of that younger guy to help the poor old guy out like that. :unsmith:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Everyone post something that loving blew your mind when you first came here, that might be vaguely useful at least.

1. Coffee joints are clearly meant to be open from 11 AM to midnight. What's caffeine?

2. Asia is the home of good tea, right? Not this Asia. Sorry bub.

ATM machines are turned off at night. Why the gently caress do they do that?

You can pay your bills at ATM machines. Why the gently caress don't we do that in America?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Kids are shockingly honest here. That's good and bad. It's like the vast majority haven't even discovered how to lie or steal.

No, they can steal. I can't even remember all the times someone got into a classroom during lunch and picked all the locks on the lockers and stole poo poo.

They just really suck at getting away with it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

So I know a few of you are somewhat active in the China thread, and I wanted to run something by you guys.

A friend of mine (this isn't one of those situations where I'm actually the friend, this really is a guy I know), is leaving Korea to take what basically is the perfect job in China. For the past 2 months, he has been singing the praises of this wonderful manager he met on the internet. The guy is apparently setting up some huge multinational school chain and he's looking for executive managers to get in on the ground floor, and apparently white BS holders teaching English in Asia fit the bill for this.

He keeps texting me pictures his new manager sent him of his 40th floor executive apartment overlooking Beijing that costs 100 bucks a month somehow and can't stop talking about how this manager is also looking for musicians for a school band as well (he is actually a pretty damned good musician) and just all sorts of poo poo that just sounds way too good to be true, and every time he calls me, the deal just got a little sweeter.

So I'm just curious, what are the odds he has actually found a manager starting a multinational school chain in China who is blind-hiring foreigners for executive level positions who don't speak Chinese, have any business experience, and don't have at least graduate degrees? Is it likely he found a good deal, or am I going to get a message in a month asking for a kidney? He's leaving in two weeks, and if I'm going to call bullshit here, I need to do it soon.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

He sent the fee, and I believe he already has a visa in hand. I could be wrong about that though, I'll ask next time we speak. Not sure what type of visa it is.

He trusts the guy so much because he has talked to him on the phone fairly often, and is convinced a scammer wouldn't go to that kind of effort. The guy is also on facebook apparently, so that seals the deal, I guess.

My friend isn't an idiot, but he is very naive and believes that most people are trustworthy and kind, and while there are people that will gently caress you over, they are few and far between.

Edit: Found this video on his facebook page. This is the manager guy.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDEzNDcyMDky.html?f=17290813

Looking through the rest of the info, I don't know how he is buying any of this. I found some blog or something, but nothing definitively linking this guy to upper management of a school. There is this,

http://www.greenhilledu.org/

But that's hardly proof of anything other than the ability to set up a webpage. Looks like just another language school, though.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 13, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I loved China but it is the land of scams and fakes and loving you over. But that's almost always Chinese people, a westerner exploiting other westerners... obviously it could easily happen but it's not something I hear about. I was absolutely sure it was a scam until I saw the guy in charge is apparently American.

Maybe he assimilated well enough to turn into a Chinese boss. :v: I dunno. Wariness is a good idea in Korea, I'd be doubly so in China. From all I've ever heard or read Chinese bosses gently caress people over in ways Korean bosses can only dream of.

I guess I'll find out in a week. I do hope it is legit for his sake, but I just don't see some guy being randomly picked for an executive position, particularly a worldwide one. You normally need things like business experience and an MBA or connections for something like that. They don't post it on daves.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 13, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

The end of the video has a picture of 'Patricia Chen (CEO)'. And she is quite the looker! Also, she is probably the owner of the Greenhill Zone. I'd imagine Dr J is the manager then? Here it lists her the Executive Producer. Honestly, it seems like it's her thing and he's head teacher or manager.

edit: Based on my internet, this is still 100x more legit than the life coach guy from last year.

The school is probably legit, but I think they are overstating what his job is going to be. He's supposed to get a year of Chinese fluency training before starting his global management duties that he is completely unqualified to do, so I guess time will tell.

And oh my, Ms. Chen is quite the looker.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whew, good. I thought we were about to start using this thread to discuss living and working in Korea again.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So I'm gonna be in the area of the Busan rock festival this year and I was wondering if anyone knew what it was like? I've looked up a couple of bands from the event's website and they seem mostly geared toward the hardcore/hard rock crowd. Are the other bands that I can't really find immediate information also from this vein?

Holy poo poo man, what's up with that custom title?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Brimmy posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I'm not clicking that. I knew I shouldn't have asked.

If you really want to know, Matthew N. Wright himself is back and in the Bitcoin thread under the name Dog Soup.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Whizbang posted:

Yellow dust/pollution blows down from China this time of year.

And I want to die.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BrainDance posted:

This has been a giant mistake and I should have listened to you guys.

Looks like I chose a good time to start reading the thread again.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sounds like I missed a lot. Braindance, you are my favorite foreigner ever.

Seriously though, if you don't intend to marry her, it's just going to be that much worse if you wait.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

What's this about foreigner DnD groups now?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Man, have you seen that dude's post history? He talks about dinosaurs ALL the time.

I loving love dinosaurs, what can I say?

How does that anchor even get dressed in the morning? Seriously, they "confirmed" those were the names? Really? I guess "confirmed" in the News means "assumed" to everyone else.

Actually, yeah, I guess that does explain a lot.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 13, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

This 1000%. Never tell anyone at work anything and never ask if you're allowed to do stuff, just do it.

Bingo. If you ask, and there isn't a clear rule that everyone knows regarding it, then they'll say "no" just to cover their asses in case it actually isn't allowed. Sometimes they'll say "no" even if there is a clear rule allowing it, because who the gently caress knows, some people are just assholes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

Is this how your camps go? Because this is such a poo poo show.

Mine was at a horse ranch in Gangweon-do where I taught the kids how to make water rockets and little solar powered robots.

Being a science teacher rocks. :coolbert:

BrainDance posted:

I would hope those white dudes arent dating/married to those Korean women just because they're Korean. I'm still dating that girl so, it's not like I'm not in this situation (shes who this conversation was with.)

I asked here because a lot of the people here seem to be very aware of things like this, it's the difference between this thread and the Korean drama and kpop thread.

I dated and married a Korean because strangely, the vast majority of the women here seem to be Korean for some reason.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 3, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

THE LUMMOX posted:

Goondolances to people that married Koreans and built meaningful lives here, you didn't QUITE achieve enough.

I don't know how I go from day to day with my literally genius level students in tiny classes, boss who treats me with respect and bends over backward to make use of my talents at work, and awesome in-laws who treat me like their own child.

I could be back in America struggling to find work. :smith:

Wow, I expected far more vitriol and woman-hating in the comments.

Also, I was out at 3PM and after a brief rain, this horrible wave of intense humidity just descended on me. It was like Houston, just god drat.

I was halfway expecting some Day After Tomorrow poo poo like having Global Warming chase me down the street.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 5, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Onion Knight posted:

oh poo poo I totally missed the previous savory news item
M-R-A til I D-I-E

/dies

Ugh, regardless of nationality, MRA guys are just the loving worst. Glad to see that most Koreans seem to hate them just as much as we do in the west.

Then again, this is the internet:

quote:

Seong Jae-ki’s method was wrong but women should stop playing the victim and the Ministry of Women should be abolished. Hundreds of groups for women vs. one group for men. Does that make sense? Discrimination against me is bad but discrimination against others is good discrimination?

Male chauvinism is disgusting garbage.
But chivalry or Lady First is a nice idea.
Even if a man just looks in the eye of a woman, she can be sexually harassed.
But women can touch men’s arms and stomach like nothing.
If a man enters a women’s washroom, he is a pervert.
But if a woman enters a men’s washroom, she might have made a mistake.
Nosy in-laws from the husband’s side are a vice.
But it is a good tradition for the husband to buy a house to live with his wife.
It’s awful to let a woman’s mother-in-law know the security code to her home.
But she lets her mom know it without telling her husband.
If a man hits a woman, he is trash.
But if a woman hits a man, the man might be trash who deserves it.
Women can become military officers. They aren’t physically weak.
But how can women be conscripted? They are physically weak.
There is nothing special about men doing their military duty. What bonus points?
But women suffer a lot from period pain. They need menstrual leave.
Low employment rate of women is all because of men.
But women tend not to want to get in the science or engineering field.
It is bad discrimination to ask female employees for coffee.
But it is rational discrimination to ask male employees to do overtime or night shifts.
Why do men get promoted faster than women?
But you want a woman to carry that heavy water bottle?
White-only was trashy discrimination against black people.
But women-only is completely rational discrimination.
An Older man’s compliment to a cute kid is bad sexual harassment.
But an older woman’s compliment to a cute kid, even a remark about his penis, is good sexual harassment.
It hurts a woman’s pride when they have to pay alongside men.
But it is good manners for men to pay for women.
Women can fail. It’s understandable.
But men should always succeed. Otherwise, they are worthless.
When a woman cries, they ask her who made her cry.
But when a man cries, they scold him for being pathetic.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 5, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010

THE LUMMOX posted:

Why aren't you in the Kakao group chat? We have many high quality discussions about this issue and others.

I don't know. How do I get in?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BrainDance posted:

No one is going to believe a single loving thing I say if I actually wrote up an update to all this poo poo so here's a picture that speaks for itself. http://i.imgur.com/525ZT8D.jpg

I guess he's abusive but somehow doesnt notice/care if she disappears for a week and a half at a time but I don't give a gently caress. I did not know about any of this poo poo before and I am getting the gently caress out of this situation.

DIVE DIVE DIVE DIVE DIVE!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BrainDance posted:

I'm not talking to any of my irl friends about this one, because even I don't feel like telling people I know "hey guys, guess what? Turns out I'm a home wrecker now."

Probably a wise move. Also, don't let the husband find out. You can sue for infidelity here, and he can go after both you and her.

It's not very common, but a foreigner up on those charges against a Korean man isn't going to fare very well.

• Locked thread