Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
pip pip, smell me immaculate butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh yes, ritual twin murder. We needed another reminder of how hosed Unsounded's world is.

Ritual twin sacrifice. :colbert:

also we'll get to that in a bit but they only sacrifice one of the twins, the other's skull doesn't join the matched set until she passes away after a hopefully long and distinguished service to the church and/or state

DrSnakeLaser posted:

So are Iori and Lori twins? They certainly look similar.

doubt it, I get the impression that iori was a respected member of the community at least until the flying accident and refusing to get shanked for religous reasons makes you a social pariah (and she'd be the one refusin', her sister probably wouldn't be running this place if she was supposed to be the disposable one and sposed instead)

we've actually seen a twin sacrifice before in a flashback at some point but it wasn't explained, but now we're in a chapter set in a Gefendur twin-shrine

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 27, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Oh wow, the twins overheard that. I figured Matty whispered it to Jivi.

That reaction is pretty disturbing, really. I wonder if this is part of why Siya seems rather despondent and such, knowing what awaits her. I imagine that sort of thing would affect you quite a bit.

I need to reread this sometime. I missed and/or forgot a lot I think. Maybe check out the side material too, since there's so much only explained there.

It's not mandatory because the comic really does a pretty good job of covering important relevant things in a timely fashion, but the author's put so much thought and effort into the world, and is a good enough writer as well as artist, that it's fun to browse her impromptu tomes of wisdom.

Speaking of:

quote:

Efheby don’t really share a single social standard because they are not a social species. Rather they are fiercely territorial, each one staking out a claim on a piece of the continent and fighting off trespassers with little mercy. They hoard space, wealth, and humans from each other, and have only become increasingly neurotic and unfriendly towards their own kind as the centuries have ground on and their numbers have dwindled.

Of course they weren’t always like this. In the First World they prized each others’ company, making love and exchanging experiences through their “wet bite.” Then humans showed up and changed the game. Efheby were drawn to them, became infatuated and obsessed with them, and began shunning their own kind in favour of human experiences. Humans were like a drug; a curse from the gods and also a gift.

Ruckmearkha disgusts those few efheby remaining because Ruckmearkha seems to fall legitimately and romantically in love with humans, and has in the past worked with them to steal from and even kill his own kind. Ruckmearkha is a junkie, and a shameless traitor to his species.

even other mind-drinking snakepeople think he's a creepy horrible weirdo :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ashley says the next page or two is going to involve a villainous monologue from Evil Abraham Lincoln, and I for one cannot wait.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

There's a lot of great things going on here, this is a Really Good Page

How d'ye negotiate with someone doesn't know how to buy a fuckin' sandwich.

Also Ruck's whiskey glass in his tiny facehands.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:siren: Out-of-comic word of god spoilers on future revelations about a chapter-relevant character :siren:

My earlier assessment of Lori vs Iori regarding whether they were twins wasn't necessarily just slammed, because Glass has been sneaky in the past, but... well

"Anonymous asked: Glass! What happens to the priest/priestess twin if the sacrificial twin, say, boogies off with a handsome Black Tongue?

She becomes very, very, very bitter v__v And susceptible to feelings of failure and self-hatred. Which make her vulnerable to others’ manipulation."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I am fairly interested in seeing more Queenie. This first page is a good start.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ruck's back and has a scene with Sonorie :neckbeard:

this is going to be amazing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

ruck's shaping up to be a solid villain, he brings murkoph's creep factor without trying so hard about it

it is fine

Portrayal note: We don't actually have to delve into extratextual commentary to presume that his voice is pretty deep, he explicitly disheartened Evil Sharteshanian Lawyer in part for having a squeaky voice and warned noted dweeb Darkest Paul against same.

personally I hear him as something in the general area of a Mass Effect Turian as voiced by an excitable James Earl Jones

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Thank you, Maha Sonorie. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tollymain posted:

isnt the brain-drinking basically his species way of making out

or at least was up until they found out humans were incredibly delicious

Yep, and Ruck (as per last page! "...oh well." for some reason I find that line creepier than anything he said in Juste) in particular gets romantically attached to the people he bites.

too bad his self control is quite bad, although long term exposure to efheby venom might not be healthy for the ol' brainmeats even if the snake is nice enough to not actually eat your memories after tasting them

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:haw:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Anybody catch the fact that the Queen referred to it as "our" plan, in terms of her and Roger?

Also Ruck says she and Roger woke him up.

It's certainly sounding like he volunteered for a creepy, slow, but presumably not particularly painful demise, to... overthrow the Aldish caste system?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tollymain posted:

hes not desintegrating physically but honestly that seems like itd be a preferable alternative

Not to worry. It'll be over soon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

And back to Sette showing her respect for Tirna in the best way she knows how.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

he's totally rocking that outfit

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

This is perfect casting and I'm frankly embarrassed I didn't see it coming.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Also, the implication from that scene with Minnow is that Sette might be some sort of senet creature, right?

senet beasts are at least AWARE of her through their wacky senses, which is loving bizarre

(this may involve some blogknowledge)

senet beasts, like minnow, are outside of the khert, and not super-great at interpreting the khert - basically they consider the khert to be a Human Thingybob

which isn't to say they CAN'T interpret the khert, Ash has mentioned that Ruckmearkha can both see and do horrible things to Timofey

but i bet my second-favorite pair of underpants that Ruck would be super jazzed to glimpse Sette Frummagem

also Sette can sniff khert-stuff better than any known entity - which is also interesting in the "senet beasts have trouble interacting with the khert" sense

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

There are a bunch of theories on the subject of what Sette is. I think my favourite at the minute is that she's Tirna. Her eating from Tirna's offerings and taking her place in the play is suggestive if you're already suspicious (she's also wearing Tirna's colours, I've just noticed).

she's always been a huge Tirna fangirl

maybe as she suggests it's just a Sharteshane thing

they're a bunch of pirate-descended rear end in a top hat but nevertheless Gefendur

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

my own favorite theory about Sette's origins is that she's an entirely unremarkable* khert glitch

* - unremarkable in origins terms, she's clearly stoopendous

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

that actually went better than expected

good job, sette

i don't think anybody got dead, although the Crescian soldier who got chucked by the head (and his skin tone is odd, maybe they recruit from Ulestry and other satellites or he's descended from immigrants?) is probably going to have neck problems

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

blond guard is alive

siya and sister own

it's going to be a great scene when siya gets killed and eaten, presumably by Queen Sonorie at the big Morstorben shindig

also I kind of like Lori, too bad she's probably definitely involved in crimes against humanity relatively benign senet beasts

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 5, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

It's kinda neat to see Sette get some of her own medicine after so long of being a little poo poo but Ashley did a good job in basically showing that you can still go too far.

Jivi's really acting like he's in his element and asskissing Cresce's culture when in reality he's a complete coward who has ran from every responsibility he has ever owed it. Ran from his mom (after being a boatswain on a pirate ship for however long which is illegal), ran from his uncle's place, shacked up with a Black Tongue which if he was as good of a Crescian as he puffs himself up to be would be out of the question, and is traveling with an Ald-majority party which is basically heresy. Even if it's the smartest thing to do (he'd be dead otherwise) he's a piss-poor representative of his country's values even with his outbursts of heroism.

he did rescue the plats from Starfish though, that buys him some goodwill from me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

He didn't really have a lot of say in being a boatswain because his mom is the captain. It's not like he chose to be a pirate; he was literally born to it, and he's only 14, so expecting a kid to bail at like, age 10 is a little much. We don't know what happened with his uncle, and he didn't run away from his uncle to shack up with the black tongues - he was traveling alone after leaving his uncle's and got abducted by the Red Berry Boys to be a slave. He escaped (getting the poo poo kicked out of him in the process), got Uaid, rescued Quigley and Matty, and ended up at Rahm's because Timofey showed up and explicitly invited them when they had nowhere else to go. He was only at Rahm's for maybe a day or two before the silver eel/Crescian attack on Ethelmik happened and he ended up fleeing with Duane et al.

Like, he's definitely being a jerk to Sette in this scene but I wouldn't call him a coward or a hypocrite. He also tells Quigley that he's known good Alds, and just thinks their government is evil, not the Aldish people (and in this story, it's pretty clear all governments actually are evil). Compared to Duane, Jivi's nationalism is pretty sane.

oh come on, name one crime against humanity the king of sharteshane has committed

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

so some of my theories about Delicieu* have been torpedoed and my new leading one, which i'm pretty sure is close to correct, is horrifying in new and exciting ways

the procedure being described works, eventually and/or with bonus mutilation, and Prakhuta and/or Bastion ices Delicieu and Prakhuta is either permanently infused with pain-ghosts, driven nutso, or both

it's a differently-horrible bent on a Frankenstein story, and I like it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FAT BATMAN posted:

But these two are here, and not ripped apart, and sane??

well

two outta three ain't bad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Noooo, Stockyard is back

I hate Stockyard so much

well, for certain values of 'back'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Everything is fine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Knock for best character dialogue so far

Knock's pretty cool. I mean, murder was part of her previous job responsibilities, but at least she was annoyed at Starfish for making Matty sad and increasing his odds of coming back when he was grown up and killing her in revenge.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Glagha posted:

Please don't kill Knock, she's my favorite character in this comic and I didn't realize it until she came back and started using some real colorful language.

I actually quite like Ana too, but then, there are a ton of characters I really enjoy, up to and including the mind-eating apex predator snakeman.

Unsounded owns.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out that piloting a painmobile that wants suffering isn't the best deal ever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I mean, he's technically a dependent on a father who is A-ok with human trafficking, murder and the surgical implanting of pain powered superweapons into child slaves for the purposes of smuggling it across borders. He's either going to have to ditch his evil dad who will be dying of a terminal case of being a plat or be stuck caring for white hair hitler.

not if Quigs dies in an ironically heroic fashion first

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FreeKillB posted:

I think the bad guys include (but are not limited to) Cresce, Alderode, Sharteshane, General Bell's conspiracy, whoever the analogue of Bell is on the Aldish side, the Black Tongues, Delicieu/Cutter/Giant Silver Monster, and probably also Lady Ilganyag.

not gonna lie, I have some real concerns that Lady I is the ultimate villain of the story

some convoluted scheme to escape the khert or something

Also the King of Sharteshane is not particularly villainous. :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

"He kills people" being how Quigley is always described to people is one of my favorite minor running jokes.

Also, the King of Sharteshane is pretty much the embodiment of idle, decadent wealth while most of his country languishes in poverty. He seems to not be the real power there, but he still sucks, even if he's probably pleasant to deal with (if you can get his attention) and non-malicious and whatnot.

interesting note, has Quigley only actually whacked one person onscreen, or am I misremembering?

to be fair, that particular murder was especially monstrous

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

FreeKillB posted:

Others are correct about the corrupt decadence stuff, but when I say 'Sharteshane' is a villain, I'm mainly referring to Beadman, since he's the real power in Sharteshane.

It's possible I was being deliberately disingenuous.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Given the degree of government control in Cresce, I wouldn't be surprised to learn they have a very robust merit-based job assignment system - by which I mean, it's your own fault you're stuck digging ditches; you didn't have the aptitude for anything else.

But yeah, there's definitely some form of state-sponsored artistry.

Cresce offers every man purpose. :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I was about to come quote that, but I wondered if it was one of us.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

poo poo I like cresce now??

Cresce is, notionally, a pretty good place to live.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tollymain posted:

usually the town isnt purged by fire, they just make you move somewhere else more useful

were it not for the whole lizard genocide thing, cresce would be undoubtedly the best faction in this setting

sadly communists commit war crimes too

I've got some good news, lizards aren't people. They don't even have souls! This has been empirically determined!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

DrSnakeLaser posted:

With the Gefendur twin sacrifice, I always assumed the surviving twin had to cannibalize the other but is it the queen instead?

If that's the case then maybe Bell tasting blood is also a power play.

quote:

Bell really likes licking up his comrades blood, huh? Is that any kind of symbolic thing or old tradition, or is Bell just weird?

It’s an ancient and long defunct Gefendur ritual that Bell read about as a boy and embraced. He feels he can give these sacrifices meaning if they contribute to and live on through his success. He tastes their blood to make them a part of himself and to assume the burden of living on in their stead.

It’s sort of a nice gesture? And yet also horrifying and weird? Just send their parents some flowers.