Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fishmech posted:

You're overthinking it. They simply listed which answer came up most often for each category. So if, let's say, 20% of people say Germany is the most trustworthy, and a different 20% say it's the least trustworthy, Germany can be the most common answer for both categories.

And then there's this:

Poland is actually kinda Polarised

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Reveilled posted:

Overdone joke aside, is Poland particularly polarised? The PO is in the EPP and PiS is in ACRE so that kinda suggests one is a Conservative Party and the other is a Slightly More Conservative Party.

Yeah they aren't all that much, it's just a funny map to post when talking about Poland and their attitude towards Germans. There is somewhat higher prevalence of pro-Russian attitudes in the east and the east is a bit poorer too, but the difference isn't huge.

Then again I'm not Polish so I dunno.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

What's wrong with nestle, lard, liver paste and deep fried pizza?

And I didn't know there were anywhere near this many blood-based dishes (and I personally know of at least two which are not on there! ugh).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It's original research so possibly.

Anecdotally it at least seems to split Europe fairly accurately into Subtitles/Dubbing/Those weird Russian voiceovers

e: It's basically a dude speaking in a dispassionate monotonic voice over the sound of the film. Seriously it's weird.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 2, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The stars in the background should clearly be cutouts, there's no way to properly see their colour :colbert:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

French TV tells it like it is:

Isn't both Romania and Croatia in the EU as well?

or is that the joke

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

snuggle baby luvs hugs posted:

I'll be damned it my great^100 grandson has to share a continent with the perfidious...everyone

Don't worry that's about 5000 years at best.

Crazy to think of future millions of years ahead. Admittedly this is not very mapthready.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Koramei posted:

Cellphones are pretty ubiquitous there and have been for a decade or more now. Over the past few years even smartphones have gotten to be common in the wealthier cities.

Yeah but, if you have a command economy, well uhh, why would you need two.

I guess one for higher-ups/soldiers/w/e and one for ordinary proles?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bosnia is ridiculously safe, unless you stumble into that one Wahhabi village.

Mainland Ukraine isn't all that bad either. Still they have to put the line somewhere.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean if you look at the US Gov travel advisory website it says about every single European country that it's unsafe because there's a chance of getting pickpocketed.

It's not like that isn't true though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, I'm just glad there's no thieves anywhere in the US of A.

Of course not. Duh.

Though it probably sucks more to have your things stolen on a different continent.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

boner confessor posted:

about street widths or unfuckable neurotics?

Probably he meant the widths but I'd say both, IMO. Incel posts are always when you want to not feel like a complete failure in all respects while you sob into your hands and cut yourself, or w/e do serious sadbrains people do fun to read.

e: more accurate

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 10, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Duckbag posted:

It's funny, because I have narrow wrists and wide shoulders and literally no one has ever commented on them. As for being a sexless loser, that probably has more to do with my horrible personality and disgusting goonbody.

Yeah uhh, I didn't mean goon incels when I said that. Uhmm.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Platystemon posted:

Red: countries that do not have a primate city

Note that this somehow includes Japan :) Otherwise seems pretty accurate, dunno about Canada maybe (I guess there's Vancouver/Montreal/Quebec ?).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

HookShot posted:

Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver, to be more accurate. The Greater Toronto Area has like 6 million people out of a total of 35-ish million in all of Canada.

Well yes, but Toronto would be the primate one, with 9.5m in the metro area according to wiki.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

fishmech posted:

Opera the company initially did most of their marketing in Europe, especially Eastern Europe. Netscape also barely marketed or was available there and Microsoft didn't bother to push IE too much there specifically. So Opera was kind of the default other browser that might come with a computer or which you would get on your own.

I've got no explanation for why it was still sticking around there into the late 2000s once Firefox came out though, I guess it could have been plain inertia.

Worth noting that as a whole, in the early years of browsers Opera never really took off globally:

I thought Opera was pretty cool in the later 2000s, it was one of the first modern browsers to have tabs and individual history and gestures and such. I think I found out about it from SA cca 2008? actually, long before I registered my account here. One feature I still miss is using shift+scrollwheel to scroll through tabs in this list that would pop up. Bit hard to describe but it was really handy and I still can't find anything like that in Chrome (though FF has it I think).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 19, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought the people in the highlands of New Guinea were pretty much always at war with each other.

It seems like it only counts state warfare though, otherwise Africa would be considerably less quiet.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

vyelkin posted:

Give it two years and the joke will work again

There's even more Poles in Germany

But it's a good joke

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

QuoProQuid posted:

OUR COUNTRY AS TRAITORS AND TYRANTS WOULD HAVE IT

or

MAP OF THE DISUNITED STATES (1864)

The title is kind of a funny own of Putin and his governments' making of similar maps.

Except I guess in private he would just shrug and go, "yeah I'm a tyrant, so what".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ofaloaf posted:

Does Singapore also count as a single municipality, or is it technically split into several cities or anything like that?

Depends who you ask.

They have/had this big "self-contained communities" concept going, and the island is actually fairly sizable and not completely urbanised.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OddObserver posted:

Also needs a separate color for "law"

That's what the yellow and green is.

I'm not even being ironic.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

TinTower posted:

Which is because Britain is a special snowflake and doesn't want to process let in refugees into Britain like every other country.

UK does process refugees in Britain, just only those who come in legally from outside the EU (i.e. by plane mostly).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Is it weird that the main thing I notice about this map is that IT'S SLOVENIA DAMMIT!

I'm not from a Balkan country either.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

FPTP is a better map for that IMO (then again South Africa, Australia and Ireland; can't win them all I suppose):

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

catfry posted:

New roads in Poland are built to very high standards, and de jure requirements to what roads can be classified as "motorway", the necessary class for having a speed limit of 140km/h, are very strict.

Alternatively it's the Texas of Europe, just without all the rich bits.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Orange Devil posted:

Bavaria is the Texas of Europe though.

Well fine it's the Arkansas then, a place wishing it was Texas.

They don't have 140 limits there though so it doesn't work as well.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Blut posted:

To be fair they at least got to keep their land after WW2 and didn't get forcibly repatriated to Hungary. They did a bit better than the Eastern European German minorities in that regard.

The nazis did much the same with their lebensraum policies, and (though the occasional brutality of it was not) it was sanctioned by the UN following the war.

Wait you're one of the German nationalist posters, why am I replying to you.

e: because this is the political maps thread:

quote:

The German concept of Lebensraum (German pronunciation: [ˈleːbənsˌʁaʊm] (About this sound listen), English: "living space") refers to policies and practices of settler colonialism which proliferated in Germany from the 1890s to the 1940s. First popularized around 1901,[2] Lebensraum became a geopolitical goal of Imperial Germany in World War I (1914–1918) originally, as the core element of the Septemberprogramm of territorial expansion.[3] The most extreme form of this ideology was supported by the Nazi Party (NSDAP) and Nazi Germany until the end of World War II.[4]

Following Adolf Hitler's rise to power, Lebensraum became an ideological principle of Nazism and provided justification for the German territorial expansion into East-Central Europe.[5] The Nazi Generalplan Ost policy (the Master Plan for the East) was based on its tenets. It stipulated that most of the indigenous populations of Eastern Europe would have to be removed permanently (either through mass deportation to Siberia, death, or enslavement) including Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, and other Slavic nations considered racially inferior and non-Aryan. The Nazi government aimed at repopulating these lands with Germanic colonists in the name of Lebensraum during World War II and thereafter.[6][7][8] The entire populations were to be decimated by starvation, allowing for their own agricultural surplus to feed Germany.[6]

Hitler's strategic program for world domination was based on the belief in the power of Lebensraum, pursued by a racially superior society.[7] People deemed to be part of inferior races, within the territory of Lebensraum expansion, were subjected to expulsion or destruction.[7] The eugenics of Lebensraum assumed the right of the German Aryan master race (Herrenvolk) to remove indigenous people they considered to be of inferior racial stock (Untermenschen) in the name of their own living space.[7] Nazi Germany also supported other "Aryan' nations" pursuing their own Lebensraum, including Fascist Italy's spazio vitale.[9]

Not saying it wasn't a bad thing, and it's mandatory to spend a month learning about it in school in at least some parts of Eastern Europe, but on the whole it always strikes me as kinda silly how some Germans treat it as some grave injustice compared to what they did for years in the first place. Particularly when a lot of Germans were relatively recent immigrants, though most weren't.

And it happened in northern France too, because of some woo Nazi science splitting French people into two ethnic groups, uhh, somehow.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 8, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What if forced population transfers and ethnic cleansing was wrong when Germans did them AND also wrong when they were done to reasonably innocent German civilians? What if two things could possibly be wrong and bad at the same time, without either being excused?

I think it's not that simple. A lot of the german civilians enjoyed very privileged positions under Nazi rule, often given management positions, confiscated property, all companies must have had ethnically clean owners, etc. This made it so that some form of restitution was inevitable, but there probably should have been exceptions for people who lived in the area for a long time.

You can't possibly expect people to accept that German civilians would keep their property and positions as have been acquired under the occupation.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Blut posted:

What? I'm not even German?

Its also a bit of a jump to call me a German nationalist because I said Szekely Hungarians did better than ethnic Germans after WW2, I wasn't making any comment on whether ethnic Germans deserved their repatriation or not. The ones who supported the Nazis almost certainly did, if only to prevent any potential future German revanchism. But thanks for the slightly odd attack I guess.

Oh sorry, I have you on ignore for some reason, which is a place you share with kapparomeo, hakimashou, Gaussian Copula and Geriatric Pirate, so I just assumed.

Probably because you post about AfD and such a bunch, say like this:

quote:

I'm sure for the right price somewhere on the European periphery could be convinced to set up a 'holding area' for those stateless convicted illegal immigrant criminals who refuse to admit where they're from. Let them stay there until they admit where they're actually from, then send then home. The Australian system that does this seems to work rather well.

Anyway yeah nevermind.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

my dad posted:

Hello, dude who talked to relatives who survived being in Nazi concentration camps speaking here, the ethnic cleansing of Germans was wrong. A rather insufficient amount of Nazi shooting was done wrt the actual Nazis, and I'm not a fan of compensating with 6 year olds.

My relatives have too been in a Nazi concentration camp, incidentally. I didnt even particularly like them when they were alive, and I don't see why it really matters.

Also there's a difference between murder and resettlement, but you know what whatever, I don't really care. I don't have anything against Germans who have stayed or who I have met abroad. In fact my former landlady was one of the people who were expulsed after the war, and I have spoken with her about it in a mutually amiable way.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

my dad posted:

If you accept.

Depending on where that got you dragged off in cuffs. Admittedly it wasn't exactly the case in Poland or Ukraine.

It was a lovely thing done in a brutal manner, but I don't think it was entirely unjustified. Though just the expropriation of property would have been enough.

And technically anyone who could prove they were not supporters of Nazism (amittedly to biased courts and ... this is really perhaps just how it was in Czechoslovakia) were allowed to stay.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Less then 1% were murdered, at least in Czechoslovakia, and that includes a large percentage of suicides? A lot of those by Soviet soldiers and people settling grudges, more than just in the process of expulsion.

Its difficult for me to really understand what it would have meant had it not happened. I suppose, given the Soviet takeover, all the property would have been nationalised sooner or later anyway. So perhaps it was completely senseless after all.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rumda posted:

Which of course don't count as actual deaths...

gently caress off man.

Well, not murders. At least according to the German red cross quoted on wikipedia.

Of course a fair number of those were probably caused by what happened.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's hard to understand why it happened, and that people then had reasons for it. The life under Nazi occupation was really exceedingly unpleasant for non-Germans.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rumda posted:

And people that starve to death after being striped of all there possessions and marched away from the only home they ever knew?

Very few people starved, seeing as they were in internment camps and then admittedly dumped in Germany, but it's not like they were shipped off to woods and left to die.

And those possessions were very likely unjustly earned in the number of years prior to that when they benefited from explicit germans-first policy.

If it were Israelis expulsed from parts of the West bank, would you still see it the same way? Beacaue that is a decent example of a modern-day equivalent.

But I'll stop now, I don't even know what I'm arguing about anymore.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rumda posted:

That's not an equivalent situation a large majority of the German minorities had been there for generations

E: you know what nevermind, will keep the map for the map thread

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 9, 2017

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

chairface posted:

Well see where you or I might do land reform by taking land from wealthy whites who know something about farming and giving it to local people who also know something about farming, that is not the path Zimbabwe chose. Instead they took the land from wealthy/colonial whites who knew about farming and gave it to Mugabe's military pals and cronies, who knew nothing about farming. So yes, basically they did that.

Being fair the chart is presented in a fairly disingenuous way, since it shows that while the Zimbabwean share of production fell the actual amount produced remained fairly steady.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

catfry posted:

Going from that chart, in 2001 Zimbabwe produced 5 % out of all of Africas wheat production, which was 40 million tonnes, so 2 million tonnes in Zimbabwe.
In 2003 the chart shows them at 1 % out of a total african production of 45 million tonnes, so 450 000 tonnes, a decrease of about 1,5 million tonnes from start of land reforms.

Oh alright, I wasn't looking on it that closely. Still, the two pieces of information on there don't necessarily support each other, and it would be better if it was just a chart of Zimbabwean production alone.

Plus I'm guessing cash crops replaced wheat at least to some extent.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Ras Het posted:

EU28: Countries by head of government's European Parliament grouping in March 2018.

Lithuania's agrarian party is in the green bloc for whateverthefuck reason.

This maps to political allegiance of the member governments surprisingly well.

Lotsa consevatives in Europe :( (Italy's not red anymore either)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Is Germany a western country? France, Denmark? I’m not even going to bring Italy or Greece into this. Here’s a paper from the OECD:

https://www.oecd.org/els/family/HC2-2-Households-without-flushing-toilet.pdf

That's percent of households below 50% of median income, which is only around 10% of the population, so still much fewer than in the US.

Either way the Indian map did not specify a flushing toilet, which I'm guessing is the most relevant point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Chinese takeout is a US tailored modification of mainland Chinese food that most Chinese would not consider Chinese food, kind of like Taco Bell isn't Mexican food (although at least Chinese takeout was probably developed by people of Chinese descent).

It's also complete crap compared with actual Chinese food, as well as somehow established all over Europe too.

The same thing goes for British curries.