Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Brexit has already happened. We are in the transition period where the UK's hand is even weaker and they've already denied prolonging the transition period due to the pandemic.

It's fascinating to watch because an extension would need unanimous consent from every country in the EU. It's one of those maddening bugs/features of the EU that, in this case, works against the UK.

Brexit is such an all-emcompassing clusterfuck, fractally, at every level. It's amazing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

To be honest, I'm increasingly of the opinion that we've all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees. I'd even argue that even the trees had been a bad move, and that we should've have never left the oceans.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Honestly, what that map drives home for me is that Bavaria should gtfo. (And take Sachsen with them)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

I wouldn't vote for them anyway, like the 'Greens' in the rest of Europe it seems they're in the hippie boomer Romantic tradition where nuclear power and GMO's are evil because they mess up our chakras or some poo poo, so mostly useless when it comes to devising actual sustainable policies

That's just straight bullshit. The Greens have been screaming at the government to actually do something for decades, but doing something against climate change is massively unpopular among the media and rich donors.

The Greens would never have killed off vast chunks of Germany's wind and solar industry like CDU/CSU/FDP/SPD did, or allowed Bavaria to pass laws that prohibit building any kind of energy generation. They would have massively expanded renewables, that's the one defining thing on their agenda that they can be relied upon to actually execute if they were in power on the federal level.

But again, concrete actions against climate change are massively unpopular.

Nuclear is unpopular across the entire political spectrum because people actually have the magical ability to remember the radioactive rain, being advised not to eat wild mushrooms, the contaminated saline from Asse II, which, by the way, the tax payer has to pay to excavate after private industry dumped their waste there, the constant coverups at a number of German plants when they ran with major safety measures nonfunctional because it cost money to repair, plant operators and politicians using armed thugs to beat up peaceful protesters on the regular, the still unsolved waste problem, the insane amount of money spent subsidising reactors…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Randarkman posted:

There has never been an issue so overblown as the "still unsolved waste problem" of nuclear power.

Excavating the dumped waste from Asse II costs more than the entire annual state budget of some states, all paid for by the public after private industry has extracted all value. Records were deliberately destroyed to hide what was dumped there in its final days.

Frankly, it's insane how people can't tell it's a capitalist racket.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Platystemon posted:

A paradox of nuclear energy is that it is actually possible to handle waste responsibly, even clean up waste that had been carelessly disposed of by previous generations, and that leads to situations like this that can be used as cautionary tales.

I think you'll understand that "It's totally possible to handle waste, we just haven't figured out how in 70 years, maybe future generations will manage it" is not going to persuade anyone.

And nobody is cleaning up the contaminated soil across Europe.

Gorleben just got axed, so Germany is back to square one.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Platystemon posted:

We’ve been doing it right since the eighties.

You store it in a pool near the reactor till the daughter products cool down substantially, then you move it to dry casks (typically on site), then preferably you move it to deep geological repository.

Too bad the "deep geological repository" does not exist in Germany. There is a growing mountain of toxic sludges and waste of varying spiciness accumulating with absolutely no long term storage solution whatsoever. Naturally, after all profit has been extracted the waste is now the public's problem. Specifically, the future public's problem.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's your government's fault, not a flaw in nuclear power generation.

I have no idea how to interpret this other than that Germany's geological makeup is the government's fault, which…yeah, I guess. Which direction should Germany expand to acquire land that has geological formations that are stable long-term and don't immediately start flooding or deforming?

Phlegmish posted:

If there actually are better alternatives nowadays, I'm all for phasing out nuclear power plants, just not to replace them with coal plants or something else that is much worse

There's potential for 2900 TWh/a of wind on shore alone, already excluding all areas around settlements, forests and so on.

Total production (all sources) hovers around 600 to 650 TWh/a.

The thing is, it needs to actually be done. But doing things is unpopular because it means more transit needs to be built to connect grids with stronger links to move power where it is needed. Especially North/South links to Norwegian and Swedish hydro (Germany has some, but not much), and southern solar. They are needed because wind is intermittent.

And lots of NIMBYs don't want any kind of electricity generation or transit (see Bavaria, they don't want wind, nuclear, hydro, coal, nuclear storage).

Map of on shore wind speed average at 80m:

Off shore potential is gigantic and mostly untapped:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Blut posted:

Hasn't their coal usage also gone up massively since they began phasing out nuclear?

Pictured: Massive increase of coal usage.

Blut posted:

It all just seems incredibly short sighted. Their Greens shout NUCLEAR BAD and start closing power plants,

They set a future date for nuclear shutdown when they were the junior partner in a coalition government around the turn of the millennium with an exit about 20 years later.

Blut posted:

but with absolutely nothing lined up to replace them. So pollution levels actually just increase when coal/gas is used to pick up the slack.

They did, in fact, have a plan. However, you may have noticed that for the past 16 years Merkel has been the chancellor, and there has never been a green chancellor. Merkel is a conservative, the greens haven't been in government for 16 years.

Blut posted:

In an ideal world like sure, everything would be renewable. But that doesn't give the baseline reliable power thats needed still, so with no nuclear it just goes back to gas/coal.

"Baseline" doesn't exist beyond the nuclear and fossil lobbies. You can actually look at demand curves, they fluctuate a lot, which nuclear can not service. What happens instead is that nuclear plants are subsidised to run even when energy prices are low, and renewables have to shut down to not overload the grid. This is done to insulate the private companies running those plants from market effects at the cost of the public.

Blut posted:

For the foreseeable future a mixture of nuclear and renewable seems the only real world option to provide reliability+capacity+minimum pollution.

No. The only option is to go hard on a massive expansion of transit networks to connect to neighbouring countries and to stop kneecapping wind and solar. Nuclear is not economically viable and takes far too long to build. Even if you allowed new plants, none would be built.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought Germany's long-term plan was just to forever sponge off of French nuclear power.

Germany is a transit country, but has an overall export surplus. Which is helpful because France has an enormous electricity deficit when it gets too cold (electrical heating and bad insulation) or too hot.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Germany’s entire energy policy is completely insane and just shoveling money to Russia while tut tutting about killing EU citizens in EU soil but not too hard

Man, yanks are really upset Germany doesn't like being blackmailed to buy more expensive American LNG and disrupt its energy supply, aren't they. Perhaps if the USA was as reliable as Russia, they wouldn't have been rebutted.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Blut posted:

Convenient cutoff of almost 3 years ago you've got there.

Yes, very convenient that I dictate the date ranges for Eurostat. Nice job implying I specifically chose those in my post to disprove the claim that coal use has gone up massively since the year 2000. gently caress off.

Blut posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...-not-willpower/

Good thing they shut down all those non polluting nuclear power plants so they can increase the use of coal, probably the most environmentally damaging source of electricity possible, by 44% (!) eh?

edit, actually this is worth quoting too, just because it sums up the results of the madness of the German Green's anti nuclear policy perfectly. From the same article:

Yes, the madness of the Greens who ARE NOT IN POWER, and HAVE NOT BEEN IN POWER FOR 16 YEARS.

Anyway, that blog post is from someone I actually recognise. He's that guy:

wikipedia posted:

In June 2020, Shellenberger published Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All, in which the author argues that climate change is not the existential threat it is portrayed to be in popular media and activism. Rather, he posits that technological innovation and capital accumulation, if allowed to continue and grow, will remedy environmental issues.
:dumbbravo:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Have some fun maps. How [thing] is called in a region. Do not be alarmed by the borders, it's not using national borders† but regions where German is spoken.

Pancake:

House shoes:

10:15

(This is the :psyduck: version: purple is "quarter eleven" and yellow is "quarter over ten")

The end slice of a bread:

Yet

Sauße is https://www.atlas-alltagssprache.de

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

lmao, that reminds me of

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, thanks, I hate it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The data source: a post on r/askreddit

$100% legit.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm shocked Paris isn't on there, but Marseille would be my second guess.

I wasn't kidding when I said the "data source" is r/askreddit. It's literally "some random person posted to my Reddit thread".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

:thejoke:?
Weird request, but okay

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Any map without Denmark is a good map.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

BonHair posted:

Why not? Turkish labour was imported in the 70s in Western Europe because of a shortage of domestic labour. It makes sense that West Germany has a lot more Turkish immigrants than the East, since there DDR didn't import Turkish labour.

The interesting thing is that Vietnamese don't show up on the map. Despite the BRD making GBS threads on them non-stop a lot of them stayed after reunification. Perhaps a lot of them naturalised.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Note that refugees in Germany are assigned to states according to a formula that takes into account the wealth of the state and its population. The former GDR states are allocated ~15% of all refugees in 2020, excluding Berlin which is allocated 5,14%.

Those ~15% were enough to become the largest foreign group in a lot of Landkreise in the east.

Where I live refugee centres existed only for processing and were pretty close to public transport within the city. Though afaik a lot of the more conservative states put their centres in the sticks (and wondered, like absolute imbeciles, why a lot of refugees went crazy being in some centre in bumfuck nowhere all day with no way to do anything)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Meanwhile, there are plans for a Beijing-Moscow HSR line, not to mention all the connective work being done in Europe to get through some pretty difficult terrain to connect urban centres.

Also, Morocco has more HSR than the USA, plus Egypt is building more.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I don't think it's collapsing into one at all, it's fracturing. Effectively, English is being democratised.

Did you know "Euro English" is a thing? It's an English dialect created by ESL speakers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Saladman posted:

I'd never heard of it ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_English ) but after reading the Wikipedia article - admittedly not a deep scholarly dive - it kind of just looks like "here is a list of common false friends, none of which would be accepted as correct use for a public-facing document"? Calling it a "dialect" seems like a stretch, and I've spent my entire adult life living and working in cities that are dominated by Europeans who speak ESL.

Not quite, it's lingo used within EU institutions that is diverging from British and American English vocabulary. With the UK's departure from the EU I expect this trend to continue since EU institutions are increasingly unmoored from how English is spoken in the UK. The only native English speaking country in the EU right now is Ireland, and it's a small island away from the normal streams of travel.

Keep in mind that this is a very recent development, but it's a point of divergence. I think it's fairly similar to what happened and is happening with Indian English.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Just replace all languages with Marain imho.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Arte is the superior culture.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tei posted:

German't

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The stench of smoke from contaminated clothing somehow transferred to everything they came in contact with as well.

I was on a business trip in Vienna a few years ago and brought enough clothing to change once a day, but then lunch and evening meals were done in restaurants with indoor smoking and everything reeked. I felt so miserable with a constant migraine and had to pretend to not feel like dying in front of business partners. gently caress me that was miserable.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Letmebefrank posted:

The anti-fascist protection wall was first confusing, but then I realized it was intended to keep the saxons IN.

Correct. There's a changelog somewhere but it's fragmented across multiple posts.

Among other things:

Saarland was abolished, then later reinstated as a gigantic Kaufland
Bavaria was traded for Elsass-Lothringen, but without Franconia
Lower Saxony was flooded to create a large off-shore wind park, Sylt was relocated to house people convicted of tax evasion
Denmark joined Legoland somehow, but was renamed to avoid copyright claims
Some state I don't remember the name of was divided equally among its neighbours
Saxony was renamed and walled in
That whole North-Rihne West-Falia, South-Rhine East-Falia business…

And then someone decided that the borders were too jagged and they should be smoothed…

All in all an extremely hosed-up map.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, they have lots of ch and pronounce it differently. It's a profoundly weird language to Germans because it's almost, but not quite, entirely like German, except impossible to understand.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess a little weird to see how many countries in Europe buy "native" seeing as how the EU is supposed to prohibit the protectionism that would be involved in maintaining that. The UK, for all its bluster in pulling out, buys American.

There are no rules against a company having a better feel for the local market than its competitors from abroad.

The EU is, of course, very protectionist for anything outside of its club, but internal competition still has to work around cultural differences between its member states (and buying power, fwiw). Don't underestimate language as a factor either.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hudson Bay getting some pretty interesting tides there.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

China still has fewer resources per capita than the USA in terms of basically everything you need to fight a pandemic. I don't think the chart takes political failure into account, because that's hard to predict. Preparedness doesn't help when a country refuses to act.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The gently caress?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Someone posted it to reddit. Their rationale was "gently caress states, vivent les départements!"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

scandinavian peninsula = norway & sweden
scandinavia = above +denmark
the north = +finland +faroes +iceland +greenland
great north = +scotland +shetlands +orkneys
true north = +baltics +pommern/mecklenburg +ukraine

You forgot Schleswig-Holstein in The North. Though its motto is actually "The Real North", but of course that's to distinguish the state from all the Bavarians in the country.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Ah, that is fair. Slesvig-Holsten can into Nordics.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"teufteuf.fr" is a great domain name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, that what happens when you follow a fascist populist boulevard rag like Bild.