Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Platystemon posted:

On the Third of January, Earth is farthest from the Sun, its orbital motion is lowest, and thus the Sun moves through the sky the slowest. Based on the motion of the Sun, January 3 is twenty‐nine seconds longer than the mean.

3rd of January is the perihelion, closest approach to the Sun, not aphelion.

I mean, I haven't measured it myself but why would Wikipedia lie to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

luxury handset posted:

nyc is great if you're rich

not so much if you're normal

we have to break out of the mid 20th century paradigm of coastal cities being beacons of bohemian culture and update to the 21st century paradigms of them being segregated playgrounds for the wealthy

Having spent the last week in Sydney, I concur. Anything close to the coast or harbour belongs to the elite.

Surrounded by a hellscape of traffic and miserable people servicing the elite.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

All of that change and they still didn’t separate the loving North Queenslanders off into their own pro coal pro slavery state.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

adoration for none posted:

There's a little nuance to that, in the sense that nationalism isn't inherent to human nature. Modern nation states appeared only a few hundred years ago. The "mechanism" you describe of people naturally categorizing in-groups and out-groups is true though.

In a sense, modern nation states are sort of a refutation of this as well. Every European country is a hodge-podge of different languages and cultures, and nationalism managed to absorb some of these smaller "nationalities" into larger ones, some more successfully than others.

Ironically many modern ideologies basically boil down to "actually you belong to a different in-group", for good or bad. My personal im14andthisisdeep take. I think I just said "I agree" in so many words.

Could this be summarised as “tribalism”, which is an inherent attribute of Great Apes, or is that far too simplistic?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yup. And vastly more accurate than a pistol. Longer barrel means you can shoot a more stable bullet faster and straighter. This is in addition to it being easier to aim and put optics and such on.

Hence why armies don't deploy their line infantry with pistols.

Isn’t the big difference the rifling in barrels helping to spin stabilise the projectile?

Do handguns have any rifling? It’d be far less of course.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

luxury handset posted:

pretty much all small arms are rifled. the big difference between a pistol and a rifle in terms of accuracy is that the shorter barrel = less accuracy, and also a weapon with a stock you can brace against your shoulder is easier to aim. even things like having a trigger that's hard or heavy to pull can make a pistol less accurate, because as you squeeze the trigger the gun rotates a bit in your hands if you're not holding it right

really the biggest advantage of pistols is that they are relatively small and pocket sized, so it's a better gun to carry around if you need to be carrying a gun around all day for whatever reason but aren't really expecting to use it that often. sort of like the multitool of firearms as opposed to lugging around a full sized tool box

Thanks, good to know that calling long arms rifles was to distinguish them from smooth bore weapons, not handguns etc.

These distinctions might be obvious to arms bearers but it is a mystery to me.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

The Greeks have had a rough go of things, but they are pretty crafty when it comes to tax evasion. See also the permanently-empty “family restaurants”/“cafes” that exist in basically every tiny village. In practice they’re just an extended family room with a kitchen attached that exist for tax breaks. They’ll serve you a frappe and have some sad tyropitas or cookies available for sale but they’re always surprised when any non-resident of the village rolls in.

Yeah I remember hearing that when the Eurozone financial crisis hit, Greece decided to audit the number of swimming pools in Athens as you had to pay a levy if you had a pool.

Instead of the 300 or so pools that were registered, auditing satellite imagery found nearly 17,000 pools.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Believing Koreans are a separate species isn't that uncommon in my experience living there. I had to go to a different doctor once when I was told he'd only studied Korean biology so couldn't help me.

Did you blow his mind by telling him that your species is immune to fan death?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I always thought that BO was predominately caused by bacteria and skin flora rather than internally produced chemicals. I guess different chemicals would allow different bacteria to thrive though.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

It would still make infinitely more sense to have a conventional structure of interconnected lines for your metro / rail to minimize the longest potential distance you have to travel to get from one place to another. A straight line is never going to be an efficient way to organize anything on a two dimensional plane.

I read that the Pentagon (building) was a super efficient layout with a comparatively short walking time between any two points yet covers a massive area.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

This map is useless, it doesn't differentiate between freight lines, commuter lines, subways and elevated rail. Pick up your game.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Now I'm wondering, did anyone manage to make a terrible planned pre-car city? Or is the problem with planned cities less to do with not growing organically, and more to do with literally not being designed for humans?

Although not a pre-car city, Canberra managed to do reasonably well. The layout is pretty good although the Parliamentary Triangle (monuments district) didn't really have a walkable scale until recently as new buildings have filled some of the space. Not that pleasant to walk around on a cold winter day or stifling hot summer day.

The city is car dependant and I think the issues with public transport have been one of population. It's not big enough to have mass transit and the busses turn a 20 minute car journey into a 45 minute minimum, sometimes 2 hour, journey.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking at wikipedia, it seems less an issue of population and more of density. Like, the population density of the metro region is apparently a little below the entire country of the Netherlands?

Yeah the plan was to build low density with satellite cities and garden suburbs. The last 20 years though the local government has had a policy of urban infill, with greenfields development in a lot of the open tracts and promoting medium density housing as replacement for old housing stock.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

It's longstanding tradition to move your capital to a planned city once you feel the original one is inconvenient for whatever reason.

And sometimes it works out! Ottawa, Canberra, and D.C. are all perfectly reasonable cities and less crowded than the metropolises they replaced. Never been to St. Petersburg but from what I've seen it looks somewhat nicer than Moscow.

Canberra happened because Melbourne and Sydney had a longstanding slap fight over who should be the capital of the new federation. The compromise was that the capital would be in NSW but at least 100 miles from Sydney.

The parliamentarians at the time thought that colder climates were better suited for great capitals and so sought out the current high-ish altitude location. Also remote from the sea as naval bombardment was still considered a significant risk.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

By 2025 Brits will be resorting to cannibalism and either fighting for or being raided by one of several warring neo-barbarian factions.

I think by 2023 Brits are going to be burning wheelbarrows full of hyper-inflated pound sterling just to keep warm.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

evilbastard posted:

Australian summer time it is slightly weirder, where we have an additional timezone Australia/Eucla that is GMT+8:45. This makes this region with around 200 permanent residents one of only two quarter-hour timezones (the other being Nepal with GMT +5:45).
We have Norfolk Island at GMT+12 which does have Summer Time, although the countries near it do not.
Also, Broken Hill in New South Wales actually follows ACDT South Australian time because Adelaide is closer to them, and they just want to be annoying.

This map is Cocos (Keeling) Island erasure and I won't stand for it.

(UTC+6:30 if anyone was wondering)

Christmas Island also shamefully omitted (UTC+7:00)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only universally popular US map is the one that still has Rhodesia and two Germanys at your kids' school.

It provides useful context on keeping up with events in Democratic Kampuchea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Anecdote on how Australia's GST (goods and services tax - VAT) works:

As a consumer I don't think about it, I pay the price on the label. My receipt will show that some/most/all of the items had GST included in the price, which is 10% on top of the non-GST price. E.g. a $11 item was $10 + $1 GST. Again, as a consumer this doesn't matter.

As a business owner, I collect the GST in my sales, and anything I buy I pay the GST on. Every three months I do a BAS - business activity statement. I tell the tax office how much GST I've collected from customers. I tell the tax office how much GST I've paid as a consumer to other businesses.

They subtract the GST I paid from the GST I owe, and issue me a refund or a bill.

It's far more complicated to read than to do. The intent is that GST only applies once, at the final sale.

"Essential items" such as fresh food and medical items are exempt from GST.