Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I have an "All-Star" profile but the circle isn't 100% full. So I head over to "Improve Your Profile" and it turns out a Project I created for one of the games I worked on doesn't have a description. I quickly add one and get a toast popup of: "Sorry, there was a problem processing your request. Please try again."

This has been going on for the past 3 days that I've tried this. Anyone see this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

This isn't PYF, so I hope we can't.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

I recommended not posting your LinkedIn account on the forums or SA user name on LinkedIn unless you wanted the two to be publicly associated. Currently nobody knows who anyone else on LinkedIn is on SA and vice versa unless they did that. It's not a terrible thing but most people probably wouldn't want to do that. I never said anything about networking with goons in general, unless I'm horribly mistaken.

Other than yourself of course. :) We know all about who you are.

And to echo some of the above, the usefulness of Linked In to me is from people approaching me for jobs. The best way to do that is to be a 3rd degree connection or in a common group with a recruiter that's actively searching to fill positions. And that's why while I won't go out of my way looking for people to add, I'll accept any invite that comes my way and watch those sweet-sweet "Your profile has been viewed 28 times in the past 3 days" and "You have shown up in search results 124 times in the past 3 days" numbers increase.

Invariably when a recruiter does contact me, I'll add them and send a stock message of, "Thank you for contacting me, I'm not interested in relocating at this time but would be interested in hearing about any opportunities in CITY NAME." Chances are nothing comes from it, but those recruiters have other recruiters as connections and I just increased my 3rd degree to a recruiter count by a poo poo-ton.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doghouse posted:

I don't understand the whole getting a recommendation from a recruiter thing. I mean, they don't even know you or have any idea whether or not you would be a competent employee. Is the whole thing a game? Wouldn't most people be able to see through this?

The whole recommendation thing is a game that most people see through. Look at the # of mutual recommendations out there. It's meaningless. Places I've been if they were going to call references would always check linked in first and request references that weren't on the linked in recommendation list.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sancho posted:

That's incredibly dumb.

No dumber than the 'oh hey recommend me and I'll recommend you'-jerk fest that happens whenever there's a layoff. http://www.hartsman.com/2009/07/29/linkedin-for-pragmatists-why-i-stopped-recommending/ is one write-up that helped shape my belief.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Not sure if this should go here but since LinkedIn led me to the problem I'll post it here- I was contacted by a woman from Recruiting Service A and had a very positive interview with them (I was actually interviewed by her partner- more on that later) last week, and they have put my profile up on their database for someone to hopefully hire me. Today I saw a job posting in a group that listed the contact info of someone working for Recruiting Service B, and when I called her about the job posting she told me about a few others that they have, and asked that I send my resume to her.

If I do this and Service B helps me find a job (which isn't a guarantee), am I stabbing my rep from service A in the back? I guess I don't owe them anything yet but it was a really successful interview (my rep followed up with me the next day, and I guess her partner that interviewed me said "[He] nailed the interview, you have to find him a job") and I would like to keep her as a contact and rep since I'm staying in this area for the foreseeable future. At the same time, I guess she has no way of finding out that I got a job through some other service, and she even encouraged to keep up my own job search on top of her help. I must be over-thinking this, right?

Reverse the situation, "I'm a recruiter and Engineer A sent me their resume, then Engineer B sent me theirs, should I throw away Engineer's B since A hasn't gotten his job yet? What if he doesn't choose be in the future if B gets employed?"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Problem with that though is if you're paranoid of someone at your current employer seeing it by chance.

Shouldn't be paranoid about that, should plan for it. For fun I usually tweak my profile the same time I get a haircut. HR thinks I'm constantly interviewing and it pays off for me with perks. Not saying you should do the same, just that you should plan for it. HR/Recruitment where I work watches linked in like a hawk for leads.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Harry posted:

I saw this linkedin article today.

Justin Mares
Director of Revenue at Airbrake
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140722235610-67056463-why-real-businesses-don-t-charge-5-month?trk=tod-home-art-list-small_2

Been a while since I've seen the comments get so hostile towards someone.

What I find ironic is at work we are one of their first paying customers and are grandfathered into a plan that no longer exists that costs $9 a month.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KnifeWrench posted:

2. The staffing agency had nothing to do with your experience actually working. They can be references when requested, but otherwise they don't really factor in, IMO.

A lot of serial consultants and contractors do this to explain why you had "fifteen jobs" in one or two years.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SaltLick posted:

I've heard recommendations are actually useful in that it is a real person writing things about you. Can't hurt really.

I just assume it's a favor passing system and know not to seek them out for any follow-through recommendations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

spectralent posted:

I'm really glad someone told me this thread existed because several people told me "Use linkedin" and "Network" and I had exactly zero idea how to do those things.

The main issue I've got is trying to complete my profile; the thing that says "beginner" doesn't give me anything to do when I click it. Is it just bugged or what?

EDIT: Also I have the issue I'm currently unemployed. Is it best to put your job title as "Unemployed" or make something up?

95% of the people just leave their last job as "current" and then be like whoops I forget to update it I guess!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Race Realists posted:

on my home page

LINKEDIN IS A GREAT PLACE TO EXPRESS POLITICAL OPINIONS. DO THAT poo poo ALL THE TIME

its nothing short of amazing how this site has became Job Facebook

It's doing its job. Now you have a company never to work for and a person never to hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

My LinkedIn invite list has 18 recruiters on it. I want to get out of my specific line of work in the near future so I should reach out to explore options with them, but I’m 99% sure all of them will send me opportunities for the exact type of job I’m in now.

One reason to accept them is because they’re connected to other recruiters who are connected to yet more, so you’ll start showing up on searchers wider afield than you would have otherwise.

• Locked thread