Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

doverhog posted:

Dunno about Japanese tourists in particular but Japan in general is kinda famous for being racist and/or xenophobic.

*source: the internet.

An old Japanese man hit me with a cane once and called me an animal. For some reason, he told me that 'our German friends kicked your rear end'. Guess he thought I was French.

I was so offended he thought I was French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

poutine fucks.

can we get some love for biscuits and gravy?!

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

If you replaced everything on that map with doner kebab the map would still be correct.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

My hometown was established when the slavers of Bermuda ran out of space on their slave island fpr theor slave plantations, so they moved West.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Atlanta is actually very good. It is just that it is very small geographically and all the suburbs save Decatur and parts of Marietta are very bad.

It also depends on what you characterize as good or bad.
Public transport is crippled because of the state, traffic is poo poo because of crippled public transport and all the drat suburbs and the retarded highway system.
Cost of Living is good for a major city and the arts community is very healthy as a result. Low density of Californians help with this.
Property crime is bad but not terrible.
Climate is good but sometimes too hot.
Location is good with Delta hub giving access to rest of country and world, and 1 and a half hours from pretty Appalachian mountains.
Economy is good if you're in technology or the film and TV industry (our Governor is trying his best to gently caress that up though)

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 21, 2019

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Dutch people's strongest opinions are for the Dutch.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Clemson loving sucks, Myrtle Beach is the best college town.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Spazzle posted:

What state is Oakland in?

Maryland

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's quite a few places where USD are accepted but not official. Some of them are really strict about the bills being in pristine condition due to frequency of counterfeiting. Apparently there's a whole industry of buying non-pristine but real USD at reduced rates in Myanmar and then exchanging them at the real rate in Thailand where things are stable enough that nobody is worried.

Also you can use USD in Canada at most places but they'll treat it as equivalent to CAD and just give you back CAD change, so you can often be screwed if the USD is worth more. Like currently a US dollar is about 1.33 canadian so you're losing money. No reason for the business not to take them. Tim Hortons is one of the few places whose POS tracks the day-to-day exchange rate so you can get exact, proper CAD change for USD.

Yeah it's super convenient and is one of the best parts about the Toronto Airport. Arriving back in North America from an international flight at the Toronto Hub you can use the USDA in your pocket to buy either grossest Canadian fudge or a shoe shine or really whatever your heart desires.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

The old city of Jerusalem appears quite old. It isnt fully classical in the Roman sense, but it is still old.

it is amazing to walk through the old city and see all those landmarks youve heard about all your life in such close proximity.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

China's stereotypical opinion of European countries.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nope. Only how much it costs to live here.

I mean that colors basically everything involved in living somewhere.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

This map forgot Saudi Arabia

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

This is simply not true, because even in dense areas American cities make much more accommodation for cars

I live in an American city without public transport worth a drat and it loving sucks. I wish I could use a train or bus instead of sitting in gridlock

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Randarkman posted:

That quote is from a text from the 13th century. It's someone writing hundreds of years after the fact just making up some amusing bullshit. The idea that medieval Europeans didn't bathe or groom themelves is mostly complete nonsense.

This is kind of true. They bathed only around once a month, maybe once a week if they were fancy. Also, their general level of hygiene was really low. Their straw flooring was hardly ever changed out, they emptied their chamber pots in the public spaces, their animals roamed throughout the public spaces.

It was a generally gross time.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Private Speech posted:

North Macedonia making it politically-loaded.

I feel like Luka Doncic is more famous than Melania

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

American goulash is great! It's pasta with tomato sauce, stock, ground beef, and spices like onion powder and garlic powder. It's absolute snobbery to say it's gross, it's a combination of only delicious things.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I think more it is annoying when english people go on their (justified) anti American rants but fail to realize everything they hate America for england either did too (Iraq war) or did their own little version of.
That's more of disliking stupid people.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Tomatoes are way less common in a lot of Mexican cuisines than you would think if you're just imagining the pico de gallo at a Tex-Mex restaurant. A lot of time the red color in sauces or meat dishes is from dried chilis rather than tomato. My godmother family is from Michoacan and other than pico and Spanish rice I can't think of almost any dishes she makes that use much tomato at all.

Considering Mexico has multiple multiple varieties of tomatoes and gooseberries featured heavily in the cuisine i think this is cap.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Sadly, in Japan incest is simply fully legal. It’s a shame the Axis powers couldn’t align more clearly on their weird legal incest laws.

A cursory glance at the Wikipedia article on this subject did reveal, however, that Guyana and a string of Caribbean countries have made incest legal for hetero couples but illegal for homosexual couples, though…

Tbf same sex relationships don't provoke the negative results of incest, inbred children. It's just weird, and weird should be acceptable.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Why do you care? It's between two people that aren't you and it doesn't affect you at all.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah no honestly I am not willing to stand up for the right to be gross and sleep with your siblings.

Yuck

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn’t realize Nevada growth was THAT disproportionate

Another weird thing is looking at the list of largest cities

1. New York, duh
2. Los Angeles, ofc
3. Chicago, checks out
4. Houston, makes sense, sun belt, oil boom
5…… Phoenix, Arizona?

And it gets weirder from there. Jacksonville, Florida, widely known as the hell on earth of the USA, is bigger than San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, or DC itself

Ya its how the municipalities define the city limits. Atlanta for example only has a half million people, but the metro area is like 7 mil.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went and looked having never been to Seattle and there must be a story there. It’s a huge number of standard compass rose US grids. But the major streets are all over the place and sometimes two askew grids just slam into each other. drat hippies.

Kinda funny how romans built précise grid streets all over the place even for simple overnight camps but Rome itself is a clusterfuck to non-locals

I mean, Rome is a real city that grew organically over hundreds of years. You cant expect it to be hyper organized. All of Italy is a nightmare to get around in

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

So youre saying if you start with a blank piece of land then you can design it absolutely how you like it? I dont see how that means you van do the same thing in the seat of your empire, where all the important and powerful people live and own property.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

The Roman Empire was pretty bad, but they did some cool engineering.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I am haopy not being white if that means i become better at sports and dancing

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Atlanta appears t9 have been m9ved just outside of Dothan Alabama i see

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

All the Lebanese I know have said how one of their life goals was to get out of Lebanon so makes sense to me.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I have been to Germany. The onl6 fun thing to do there is to drive on the Autobahn. If youre not a car guy there, then what do you do, watch My Little Pony?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Victoria just got a patch that seems to be really well received.

Also, I have never even owned a car, and never will.

Germany has an extremely dense rail network and I pay 17€ per month for a pass that is valid in all regional transport in the entire country, including ferries and buses.

I know. I was making a joke that there is nothing fun to do in Germany except drive a car. I was also making a joke that Germans love watching My Little Pony.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

What's a "joke"?

An Anglo-Saxon eccentricity and the source of their degeneracy.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

https://furscience.com/research-findings/appendix-1-previous-research/summer-2020/

Adjusting for population, it seems that the Canada is the most degenerate, followed by you perfidious Northern Europeans.

Heat map speaks another story. That Germany is the most depraved and degenerate.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/2xjv3e/heat_map_of_furries_worldwide_oc/

quote:

From fuhrer to furries in a lifetime.

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 17, 2023

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I am pretty sure the English are lying, as always.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, you eat a nice, thin, crunchy pizza with a knife and fork. I really need to go to bed but imagine 12 more posts because this one internet hill that I am ready to die upon

No, unless youre in Naples, which you arent because you know how to use a computer, you fold the slice in half and eat it like an adult.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Mano posted:

how do you get slices?

In italy you just get the pizza, and then you choose who you wanna piss off. Some people just fold it in half, some people use a knife and fork. Some people will carve out little slices. It doesnt really matter because ita just bread cheese and tomato sauce. Just eat the loving pizza and move on with your life who cares?

NY style is better anyways.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Italy s too stuck and their ways and traditions and pizza culture is a great example of this.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

It's all good farmland, which the Finns logically decided they have enough of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Japan puts corn, mayo, cabbage, and pickles on pizza.

No matter how bad your local pizza scene is, the rest of the world can unite in declaring them the worst local pizza variety.

Its also weirdly good.