Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Good luck on your job search, OP. This poo poo is difficult, and I know how you feel. I'm at a stage where I'm either over-qualified for smaller jobs, but under-qualified for the rest and any in-betweens are just not available right now. I can see why you don't want to move out yet, because being poor and living hand to mouth is bullshit. Just keep the job search going, spring is when many places start hiring since university students who are from out of town go home, summer camps open up if you like working with kids...all sorts of different opportunities are going to be presenting themselves within the next couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You kind of just glazed over the teaching overseas, but why not? You don't have kids, you're young, you aren't tied down...do it! You can go just about anywhere you want! See new places, learn new things! Even learning the language isn't something you -have- to do. Would it help? Definitely! A guy I work with was telling me about his brother who taught in Japan for 5 years and even now has a tenuous grasp on speaking and reading the language. Isn't there somewhere you've always wanted to travel? May as well get paid to do it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Are there NO greenhouses in your city? Right now they're hiring and an able bodied young man is sought after for lifting and stuff. Seasonal work is still work. Lot's of big chains have greenhouses. You get to enjoy summer weather, possibly get some good exercise, maybe you'll even learn something.

e: I suggest this because it's what has worked for me right now. I've been doing contract work for my city for the past three years in my field and the pay has been great, but these are jobs that have required me to be a student returning to school in the fall. So that means my bell now tolls since I graduate in August, and I know that finding a job in my field, even (or maybe even especially) with a Masters isn't going to be an easy task. I wrestled a lot with trying to find a job, I was picky because I didn't want to work somewhere if someone saw me and I would feel embarrassed. I think it's normal to feel that way but you need to be realistic. Being an English major of all things is really unemployable in the real world. I know this because just about every English grad I was in teachers college with was there because that's all their degree was good for, and English teachers are a dime a dozen. More so when their second teachable subject is history.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 2, 2013

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

You know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I actually have an aunt who used to own a greenhouse in the area and I think she's leasing it. I actually worked there for a month when I was in grade school as a kid. I remember how hard it was to breathe inside of the humidifiers. But hey, that's a really good idea. I'd love to work in a gardening area. I just gave her a call to find out if it's still in business and if whoever's leasing it is hiring. Thanks for the idea!

You were a kid, you're an adult now. Do you have severe asthma? C'mon son, not to toot my own horn but I think I've given you some solid resources in this thread. If you now as a healthy adult just simply can't breathe inside a garden centre/greenhouse, I have bad news for you. Furthermore, how about looking outside of your family? I bet there's more than one in your city, stop being so dependant on everyone around you just handing you a job, do you realize that is exactly what you're doing? You're dipping your big toe in the water everywhere and just hoping that a family member or something will just ascend from the heavens and give you a solid job- stop it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

Well of course not. I didn't mean that my work as a kid would work as a CV, I meant that I know what a greenhouse is like. Not only that but it wouldn't hurt to check if my aunt's greenhouse is at least still in business, regardless if she owns it or not. And hey, I've only used family once so far: the police department clerk position which was taken by somebody in-house. It's just that she was the first person I thought of when you said "greenhouse". Anyway, I'll look into greenhouses tomorrow.

No no, I'm addressing the part where you were talking about how hard it was to breathe in a greenhouse. You'll be fine.
Are you in good shape? How well do you present yourself? Do you iron your clothes? Have you been wearing clean, ironed clothes to interviews?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
DON'T WEAR A BLUE BUTTON UP SHIRT TO AN INTERVIEW AT HOLLISTER. Good Christ man, wear a Hollister shirt! Something that isn't too branded or a graphic tee, they have decent polos. Don't wear a button up shirt. They want more "hip", not your Sunday best.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not "dressy". It's a casual shirt like a Polo. It's the kind of thing I could wear open with a t-shirt underneath. I probably should've specified.

A casual shirt like a polo but you would wear a shirt underneath? Like a button all the way down? Do you have a plain black tee and dark wash jeans? Just a plain, clean shirt with no obvious logos? Tan slacks? I'm honestly trying to help you here because I've worked retail for five years and the only reason I'm not management is because I'm in university. Just make sure you aren't overdressing for the interview. How did looking at greenhouses go? Again, this is prime time for that kind of job and they need to find able bodied young men who can pick up bags of dirt and stuff. Girls can too of course but those kind of jobs are still in your favour.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP has made it clear he doesn't have a lot of disposable income right now. Buying a shirt that's useful for one retail interview isn't a smart use of money.

Totally understandable and I've been there. That's what places like the Salvation Army and thrift shops are for. Not all clothes that come from there are cheap and gross, as long as you give it a wash and an iron it's good.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Soooooooo how about those greenhouses/garden centers?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ugh seriously, have you checked garden centers/greenhouses?! This is peak season and they need able-bodied individuals (I'm sure they favor males) to be able to move poo poo around.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

sheri posted:

Just FYI, it is totally illegal to have "girl" be a requirement for a cashier position.

They're probably an equal opportunity employer and therefore trying to "diversify" their staff if they don't have any/many girls. That or they really don't want to hire Benny.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It's okay to have no idea what you're doing in life, E/N sees it almost every week. The issue here is you have to want to change which I'm not getting from you. Do you work out and eat healthy? I poo poo you not, drop drinking pop and eating garbage, work out 5/6 days a week as you will have so much more energy and drive to succeed.
It's really coming of that you're fine living with your family but want to complain about it while half-assing any work that slides your way- all pity jobs.
Get your act together, there's been a ton of great advice in this thread especially for you.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Just retool and steal someone else's hard work- you really are a budding writer! Jesus Christ guy, don't be so drat lazy!

ATTN: hiring managers name, their position. Call and find out the name of the person hiring, this shows initiative. If you're lucky enough to have that person on the phone, introduce yourself and let them know you're applying- show some personality.
RE: JOB POSITION GOES HERE

Explain where you saw the posting, your name and if your education was related to the job. If not, express your interest in the position.

Explain here WHY you not only think why you can lend to this position but how you can learn from it too. What personality traits make you a desirable candidate? Are you willing to adapt to new situations? Are you able to stay cool with deadlines?

Thank them for their time, let them know how to contact you, leave your name and email address and phone number. If your email is something stupid like dungeonmaster324058@hotmail.com, do yourself a favour and get a gmail for exactly this purpose. Bsnake or whatever your name is. Cover letters should never be more than a page.

For retail, I honestly have never seen a cover letter make a difference. Be honest for gods sake.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 25, 2013

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Good for you, Benny. Good luck at your new job!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Darth123123 posted:

Or "How can I stay in this min wage job longer?". I'm unclear why giving a bit more effort is a Bad Thing. Don't go and wash his car but jeez initiative is not wrong and a road to poverty imposed by The Man.

I have to be honest, I've worked retail (along with other contract jobs that are for my ~professional CV~) all through university, which I've been in for six years. For the first three years of retail I worked extremely hard, pushed my sales, I was a model employee who consistently made numbers well above company expectations. After the three year mark I started to realize that corporate did not give one poo poo about me, about my hard work, nothing, and I really did lose the motivation to really push myself. I think good advice when working retail is to show up on time, get work done, be open to the idea of taking extra shifts if needed. I really don't see the point in busting your rear end over a company that couldn't care whether you lived or died though. I completely agree with what geoj said.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Flesh Forge posted:

If you spend three years learning how to work like a slob, it takes a pretty long time to un-learn that bullshit when you do actually get a real job and you have to do valuable, difficult work instead of be a doorknob. I know, I had that problem.
Luckily I have had real jobs and can function in a "real" job. I meet many people who don't work at all during university/college and it boggles my mind because I feel it helped me a better employee and student.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I don't think you should get a second job, but make it clear you're willing to pick up shifts and work more (oh and actually follow through with it). Hell, if you're willing to tolerate and be respectful while living with your family, stay home and save up for a car. I don't know how it is in the states but buying a new car was cheaper to insure and more economical than buying a used for me. Goons are quick to harp for not doing exactly as they think is right, but you really seem to lack motivation and concentration- you won't ever truly succeed until you dedicate the self discipline and lifestyle changes required to get yourself up off the ground.
Also, don't be so bitter about family gatherings. You never know what's going to happen and ten years from now you could be thinking about how badly you wished you appreciated all that.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

It's funny that you mention the car: sitting in the library, considering my options, I actually came to the same concision. How can I fly away from the nest without getting wings and making sure they work? On top of that, I got a call and an email from a document processing company that I met at the job fair. They're based north of Pomona so I'm scheduling an interview with them the week after next: best do it after a major holiday. So my new play is to get a car first, then look into a second/better job. Juggling two jobs at the same time is considerably more difficult when you don't have a reliable means of transportation.

And besides, I have a feeling I'll be getting 30+ hours through Target come August. Why? Back to school season starts early here in So-Cal. I'm gonna show up early to work today to talk to HR about set hours, more hours, and back-to-school. They've trained me to work as a cashier so I have a feeling I'll be able to pad out my hours by jumping on the register. My goal is to move out of the house by September: my birth month. First I'll need to get a car and then get more hours.

Ugh no Benny, no. Bad. You go NOW. GO NOW. Major holiday, who cares? Do you know how lovely it looks to an employer when you hum and haw and schedule after a major holiday? Why is it better that way? Don't think that back to school season is your trump card, I'm sure there will be student employees who left for the summer coming back then as well.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Jonny 290 posted:

You don't need a loving car to move out. All you need is a job offer. March '01 I moved hours away from home and started fresh with a box of clothes, a lovely computer and $50 to my name. Today, I'm a comfortable homeowner with a wonderful wife, two hilarious cats, three hot cars and a cozy house that I've never made a late mortgage payment on. Know what happened between March 2001 and today? 12 years of 40 hours a week. Minimal days off - I am always near the cap for carried days. Flipping computers on Craigslist for extra cash. Applying for that promotion. Applying for that job. Self-educating to get certifications so I had an advantage. Learning how to replace my own radiators and fix my own HVAC. You get the idea.

Learn to work like a motherfucker, so that you may play like a motherfucker once it's quitting time. I'm not saying immerse yourself in an awful job that gives you anger issues and hurts others, but stop cherrypicking shifts and jobs. Stick your neck out, and you will beat the other 99 guys who won't do the same.

Okay, I'm always a little hesitant to post about my own process because you know, goons, but my story is kind of like the alternative to yours.
I stayed home during for almost my entire university career (we are both still in uni) because it was local and I chose to save money instead; when my grandmother got sick and moved into my parents, I moved in with my fiancé and his parents. We saved money all those years and now have our own house, our own car and no debt whatsoever, and we are under 25.
THAT SAID BENNY, we busted our asses to have what we do. Working two jobs sometimes, picking up shifts when available, hell, one summer my partner had two weeks off in the total of four months. This was while we are also both full time grad students.
Staying home to save money is one thing, but you don't seem motivated at all to leave judging by your work ethic (or lack thereof). If you want to leave at some feasible point in the future, you NEED to work harder, stop dragging your feet. Don't take my post you replied too as permission to stay home, you need to be honest with yourself and set your own priorities and stick to them.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

CravingSolace posted:

I know this may seem small, but you kept your hands on the table the whole time? And apart? Not clasped together in in your lap?

I'm trying to imagine what that looks like from the person on the other side of the table and I can't help but feel that it would look awkward. I've always just kept my hands in my lap. Like I said, I know it seems silly, but to me, someone sitting with their hands like that would read as anxious.

And I'm with the others in beginning to think this is someone trolling. I refuse to believe that someone would create a thread for advice just to do the opposite of it.

Edit: You still haven't answered how much you've spent on comics and how much the resume service cost you. Answer that, please.

Stuck out to me too...Benny, please just keep your hands folded in your lap like a sane person would do because I'm picturing you sitting straight up with your arms out and your palms flat on the desk 5" apart, it is a hilarious thought to me.

Also, WHY did you spend money on that service you dope, many goons have offered to help you with your résumé FOR FREE.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
If he does renovations we might get 'lost fingat' V2.0!
'Might', who am I kidding?
Lawnwork, Jesus wept, Benny.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
That last paragraph needs to be gone, like, entirely gone. Yikes. The first two were certainly on the right track.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You want the rejection letter?
E: and the landscaping gig?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Shut up I thought another Benny bomb dropped when I saw all the new replies!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

I had a 3.01 GPA in college which puts me squarely in the B/B- range

I don't know about where you live but you need an A standing to get into the phd program I'm considering. If not that, solid proof of research competency (as in, actual publications). Maybe you need to go to the grad school and academia thread before talking phd.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Benny, I am %100 serious when I say go to the Grad School and Academia thread. Write your current plan and see what they have to say. Grad school is full o absolutely merciless criticism, if you think goons are being rough, remember a large part of a thesis is having it brutally criticized. There aren't any excuses. You need to go to that thread and see what people are talking about and dealing with.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

booshi posted:

No don't send him down to us.

Benny, you won't get a professorship for a master's. The most you may get is teaching classes at a community college, but even then that may be tough to get with many PhDs in humanities in the market. Even if a terminal master's program accepted you (though, given your lackluster performance in undergrad and inability to hold a job it's highly unlikely), you'd be pissing money down the drain for nothing.

It's more for a wake-up call, though it seems he's immune to them? I hosed up some citation during my first year and my prof accused me of plagiarism and called me "grossly incompetent", despite high grades in the class. It's a good thing she knew me and knew it wasn't me ripping off someones work and was an honest mistake because those kind of mistakes can get you kicked out of a program. One minor gently caress up can cause huge poo poo and I don't think you (Benny) realize how serious that is.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Uncle Salty posted:

I wonder how much all these comix, that prompted this thread in the first place, are worth. Get a job, pass probationary period, sell comix, get car, move the gently caress out.

Unless Benny's mom can help him get a job in the school district?

As a qualified teacher, I seriously wish people would not put that potential burden on children. The world needs more DEDICATED teachers.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Advertiser posted:

To really appreciate high standard of writing put forward by everyone else in the Thunderdome read the beautiful story that sits directly below Benny's.

I guarantee you'll tear up, but in a good way. Not the way you teared up when reading Benny's.

I've been thinking of y old dog, max the past few days and how I held him and pet him and kisses him when it was time to go. I miss you, boy :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So Benny, I'm going to keep repeating the question...Are you a registered sex offender?

EDIT: He already has admitted that lies by omission in this thread. So if continues to ignore this question take that as an answer.

Wait, why would he be? Did I miss something?

Also not getting people who don't work in ccollege university. Started working when I was 14 and my work experience helped me to land a great job right out of grad school because on top of having an established resume, I can handle balancing tasks from focusing on school between work.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Wait, so is this a paid job or an unpaid volunteer position? You keep saying you got the job but volunteering isn't a job. This shouldn't be so confusing.

Good job on doing a thing I guess. Start running like I and others have suggested a million times, maybe that will help with your lovely lying problems.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 17, 2014

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Can we seriously just post DID YOU SIGN UP FOR HEALTH CARE YET? Until Benny answers?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I ask his entry not be counted until he answered about healthcare with an explanation as to why or why not he signed up for it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
How's Danny, you're brother!?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Perfidia posted:

I'm not sure if you're being smooth reminding Benny that's he's supposed to have a brother, or if you're just helping the thread population out.

Baha I thought he was using a fake name for his brother so I thought I'd just put that just for a lil reminder.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And your brother Benny! How's Danny?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Yeah if food gets stuck back there, absolutely get it pulled. You are at a higher risk of gum disease if it's broken through because it's difficult to clean properly.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And black tea bags. They can really help soothe pain if you wet it, then rest on the extraction area. Be so careful not to get a dry socket.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Benny is gonna get dry socket and it'll be hilarious :allears:

I didn't get a dry socket because I was being hyper-careful about taking care of my stitches, though I will be kind as to not divulge my own wisdom tooth extraction experience at least until Benny has his out.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Benny, the library is not going to pay you to sell used books online. That would require funding for that position, probably more than your library is willin to dedicate to "guy who sells used books for a buck online". ...how much are you planning on selling the books for? Will shipping be free?

Again, another goon posted above as well and you ignored me last time: how's Danny? Is he working?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^^okay so are you planning on selling them on eBay or Craigslist or what.

Benny. I am serious, you will not get paid for selling used books online. You will not make enough money for the library to decide to pay you for it. Get that idea completely out of your head now because libraries all over North America can barely secure funding for many programs as it is, unless it's a big metropolitan library.
Seriously though, does Danny even exist?

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread