Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Most of the inks I have don't smear. I'd avoid regular Noodlers, though they have a few specific fast-dry inks which I'm sure would be fine.

Also a medium nib means more ink is put on the page, resulting in longer dry times. Consider going finer if you have trouble. (But generally I don't have trouble with a medium Lamy nib.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

[My old one sure never did this, with the same ink (Waterman Green)]

edit: emailed Lamy USA. Hope that I ebay'd this from Indonesia won't be an issue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 19, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SnakesRevenge posted:

Yeah, the one on the pen is the Bock nib, which they changed around the beginning of the year as those tended to be quite dry. The one on the box is a Jowo nib, that they've been issuing since.
If you plan to mess with one, definitely play with the one that came on the pen.
Oh crazy, I was wondering why there was a second one. Notes on the 700: 1. holy hell it holds a lot of ink. 2. it writes so smoothly compared to my Diamond 530. I THINK they're both M nibs. I haven't tried the Jowo one.

I've been using a Sailor Demonstrator since I lost my 2000, but I'm not crazy about the fine nib. It's been very nice and incredibly reliable however. Even after left for a few weeks writes great without any coaxing. It's always filled with Diamine Washable Blue. (To prevent staining it.)

The cap on my 530 broke, and Twsbi sent me a new one, but it was for the 540 which doesn't fit properly. I assume they just don't have 530 parts anymore since I specified that clearly.

...now to try out the Micarta!

edit: :swoon:

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 4, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Unfortunately there's a permanent spot in my phonecam lens.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sidenote, my Noodlers blue-black, which was the very first ink I ever bought, has been crappy in every pen I've ever tried it with. As in, it would take too long to dry for my left-handed writing. Fine or broad didn't make a difference. I've just used it as my "loving around" ink instead. Mysteriously I haven't smeared it once in my medium Boch-nibbed Vac 700.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You could check out the Sailor 1911. It's similar to Mont Blancs, but probably half that cost, and functions a hell of a lot better.

edit:

$250 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-1911-Large-Fountain-Black/dp/B0040QYXJ4

edit2: you might not want a music nib though

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Safari has a triangular grip which is both a curse and a blessing. It was annoying as poo poo when I first got it as I never learned to hold a pen(cil) properly (I'm left-handed). Eventually though I got used to it and it improved my technique immeasurably.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Guess what came today

How do you like it?

I have yet to have my defective replacement repaired. I've tried contacting the Canadian rep a few times to no avail, but it's been hard to muster up the energy to follow up since my Vac 700 and Micarta 2 are amazing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I love it, but it seems to dribble a bit of ink down onto the nib but its quite earnestly the best pen I've ever possessed. It's smooth, but dry. And can keep up no matter what. Initially it was a bit of a hard starter because I'm used to the Al-Start triangular grip... but have quickly overcome this. I've yet to run out of ink, though I'm very much in the habit of refilling every morning so keep that in mind.
You should take the pen back or send it in or something. It's not supposed to dribble ink down the nib. My replacement does too, and will actually collect enough to drop a giant blob onto the page.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can't say enough good things about the Vac 700. I have the smoky grey one and am pleased as hell. Never had anything so easy and fun to fill either, shame I'd only need to do it like twice a year.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

An AFFORDABLE pen shop opened in Toronto! http://www.wonderpens.ca/

$7 shipping across Canada, free for $100+ orders.

They have a pretty big variety of stuff, pricing all over. Doesn't seem to be any retail markup on the basic Twsbi 580 for example and they have dirt cheap Platinum Preppies. The Al-Stars seem a bit pricy though, compared to Safaris at least.

Lots of great stationery that's hard to find here too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's lovely. Noticed Wonder Pens was carrying Sailor ink and was considering adding it to my collection. They have a modest selection of Sailor pens, but none of the really nice higher-end stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

gently caress. My Vac700's cap just broke ... the plastic snapped above the metal ring.

I know they'll replace it, but it's annoying. It's the second time it's happened ... a Diamond 530 broke that way too. Unfortunately they sent me a 540 cap, which didn't fit. Ended up just throwing that pen out rather than pursuing it further.

Still haven't had my defective Lamy 2000 serviced. The Canadian rep ignored two emails and a phone call.

Still have my Twsbi Micarta at least which writes great.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 10, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah... the US guy was really responsive and helpful ... until he realised I was based in Canada. My original Lamy 2000 was by far the best pen I've ever used, but it fell out of my pocket.

The 540 cap just didn't seem to fit well for me at all, and it wouldn't encase the nib in the inner sheath. Meant it dried out sooner, and got messy if the pen was jostled while in my bag.

I have an Al-Star which has never let me down, but generally I leave an italic nib on it, and use it for Christmas cards heh.

edit: Twsbi already replied, but asked me to contact them in a couple of weeks because they're out of spares at the moment.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 10, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

edit: I misread the post like three times. Just ... disregard.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 14, 2014

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Magnus Praeda posted:

As long as the writing position imposed by the grip section works for you, they're a really nice pen.
I hated it at first, but I'm a 32-year old leftie who never really learned to write correctly. I think it's helped me a lot, long-term.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Both my brother's 540, and my Micarta seem to have developed blotting problems. (Also lightly tapping them results in ink falling out of them.) Should I try a fix that pushes the feed closer to the nib? I saw a boiling water one online...

I finally got a replacement cap for my Vac 700 ... wrong colour (clear vs. smoke body), but at least the pen is usable again. It's the only high-capacity working pen I have. My replacement Lamy2000 also leaks/blots. Thinking of taking it to the local dealer and offering to pay him to look at it. I bought it online (new) for less than half the local retail price.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hello again pen thread ... 15000 posts later...

Say money was no object, and you were shopping for a parting gift for a beloved executive that loves penmenship and was forced out of her company. Any crazy/pretty ideas?

I reached "my final pen" with the Lamy 2000 [not really, I still have eyes on a Realo] but I know nothing about the higher ends. $500 would be a reasonable price in this situation.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thank you, I'm glad I asked. I was browsing and found some good stuff from Sailor, but that's a great fit/look at the $800 range.

I am eying 1911Ls, a Realo as well. And perhaps the aluminum Lamy 2000, but it might be too heavy? I really love the piston filler though, but that's a "me" thing I think, judging from how uncommon they seem to be.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The EA ended up ignoring my advice and went with this one: https://laywines.com/collections/fountain-pens/products/graf-von-faber-castell-classic-sterling-silver-fountain-pen

Welp! Hope they don't lose it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My replacement 2000 ... which was $90 on ebay, had some strange leak when trying to write, and it was very frustrating. Their support wasn't particularly helpful.

I decided to give it another shot like half a year later and it was suddenly magically perfect, and has behaved great as my daily writer for eight years since.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Teach posted:

Quink is fine - a good ink. I've been using this bottle of Mont Blanc, which I found in a draw at work a few years ago. It's a great black, and dries quickly.

The bottle of this in my parents' house specifies it was made in West Germany :lol:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't write enough so I've noticed my Iroshizuku darkens/concentrates over time in my Lamy 2000. I mean essentially what happened was I finally had to fill it, and the fresh ink was so much lighter than what I'd just been using. It's not a matter of dirty/mixing; used the same ink for years.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

I did a bit of reading and there's a few reviews saying the key west narwhal breaks easily. Is the Schuykill well built? It does look pretty nice.

Other than that I just learned about the Twsbi precision looks like something I'd enjoy.

The next step up for piston fill is 200$ for the lamy 2000 and such?
For what it's worth I've loving loved my Lamy 2000 and it has been "my final pen" for years and years. The only reason I ever replaced it, I managed to lose one. If I ever get rich or a fat bonus, I'd be tempted to get a Sailor Realo.

But yeah I gave up on Twsbi after several piston caps, and while I loved the vacuum-filler, that cap broke too and I just done with the brand.

Another nice thing about Lamy is if you're not happy with your nib, different ones are relatively easy to find. Though obviously the gold Lamy 2000 ones are much pricier than their standard designs.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 4, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What's wrong with them? Seem similar to like Diamine. Noodlers are worse.

I recently bought one not thinking about it, and it's the worst bottle yet:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Never had mold, but I did have a store-brand scented ink go off. Don't know how to describe it. It didn't seem to separate, but it's like the pigment just vanished and it became a very thin watery version of brown.

I'll never finish my blue-black Noodlers lol.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

PlushCow posted:

Anyone have a brown ink they really like? Preferably a darker shade but still noticeably brown?
Using Sailors. I mostly bought it because I'd never seen/used their inks but love it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Had a bunch of cheap Lamy nibs, but the gold-nibbed 2000 was essentially "my final pen".

But I also use a medium nib so ... less-fussy. Really love the stainless steel 1.1mm calligraphy nib on my Al-Star though.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

e: wow wrong thread

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I love music/italic nibs so much and Lamys are a cheap way to acquire one.

Sheaffer, I think, used to make italic markers I remember my mom always writing with. I haven't seen them for decades though and Google is bringing nothing up.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. The brand is still around and was closely associated with ages of calligraphy kits featuring the "no-nonsense pen" (it was pretty lovely). I just meant those nice markers seem to have vanished.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

roomtwofifteen posted:

My white/rose gold medium ECO is probably my favorite pen. Like others said, writes so smoothly, never dries out or leaks regardless of what kind of ink I put in it (I have a lot of shimmers that just wreck my Lamy feeds). I have a second ECO in fine and it's great but less smooth, but the medium nib is just perfect.

I went from my first pen being a EF Pilot Metropolitan (so scratchy) to almost exclusively using mediums or higher now, just a lot more fun.
Have you ever tried a stub? I see the Eco comes with the option. Have one on my Al-Star and love it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been waiting for that elusive moment where I have extra money just burning a hole in my pocket to get a Realo. It's coming.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What's a while? But that sounds normal. People also sometimes just dip the tip into the ink, or even water to get things moving again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Look at Lamy Safari or Al-Stars, but basically the vast majority of their nibs are compatible and swappable. They make specific flat calligraphy nibs in 1.1mm/1.5mm/1.9mm sizes. I don't have any trouble with them left-handed.

Sankis posted:

If you're doing pointed letter calligraphy then there's not really any easy fountain pen option.
In theory Noodlers made some pens for this but ... they kinda suck. So agreed.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Chip McFuck posted:

Sailor ink is my go-to when I want a wet ink. Flows really well and is incredibly well behaved.
Good to know that's normal. Bought my first one at a local shop impulsively, and I hate it as a leftie.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh I should give that a try. The Sailor Kuzu actually stained the stainless steel on my 2000. Never happened before.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lol

https://x.com/dieworkwear/status/1763694038866432356?s=46

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DeusIgnis posted:

Lamy 2000s on sale on Amazon. Finally bought a fine nib. 👌🏻

Lol $225 CAD as opposed to $300.

My original one was $190 from a high end store. And I managed to lose it, fell out of my pocket in a mall. Replaced it for $90 on ebay.

But thanks for the tip. What I did order is a matching Lamy 2000 mechanical pencil for $75. Interestingly come in both 5 and 7mm variants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My dad's Saab was an 89 or 90 9000 SPG iirc.