Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
So aside from picking up a Lamy Petrol (which looks and feels great) I also finally got that Al-Star I ordered a month ago. So far it's looking nice and the bold nib really lays down the ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Can I request some examples of awesome calligraphy? My grandfather, who tried to get me into calligraphy as a kid and was delighted that I was getting into it as an adult, passed away yesterday and the creative interests we shared are among my favorite memories of him.

I'm sorry for your loss. I've been getting into calligraphy myself and have found it an enjoyable, if sometimes frustrating, hobby. I hope you find it rewarding though. Here's a relaxing compilation of calligraphy

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Heath posted:

Can anybody tell me about dip pens? I'm thinking of getting an oblique one made of wood and some nib sets - I found a guy with a box of old banker's dip nibs made to be extremely fine and said he would sell me a few so I'm looking into getting a nib holder. Do most nib holders carry most nibs?

I know a little. Most nibs are going to come in 2 sizes, 9mm and 3mm. There are a number of nib holders that can actually fit both, letting you use pretty much any nib you can find. Like this one. If you want more information about this jetpens has a really good FAQ on dip pens you can find Here

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Yeah I put Rouge Hematite in my ahab and the results are pretty amazing. The particles are significantly smaller than those in the diamine shimmer group which gives it a sheen more than a glitter and I believe it flows better through fountain pens as a result but that could just be me. I tried to capture a good angle on it but I clearly need more light sources. Also I may have been watching some panel shows in the background.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Platystemon posted:

Iron‐gall inks work especially well on cheap paper. It’s what I use for newspaper crosswords.

Actually, on that note does anyone have any experience with KWZ iron gall inks? Ive used Diamine's Registrar to great effect and was curious if anyone had tried other iron galls.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Ive gotta say, of all the notepads I've used I like the Midori the best. The paper is thick enough that there's no bleedthrough. No feathering that I've seen. And sold fairly cheap on amazon and prime eligible. I used one as my journal for a few months and it worked great.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Noodler's flex pen really brings out the shading in a lot of inks, I'm really impressed. I've used it with normal nibs but was disappointed in the results.
Here are a few samples on a rhodia dot pad.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Premature posted:

I just bought a pilot parallel too, are there any good resources on calligraphy? I seem to recall some have been posted before and I checked the OP but couldn't see them.

With a parallel are you talking calligraphy as in cursive writing or calligraphy like the gothic style of lettering?

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Premature posted:

I'm happy with my cursive (mostly), I'm just looking for stuff like Gothic script. Anything big and ostentatious.

This looks like a good resource for learning gothic script

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

theres a will theres moe posted:

I want to buy a fountain pen, but I want one with a thin body that is made of metal, preferably a satin finish with a uniform color (silver, please) and a sturdy pocket-clip.

The cross century line appears to be the closest I can get. Do they suck? Are they refillable with a converter?

Are there better options that meet my preference?

E: oh, yeah, I'm a lefty and I want lines as fine as are practical for writing

E2: as close as I can get to a graphgear 1000, aesthetically. A knurled grip, as seen, would be perfect, but I doubt I'll find it.

Have you considered a Lamy Logo?

It seems to have most of what you want and fits their standard cartridges and converter.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

MJP posted:

I should probably clarify: this is just standard printing that sucks. Cursive and me haven't gotten along since the last time I had to use it consistently, and that was probably 3rd grade.

Honestly it's going to take some time but there's a big difference between learning something as a kid and as an adult. When you're in school, you have to learn it, you don't have a choice. Now you're doing the same thing because you want to do it and that can make all the difference in the world. For me when I was practicing I would just write a stream of thought of whatever and if I didn't like the way a letter looked I'd take a break, practice that letter till it looked how I wanted, then go back to essentially doodling with cursive. The shape was always more important than the content when I was doing this. I also tended to look at actual examples of cursive writing when I was writing and not just the loopy practice sheets you used in school. Those teach you the shape and how to write them but they were always too round for my preference. Bulbous even. From there it's just a matter of regular practice in small chunks. Just a few minutes a day will have you writing better before you know it.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Also writing in (terrible) italics with a parallel can be a lot of fun.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

MJP posted:

Edit: disregard, I am a moron who didn't know that there was such a thing as small ink containers that Diamine sold. Still, $7 shipped from Germany is kinda nuts.

Shipping from amazon can be weird sometimes. I got a bottle a Pelikan Tanzanite and it was 4 dollars cheaper to get it shipped from Germany than it was to buy a bottle that had already been imported.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Professor Shark posted:

I wasn't sure about the size so I went to their website... 3", wayyyyy too big!

It's a shame, because that 3D bee is awesome, and as far as I can tell there aren't any seal makers who do 3D. I guess I could always get one of the Chinese custom sellers on Etsy to make the honeycomb pattern, at least. :shrug:

Honestly I'd do some trawling through etsy first just in case. There's a TON of different designs already done on there that go for much cheaper than a custom seal. I've seen a LOT of bees and a lot of other cool designs.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
I don't know but if there aren't I am 100% on board with starting round 2

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Im working on a letter to a friend, copying down a very, very angry man excommunicating a bunch of people. Its Noodler's Antietam but I'm curious how it might compare to diamine oxblood.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone try the Amazon basic notebook? Looks petty standard, though I have serious doubts about the paper.

I got one myself just to take a look. Its a lot like moleskine notebooks. It's okay when you're using a thin nib but the second you start getting a lot of ink on the paper you get feathering and bleeding.

It wouldn't make a bad gift, it has a bookmark and pocket and all that, but personally I prefer the clairefontaine or midori notebooks

edit: I also recently got a pilot penmanship and it has a staggeringly thin nib which I of course immediately used in an adult, responsible way.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
The J. Herbin shimmer inks use much smaller granules than the diamine shimmer inks. I've only gotten really satisfactory results from the diamine using a glass dip pen where there's no feed to clog because it's clogged everything else I've tried.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody do calligraphy ITT? I'm interested in trying it out, and I'm curious about a few things:

-Any highly-recommended calligraphy/brush lettering/hand lettering books? I'm mostly interested in silly blackletter, uncial, and bookhand styles rather than big flowing ones like copperplate, but I'd give anything a try.
-I've got some Pilot Parallels and I like them a lot, but what would be a good option for a pen holder? I'm kind of dazzled by the number of options when it comes to nibs and I've found some compatibility charts but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. I'd also be interested in using a holder and nibs for sketching so it'd be nice to have a variety of nibs available.
-Do fountain pen inks work fine with that style of dip pen? I always used india ink and the like back in college, but I'd much rather use some of the pretty inks I have handy due to my fountain pen addiction collection

This is a good look at nib holders and nibs (jetpens has a lot of good guides). For blackletter and the like you're looking for the italic nibs. Speedball sells sets like This if you're getting started. Honestly its all relatively cheap so I'd look around. You want a nib holder that's comfortable in your hand and most of the nibs you'll use for calligraphy will be the larger size, the smaller one tends to be for much smaller drawing nibs. Fountain pen ink can be hit or miss with dip pens. The problem you'll run into is that it'll be a bit too thin and run off your nib. If you find an ink you want to use that does this you can add some gum arabic to it to thicken it up without impacting its color. I've used some fountain pen inks that worked fine and others that ran off immediately.

Also I found this site helpful starting out but there's many resources online if you do a bit of snooping around.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Bank posted:

Anyone know any good tips/videos on how to improve calligraphy? I watched one last night and gave it a shot but still need (a lot of) practice.

It helps to figure out what kind of style you're going to work on to focus how you study. With a stub nib you should probably take a look at various italic tutorials like This one. That should get you started and from there you can start branching out into other styles

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

meat glitter posted:

also the benu boxes are good for washi tape storage and can never have too much of that right

I can quit whenever I want

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

Keetron posted:

Where do you buy that

Jetpens has a great selection of quality tape. Some of these I got from Booth but the logistics and shipping on that makes it only really workable as part of larger orders. Aside from that aliexpress, etsy and amazon all sell washi tapes. There's a LOT out there.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Goulet Pens has a similar offering of samples. You can even buy the empty bottles if you're down with that (Iroshizuku bottles look really nice). They even have big random grab bags of ink so you can get a bunch and go nuts to see if any strike your fancy
And also sell the tiny vials if you want to send samples to others.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Hell yeah, I have finally achieved skull pen

Now I need a pen case that holds like 10 pens, because all the one's Ive seen have very little between 3 and 50

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Just get a nice glass dip pen, they're neat and look pretty.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
So Im curious, Im familiar with the performance of a lot of the inks on jetpens and goulet but then I hit a site that has a huge array of inks like the aforementioned Tono and Lims or KWZ or any number of other names. Are there any I should watch out for or are they all pretty consistent in terms of quality?

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Oh poo poo are we posting our ink collections that we'll totally get around to using one of these days?

Ill totally use these up as soon as Im not working 60+ hours a week :negative:

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Anyone have any experience with Conklin pens? I was looking at this pen but noticed some of their pens had mixed reviews on jetpens and was wondering if there was something going on.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
So I decided to get a pen for christmas

I honestly thought it would be bigger but I love the way BENU pens glitter in the light.
BENU scepter btw.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

JNCO BILOBA posted:

How do you like the Benu? They caught my eye a couple times.

I have another I've written with and it works just fine. I just really like how the light catches the flakes in the resin and knowing it's going to be a little unique, for a given value of unique. Also the shape. The flared ends isn't something Ive really seen in other fountain pens. Unfortunately this also means it won't fit in some of the pen holders I have but that's okay. Also the pen holders are part of a blind box set but it looks like This Place is selling them individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
So, Im curious and not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone have any experience or opinions on the flex nib fountain pens? I see osprey and bluedew as some of the more popular brands but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this.