Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Probably that dense rectangle of blue in the orange heartland by the great gray band, I guess? :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Angiepants posted:

Buzzfeed threw up a goldmine today. Most of them aren't particularly political but they're still interesting.

Every country England has ever invaded.

...Algeria? Armenia? Ecuador? Laos? Liberia? Finland? Angola? Why Kazakhstan but not Uzbekistan? :psyduck: OH GOD SO MANY QUESTIONS.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

System Metternich posted:

A map of Bouvet Island, an uninhabitated island off the coast of Antarctica that for some bizarre reason belongs to Norway.

...Cape Circumcision?

Wait, what?

(AfterWikiFakeEdit: Just because it's the Feast day doesn't make it a good name!)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
^^^Vote map, let's see... That piece of the Gaspésie peninsula is the Anglophone zone on the Baie des Chaleurs from New Richmond to Restigouche; the dark red salient to the west is probably distorted by the shape of the Pontiac region, same as the exaggerated dark blue Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean in the middle. The southern districts have just enough of an english minority to go pale red, Montreal we've talked about.

The real weird one is the Beauce and Chaudière. Francophone au boutte and yet voted no. These days, they vote Conservative (gently caress you Paradis, gently caress you Bernier, gently caress youuuuuuuuuuuu)

univbee posted:

quebec.jpg

Speaking of,

One of the proposed ways Quebec would be sectioned off from Canada if they decided to separate.

Okay, those are understandable, if not necessarily workable:
-Nord-du-Québec-Jamésie: Inuit and Cree territory;
-Chunks off the Outaouais: High proportion of Anglophones;
-West Island: English and else;

But what the heck is with this Megali idea of the Eastern Townships? It's completely out of whack, it goes from the Richelieu to Mégantic to the Fleuve! That's like (fakeedit, checked) 88% Francophone.

I mean, I know a few Anglo bastions, Stanstead, Lennoxville, Compton, Eaton, the Magog border, hell my homevillage of Bury, but these are on a different scale with the West Island or the Ontario borderline.

Even going by the vote map provided just above, it should be much smaller.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

SineNobilitate posted:

...and a local economy highly reliant on the federal public service.

That, too, yes.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Poizen Jam posted:

I tried to look up claims of Canadian irredentism, but the only major dispute seems to be internal between provinces. Silly Quebec thinks it owns Labrador :3:.

Peninsular integrity!

(Yes we know it's a lost cause ever since the Privy Council took it from Lower Canada. The British Empire giveth and taketh away.)

(Cheap Churchill electricity is Québec's pound of flesh.)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

GreenCard78 posted:

Map projections are lame and there's no great conspiracy for Mercator to impose importance of some countries over others.

I don't think I've seen the NFL coverage maps in this thread yet. They post them every week in the football subforum.

Fox 11/17/2013 1:00 PM

http://506sports.com/nfl/

If you want a reason to call it political, you can see where the NFL blacks out the games on TV. If the game isn't sold out 72 hours in advance of starting, the game is blacked out within 75 miles of that city. This is the strictest blackout policy in sports.

Here is a long wikipedia article explaining it in detail.

But why are they blacking out HOU/CIN/CHI/BUF when the Texans/Bengals/Bears/Bills aren't even playing at that time? Are they playing later?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

roseo posted:

They're not blacked out, it was a bad explanation. Sunday games are split between two networks, with two time slots, early and late. Each network gets an early game, and one network airs a late game nationally. However, when the opposing network is airing a home game to a market, the networks air rights go to the late game. This prevents a home team from competing with another game going on.

Houston, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Buffalo all had early games on CBS, so fox affiliates have no broadcast rights in those markets and this are airing nothing in the early slot.

Dear gentlegoons, your humble servant, much indebted, grateful, etc. :tipshat:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks, NYT!

We're all going to diiiiiiiiiiiie. :shepicide:

Well, not really, but still. Not cool.

Personally, I prefer to call the Dokdo/Takeshima... the Liancourt Rocks. :parrot:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Now, South Africa I know why, ANC, Mandela etc.

But the band in Mittelafrika??

It's not all ex-French colonies, but it does look link most of them (AOF+AEF). What the heck is going on here?

Doesn't seem to be a religious thing. Mali/Sénégal VS Congo/Zambia.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I think it's just because there's no law explicitly against it. It doesn't say "marriage" just "consensual relationships".

Oui, bien sûr, mais là n'est pas la question.

My question is why? Why do those states have legal homosexuality while others don't? It doesn't look like a random distribution, there is a near-complete (SA.za, Bissau) geographic continuity.

If it was clearly AEF+AOF, we might conclude it has to do with the Code Civil. But it's not: the gay-"friendly" zone includes Bel.Congo, Guinee-Bissau and Guinea Equatorial and excludes Cameroun, Togo, Guinée, Sénégambie and Mauritanie. It's similar enough to the french colonial domain to attract notice but not identical enough to conclude with confidence.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Irradiation posted:

Is there a map like this with representatives?

You mean proportion of R/D in a House delegation? That's this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:113th_US_Congress_House.png

because the control map is useless outside of "wow America is sure empty and red!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:113th_US_House.svg

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So is there any country where women are physically secure? Because it doesn't look like it.

Unless one of those countries that looks like "no data" is. The colors are pretty bad on that map.
Let's see...

Groenland? Mostly empty, I don't know how native women fare.

Svalbard? Even less people, large proportion of contract miners and scientists? Wiki says among safest places on Earth.

Western Sahara? Does not exists, move along, move along, says the Moroccan soldier.

Central African Republic? Currently in a vicious civil war with ethno-religious overtones.

So best countries are Sweden, Danemark, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland and Austria.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

Sure, if for no other reason than to point out the truncated Brittany on that map. You all knew this would happen

This map has bonus flags if that's your thing.

Topically, their Ukrainian borders are... uh, interesting. Why is the Crimean border south of the isthmus of Perekop?

Somehow, Italy remains mostly united. Huh well.

What is the funny little red pocket in Thessaly?

Hehe Lotharingia.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

That should be three for Canada!

The Expos would have won in 1994-95! :argh:

I miss them. :sigh::hf::quebec:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Is India still dominating Cricket? Is there a similar map for the Cricket "world championship/series/cup/etc."?

One-Day International World Cup

The West Indies have as many victories as India. Huh.

Twenty20 World
One for each of IND, PAK, ENG and West Indies

And then there's a Champions's trophy I know not how it works, and a Cricket World League without top teams.

Test cricket is the top flight for national teams, and it works more on a continuous basis rather than a World Cup.

Is there anything about this sport that isn't complicated as all hell?

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 24, 2014

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Wow, I never realized that a Croatian rump state actually managed to resist the Ottomans.

Yeah, Dalmatia had a very peculiar history. Venetian from 1490 to 1797 (Napoléon est passé ici), it was Croatian∞Hungarian before.

Long live the Republic of Ragusa!

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
I guess like that?

"It... it didn't even hurt! You are a genius! Come over and gently caress my sisterinherit my absolute rulership of the Turkmen people!"

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

I am really impressed by those huge swamplands on the eastern coast. Did they naturally silt up or were they drained?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I'm not a christian but man I love the Catholic church because they have great heraldry:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Coats_of_arms_of_dioceses_of_the_United_States

ex:
Coat of Arms of the Diocese of Evansville

How about the Gaylord* coat of arms.

*(diocese)

(Full disclaimer: I am a silly child.)

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
That tiny triangle of ocean claimed by Malaysia, Brunei, Philippines, Vietnam, and, of course, :china:*.

*maybe also the ROC?

The nine-dash line is never not hilariously silly-sad.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Andorra you fuckers

Wouldn't want to live in Marseilles at the time!

That's not Andorra, more like Southern Gascogne/Northern Aragon?

How did commercial waypoint Bruges get off lightly?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

...Poland???

Is this a case of just "There are no sodomites in our pious catholic realm.", or something else?

Also Turkey and Italy before Germany and the Nordics. Huh.

What's your problem, San Marino?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

What the gently caress Mauritania :catstare:

Yeah that was the mindfuckiest part of my West Africa social study class. My Senegalese professor told us... stuff. :stonk:

Worse still, the gov acts like the legal ban magically and automatically ended the practice.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

:drat: This guy has balls so huge they liberate slaves by their sheer gravity.

pro-click, thanks.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Putting aside the actual question of whether the claim is valid or not, I'm curious what you mean by this.

What I find funny about the Argentine claims is, besides the Malvinas, they still call the others South Georgia, South Orkneys, South Shetland. Way to admit to UK presence, guys.

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 2, 2014

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Orange County. :downsrim:

Also, drat California, where did you get all those peeps.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Necessary link: Swastika laundry (1912)

Or: Swatika, Ont. est. 1907 "The hell with Hitler. We came up with our name first!"

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 9, 2015

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

How are Romania-NZ relations, incidentally? And who are your Maori analogues?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
<politically-loaded map>

Orange=AKP (Erdoganism-islamism), red=CHP (center-leftist moderated ataturkism), blue=MHP (Turk nationalism), purple=HDP (Kurdish minority+social-democracy leftism)
</politically-loaded map>

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

What's the inland red province? It's a little too far west for Ankara.
"ESKİŞEHİR"

From http://secim.aa.com.tr/indexENG.html:

CHP=39%
AKP=36%
MHP=17%
HDP=4%

Sadly, the openly gay HDP candidate (Baris Sulu, oh myyyyy.) did not get elected there.

e: As to why the CHP won there, the ^^preceding post^^ looks like a clue.

e2: In Ankara itself, just to the east of Eskisehir, the CHP got 3% less votes than AKP, but has the same number elected (7).

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 8, 2015

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

...Icelandic Quebec? Wuh?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The Dakotas would be in more of a position to change that than Canada.

THE CITY OF :parrot:MAXBASS :rock:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Well look at that, it started in Brooklyn?

e: And that S Line looks almost unchanged!

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

From what I saw in class, French fur trappers got along alright with Natives, even had kids with them.

Indeed, the coureurs des bois had mostly positive relations* with Natives, because coercion was rather hard when you're a half-dozen dudes around hundreds of locals. A recurring theme of New France is that instead of Natives receiving the revelation of True Religion and assimilating into European culture, Frenchmen were adopting into the local society with startling ease and marrying Sauvageonnes, to varying degrees of acceptance from the state and church.

Of course, all that is why there is a Métis people still in the Prairies. (Sapré crinqué de Louis Riel.)

*That said, the trade in itself caused severe disruption of local economy, but that happened at an economic level removed from personal interaction.

And yes, the middle coasts of France, Normandy in the North and Poitou on the Atlantic, along with Île-de-France, were the main sources of colons. My own direct line ancestor was from La Rochelle.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Is that all of Kashmir to India?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
So, in a contest of complexity, Syrian Civil War or Congo Conflict?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

It's amusing finding the symmetrical borderlands versus the one-sided relationships. Vegas is a clear one. Also, hi Malheur County!

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Crimea is still part of Ukraine in this map,

Also Syria has been split down the middle with half being the regime flag and half the flag of the FSA, which is its own :can:

Even more :can:, the part of the country covered with the revolution flag has almost* no FSA presence, it's either Daesh/SDF/Regime.

*(al-Tanf and that brigade northwest of DeZ, basically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

fishmech posted:

But you just posted a map that's mostly Brookline...

Meanwhile in Queens, it can get quite confusing when you say you're at the corner of 60th and 60th:

"I live on 60th Place, not 60th Street or Avenue or Road or Lane or Drive!"
"...Which 60th Place?"