Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone succeeded in getting into Red Hen yet? My husband and I live two blocks away from it and it's been a nightmare trying to get a table. At this point we're so frustrated with the wait that we'll eat there or die trying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

Apparently they hold tables for people in the neighborhood - you could try popping in ~5ish the evening you want to go and asking for a table and they should sms/phone you when the table is ready. I was going to do this last week but we ended up going somewhere else.

Where in the neighborhood are you? We live at 1st and V. It's amazing the change in Bloomingdale over the past few years compared to when the only place to get food was China Dragon or whatever it's called.

No kidding! We've seen a lot of stuff just since we made the offer on our house in January. We're on T street, just across North Cap.

I'll have to give that a try. Every time we've come close to doing that, we've just gone to Bacio instead, because I <3 Bacio and its (Turkish, I think?) owners.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Walked posted:

Cafe Mozart is down that way and awesome.
Taylor Gourmet isnt too far up 14th; but its not super close either (It's around T St, so about 7 blocks)

Not sure if youre looking for lunches or dinners, so I'll stop there. :)

Not much - I've tested out the Thai places with my husband for lunch, and while they aren't terrible, they're nothing to write home about. At least at Franklin Square you get a ton of food trucks...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Veritek83 posted:

Facia Luna is pretty solid.

On the topic of NE DC spots- I just moved into Eckington and tried Rustik with the housemates a week ago. Ok pizza, rest of the menu seemed like it's got potential. I'm also looking forward to checking out Boundary Stone and Red Hen.

What's up neighborhood goon... what's that, 3 of us now?

Rustik's pizza is okay, but I was super not impressed with their brunch. Boundary Stone's brunch is much better.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

All three of those places are quite firmly in NW, thank you very much.

Keep an eye out for the forthcoming neighborhood games between Bloomingdale and Eckington, they should be fun.

[edit - that first statement should have a geography version of the :eng101: to convey the levity of my answer, without it, it just looks mean spirited]

Neighborhood games?

I finally ate at Red Hen last weekend - oh my. Very good. Saturdays they have a special at the bar for an entree, a drink, and an appetizer that is very reasonable.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Biosludge posted:

Slightly off topic, but I'd love to hear everyone's favorite ethnic grocery stores in the area. I'm in Arlington, but can make the trip for something worthwhile. I'm familiar with H Mart, Glebe Market, and a couple others, but I'm looking for places with good bulk spices and great produce. The absolute insanity that is trader joes or wegmans on a weekend around here makes me cringe ...

I got a lot of dried goods and Indian spices at Ginger & Spice in Alexandria. There's a Lebanese place in Bailey's Crossroads (named Athena or something, it's got Greek Orthodox owners) that has good frozen and fresh stuff like cheeses and dough.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh, and I finally went to Red Hen in Bloomingdale. Love at first nom.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

That's not anything anyone would have said when we moved here a few years ago. Amazing how much has changed recently.

No kidding, right? I made it to Thai Xing last week. Holy hell was it good.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

notmandatory posted:

Thanks for the input. I have booked Rasika. Red Hen sounds great, but the menu they have posted online has just one starter and one side that might be vegan. I think we might go to Oyamel or Jaleo the other night (both because they have more veggie options than most, and because I love small plates). Still mulling it over, though. Busboys and Poets looks like a good lunch spot.

Any good ideas for a place where we could walk in on the later end Thursday night, preferably convenient to 295/50? We will be coming from BWI and don't want to book anything since flights can be unpredictable. This is before we meet up with the vegans, so meat heavy menus are fine. It looks like Red Hen is in the perfect location for this, is it possible to walk in and sit at the bar later on a weeknight?

I prefer Oyamel to Jaleo, and I also have a soft spot for Zaytinya. (Jose Andres, I love you.) But yeah, Rasika is hands-down the best out of all of them.

You can definitely get a seat at the bar at Red Hen on a weeknight. Only half the tables in the restaurant are open to reservations; the other half are for walk-ins, and the bar is always open for walk-ins. It's a little misleading to look at the reservations and think oh, no seats till 10, guess I'll go to Boundary Stone.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So what are your favorite pizza places in DC? I know Menomale is a classier place (Brookland), but I'm awfully partial to my neighborhood join, Bacio's (Bloomingdale).

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Unrelated, but I also have a surplus of Appalachian dulcimers, if any of y'all has been meaning to take up folk music. So if you need a cheap dulcimer, of free pig/lemon, PM me or email to my username at yahoo.

Offer's not still good, is it?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So I ate at Thip Khao in Columbia Heights last week - it was amazing. It's Laotian food by the woman who runs Golden Bangkok out in the burbs. Definitely worth a visit, but you have to call between 12-4 on a weekday to get an English speaker to make a reservation. :what:

The food's meant to be served family style, so you do better taking a lot of people. The best thing we had was laab (Lao take on larb, the minced meat salad you may know from Thai places) and the crispy rice. The eggplant curry and kaing som sour soup were excellent too. Every person gets a little container of sticky rice, and the menu has instructions on how to eat your meal with your hands + rice balls. There's also a "from the jungle" menu that includes things like pig's ear, intestines, blood sausage, and weird fish, but since we were there with my in-laws we couldn't be too adventurous. Everything was actually spicy as requested, not spicy for white people. We did medium spice on everything - not sure we could have handled much more.

I'm definitely looking forward to going back - service was friendly and very quick.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CronoGamer posted:

Thanks for this! I've seen it mentioned a few times and been really curious to try it out. Will have to make sure we go with a group then. Were prices about what you'd expect?

Prices were reasonable for size + quality. IIRC tax may included in the menu prices, which if true makes it even better.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wachepti posted:

Any restaurant weeks horror stories or good experiences?

I was at District Commons on Wednesday and saw Joe & Hadassa Lieberman partaking. So I suppose that's a horror story.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

internet jerk posted:

Any stop and price really. Within walking from the stop would be awesome but could always cab it a bit. Lyon Hall is great, could definitely do there. I was checking out Red Hen but it's sort of a hike and they already there's no way I'm getting a reservation for a Saturday night.

Founding Farmers is good, near Foggy Bottom. You've also got everything on Barrack's Row - I like Ambar and Tash, Belga Cafe is good too.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

Conceivably, you could get to Red Hen when it opens and put your name down for a table, then go have a drink at Rustik or Boundary Stone or El Camino or Costa Brava (jesus I remember this neighborhood when you couldn't do any of that) until the table was ready. But the metro is a long walk in this weather.

In Capitol Hill there's also Beucharts.

80 and G8 bus lines drop off within a block of Red Hen though, so those are easier.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Veritek83 posted:

Meats & Foods is fantastic. Like 4 blocks from my firm's office so whenever I come to town for work, it's one of the first places I get lunch(also Sundevich).

Great addition to the neighborhood. DCity Smokehouse at 8 Florida NW is amazing as well - one of the few local places for which I will recommend its BBQ.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wroughtirony posted:

Do they still not take reservations and make you wait for hours outside for a table? Because.

Yeah that's a thing.

I love Bluejacket at the Arsenal - the beer brewery/restaurant owned by Neighborhood Restaurant Group (Churchkey, etc). The food is good, the beers are excellent, and the venue, an old mortars factory, is super cool. Just don't go on a home game for the Nats!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Hubs and I ate at Crane & Turtle earlier this week, and I have to agree with my chef friend who recommended it - most interesting food in DC right now. Everything about it was unexpected and good, and the service was top-notch.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Update: Crane & Turtle (one of the most interesting places in town I think) is doing a cool hotpot deal during the winter. You sit outside, but blankets and heaters are provided.

Also I took the Hubs to Komi for his birthday last month and holy shitsnacks it's gooooood. Great wine list, excellent service.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CherryCola posted:

Blankets and heaters? lolwhy? It's friggin spring weather out.

Touche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend and I have been eating a lot of Ethiopian lately (he's gluten free vegetarian, so their menus he has a lot to choose from, since some restaurants have slim pickings for him)

Can't remember if I've recc'd before, but Zenebech on Florida and T NW is fantastic. No frills, prices are insanely low, and I just love the place. Go there while you can... supposed to get condo'd in the next six months.

• Locked thread